Conquest of the World

Speaking of score, we haven't seen a histograph in a while...

Wow, you control 5 times as much land and 10 times as much population as your nearest rivals. :king:

I'm confused- who are you at war with right now?

We're at the stage where our power bar is zooming across the bottom of the screen, about halfway across now. The other bars are accelerating as well.

War is with Maya, Japan, England, Aztecs, Byzantines, Koreans, and Sumeria.

Peace is with America, Spain, Babylon, Mongols, Persians, Hittites, and Inca.

Yay for capturing Cheju!

It is probably the city closest to my actual location ;)

Edit: I live in Denmark, not South Korea...

:lol: Got the Denmark part, had Jylland and Sjælland switched before double-checking though. Only the mainland is on the Civ map, so it's safe to say, welcome to the Greek Empire!

Another update coming up to bring us up to speed with the current in-game status. Meanwhile I've been playing Galactic Civlizations and it's like when I first got CivIII - great strategy game with infinite possibilities and much to discover. The custom units is really neat, too. Had to make a spreadsheet of them I created so many different designs.

1981 AD -

Well, this can mean only one thing - we have to conquer the Persians!

We'll have to do it right away, too, as we've been going through Persian territory to attack Korea. Our generals draw up a battle plan.

Taking Bactra is of the utmost importance - once it is taken reinforcements can reach our Korean lands again. We have enough tanks north of Bactra that it should fall easily. The remaining tanks will attack Gordium, allowing our south European holdings to be reinforced. If need be, we can use either tanks coming from our African and Asian holdings or armies from southern Europe to finish the attack on Gordium. Then our armies will take Pasargadae, reducing Persia to a shell of its former self in a single turn.

Artillery are brought in from Hyangsan to shell Bactra, and have decent success. Two tanks then easily take the city, making the most important part of this year's advances against Persia successful.

More artillery are then brought in from throughout the Empire to shell Gordium. Despite their shelling, the battle isn't easy.

But a small victory for Persia isn't enough to stop our tanks.

At this point there's little doubt Persia is severely weakened. We haven't had to use any of our armies yet, which means they're all available for taking Pasargadae. Agamemnon is sent in first, and kills one Infantry in Pasargadae.

It takes all four Tank armies in the end, each killing one Infantry, but Pasargadae falls as well. The once mighty Persian Empire is no longer so.

A good part of Persia isn't our only conquest this turn, either - it's time to start pwn'ing the Korean cities in Scandinavia.

Yay! Another leader is just what Korea doesn't want to see! Salamanca falls.

Our next advance is against the now-English city of Zaragoza, near Mongolia and where we left the troops that triggered Persia's declaration of war. Two Tanks are ready to take the city.

Uh-oh. You know what tends to happen when Tanks fight Spearmen. We cross our fingers, take the stronger Tank, and attack.

Whew! The advances against England are likely to be slow, thanks to vast expanses of Siberian forests, but at least they started out on the right foot.

An attack against the Korean outpost of Manp'o doesn't go so great, and a Tank is lost. Highlighting the difficulty of Siberian conquest is the fact that it will be several turns before we can get troops there again.

But we do manage to sink the primary guard in a Korean convoy that captured the Alaskan island city of Vilcabamba.

And with our lead even more solidified, we end the turn.

1981 IBT - A cruiser of ours sinks a Persian Destroyer outside Persepolis. A good omen certainly, if they can't win at sea by Persepolis, we're hopeful they won't be able to win on land, either.

North of Zaragoza, Spain makes a failed attack on the English city of Warwick. If all goes well, they'll have weakened it enough for me to take it next turn - our troops are too far out yet to know if they did for sure.

Well, it was nice knowing ya, Persia.

Well, you do still have 11 cities left to take (One of which is a one-tile island- they still control iceland, right?), but that should be done quickly. You'll have control of all of Europe soon.

Well, it was nice knowing ya, Persia.

Well, you do still have 11 cities left to take (One of which is a one-tile island- they still control iceland, right?), but that should be done quickly. You'll have control of all of Europe soon.

Twelve actually - they just captured a Byzantine city in Siberia that I hadn't noticed until just now. Iceland is among them - I've already send a Transport in that direction, but if it doesn't get there in time I may just spend some gold and buy one.

Poor Persia, doomed to a premature death.

Feeling pity for my enemies...what has the world come to? :rolleyes: They're probably lucky to still be around given their declaration of war in 1635 AD, really. At that point they were my worst enemy, somehow they later became my most important trading partner and a decently friendly civilization.

Bli.....Bli....Bli...Bli..BLITZ!

Nice job of knocking Persia back to where it belongs. Too bad it wasn't the hoplites doing the conquering:( .

Thanks! :D Leonidas didn't make it quite long enough. Though really, it was good to simply overwhelm them with tanks.

A Demographic Report with all the latest statistics, graphs, and a World Map is coming right up. That'll be it for this year. But as I said earlier, the Greeks will conquer the world if it takes until 2014 real-world time, so the conquest will no doubt continue!

Might actually finish the conquest before 2014 game time - guess we'll have to see. Sorry to any Atlantic Standard time readers, just missed midnight for you on the Demographic Report.

The Greek government decided to post a complete Demographic Report at the beginning of 1982, after increasing inquiries into the status of the empire from its citizens. The Demographics screen comes first:

Many categories have set records, but the population especially has greatly increased. With 59,866,000 citizens, the Greek Empire comprises 57% of the world population of 105,028,070. The Empire's primary statistician took a minute to look up previous statistics and found that just nine years ago, at the beginning of 1973, the population stood at 47,210,000. That's 12,656,000 more citizens in nine years - 27% growth :eek:! The world population has actually declined by 2.2% in that time, making it likely that a good portion of the Greek population growth came from conquest.

In the same nine years, production has increased 33% from 3000 to 4000 megatons, and commerce has increased 25% from 2000 to 2500 gold. Land area has increased 25% from 227,000 square miles to 283,000 square miles. Both the old, growing parts of the Greek Empire and the newly conquered parts are greatly helping it ascend to world domination.

Quality of life has also improved. Literacy, at a meager 67% in 1973, is 85% today. Medical advances, though more moderate than educational ones, have nonetheless increased the average lifespan a respectable 3 years to 66 years since 1973. Disease has also been reduced, from 3% to 2%.

On a slightly less rosy note, pollution has increased from 48 tons to 54 tons. A recent effort at significantly increasing the number of Australian workers apparently hasn't turned the situation around yet :sad:. However, the government is pleased to announce compared to land area, the amount of pollution is actually lower than in 1973.

In terms of real-world comparisons, the population of Greece is approximately equal to that of present-day Italy, which is 23rd on the world scale.

As can be seen, Greek power is quickly becoming a juggernaut. The score of 2018 indicates an increase of approximately 21 points every turn.

The Culture meter shows a similar, if less drastic, story. Spain and Korea appear to be the main contenders for cultural dominance. Greece's total culture is at 72,047; a rough estimate of the total worldwide culture places it at slightly over 600,000. The culture of the defeated civilizations would likely push that to around 800,000.

The formerly French city of Orleans, in South Austrlia, holds the current production trophy at 70 shields per turn. It is at this time the only city in the Empire powered by nuclear power, most having hydroelectric power and the remainder coal power.

Athens contributes the most money to the treasury, at 50 gold per turn with 60% science, thanks in no small part to tourist income from The Colossus. Groningen, a Dutch city in Malaysia, ekes out Athens for the science trophy at 77 beakers per turn.

Athens also is the single-city cultural leader, at 5523 culture. Lyons is second at 2835.

Ephesus, on the east coast of India, is the most populous city in the Empire, with a size rating of 24 and a population of 3,032,000. Gergovia, on the east coast of the Mediterranean, is nearly half a million citizens behind, but is quickly catching up.

Maintenence costs for the Empire ring in at a tidy 1047 gold per turn. No one ever said maintaining a powerful empire was cheap!

The military contains 286 units, with up to 498 supported for free. The five largest sections are as follows:

78 - Tanks
65 - Mechanized Infantry
29 - Hoplites
13 - Artillery (noncaptured)
12 - Bombers

Take a guess which one is mostly in city-defender roles :D!

Thirty-eight percent of the land area has been captured. America is now our closest rival in both land and population, at seven and six percent, respectively.

And finally, the National Cartographer has arrived just in time to attach a copy of the latest official map.

Who holds the bottom 15 places? I am curious just how many dead civs Babylon, Japan, and the Inca are buried under. :lol:

There are some missing white dots in that world map, Quint. Can you tell us why? I'd like to know why this has happened so many times (Okay, it's only been 3 or 4 times, but I'm still curious). ;)

Hey, was that English city on the Korean Pennisula, Birka, ever captured?

EDIT: BTW, I think whatever method the computer uses to determine land area is messed up- according to my calculator, your total land area in sq. kilometers is around 735700, which, accorinding to Wikipedia, is smaller than the Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth! I Imagine your actual land area in real-world land is about 100 times that.

There are some missing white dots in that world map, Quint. Can you tell us why? I'd like to know why this has happened so many times (Okay, it's only been 3 or 4 times, but I'm still curious). ;)

I have noted this problem with the minimap often. It will just fail to show many of the cities as little white squares. It won't go away by reloading, you have to restart the game. But reloading can cause it to happen in a previously-unproblemed game.

I don't think that's it, since it's non-continous and only appears in some of the World map screenies, and it's not even always the same cities.

Who holds the bottom 15 places? I am curious just how many dead civs Babylon, Japan, and the Inca are buried under. :lol:

After Carthage is, in order, Inca, Japan, Egypt, Russia, and Babylon. So Babylon's guaranteed at least 21st in score.

Some of the dots (on rare occassions, all) not showing up happens sometimes when you take screenshots from CivIII. I'm too lazy to check to make sure all 350 cities (or so) has a dot, so unless a pretty high portion are missing there may be some that slip through without a dot. I think I recall it happening in-game at times as well.

Hey, was that English city on the Korean Pennisula, Birka, ever captured?

Nope, it's still English. Put off capturing it a couple decades ago and haven't got back around to it yet. Mainly because all the railroads and roads in the area got pillaged in the time of the Byzantine-Viking war.

EDIT: BTW, I think whatever method the computer uses to determine land area is messed up- according to my calculator, your total land area in sq. kilometers is around 735700, which, accorinding to Wikipedia, is smaller than the Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth! I Imagine your actual land area in real-world land is about 100 times that.

Yeah, I noticed that a long time ago, probably a few years back playing this map. I got about 750,000 square miles as the total area, which puts the world on par with real-life Mexico. I think I calculated that you'd need a 1572x1572 map for a realistic representation of Earth in terms of CivIII square miles, but that was a rough calculation not accounting for the unique grid structure of Civ. I decided to wait for final judgement on how big a realistic map should be until I have a better estimate of the world's population limit on this map. It's quite likely that the problem isn't just in there not being enough tiles, but in that 100 square miles for a tile isn't large enough. Knowing how many people this map supports will allow a good estimate on how many square miles each tile should have - provided we have a good estimate of how many people Earth actually supports. Obviously that cannot be given with certainty, but 10 billion seems a decent estimate.

It might take awhile longer than the game to get a good estimate, though. Wars have really taken a toll on the population - I believe we hit 124 million at one point, 18% higher than today - and I know the Earth can support more than that. I had 90 million as the Zulu on the Standard Earth map with only about a quarter of the Earth!

Obviously, the tiles aren't big enough- 100 sq. miles means 10 miles is the length and width of one tile. 100 miles should be the length and width of one tile, and 10,000 the total area, and then you'd get a more accurate amount.

You do know that the biggest map the editor will let you make is 362 x 362, right? And that's one helluva big one that will result in single turns requiring 8 hours to play at some points (Not that I know personally, I'm just referencing what happened in the SG AG3- Ultra Big Map).

And was 750,000 sq. miles for land area or total area? ;)

Obviously, the tiles aren't big enough- 100 sq. miles means 10 miles is the length and width of one tile. 100 miles should be the length and width of one tile, and 10,000 the total area, and then you'd get a more accurate amount.

You do know that the biggest map the editor will let you make is 362 x 362, right? And that's one helluva big one that will result in single turns requiring 8 hours to play at some points (Not that I know personally, I'm just referencing what happened in the SG AG3- Ultra Big Map).

And was 750,000 sq. miles for land area or total area? ;)

Now that you mention it I do recall a maximum world map size. I'm not sure 100 miles per side is a good measure, either - something in between might be best. I'll have a better estimate at the end of this game (or slightly thereafter if the population hasn't recovered by then).

750,000 square miles was for total land area on this map. For total area altogether, it would be 1,620,000 squared miles, this being a 180x180 map (actually 90x90x2). That makes it 46% land, another descrepancy from Earth - but land is more fun than water in Civ, so I'll let that one slip by for now.

Yay! Updates and Happy New Year! [party]

Hurry up and finish Asia, will ya? I want to see some New World action!

The New World is slowly heating up, but only as much as Australia can produce. Asia will take a little while because of the Siberian forests, but I probably should start moving all my extra galleys into position to ferry troops across the Pacific when I finish there. And possibly upgrading one or two to Transports.

Or maybe just hurry a bunch of Airports. I can afford it now, and with all my pollution problems I really don't want to sacrifice any workers!

1982 AD - Last turn I didn't even realize that I had troops more than ready to advance on Frankfurt. Three Infantry and two Marines begin advancing on the city immediately. Intombe, to the south, was captured from the Hittites by Mongolia.

A Submarine happens upon a Destroyer northwest of Iberia. A Cruiser is called in to bombard to even the odds.

Despite a successful bombardment, the sub does horribly. Now the Destroyer will probably sink the Cruiser as well. That didn't go how we hoped :(.

Far more successful is our annual bombing campaign in Persia. We destroy the last of the Persian wine supplies, and disconnect France from Spain.

Across the world, our Transport and Battleships have reached Hawaii, where we land a powerful invasion force. Both Aztec outposts are expected to fall next year.

But the real offensive this turn is in yet another part of the world - southern South America. Our Aircraft Carrier has reached Edo at the same time as the ground troops - a convenient situation. The bombing begins against the well-entrenched Japanese troops.

As can be seen, Japan is paying for declaring war on the whole continent.

Our bombers reduce the defense by only two hitpoints, but the city's defense was a lost cause even before that.

Our Infantry Army is sent in as the first wave of troops.

An Elite Tank then finishes off the defenders.

And there the combat ends for this turn. Persia has escaped further losses - for now.

1982 IBT - The Persian Marines come out in full force.

Two Marines attack Pergamon, in the Sahara, where I'd forgotten about them. Fortunately my Mech Inf destroys both.

Another attacks us on the west coast. Again the Mechanized Infantry wins. These guys are good.

Two more target a Tank in the Black Forest. The Tank defeats one, but falls to the second after redlining it. But with four other tanks still within striking distance of Persepolis, the counterattack still has a feeling of too little, too late.

The Mongols signed an alliance against the Brits this turn! Three cheers for all of Siberia going up in a gunfight!

:lol: The Aztecs maintain their record of always landing one Jaguar Warrior. Even though they're now using Transports. You'd think they could at least land three or four Jaguar Warriors.

Spain takes Warwick from the English this turn. I did not have sufficient troops to take it, but Spain did. More power to them. Until I take it from them ;).

Wow! Those demographics, world map, and stuff show certainly how well you're growing. It's amazing how fast your units can get to the front quickly. In my wars, sometimes advances come to a halt because we run out of troops ;)

We are growing very quickly, and the rails do allow maximization of our troops, but we are nearly out of troops. Hence why there were no advances in the Old World this update - most of our troops are recovering from the invasion of Persia and there's not enough new ones to keep the offensive going every turn. It's because of construction projects, though, most working to enhance production even further. Even 2500 shields per turn doesn't get you far when most of your highly productive cities are building Manufacturing Plants.

Perhaps I'm a bit too much of a stickler for excellent production!

The Greek government did put a bit of a positive spin on the demographic report, so, while all the statistics are accurate, and we are doing quite well, the viewpoint of the report isn't entirely subjective ;).

1983 AD - An investigation of Persepolis shows it to be quite the successful city.

It nearly equals our most productive city! The 20% science doesn't surprise me, as it seems the AI have almost stopped researching recently. One luxury is what I want - but one fewer and the citizens are rioting. Unfortunately the five defenders are far too many for me to take on this turn - with four tanks able to make one attack each this turn, I simply cannot attack only to weaken them.

I also note that Persia has built both a Courthouse and a Police Station. I haven't built a single one of either, without any corruption to worry about. The Police Station's war weariness benefit is still there, but considering how quickly the AI goes into Fascism anyways, it really isn't worth it. Making these buildings unavailable to the AI would be a good idea for future no-corruption maps.

Our first attack of this turn will thus be on the Byzantine city of Chalcedon. Located approximately in Kazakhstan, it is one of two cities they still control in Central Asia.

The first tank is redlined, the second is killed, and the third kills both Infantry. The city is ours.

As Chalcedon was taken, the military commanders were alerted to some Japanese Cavalry a Galley had dropped off by Corinth on our initial island. A Mechanized Infantry was called in to deal with them so the Hoplites wouldn't have to.

It did its job admirably. Our battles in Japan itself will resume next year.

This year, we seek to take Frankfurt for what we hope will be the final time. An Elite Marine is the first to attack.

Both of our Marines lose. So we send in the Elite Infantry. And they win.

Upon taking the city, we find the populace considers itself Zulu. We also learn that it was founded in 1265 - fairly late for so many captures.

On mainland Africa, we nearly eliminate the danger posed by Persian Marines in the Sahara this turn.

At this point, it's time for more advances. The first is by Hector, against the Persian city of Hamadan.

His Marines do an excellent job. Ulysses is sent to the city of Sardis, south of Hamadan, so reinforcements can reach Hector next year. Our other armies fan out against Persian, Korean, and Byzantine targets.

In the middle of the Pacific, though, there are still battles to be fought.

It seems someone tried to invade Cempoala before, as it has two Elite defenders. Fortunately my two Elite and one Veteran invaders are strong enough to defeat both.

Teayo, to the north, is defender by three Infantry and a Guerilla. We are able to defeat all three Infantry this turn, but the Guerilla is left untouched, our remaining Tanks too weak to risk an attack.

In Venezuela, a threatening Jaguar Warrior is attacked by a Conscript Mechanized Infantry.

The Mech Inf gets redlined! If only it were a regular Warrior, we may have seen a Mech Inf retreat from a Warrior!

1983 IBT - The speedy Hittite horsemen (ok, Cavalry) attack and nearly take the walled Japanese town of Osaka. With their extra movement point, they're going to be a legitimate rival to my tanks in taking Japan.

I get some nice help from the Byzantines against the Persians and the Mongols against the Koreans and English. Persia subsequently declares war on the Mongols, a move that can only help me. Asia is going quite well during recent IBT's.

1984 AD -

I realized two turns ago that I couldn't build any Radar Artillery without Aluminum. So this discovery will be most quickly put to use in that area. Nineteen are upgraded this turn for 1140 gold.

Our first advance of this turn is against Texcoco. The Mayans have controlled it for too long.

One of the two Infantry defending the city falls. Another Tank advances to attack next turn. Evidently this wasn't a one-turn capture deal.

One city that will fall this turn is Persepolis.

Lysander's first advance is met by a determined, but doomed, resistance. The second Infantry falls much easier, and it is then up to our Elites to finish the job.

It takes three to defeat two Infantry, but the job is done. Our troops triumphantly march into the city. In a mere four years Persia lost most of its cities and at last its capital. We are, seemingly, unstoppable.

Arbela, just to the south, replaces Persepolis on the top five cities list, while Sidon, in Asia, became the new Persian capital. Sardis, east of Sidon, will be the next Persian city to be taken.

Ulysses easily defeats three Infantry. We then fill the new Army of Alcibiades (from the leader we received by Salamanca) and send him in to defeat the Persian Marine guarding the city.

Not a hitpoint is lost, and the city is taken. Persia still refuses to surrender, despite our inevitable victory.

Teayo, meanwhile, remains guarded by a single Guerilla. Our two Battleships lead with bombardment - all of which is absorbed by a Destroyer in harbor. Our own Destroyer then bombards, hitting a Transport. I realize that this is why there were so many troops there - a convoy apparently was passing through just at that time. Why the ships didn't flee I'm not sure - they're faster than those I had nearby (excepting the Destroyer, which only just arrived). But so long as we take the city, it's only to my advantage that they did stay.

Unfortunately, the Guerilla repulses all of my Tanks, killing one. The surviving ones go to Cempoala for repairs, while my ships move into position to block any retreat.

Nicaea, on the west edge of the Caspian, is my next target.

Dienekes kills three Byzantine Infantry, but a Conscript Rifleman remains to guard the city. Even though he's down to six hitpoints, we're confident Dienekes can dominate Nicaea's Rifleman defenses next turn.

Agememnon then begins his attack on Niagara Falls, a Korean city with part of the now-small Korean Air Force inside.

Neither the Infantry nor the Guerilla are any match for Agamemnon. It looks like Scandinavia will fall easily.

We also expect Osaka to fall easily, particularly after the Hittite attacks. Our Bombers nonetheless soften it up.

Elite Tank vs. two-hitpoint Rifleman? Yep, this was an easy victory. We decide to bypass Nara and head directly to Kyoto for our next advance.

In the Bering Strait, we take out a couple rogue English Ironclads.

Meanwhile, our Galleys head north from Australia in preparation for troops movements across the Pacific. Eurasia will not last much longer.

1984 IBT - The Hittites advance on and take Nara with their quick Cavalry. Even better that we decided to bypass it.

Meh. Can't be lucky all the time I guess.

:lol: Someone had an MPP!

Maybe multiple someones...not that the Byzantines are going to land a whole lot of troops in America anyways!

Top Bottom