Earth 1600 AD

Lokolus

Retired...
The year is 1600 AD, The Spanish control most of the new world and Portugal colonized Africa, Asia and Brazil. But new powers are rising, The Dutch, English, French and even the Swedish start to settle the New World. Japan is thriving under Tokugawa's rule and the Ottomans are the strongest power in the world. Russia is expanding Eastwards and the Mughals are expanding South. this is the time when Empires forge, can you handle it?

Playable civs:
Spanish Empire
Portuguese Empire
English Empire
Dutch Empire
French Empire
Holy Roman Empire
Polish-Lithuanian Empire
Swedish Empire
Danish Empire
Russian Empire
Ottoman Empire
Moroccian Empire
Persian Empire
Harar Sultanate
Mughal Empire
Japanese Empire
Chinese Empire
Korean Empire

Download

Hope you Enjoy!:king:

BTS only

Thanks for providing this scenario -- one of my favorite time periods. Here are some comments.

Overall, looks pretty good. I couldn't run it for too long because it is a big scenario and my computer memory is a bit short for that. :(

I noticed the time frame runs from 1600 to 2050. Of course, that's the easier approach because you don't need to tinker much with the guts of the game. Were you intending on focusing more specifically on the earlier time period, perhaps with a timeframe ranging from 1600 to late 1700's? If so, you can modify the game's calendar to monthly or seasonal turn increments, and then set the max number of turns. The other difficulty with this is that you pretty much have to scrap the tech tree and come up with one that is more specific to the time period.

It would be nice if you could disable the ancient and medieval units so they would not appear in the build list.

You could also modify ship movements so they would better correspond to your calendar turn base. Early in the scenario it seems like a turn = 2 years. Ships can go pretty far in 2 years...

You need to double-check you city list. I found a few typos (Burdeaux instead of Bordeaux for example). I think you tried to use the historical or local national spellings, which is great, but if you do that make sure it's consistent (for example Lyons is the English spelling -- in French it's Lyon). You might want to play a bit with the sequence of city names. The game starts with a number of settlers in place for historical colonies. The first settler popping up in the unit sequence for the French would be for New Orleans -- the choice name comes up as Orleans instead (and so forth with Rheims coming up next for what would be Quebec or Montreal...). You can fix that by changing the order of the cities listed in the CIV info file IIRC. I bet the same is true of other Civs in this scenario. It's not a big thing, it's just nice if it's setup that way.

That's it for now! Good luck & thanks for the good work. :)

I don't want to make this scenario a mod, but I can make a Marathon version that will focus on the 1600-1700s. I used Lyons because it is in the French city list.

I don't want to make this scenario a mod, but I can make a Marathon version that will focus on the 1600-1700s. I used Lyons because it is in the French city list.

OK, no problem.

The French city list in the official Civ game uses the English spelling (Lyons, Marseilles, etc).

I like the time period and the concept. You may need to separate Christianity into at least 3 sects. At A minimum you would need the Roman, Protestant and Eastern Churches.

The main conflicts in western Europe were more "We hate our brothers and sisters of the faith".

For simplicity's sake England, Scotland, the Lowlands and Hanse towns, Switzerland and the HRE were primarily some manner of Protestant persuasion. France, Spain, Portugal, Austria and the somehow misplaced Vatican States, were Roman. Poland vacillated between Roman and Eastern, Russia was Eastern.

BTW Elizabeth dies in 1603 and the strongly autocratic Stuarts arrive with James VI and I. So the Civics change radically, until 1688 when they change again, and again radically.

The religious question was absolutely the driving factor of just about every thing that happened west of the Don River for this entire period.

I like the time period and the concept. You may need to separate Christianity into at least 3 sects. At A minimum you would need the Roman, Protestant and Eastern Churches.

The main conflicts in western Europe were more "We hate our brothers and sisters of the faith".

For simplicity's sake England, Scotland, the Lowlands and Hanse towns, Switzerland and the HRE were primarily some manner of Protestant persuasion. France, Spain, Portugal, Austria and the somehow misplaced Vatican States, were Roman. Poland vacillated between Roman and Eastern, Russia was Eastern.

BTW Elizabeth dies in 1603 and the strongly autocratic Stuarts arrive with James VI and I. So the Civics change radically, until 1688 when they change again, and again radically.

The religious question was absolutely the driving factor of just about every thing that happened west of the Don River for this entire period.

I think bcr1776 has a valid point here.

Starting as the Dutch at war with Spain/Portugal I noticed some oddities:
- they start with a city in Southern Chili (?I know the Dutch were more succesful against the Portuguese - which you simulate rather good elsewhere onthe map - and for a time held some territory in Northeast Brazil); the Guyana colony (Surinam) was actually traded w/the English for New Amsterdam/New York later in the 17th century;
- where's Brussels (the main focus of the Spanish in their war against the infidel Dutch; for the Dutch it was a 80 Years War of independence)? There should be a Spanish army there;
- Batavia (on Java) should actually be on the westernmost tip (where the Mountain square is; the Dutch didn't control all of Java until much later as their primary target was wresting control of the spice trade from the Portuguese.

By the way, great job on this one!:thumbsup:

Could the one who rated the scenario as 3 stars can tell me the problems in the scenario? If you don't like the scenario at least tell me why.

Could the one who rated the scenario as 3 stars can tell me the problems in the scenario? If you don't like the scenario at least tell me why.

I've run some comparisons, and I think you're overreacting here. Personally I think getting 5 stars - if that's what you're hinting at - implies that something perfect has just arrived. (I've also noticed that the rating system isn't crystal-clear if you're not American, but hey...) I personally think your Earth 1790 AD scenario is better balanced and more rounded out - which is actually reflected in the rating it got. A 3-star rating also doesn't imply that someone doesn't like a scenario (if you don't like it, why rate it at all?). Also, I wouldn't say there are problems, rather some things that might be improved. (Several have been mentioned in the previous posts.)

And finally, yes, I did give it 3 stars - if I'd known how you'd react, I wouldn't have rated it at all...

Peace, brother!

:ar15: :run:

I don't have a problem about rating my scenario a 3 stars, but at least say things more specific than "not balanced" if you can be more clear, I could make it a better scenario by updating.

Er...OK, can I just refer back to post #9? (Several possible improvements have already been mentioned - and referred to in my previous post - and I don't want to repeat myself except in saying that I do think it's a pretty good scenario!;) )

An update version is up, with minor changes and fixes:
Added a spanish army in Belgium.
Changed some city names.
Moved Batavia.
Sweden should be more colonizing.
Some more changes that I can't remember right now...

Hello, I've played the scenario a number of times with the Dutch and English civs and found that the Ottomans are racing through the technology tree while most european civs (especially me) are lagging behind because of maintenance costs for colonies. This becomes even more problematic when the ottomans are always the first to discover rifling.

I tried making the game a little more playable by denying the ottomans their 'banking' starting tech. This worked like a charm because now their route to rifling is a little longer.

Also, Afrika doesn't seem to hold much resources. Playing as the Dutch or English you would attack the protugese because they are weak overseas. But Afrikan colonies are not interesting. Leaving the entire continent to the ottomans and maroccans.

Maybe a pointer for an next update :goodjob:

Because this scenario is not a big success (I must admit that it's not one of my better scenarios) I'm going to turn it into a 1643 scenario, with more colonies, 30 years war and some other changes.

Cool!:) Can't wait to see your reworking of it!;)

PS: Though I wouldn't call 775 downloads a failure...

Top Bottom