Conquest of the World

Dang, two armies! Oh well, at least Leonidas went down like he probably wanted to.

1978 AD -

The Internet is completed. The immediate construction of dozens of research labs causes our science spending to increase by 423 gold per turn (15%) since 1977. While that doesn't allow us to complete Robotics any quicker, it does allow us to decrease funding to 60%, resulting in a nice 600 gold per turn surplus for the rest of the decade.

We have also surpassed 250,000 square miles of land area, one-third of the land area on the map.

Our first target this turn is Barcelona. Artillery bombardment reveals five units - far more than we can conquer this turn. But it also destroys the Bank and Library and reduces the population by two-thirds. And the first attack gives us a great reward.

To extricate my leader and give me the opportunity for more leaders, I make peace with Isabella, receiving a World Map and 39 gold and a Right of Passage agreement. We won't get Magellan's Voyage as a result, but we can survive without it for awhile. The leader reaches my newly built city of Megara, on the ruins of Santiago, and builds an Army.

P'yongyang is the next target - and this one we plan to take regardless. Our shelling is highly successful, and an Elite leads the attack.

After three tanks, each side has lost one unit. Metropolises are not easy to take even when well-bombarded. Our next tank dies and the one after that retreats. So we call in Agamemnon. He kills an Infantry, and my last Elite Tank with multiple hitpoints kills another. The Mech Inf that was helping guard my Artillery then kills a Guerilla - and the Koreans have a conscript Riflemen :mad:! Both Dienekes and Ulysess are sent in, far more firepower than necessary, but they are the only units than can reach Pyongyang. Yet even after they attack, Korea has a redlined Infantry :mad:. We put the attack on hold until after Caesarea is taken.

Achilles struggles at Caesarea, but kills three Infantry. Unfortunately, the Byzantines still have extra units as well. This turn is quickly becoming the turn-that-might-have-been-with-a-few-more-movement-points. But we still have our new leader, whom we now name Lysander and assign four Tanks. He quickly charges and takes Caesarea, and with it, Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Our treasury receives an immediate and large boost of 64 gold per turn, and we sell all our original barracks for a nice one-time windfall of 640 gold. That's just enough to upgrade the 30 Infantry we have in cities to Mechanized Infantry - so we do so. Eleven regular Infantry remain, along with 28 Hoplites and three Musketmen.

But the fact remains that despite the awesomeness that was capturing Caesarea, we still have to capture P'yongyang. I'm about to go leader fishing when I notice the 3/5 Tank I attacked P'yongyang with a few paragraphs ago, the last one with multiple hitpoints, still has another movement point! It had been damaged by Korean bombers, and when I saw after the armies attacked P'yongyang it I had thought the damage was from already attacking twice! I send it back into the fray, and am rewarded with P'yongyang and The Great Library.

Istanbul is next. We don't even bother bombing; Hittite attacks have already worn it down.

After one tank retreats and another dies, we send in the bombers after all. The Ottoman troops are left with one hitpoint after that, and our Tank takes the city.

The Hanging Gardens is the fourth wonder we've gained control of this turn!!! :woohoo: The Internet, Sun Tzu's, The Great Library, and The Hanging Gardens. The first two are right useful as well.

After killing a bunch of Korean Guerillas near Pusan, we send some Tanks to capture Cheju and give us control of Jutland.

At this point we're out of targets for the turn, but we're more than satisfied. An Army plus four Wonders? I'll take that any turn.

1978 IBT - Korea requests an audience. I'm not surprised; they must be exasperated. Wan Kong mistakenly calls the war "mutually assured destruction" and won't even hand over his entire treasury (567 gold) for peace. The war will continue!

I just hope he doesn't start associating mutually assured destruction with nukes...might be a good thing P'yongyang isn't the capital anymore.

And when I give him one last warning that my troops are approaching his cities, he says, "We clearly maintain the upper hand in this war." I laugh at his delusions and walk away knowing full well how wrong he is. Three largely ineffective Korean bombing runs do not change my mind, and neither does their unloading of Guerillas into their own Sweden rather than my Denmark :confused:.

WOW! 4 UPDATES!!!

"Korea, soon to be pwnd by Greece" :lol:

Revenge for Hiawatha, eh?

Yeah, although the Byzantines and one-city Ottomans will probably be pwned first.

Dang, two armies! Oh well, at least Leonidas went down like he probably wanted to.

He probably wanted to go down fighting the Persians. :)

I just hope he doesn't start associating mutually assured destruction with nukes...might be a good thing P'yongyang isn't the capital anymore.

:lol:

And when I give him one last warning that my troops are approaching his cities, he says, "We clearly maintain the upper hand in this war." I laugh at his delusions and walk away knowing full well how wrong he is. Three largely ineffective Korean bombing runs do not change my mind, and neither does their unloading of Guerillas into their own Sweden rather than my Denmark :confused:.

What is Wang Kon Smoking?

Praha said:
"Korea, soon to be pwnd by Greece"

Revenge for Hiawatha, eh?

Thought it was fitting for what's likely to happen to Korea. It's inevitable by now that they'll fall, the only question is when.

Not really, against a 3-defense Cavalry. Maybe defending against two tanks in a row before falling, or defending a city against hordes of Marines before succembing to modern weapons? I was quite surprised he lost to a lowly Cavalry.

WOW! 4 UPDATES!!!

Merry Christmas! One more coming up in the day to make five in 24 hours. Got quite a bit ahead in the game. Don't expect five every 24 hours though ;).

Yeah, although the Byzantines and one-city Ottomans will probably be pwned first.

Certainly the Ottomans, I don't know about the Byzantines. The ultimate fall of either could come first.

He probably wanted to go down fighting the Persians. :)

Haha, yeah, against thousands of Immortals. Too bad we aren't fighting Persia. :rolleyes:

Must be a hallucinogen.

Got this message when uploading the photos for the next section:

Time for a new album! Guess a 3000 picture album would be rather unhandy to haul around.

1979 AD - You know the opposition is in a sorry state when Sumeria is my closest rival for population.

Right now, the Ottomans have the lowest score of any surviving civilization.

Now the Babylonians have the lowest score. Fifteen civilizations survive.

At this point we can either go south and conquer Japan or turn north and attack the Maya. The Maya took Texcoco from me and have yet to take it back, but they're currently pwning the Americans with a much smaller force, so I'm inclined to let a good thing continue. In fact, he's doing so well that he demands tribute from me for peace!!!

Though he is deluded by his success, we make a preliminary decision to target Japan. The American-Mayan conflict is a good opportunity to kick back and watch the action, and Japan still has the Pyramids to take.

Our next attack is against the Byzantine city of Naissus, in central Siberia. Hector is our attacking force.

The garrison was rather weak - not surprising given its isolation from the rest of the Byzantine Empire. It is our new northernmost city.

We also advance against Korea again, this time against the city of Wonsan, at the actual location of Leningrad.

Four armies does the trick, one for each defender. Our spies report a rather drastic drop in the number of Korean bombers after the fall of the city; looks like we took out some of those, too. Even though they're mostly harmless at this stage, it will be nice to not have to deal with them.

1979 IBT -

A little late for MPP's against me, isn't it? Doesn't make much difference to me now, I'll just have to conquer both instead of cutting one a break if I want to conquer elsewhere for awhile.

The alliance extends. Still irrelevant, but at least they're realizing the necessity of alliances, if too late.

Korea makes a good move and attacks the Flak guarding five of my artillery. Fortunately I win.

Now this one doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Korea needs an alliance with Persia, not a war with them. Then I remember Korea's MPP with the Byzantines. The Byzantines are at war with Persia. Oops. So much for the alliance helping the Koreans! It helps us instead!

Persia seems more concerned with conquering the Babylonians, however. They send about six Marines into the western Sahara to take the Babylonian city of Samarra.

Haha. Gotta love when your enemies unite behind an MPP and it entirely backfires. Rather than giving them a nice advantage, it resulted in me getting all my allies in on all my wars for no cost at all and them facing even more forces than they would have otherwise. How ironic.

Japan, meanwhile, signs an alliance against the Hittites, putting them at war with all of South America. Hope they got an awful lot of gold for that war.

1980 AD -

Yay for robots! Radar artillery will be the field in no time, as we switch our research to four-turn Rocketry at a 600 GPT surplus. Manufacturing plants are well within our budget as well, and before long we'll have record-breaking production.

:(. Another army gone, and Sun Tzu's with it. Achilles is determined to be the lost army - our only one of all Elites. We're now down to zero barracks on all of Asia, Africa, and Europe. We need this city back pronto.

And thus an Elite Tank attacks the city right away.

Not a difficult battle, but the loss of Achilles still hurts, and we got one Regular Tank instead of a Veteran after the loss of the city last turn. You know what this means?

We bomb Constantinople and our four remaining Tank armies all attack it. It falls relatively easy, and the Byzantine capital relocates to the west coast of the Caspian. The foe that once looked formidable is down to 16 land troops, a Frigate, a Galleon, and a Dromon.

The Korean city of Hyangsan is our next conquest. It is our first city on the Arctic Ocean. Korea is now reduced to a few fairly nonproductive tundra cities, a couple cities on the British Isles, and the cities they captured from the Iroquois.

1980 IBT - Persia captures and destroys the small Babylonian town of Samarra in the western Sahara. Akkad is the next town in the line, and as a metropolis it has a chance at defending itself even if the Babylonians are still using Musketmen. But Persia's using Marines, so Babylon will need at least some help from the RNG.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! THE HOPLITES HAVE FALLEN!

:sad: :( :sad:

Probably using too much of that incense ;)

Wow, FOUR UPDATES!? I go to sleep, I wake up, and you've dropped all this on us! :woohoo:

That hoplite army managed to survive in a age filled with guns and tanks for 23 years.

Speaking of score, we haven't seen a histograph in a while...

Wow, you control 5 times as much land and 10 times as much population as your nearest rivals. :king:

I'm confused- who are you at war with right now?

The only reason the Sumerians are 2nd in population is because nobody has ever really fought them, Greenland isn't exactly the most appealing conquest. After you finish Korea and the Byzantines you need to destroy the PERSIANS because I'm sure they had something to do with Leonidas's death. Probably giving the Byzantines horse steroids.

This has to be the highest updates/day ratio I've ever seen in any story. Very nice, especially since they're all good updates. Sorry for the loss of your armies though.

Yay for capturing Cheju!

It is probably the city closest to my actual location ;)

Edit: I live in Denmark, not South Korea...

Updates! Yippee-kai-pippee-oh-bee-bee-oh-lay!

Too bad those armies are out of action. At least you have the MA so you can build more. Or do you, since I think you might have said somewhere that you wouldn't build it. Nice blitzing anyway, those Byzantines and Koreans must be regretting going to war with you now.

We bomb Constantinople and our four remaining Tank armies all attack it. It falls relatively easy, and the Byzantine capital relocates to the west coast of the Caspian. The foe that once looked formidable is down to 16 land troops, a Frigate, a Galleon, and a Dromon.

Careful- Dromons can bombard.

The Empire of the Greeks Vs The Greek Empire!:p

Just occured to me, :lol:

Is there some joke I don't understand.:shifty::hmm:

Quintillus is playing the Greeks, and has an Empire. The Byzantine Empire, in the Middle Ages, was referred to as a "Greek" Empire, which is also where "Greek Orthodoxy" came from.

Quintillus is playing the Greeks, and has an Empire. The Byzantine Empire, in the Middle Ages, was referred to as a "Greek" Empire, which is also where "Greek Orthodoxy" came from.

Yep, the Byzantine Empire of the middle ages had a high % of greeks populating it, in the balkans and asia minor too.

So its pretty much just greeks bashing each other.:goodjob:

Top Bottom