Conquest of the World

1971 AD - I realize I'm focusing a bit too much on increasing commerce and production after our cumulative number of new units the past two turns in Asia/Africa is a measly seven, one being an airplane. That's just p-i-t-itiful, especially for an empire with production as great as ours. We decide to forego a couple Stock Exchanges for now to start getting more Tanks out in the field. We can't even use the excuse that our borders are secure anymore!

Fortunately the Byzantines didn't get any troops in to Bangalore other than that one Cavalry. Thus we decide to teach them a lesson they will not soon forget in retaking the city.

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

Our new Mech Inf then reinforces Lugdunum, where Leonidas had been, and our new Tank attacks Trebizond - and loses. We then send in the two-tank Army of Dienekes.

That ought to stop those incursions once and for all!

It is only now that we realize we lack a Byzantine spy. We try to plant one, but fail, and the spy is killed. By this point, Theodora is genuinely furious at us.

Remarkable, despite our troop crunch, quite evident in Dienekes' Army, we still can advance. The next advance is against Namp'o.

There are four units in the city, but all fall. We capture two Artillery and destroy a Hwach'a. The Korean Air Force apparently evacuated. We are able to advance one Flak to Namp'o in case they target it during the IBT.

Our next attack is against the first Ottoman city southeast of Tenochtitlan, Tlatelolco.

One tank is destroyed, but the city is taken. That's one small step towards reinforcement!

We even are able to take the second step, thanks to railroads!

Defensively, we move our two Tanks outside Texcoco (on the Mayan border) inside the size 8 city, and move two Infantry to the hilly terrain south of the newly captured Tlaxcala, creating a blockade. I figure it's the best method to keep the Ottomans from gaining back either of the two newly captured cities.

Taken from that far out, it doesn't look too bad.

Far away in northeastern Russia, we attack the Spanish capital of Madrid.

It doesn't fall this turn, but likely will next turn.

1971 IBT -

My Hoplites destroy the Marines that attack them!!! I knew I could count on Leonidas to defend Bangalore.

Strangely Korea doesn't use their Air Force against me this turn, either. Perhaps they retreated it again, from the now-front-line city of Seoul. Either way, I now have a Fighter in Namp'o.

Korea attempts to take Chendgu, but fails.

Sadly, the Ottomans succeed at taking Ankuwa. Two Infantry fell before the city was lost.

The Inca then come to me with an olive branch.

Hmm, I like his analogy. In more peaceful time I might keep the war going, but we have no need for that, so we make peace. Two embargoes end with our war, but once again, both were with civilizations I'm still at war with.

The Hittites sent a large number of Cavalry north towards Bursa. I'm mystified at first, as they don't attack me, but then remember the Hittites and Ottomans are still at war. I don't complain; my enemies fighting each other, especially in South America, is just what we need right now. In the end the Hittites actually capture Bursa. Fortunately I had destroyed the connection to the Rubber by the city just months before, denying them Rubber yet again :D!

They also landed an Infantry by Zimbabwe, but the Mongols destroyed it. It is good to have friends.

Georgios Diotrephes had been in the military for six years, serving guard duty in Texcoco. Despite the war across the globe and Greece's prominant position in conflict, it had been a peaceful service and quite enjoyable, really - until the Mayan War started last year. Suddenly his paradise became dangerous, and the "weaker" of the two civilizations to the north became feared. For several months it was feared the Americans would join the Maya, and while that fear had subsided somewhat, even with just the Maya to face life was not fun.

The first Mayan attacks in 1970 had been great in number, but not particularly strong. Their Cavalry were simply too easy of targets, and few made it into the city. Now, however, a great Infantry offensive was approaching, with modern submachine guns and sniper rifles. The potential for death was much higher.

Georgios specialized in manning fixed machine guns, and had become one of the most accurate machine gunners over the past year. He was stationed on a rooftop near the edge of the city the day of the first attack. He stayed low as the Mayans first approached, letting the snipers pick off troops before they reached machine gun range, and when they approached closer, took the gun.

Georgios was a devastating foe, and was able to kill a good number of the quickly-approaching troops. "That'll teach 'em!" he yelled as his machine gun cooled down. He reached down to grab some water before starting firing again, and as he did so two pings came from the concrete wall behind him. Looking back, he saw two bullet holes immediately behind where his head had just been. "Get down!" he yelled to the fellow machine gunners near him. "Snipers!" Hitting the deck, he realized what a lucky chance it was that he had reached down for water when he did. A few second either way and he wouldn't be here right now.

The rest of the day went uneventfully. Within a couple minutes several Mayan snipers had been killed by Greek snipers, and the machine gunners were back at their guns. The masses of Mayan troops were turned back, and only a few Greeks lost their lives that day. But many more Mayans were marching towards the city.

The next day, the Mayans launched another attack. This day, Gergios was defending an important thoroughfare that had been lost temporarily the day before. There was less action for him, but he had to always keep a quick eye for any troops jumping in. He was the center gunner in the formation of three, and while thus not guarding the sides, there were many side streets down the road that Mayans could suddenly appear from.

About 11:00 in the morning, he heard a cry from the gunner to his right, who collapsed nearly immediately. He pivoted his gun to the far right, but didn't see anyone in his range. That either meant a sniper or someone to the extreme right, beyond his gun's range. Scanning quickly for snipers, he saw none. His instinct then told him to move quickly for his own life, and as he jumped back from his gun, a hail of gunfire opened on his position from his right. Rolling backwards below the bullets, he thought quickly. The machine gun on his right was useless - the Mayans obviously had that position overwhelmed. "Arrrrr - Mayan near the storefront!" yelled the soldier at the left machine gun, then collapsing himself. Georgios was now by himself - failing to kill him, they had decided to kill the other machine gunner. At least he knew where they were now. Getting up and running to the right side of the street, but still behind the cover of the building on the corner, he grabbed his knife. Half a second later, the Mayan soldier appeared around the corner, a mere six feet from him. Before he had a chance to kill the Mayan, the Mayan saw him and turned his gun. Diving into the dirt street, Georgios still clung to the hope that he could survive.

The Mayan opened fire, and Georgios scrambled. A bullet grazed his arm, and another reflected off his helmet, but somehow he survived. Then the bullets stopped. Realizing the soldier had to reload, Georgios ran towards him with the knife. The soldier, seeing this, grabbed a pistol from his belt. Though unable to fire at Georgios in time, managed to parry the first attempted stab with the pistol, and Georgios's knife went just to the left of his neck. Georgios then readied a second blow, but soon found himself several feet away from the soldier, having been knocked backwards by a sudden kick to the chest. Blasted martial arts, he though. The soldier aimed his pistol, and Georgios felt his lucky streak end. He felt sure this would be his end, that he couldn't dodge this magazine of bullets.

Nevertheless, he managed to dodge the first bullet. As he did, he heard the sound of more Mayans behind the first one. Even if he did survive this magazine, against more than one enemy he was toast. He had to get a gun - he had to kill this Mayan now. He couldn't afford a hand-to-hand battle. Thus as the Mayan moved to fire the trigger a second time, he rose his hand with the knife. The second bullet fired, and hit his left shoulder. Pain erupted from his shoulder, but the Mayan had hit the wrong one. A tenth of a second later, the knife left his right hand, heading right towards the Mayan's heart. The Mayan saw this, and quickly fired another two rounds, both missing Georgios in the Mayan's panic. Then the knife hit him just below the heart, killing him almost instantly.

Georgios, forgetting the pain in his left shoulder, ran forward to the fallen Mayan and grabbed his pistol. Three bullets remained. Before he even had a chance to find more magazines, two Mayans appeared around a corner on the street to the right of the Greek machine gun nest. Aiming the pistol, he fired and killed the first one with two bullets to the chest before the Mayans even realized where he was. The second then fired a slew of bullets towards him, not bothering to properly aim beforehand. Several hit the first Mayan, already dead, but Georgios again was not hit. Aiming carefully, he fired his last bullet, and the Mayan fell with a bullet through the skull. Not hearing any other Mayans at the time, Georgios radioed back to headquarters to report the situation.

"We can't send any reinforcements, Private Diotrephes. The Mayans are overwhelming positions across the city. Everyone is already deployed. A medic will be by shortly with ice, but that's all we can spare. Best of luck," was his answer. It was that the Mayans were winning that concerned Georgios the most. He could deal with the pain, but the city possibly falling? That was the worst.

Around 5:00 that evening, he was still alive and remarkably at his position. But the Mayans wanted that to end. Several dozen submachinegunners came out from side streets down the street at once, and though firing as quickly as he could, Georgios was overwhelmed. He got down behind the sandbags while he still had time to think of a plan. Looking down the street, he saw a metal produce cart in front of a store that he thought he could reach. He sprinted there as fast as he could, and survived. He then took the dead Mayan's SMG off his back, and reached around the box, killing as many of the Mayans as he could. He thought he might actually have a chance when five grenades landed beside him almost at the same time. He could throw back one, but not five at once. Turning towards the store, he thrust his gun through the window, and jumped in after it. Dashing for cover, he hid behind a counter. Half a second later, the grenades exploded, tearing up the cart and then front of the store, and ruining Georgios's gun, but sparing Georgios. He then ran towards the front and started up the stairs. As he ascended, he heard the Mayans running to the cart to make sure he was dead. He continued up the stairs towards the roof, and heard the Mayans rush inside when they saw no evidence of his death. Apparently they considered him too dangerous to leave alive.

He thought he might be safe until he heard them climbing the stairs as well. Looking back, he realized his boots were muddy and had left footprints. Blast it! he thought. Taking off his boots, he looked around from the roof. The alley on the building's left side was narrow, and the building across it was slightly lower. Taking his chances as he heard the Mayans approaching, he jumped across the gap. Landing painfully, he got up quickly and managed to get below a door leading to the top floor before the Mayans reached the roof of the store. He listened carefully to them talk.

"Where's he gone?"

"Must be on this roof somewhere. There's all kinds of rubbish up here. Check the whole place. Be careful - he might have gotten inside of something, too."

Georgios breathed a sigh of relief. Normally the fifty items on the store's roof were nothing but an eyesore, but he sure was glad for them now. Looking around, he saw he was in an apartment, abandoned a few days ago in light of the Mayan advance. He doubted it would be searched, but to be safe, he searched until he found an unlocked door, and then slipped in and found some knives. Now feeling secure, he telephoned in the news to the headquarters.

"Glad you're alive," responded the sergeant. "We're sending some tanks your way in about an hour and a half. Keep your eyes open. We'll have you man a machine gun on one of them."

By this time nearly all the Infantry corps had fallen in Texcoco. Bringing out the tanks, vulnerable to bazooka fire and damaging to any buildings they hit, was a last resort, but it was better than losing the city.

Around 7:00, Georgios saw the tanks approaching, and joined one on the street. They moved forwards quickly, pushing back the Mayans at impressive rates. But half an hour into their expedition, there was a terrible bang, and flames erupted from the tank's rear. A disguised Mayan had hit them from behind. Georgios wheeled the turret around and killed the Mayan, but the tank was lost. He jumped out of the tank and into a police station by the roadside, just before the tank exploded from the fire. His crewmates were lost, but again he had survived. Taking stock of the situation, he realized his fortune at being in a police station. Radioing back to headquarters, however, he found the overall fate of the military was more like that of his crewmates in the tank.

"They're just too numerous. They're losing more soldiers than we are, but we don't have enough tanks. The city is all but lost. Can you get back to a barracks?"

"Doubtful, sir. We've been fighting an awful lot of Mayans in these parts." Georgios said. At that moment, he heard banging on the police station door he had locked a moment before. He quickly grabbed a police officer's pistol, just as the door caved in. Four Mayans rushed in. He fired quickly, and killed one. But the others then turned on him, firing mercilessly with submachine guns. Georgios was hit numerous times, but continued firing until his pistol was out of bullets. Half a second thereafter he succumbed to the storm, and fell to the ground, lifeless. The Battle of Texcoco had been lost.

Those evil Mayans!

Judging from the strange disappearance of Aztec culture in the Upper-right of the screenie, It would appear as though America has decided to capture Calixtahuaca and not Tlacopan?

They're actually only staying up until 0307 and 0350 ;)

Wow. Too bad you couldn't get to the Mountains blocking the isthmus, the Ottomans would never knock you off those. I like the Galley in the screenshot with Leonidas taking out a Marine!
Have you had the chance to fortify the Mountains around Tenochtitlan, are you just going to hold them off from the city itself, or are you going to counterattack?

Nice story about the Texcoccan defense, Quint. Anyway, curse those foul Mayas. How many infantry did they lose?

Thanks. They killed about 7, all but one of them to my Tanks.

Wow. Too bad you couldn't get to the Mountains blocking the isthmus, the Ottomans would never knock you off those. I like the Galley in the screenshot with Leonidas taking out a Marine!
Have you had the chance to fortify the Mountains around Tenochtitlan, are you just going to hold them off from the city itself, or are you going to counterattack?

The mountains would have been nice, but I'm sure I'd have been attacked while crossing the plains to reach the mountains. More Mech Inf are slowly arriving, and with them I'll be able to move forwards again. In Teotihuacan (still between the Mayans and Tenochtitlan), I'm planning to defend the city itself, as it's Mech Inf defending against Infantry and Cavalry. And not especially many at that, as the Maya are in Anarchy and did lose a lot of troops in their 1970 as well as 1971 attacks on Texcoco.

I stayed up until 2, about, and I only do that sometimes. :p

@Quint: You missed my post/question, it seems. :)

1972 AD - Near the end of last year, the Americans finally captured...

Calixtlahuaca! St. Louis was also recaptured, leaving Tlacopan as the only Aztec city on mainland North America yet to be conquered. It is the Aztec capital, and a healthy size 11.

The first priority of this turn is trying to find shelter for my troops along the Amazon. Four Bombers hammer Edrine this turn. They destroy a Barracks and Colosseum, reduce the population by 1, and take one hitpoint off an Infantry. Myergh. Not that great. Three Artillery then shell the city. Two fail; the other reduces an Infantry by two hitpoints. But there's good news!

Apparently the garrison has been reduced! Our only full-strength Tank attacks.

It does not lose a single hitpoint, despite an Artillery strike by the Ottomans, and the 2/4 Infantry is indeed now the best guard. We attack again, and win. But alas, there was a Guerilla in the city as well! We take our 2/5 Tank and attack it.

And we get a Great Leader! :woohoo: We name him Miltiades, after one of the generals at the Battle of Marathon. Now we just have to get him out of here!

Most fortunately, the capture of Edrine left a gap of neutral ground we can move him across to Iznik. We send him there immediately, and have him build an army which the two Infantry there and the one from the Amazon join. We considered a Tank army, but ultimately decided the retention of our cities was more important - if all our units got killed, we wouldn't have any leader left with which to form a Tank army.

Far away, the battle for Madrid continues. The battle is must-win for Spain, but they can't seem to stop my Army. Three more Riflemen are destroyed, but at least one Conscript remains. Eventually they'll run out of troops and the city will be ours.

Several Mech Inf were completed this turn, freeing several tanks from city-guarding duty. Thus we are able to mount an offensive against Byzantine Scandinavia.

Four tanks are able to kill the two Infantry in Stockholm. Just as I'm about to end the turn, I discover five Elite and one Veteran Tank in Valencia that I had completely forgotten about, along with eight artillery. How inconvenient for Constantinople!

Two leaders in one turn!!! :woohoo: What good luck! We'll create an army with this leader, named Gylippus after a Spartan general in the Peloponnesian War.

The three cities fall with a loss of just one tank, and the situation looks much better. We're pretty sure the Byzantines didn't like that blitz!

1972 IBT - Babylon allies with the Byzantines against Persia. I think merry thoughts until I remember the Persians aren't my enemy anymore. It's still quite confusing being allied with Persia against Byzantium rather than the other way around. I often find myself cheering the wrong events.

Yeah, about that. Short-lived conquest. At least one Infantry and the leader has been evacuated.

Our Tank defeats the Cavalry that attacks it, albeit while being redlined, despite our artillery barrage not helping. Still no idea how to evacuate the stack.

This pact means one thing: I'd better not attack England. That would mean Persia would DoW me and be furious for the alliance being over. Though I suppose it would trash their reputation, not mine. Ah, the possibilities.

The Jaguar Warrior of Tenochtitlan that landed on Borneo attacks and retreats from one of our Hoplites. For a change our favorite unit is the more modern one in a battle - and it does no worse for it.

Korea allies against Spain this turn. I doubt it will have much affect, though any conflict between the two would be good for me.

We hope to be able to figure out some way of saving our Artillery in South America next turn, while at the same time continuing our advance against the Byzantines.

Your fighting flawless conqering continuly amazes me, the AI, AND the RNG gods. (being how your hoplites keep killing newer technology.)

Okay, okay. It's not that bad a situation, at least, not the way it's playing out. Keep in mind that you still need to upgrade your core city deffenders (Hoplites), regardless of :spear:.

Oh, yeah; World Map would be helpful right now...

Your fighting flawless conqering continuly amazes me, the AI, AND the RNG gods. (being how your hoplites keep killing newer technology.)

Okay, okay. It's not that bad a situation, at least, not the way it's playing out. Keep in mind that you still need to upgrade your core city deffenders (Hoplites), regardless of :spear:.

Oh, yeah; World Map would be helpful right now...

No need to worry about the hoplites, for THIS IS SPARTAAAA!

And I second a World Map.

I think merry thoughts until I remember the Persians aren't my enemy anymore.

You're wrong; you're Greece, Persia is your natural enemy. You're just not fighting against them right now ...

Leonidas (that's the hoplite army right?) still has a fight in him, especially seeing as he'll soon have 2/6/2 stats because of all the cool army bonuses. I doubt that he'll die soon.

Logitech, I see that you have changed your title to "The Prophet." Very good!:goodjob:

I third a world map.

Quadruple :eek:

I lika blitz, ya. Three cities in one turn by five tanks. Ouch. And two leaders. Ouch.

Two leaders was a great fortune. And discovering all those tanks was a most pleasant surprise.

No need to worry about the hoplites, for THIS IS SPARTAAAA!

I agree :).

The core cities aren't in any danger anyway, why pay to upgrade them?

You're wrong; you're Greece, Persia is your natural enemy. You're just not fighting against them right now ...

Good point. Not only that, but they attacked me in 1635 AD! Still, a temporary peace did prove most advantageous in this situation.

Leonidas (that's the hoplite army right?) still has a fight in him, especially seeing as he'll soon have 2/6/2 stats because of all the cool army bonuses. I doubt that he'll die soon.

Logitech, I see that you have changed your title to "The Prophet." Very good!:goodjob:

I third a world map.

Leonidas is indeed the hoplite army (actually named "THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!" in the game).

Here's the map:

The world map zombies are satisfied- for now.

Why is Tlaxcala Ottoman in that map? I thought you captured it. :confused:

And what happened to that Japanese city in the Rockies? I thought America wasn't at war with them.

Prediction:

America will try to capture every other enemy city on the planet before it gets Tlacopan.

Tlaxcala is actually Greek. The word "Ottomans" should be moved a few pixels to the right.

The Japanese DoW'ed either the Americans or Mayans a few turns ago, and lost their city in the Rockies as a result.

Tlacopan is not the last Aztec city. They have one other city on Cuba, and, last I checked, a city or two on Hawaii.

Top Bottom