Many Leaders Game 5 - One City Challenge

Shaka---> Turn 4 to 1400AD

Spoiler :
Still havent gotten in any major wars with the big 3.

840AD--->Gunpowder
960AD--->first to Philosophy
980AD--->GE...settled
1010--->Music...Great Artist...settled
1020--->Literature...thought i would take a crack at the great library since it wasnt built yet. It gets built on the next turn.
1050--->Machinery
1100--->Printing Press
1110--->Feud and sailing.....traded
1130--->HBR....traded
1140--->Engineering
1160--->GE...settled
1170--->calender and mono...traded.....monty still hasnt spread buddhism to me. I was hoping he would.
1190--->Chemistry
1220--->Ragnar makes peace with Asoka....I make peace
1260--->GS...settled
1280--->Scientific method
1290--->Liberalism--->Biology as the free tech

Ive had some decent forest growth and workers are preserving the forest. I had built a couple of extra workers just prior to Scietific Method to help out the preservation.

1300--->Monty declares on Gilly...sweet. He may ask me to join in soon and Im not ready yet, but may join anyway.
1350--->Natl Park completes...no more health concerns...grow baby grow
1370--->traded for currency
1390--->Steel and traded for compass. For some stupid reason, I thought i could build cannons. No iron...no cannons. Next round, Ill try to trade for some iron. I will try to build up a force to go after Gilly, but with trebs as the only seige i have, Ill lose alot of units. Maybe a defensive war would be better till I can field better units.

There are still 3 tiles that forest can grow. Not sure how long Ill wait for that to happen though before i put something else on those tiles.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/97311/Shaka_AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave

50 looks ok to me - though it will be a long 50 :)trouble: :devil:)

God, i got 2 reports, and 3 sg's to play in today...

Turnset #3

Spoiler :

Turn 1: I find out i'm the 4th most advanced in the world.
Turn 2: Gilga's golden age ended.
Turn 8: Built my first Chariot.
Turn 13: Spread Confusingism in Nidoras. Confucist vikings vs budhist indians. I'll soon get gigla and monte to follow.Revolt to Organized Religion...
Turn 21: Start Hanging Gardens
Turn 24: spread confucism in tenochitlan. Plans going well :)
Turn 25: Spread Confucism to Kish. In the next few turns i'll convert myself.
Turn 33: Mani born in Cuzco, make the Kong Maio. +8 at 100 % research :)
Turn 35: Hanging Gardens in. Start Colloseum. I might need a little happyness. Convert to Confusicsm, Christanity founded in vijayayanagara.
Turn 43: Montezuma declares war on me. Yay...
Turn 44: I see he impressive stack of 1 shock archer!

Turn 52: Mostly losing troops. I forgot to stop at turn 150...
Conclusion: I'm gonna die...
Techs: Fishing, mediation through trade, hunting, archery, Iron working, Monarchy, Alphabet, Aesthetics, Construction, Literature, Researching Horseback Riding.
For Next Round: try to survive?
Save:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/108694/Huayna_Capac_AD-0840.CivBeyondSwordSave

Turnset #4, The survival of the Inca's (hopefully)

Spoiler :

Turn 4: Ragnar Declares on Asoka. Revolt to Heridatory Rule.
Turn 7: Gilga Declares on Asoka...
Turn 10: Giga asks me for war with asoka. I say yes. It'll be a phony one anyway. I see war Elephants... :(
Turn 12: Monty is attacking me with Spys now. He destroys a hamlet.
Turn 14: THANK GOD THANK GOD, THANKS GOD, I LOVE YOU VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn 18: Another nice random event:

Stupidly, i forget i could never work that tile...

And Monte's stack has just arrived:

Turn 19: Feudilism is in, and with all that money i got from my shrines, i now can upgrade all my archers to Longbowmen.
Turn 20: Vijayvayanagara captured by sumeria. I'm dead next turn...
Turn 21: After he lost his entire stack to my longbowmen,

Turn 22: Start Great Library in Cuzco. (my people will celebrate this loss!) Incan revolt in an aggresively settled aztec city.
Turn 23:Narak Great Prophet born in Cuzco. Temple of Soloman. no other good choice
Turn 37: Agra Caputured by Sumerians.
Turn 44: Ragnar cancels the copper deal.
Turn 45: Great Library in, Start Statue of Zues. Why? Shouldn't i be building troops? well, Gilgamesh is Friendly to me, and is at war with asoka, Ragnar is busy with asoka and now Montezuma.... It appears Montezuma wanted to use his stacks for something, and that something was me and now is Ragnar...
Turn 48: Some extra friendlyness could never hurt. I think i'll conquer Gilga last. he's been an angel to me so far.

Conclusion: I"M ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Techs: a couple. Horseback Riding, Feudilism, Civil Service, and researching Music.
For Next Round: Try to catch up with everyone else in terms of winning...
Save:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/108694/Huayna_Capac_AD-1290.CivBeyondSwordSave

@TLO
Spoiler :
Now that is being saved by the bell ( that and the AI being too stupid to cross the river and then attack... ). Feudalism came right in time....

P.s IMHO you're investing too much on relationships... you're going to kill them all, remember? ;)

Continuing with the catch up, round 3 (Turns 101~150).

Spoiler :

Episode3: The Elegance of England

Elegance. It is all about wonders.

Well, there shouldn't be any doubt I would get the Great Library. Afterall, I am the only one who knows Aesthetics ... hmm ... at this point. I later traded it away, first for Alphabet, and later for Sailing, Monothesim, and Mediation.

Anyway, back to the library.

This is also in preparation for the Great Engineer to give me this:

After the Gardens, I am surprised the Oracle is still available. And since I am close to Feudalism, I might try for the CS-slingshot.

I did however delayed the oracle a bit since I needed some longbows when gilgamesh was close to my doorsteps. The war bell might chime any moment ...

... and it did.

Fortunately, it is poor Asoka. Surprising, since there are both Hindus. Speaking of which, I got one courtesy of Monty as shown in previous screenie.

Nah, I don't really need the happiness. I would rather keep the two close neighbors un-annoyed.

An overflow of the theatre whip later:

I was pleasantly surprised to be able to nab this one. I was actually going for the gold (but when it was 4 turns away, my hopes held high, and decided to go Metal Casting instead of Civil Service for my research ... glad that the gambit proves rewarding).

And to complete the elegance, Globe Theatre was erected as well.

Just nice to rid of the whipping unhappiness. But now that both my eastern and western neighbors had officially ran out of space, it is time to stop the pretense of elegance ...

... ah... but, but, but ... just one more wonder, shall we?

Right, you see only the words "Epic", but obviously it can only be the National Epic. One thing I hate abt Oracle is the inevitable Prophet. Well ... price to pay for the (11-turns) early bureaucracy.

Next Up ...

Next plan will be to nab Education, get Universities up, and then head towards Rifling for Redcoats. Meanwhile, I should perhaps build some more longbows and cats ... don't want to tempt my neighbors too much.

I am also thinking of bribing my two close neighbors to war with Asoka. I hope that would deter them a bit and give me some buffer time to get to Rifle first.

Attachments

• Fox-Elizabeth AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    127.6 KB · Views: 179
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this about an OCC domination at how do you keep your enemies from coming in and pillaging you back to the Stone Age. I have been reading a lot of games here and have learned a lot and I still have a lot to learn as I enjoy OCC better than the others

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this about an OCC domination at how do you keep your enemies from coming in and pillaging you back to the Stone Age.
1st way - Pillage them to the stone age :devil:

2nd way - Play defense: some forts in borders with some CG II troops and ( maybe) a medic , combined with a mobile reaction force

Tales of the turtle

Spoiler :
The war with Gilgamesh continued with my first GG in 960AD, Gil resisted any overtures of peace until 1010AD when i managed with the help of feudalism to coerce him into peace.

my phony war with Asoka came to an end in 1030AD when he capitulated to Ragnar

1050AD saw music discovered and with the help of the artist and a culture bomb i started to put some pressure on to the sumerian city on the iron.

1140AD and Gil did the dirty and declared again, i was pretty confident my fortified longbows in Kyoto would keep me safe. Gil had overstretched himself in the eyes of the other AI's and in 1170AD Ragmar/Asoka declared on him, followed by Monty in 1190AD

what i thought was a good thing will eventually come back to bite me in retrospect as Monty began to make in-roads into Gils territory, if Monty can take enough of Gils cities so he capitulates i can see me having to fight the entire buddhist coalition at once.

i made peace with Gil in 1300AD, followed by Ragnar/Asoka making peace with him in 1340AD, Monty smells blood though and is pounding away. it may be too late but i am seriously considering closing my boarders to Monty to keep his troop level down to the east.

Finally the only bit of good news

and my city state

i am pretty confident that i'll be first to rifles and cavalry but i don't know if Monty and Ragnar will be too strong to take down.

:(

Never give up, Never Surrender

Attachments

• Tokugawa AD-1400 MLG 5.CivBeyondSwordSave
    150.5 KB · Views: 221
Ramesses II
Turns 151 - 200

Spoiler :
The start of this round sees the Egyptian city-state on the verge of war! Gilgamesh has enough on his hands right now, as his troops are amassing on the border. It seems that war is inevitable. This situation has arisen because of my last minute decision to revolt to Confucianism and build the Apostolic Palace. With Montezuma converting the world to Buddhism, the Apostolic Palace loomed as a major threat. Not only for the possibility of a diplomatic AI victory, but also for the possibility down the road of a religious war against me.

During my 5 turns of Confucianism, Gilgamesh made the decision to declare. I start the round 1 turn shy of completing Gunpowder. His Swordsmen and Horse Archers won't stand much of a chance against a city defended by Musketmen. But since I have no idea how many turns of peace remain, I have decided to take the unusual step of not building any Musketmen ... at least not right away. Quantity will beat quality in this game. Instead, I opt to MM my city to turn out 1 turn War Chariots.

The Egyptian War Chariot, at strength 5, should provide a fairly strong defense against the Sumerian forces. I also decide to revolt to Theocracy, such that my new units will be trained with 2 promotions.

The side effect of all of this is that my research is going to suffer. By configuring the city for max hammers, I am forced to dismiss all of my scientists. With few cottages to work, my research towards Grenadiers will surely suffer.

I would love to pick up Construction from Gilgamesh before he attacks. Unfortunately, I would have to give him either Theology or Civil Service to do that. Both are techs that would aid an enemy about to attack, so I decide against it.

With that, I press enter to begin this 4th round! I get a major boost to my power rating, now that Gunpowder is complete. Musketmen are 3 turns to build, as expected, so I remain on War Chariot production. My lone Worker :eek: begins a forest chop that will be directed into my first musket. I also begin research on Drama, to allow the use of the :whipped:.

The big news, though, is the end of peace. :sad: Gilgamesh isn't going to sit by whilst I build troops.

I decided to enlist the support of Montezuma in my defense. He is top dog on the power graph, so that should keep Gilgamesh busy. Assuming I survive the first wave, that is.

I may end up regretting this decision after the war, though. Sumeria is the only civ that I am connected to for resource trading. I was hoping to trade him for his spare iron down the road. But by bringing Monty into the war, I pick up -2 diplo points. I'm hoping he will still be willing to trade resources after the war.

After training 3 War Chariots and chopping down a forest, I switch the city to a Musketman for 2 turns. The Sumerian stack, consisting of 2 Horse Archers, 3 Catapults, and 3 Chariots, is 3 turns away from the city. Unfortunately, there is no sign of any Aztec troops. :undecide:

The training of the first Musketman is greeted by the birth of a Great Prophet. The Prophet is merged into the city, whilst the musket is promoted to City Garrison II. And, oh joy ... more bad luck. A barb Archer shows up. With only 1 Worker, pillaging is my worst nightmare. Unfortunately, losing a WC to that barb may prove the worse nightmare, as Gilgamesh bombards my defenses.

I slowly begin picking off the Sumerian troops one by one. A Great General is born and merged into the city as a Military Instructor. Eventually, Gilgamesh is willing to discuss terms. But as he has not yet lost enough troops, the war would continue. But then that #@%&! Monty goes and makes peace with Gilgamesh! And now he says he has enough on his hands. Oh great! :rolleyes:

And then this ...

I've had a couple good events, mostly bad events. Now I'm getting useless events. :undecide: Divine Right? Please!

With it beginning to look like it will soon be a two front war, I decide to begin construction of a Theatre. Hopefully I will get the chance to also build the Globe so that I can begin whipping some Musketmen ... Unfortunately, the Globe would have to be delayed in favor of Catapults. Gilgamesh was sending in a new SoD of War Elephants and Horse Archers.

And quite an effective SoD, it was. I lost all of my Musketmen in his assault on my city. :sad: All of my units were damaged from the collateral damage of his Catapults. But then it was my turn to suicide some Catapults. I used my left over Archers to wipe the remnants of his stack.

But it seems that I am faring better than Asoka ... He was eliminated in 1260AD.

I take this as my queue to end the hostilities with Gilgamesh. Drama is a small price to pay in order to concentrate my efforts on my own war preparations.

And then the round would finally come to a close ... just the way the whole game has been going ... with another bad random event ... :shake:

I research Liberalism to within a single turn. My original plan of taking Steel seems a bit pointless at the moment. Mainly because I still need another 40K of culture to bring the iron within my borders. Since my AI opponents are so backwards, I seem to have time on my hands to choose another path. Maybe Rifling, which seems to be a common choice. Or maybe Biology for the extra food. :dunno:

I have completed research into Military Science and have started turning out Grenadiers. I had meant to build a couple of Warriors for upgrading to CR Grenadiers. Unfortunately, what with the Sumerian war, I forgot to do that. :blush:

This set of turns was certainly not my finest hour. I let the war drag on too long and become too much of a distraction from my overall objectives. In hindsight, bringing Monty into the war was a mistake. From what I could tell, he did not commit any troops to the battle and made peace way too quickly. And Gilgamesh would probably be pleased with me, if not for that action.

I'll be declaring on Monty quite soon, assuming he doesn't beat me to it, and my biggest fear remains the religious situation in this game.

The negative diplo points from Ragnar and Gilgamesh might make the Aztec war a little bit more interesting that I would have hoped ...

Attachments

• Ramesses II AD-1400.CivBeyondSwordSave
    135.2 KB · Views: 223
I vote we play 0 turns from now on. I'm struggling to find time for this which is a pain as I'm still keen to play. I want to put a bit of effort into reporting but it's a little too time consuming at the moment.

Oz, would it be possible to postpone my reports until perhaps the new year. Or another option would be to let a lurker either pick up my save or start afresh which may be the better option.

Top Bottom