Conquest of the World

Don't you just love allies (like the byzantines) who sneak up and capture a city you've been attacking? You do all the hard work and then they take it without a fight.

Are you considering ending your alliance with the Byzantines because of this?

Don't you just love allies (like the byzantines) who sneak up and capture a city you've been attacking? You do all the hard work and then they take it without a fight.

Are you considering ending your alliance with the Byzantines because of this?

Well, usually it's the human that does that to the AI, so I can't complain too much. But this is why I'm considering ending the alliance - they've done it with Tsingtao and Nanking now, if they keep it up, they'll take half the cities I try to conquer.

choxorn said:
So let's see, the following:
China
Portugal
Zulu
Scandinavia

Are all about to die?

Sounds about right.

Well, usually it's the human that does that to the AI, so I can't complain too much. But this is why I'm considering ending the alliance - they've done it with Tsingtao and Nanking now, if they keep it up, they'll take half the cities I try to conquer.

May be nice to have a powerful ally to counter your powerful enemies?

1966 AD - We discover Fission!

Nuclear Power will be our next technology. :nuke:

Paris and Argos complete our first Offshore Platforms this turn. Many more are scheduled to be completed soon.

Speaking of Australia, it continues to look more and more like a nuclear war zone. Two workers clearing pollution just isn't enough. We're up to 40 tons all in all - over 2% of our land is polluted. Pollution is having considerable negative affect on production of everything, including food, in Australia and Java. There's still no global warming, though.

Checking the damage from Korea, we see all our bombers in Beijing survived, but nearly all are worse for the wear. We start our counterattack on Namp'o.

Rats! They built Fighters, too! Hmm, the first-ever Air Force war isn't looking good.

Our next bombing run failed. Great start guys, great start.

Not exactly what we were going for to end up getting the Stock Exchange, but better than nothing.

One of the next three runs damages a unit, one reduces the population, and the other fails. I immediately bring my first Fliegerabwehrkanone to Beijing to defend my skies.

Our efforts against Persia aren't especially successful, either. No Destroyers are destoyed, just a barracks. We need more planes.

At least my aircraft-carrier planes are doing well. They destroy the Hittites' last source of Rubber this turn.

Meanwhile, I seek to export some resources to help fund further nuclear research. Unfortunately, the war has really devastated the world's economies. None of my allies can offer more than 4 gold per turn. Persia can offer 85 gold per turn. But that's not the most important thing.

Look who else has Flight...and he doesn't look too happy with us, either. Korea can only offer 45 gold per turn, and mercifully is no more advanced than Persia. We make peace with neither. Our massive gold stockpiles should last a few years at least. But this war could get really ugly if Persia starts building planes.

While we wait for more Fliegerabwehrkanones, we can at least focus our efforts in the East to avoid excessive bombing damage. Ajax will start our newest advance in East Asia, against the Spanish city of Toledo.

Ajax destroys three defenders, but one more exists. We need more troops in the area, but Ajax should be able to take at least Toledo next turn.

Troops aren't going to arrive there, however, before we save the Zulu from Mongol domination. To do that, we first must win at least one uphill battle.

The first tank retreats from the mountain-Infantry. The second wins, and only after that do I realize I should've bombarded with my ancient Trebuchet first. Oh well. The path is now cleared to save Zululand from the barbaric Mongols. Taking care to cancel all deals and have no troops in their land, we then declare war.

Five tanks immediately head towards Zimbabwe. It will be attacked next turn. Meanwhile, two armies target the Chinese city of Canton, and my Marines approach Leiria. The weak civilizations are in big danger.

1966 IBT - We count eight bomber runs over Beijing this turn.

The Vikings ally with the Ottomans against Babylon. My task is to make sure that alliance is short-lived :).

Turns out the Chinese only had one Spearman in Canton - I should've attacked. Instead the Byzantines do.

The Spearman defeats their Infantry, but falls to their Cavalry. The Byzantines are doing OK for themselves. I'll try to take Chengdu instead.

Or maybe I will take Canton. Thank you, Persia!

Oh yeah, back to back updates.

Don't you just hate it when the AI takes cities that are rightfully yours?
With Canton, a spearman losing 3 hp and knocking 7 off is pretty good. Especially against units with 6 attack. It seems that the old ways are best. (or the current ways for China :lol: )

By the way, is Flak really short for Fliegerabwehrkanone?

Wow, the Byzantines just love capturing cities that you attack - and at the last minute.

As far as the bombing of Beijing, that sucks. 8 bombers in one turn, not good. Is that the Korean air force?

Don't you just love it when your enemies give you a present?

I see :nuke: on the horizon...

By the way, is Flak really short for Fliegerabwehrkanone?

Yep. Learned that aways back from the Civilopedia.

Brucha said:
As far as the bombing of Beijing, that sucks. 8 bombers in one turn, not good. Is that the Korean air force?

The Korean Air Force indeed. It's rather impressive.

choxorn said:
Don't you just love it when your enemies give you a present?

I'd rather give them a present :cool:.

:lol: That's funny! The Byzantines pull a city steal, only to have the Persians steal it back... Looks Like Canton may have to be added to that list of "Cities that change hands an awful bloody lot!"

I immediately bring my first Fliegerabwehrkanone to Beijing to defend my skies.

Actually, according to my German textbook, Flak (or anti-aircraft weapon) is Flugzeugabwehrkanone.
No, I do not know why my German 101 textbook has the word for AA-weapons in it, but it does.:confused:

Why did you only have two pollution-cleaners in Australia anyway? Wouldn't you want at least four, since you're not an industrial civ?

Heck, if it's that polluted, just rush 10 or so workers there!

Actually, according to my German textbook, Flak (or anti-aircraft weapon) is Flugzeugabwehrkanone.

I thought I'd seen alternate meanings, so I looked into it. This Wikipedia page on the FlaK 30 uses Fliegerabwehrkanone, as the Civiliopedia did. But this one talks of Flugzeugabwehrkanone, as does your German textbook. And this site, about 1/7th of the way down, says,

FlaK-Fliegerabwehrkanone (German) AA artillery; also sometimes given as Flugabwehrkanone or Flugzeugabwehrkanone

(note the third term in italics)

The German Wikipedia Flak page begins,

Unter einer Flugabwehrkanone (auch Fliegerabwehrkanone genannt, kurz Flak)

Indicating Flugabwehrkanone is the most used term and Fliegerabwehrkanone is second. Flugzeugabwehrkanone is probably the third most-used term if Wikipedia is to be trusted. But it appears all three are interchangeable, at least in general usage. Perhaps there is a difference when referring to specific models, but I'd have to ask a Flak historian about that. In general anti-aircraft gun terms, they are one and the same.

Google Translate did yield a slight difference, however.

German Terms said:
Flugabwehrkanone

Flugzeugabwehrkanone

Fliegerabwehrkanone

English Translation said:
Air gun

Air gun

Antiaircraft Gun

Looking at it more in detail, Flugzeugabwehr and Flugabwehr translated as Air defense, and Fliegerabwehr translated as Antiaircraft. So it's a case of air defence gun vs. anti-air gun. Basically the same thing. It's like debating whether to to spell defense with an s or a c.

ChaosArbiter said:
No, I do not know why my German 101 textbook has the word for AA-weapons in it, but it does.:confused:

:lol: Maybe it was made in 1944 or 1945?

ChaosArbiter said:
Why did you only have two pollution-cleaners in Australia anyway? Wouldn't you want at least four, since you're not an industrial civ?

I'm not very good with training workers. Probably ought to train a few more. Basically it's all the captured French and Russian workers, which there aren't too many of, spending most of their time completing the rail network and just a bit on clearing pollution.

Logitech said:
Besides, We wouldn't want my prophacy to come true so quickly, now would we? :evil: :vile: :evillyvile:

I guess not! But wasn't your prophecy that they would declare war on me? I'll have to double-check that.

Hikaro Takayama said:
:lol: That's funny! The Byzantines pull a city steal, only to have the Persians steal it back... Looks Like Canton may have to be added to that list of "Cities that change hands an awful bloody lot!"

I'm hoping that once I take it it it won't change hands at all ;).

Your military looks pretty over-extended...but you're still faring very well. Your enemies must really suck. Balls. Construction of nuclear plants should allow you to build a larger army, though, which is good. Unless you're already paying upkeep, in which case I'd make peace with your more minor foes (everyone but Zululand, Persia, and Korea).

Zululand is a major foe? :wow: j/k, I know that you mean to go ahead and finish them off.

Yeah, my military is a bit overextended. I've got about 240 units, spread over about 105 cities. About 60 of those are non-land units (workers, artillery, Flak, aircraft, ships, Army units, so about 180 land units over 105 cities - since I do have a few more than 105 troops on guard duty, it's a bit stretched. Support is about 360, so I can support more once I get them built. The big problem is I'm spending tons of shields increasing production (Offshore Platforms) rather than building military units. Nuclear Plants will go up in the New World and Australia/Oceania, but I'm sticking with Hydro in the Old World since I've already got it and it's pollution-free. Australia could really use some pollution-free power plants.

1967 AD - The Korean bombing runs destroyed all my bombers in Beijing. Korea now has more bombers than me. :eek: I up Flak production. We need more Flak to get even in the air war. For now, we're advancing despite Korean air supremacy. In military science ignoring enemy air supremacy may well be considered suicide, but we're hoping our land troops are strong enough to win anyways.

Mongolia one-upped my effort to "liberate" Zululand from them, placing Cavalry directly between my Tanks and Zimbabwe. We decide to try for Hlobane, farther south, but not to devote any more Tanks to the front.

Agamemnon leads the assault on Canton. This could end bloodily, with all the Korean bombers about, but the good news is Persia is too low on troops to retake the city, and Korea has started whipping their cities - more enemies in the short term but fewer in the long term.

Canton falls, and Ulysses leads his army to take Chengdu, the last Chinese city. But as China still has five Spearmen, it's safe for now.

Leiria won't be as fortunate. Naval bombardment hurts only a docked Carrack, but Elite Marines are a force to be reckoned with, especially if you're a Pikeman.

Leiria falls. Our Galleon moves forward - just far enough to threaten Portugal's last city of Odense. More Marines leave the Galleon to assault Portugal's last bastion.

It falls no less easily than Leiria. Portugal is destroyed.

Toledo, in Spain, also falls this turn, with no reinforcements arriving to aid its weak Guerillas.

1967 IBT - The dreaded Korean Bomber runs come again. At least our troops recover quickly enough to not be killed by them. And we finally get some good news!

The Byzantines try to take Chengdu by themselves. Three Spearmen die, but the city holds. Hopefully I will be the one to take it :D.

The Hittites counterattack in South America. They do OK this time around, but not good enough to take Tarsus.

In wars not involving me, they took the Ottoman city of Iznik, but, despite the Hittites having cut off their line of supply, the Ottomans succeeded in retaking Corihuayrachina. Quite a strange war. My troops are outside the megalopolis of Ugarit just waiting to attack. I'm considering going into all-out good-ol'fashioned medieval siege mode, rather than just shelling and bombing.

Persia requests peace from me this turn. I brazenly decline. Bring on your worst, Xerxes. See if a few new bombers stop us.

Turns out he just bombards the Byzantines and retreats his troops from the gates of Canton. Now I'll really not fear him when he requests peace.

In Africa, Mongolia attacks Zimbabwe with a great number of Cavalry, but miraculously the Zulu defenders hold. Looks like we might get a chance to rescue Zimbabwe from the Mongols after all!

1968 AD - While checking with my domestic adisor, I finally get a message I've been yearning to get ever since I knew it existed!

Sleep is for the weak! :lol: Now this is just taunting me to play another turn...so I do!

In South America, I move into full siege mode against the Hittites. It's old-fashioned, but when you don't have overwhelming numbers, it can be the best method.

Our African troops are ready to advance. Zululand has conscript Riflemen guarding Zimbabwe - evidently they got Nationalism just in a nick of time before the Mongols assaulted. Tanks are a different beast than Cavalry, however.

Zimbabe falls to us, and grants us enough territory to get two Tanks immediately next to Hlobane for next turn. Perhaps the Zulu will avoid the Mongol yoke after all.

In the Asian theatre, our Marines who just defeated Portugal seek to take the English city of Birka, attacked half a decade ago and since forgotten.

They can't even gain a beachhead. We'll need ground forces here. It's proving just as difficult to take as it was last time.

The odds are much more in our favour at Trondheim, the last Viking city.

The gold will help considerably in keeping up research. With staggering defecits of 650 GPT+, and no one with money to trade with, we feel like we're trying to delay the inevitable while we keep research at 100% to finish Nuclear Power in four turns.

Even more doomed than the Vikings is China.

Theodoros Kolokotronis easily takes Chengdu, and yet another civilization falls.

Unfortunately at this point Civilization III crashes with an unable to allocate draw buffer error. Apparently the program disagrees with my advisor that sleep is for the weak. Well, I'll agree with the program and get some more sleep before replaying from the beginning of 1968.

1968 AD Redux - I resume that game two days later, having slept three of the past thirty-two hours (yeah, lots of real life work, hence the lack of an update in there for awhile. I played this about a week ago). Sleep is for the weak! Civilization forever!

It is only in the conquest of Trondheim that I at last make a slight mistake while trying to re-make my moves exactly as before, forgetting not take out a guerilla before the entire civilization. It does not matter; in the end the only difference is whether a Tank of Mech Inf loses a hitpoint. China stills falls, and this time, an error does not occur after China is eliminated.

At this point I stumble upon a great windfall. The Hittites have garrisoned the city of Iznik with a pikeman. Hardly believing our luck, we send the tanks that just arrived in the New World in to take the city.

It takes two tanks, as a Cavalry was also in the city, but Iznik falls easily. We hope our Ironclad in the South-East Pacific can achieve similar victory.

Just the opposite occurs.

English ironclads facing a Battleship fare much worse, as expected.

Our expansion is exhausted for this turn, but once again, a dangerous attack is planned for the next.

1968 IBT -

Korea once again targets Beijing in bombing. Excellent. One plane is shot down. They will regret their decision to continue targeting Beijing.

The Byzantines Cavalry make short work of some Persian Marines in western Asia. A Byzantine ship that I could not see, meanwhile, sinks a Persian Destroyer while on the defensive. Chances are it was more advanced than a Dromon - I'm guessing the Byzantines now have destroyers.

England also has destroyers now, and used one to sink my Battleship in the Beiring Strait. We begin construction on a replacement the next turn.

America, meanwhile, has entirely eliminated the Byzantines and Spanish from mainland North America. As such, they finally are attacking the Aztecs:

...at Xochicalco! As far as I know, Tlacopan has not been attacked. Xochicalco proves a tough city for the American Cavalry to crack, and it takes eight or nine attacks to defeat the three defenders. But it is a definite advance in the movement to defeat the Aztecs.

"We have destroyed the not very strong Chinese"

Heh. Heh. Photo editing much?

Finally, the Americans are attacking the Aztecs. With all those Korean air attacks, doesn't it make sense to attack Korea? If you take out their core, they won't be air strikin' no more. And it slows the possibility of AI tanks.

"We have destroyed the not very strong Chinese"

:lol:

3 more civs gone, 1 to be gone in a turn or so. That will leave 16 civs, right?

Greece (You)
Babylon
America
Japan
Persia
Aztecs
England
Mongols
Spain
Ottomans
Korea
Sumeria
Hittites
Byzantines
Inca
Maya

The Following 15 are dead now, or, in the case of Zululand, will die in a turn or so:

Rome
Celts
Netherlands
Portugal
Scandinavia
China
Egypt
Arabia
Carthage
Germany
France
Russia
Iroquois
India
Zululand

15 out of 30 AI civs conquered. Your work is half-way done!

Oh, and BTW, World Map?

Top Bottom