Conquest of the World

1988 -

At long last! Our pollution problem continues to get worse, now reaching astronomical levels. It's a miracle there hasn't been any global warming. We choose Recyling as our next tech for obvious reasons.

...Korea's back on the mainland. Not that they will be for long.

Our first Cruise Missile! Never know when its long-range bombardment and insta-rail transport will come in handy...

Not only our first Cruise Missile, but also our first Tanks from cities with Manufacturing Plants, rolled off the line this year. One of these attacks Wonsan after a single Radar Artillery redlines its defending Flak.

The city is razed, with a Greek one to take its place. We don't like resistors, and we don't have to worry about AI's settling the area now - even if they do we'll just raze it in a turn or two anyways.

After taking Wonsan I look around rather aimlessly looking for the next city to take - and find I can't take any this turn. The English ones are surrounded by humongous forests, and the Heraclea is protected by the Alps. So we decide to create targets.

The poor fool. He was so enthusiastically attacking Korea and England. He didn't realize he was only accelerating how quickly we would have to attack him.

A Mechanized Infantry leads the first attack in the war against Hieraconpolis, one of three Mongol cities in mainland Africa.

The Mech Inf destroys the Infantry, and a Tank is just as successful against a Spearman. If this keeps up, the war will be really easy! So far they're doing even worse than they did against China - which was amazingly bad!

Two Tanks then easily take El-Amarna.

Err-destroy. Add one more Settler to the list, please!

Some Radar Artillery aid against the hilled city of Ulundi, and again our Tanks take it without casualties.

So much for the Mongol cities in mainland Africa! Six units and they're gone! Two Elite Infantry head towards Intombe on Madagascar, while two Bombers relocate to help them upon their arrival. The war now turns to mainland Mongolia.

Dalangzadgad, a small town south of Karakorum, is the first city targeted. It acutally destroys three Tanks :eek:.

But it is taken.

Tabriz, one of the westernmost Mongol cities, comes next. Six slave workers have to be called in to build a railroad first, but it is well worth it to fuel our conquest. What's another turn without some irrigation and with a bit more pollution, anyways?

The city apparently is a reservoir of Mongol artillery, containing an Artillery and a Trebuchet. It also manages to destroy a Tank and redline two others :mad:. Apparently Mongolia did learn something from their other wars.

Kazan, a nice town with rubber nearby, comes next.

We then target Xinjian, a formerly Chinese city that also is near some rubber.

One Tank is lost, but that's not enough to stop Mongolia's bleeding. Only Mechanized Infantry can heal Mongolia's wounds, and they aren't getting those.

At this point Temujin is merely annoyed with us, despite the fact that a third of his empire is gone. Seems more like Gandhi than a guy who tried to conquer all of Asia.

It takes twelve slaves to build the rails necessary for our next attack, against the city of Choybalsan.

Another Tank lost, but another city taken.

I fall seven slaves short of making enough rail progress for another Tank advance, and there are no slaves available to trade for. So we take a short break from torching Temujin to attack Antioch.

And Persia is off of mainland Eurasia!

Now it's time for Mongolia to face the big guns! He's left three Infantry and two Settlers in the middle of the Middle East, not really a very helpful place for them to be.

The four new slaves adds nicely to our labor force. Lysander then pounces on some Mongol Infantry stuck in the middle of the Tundra.

Lysander kills three, Radar Artillery redline the remaining two, and Hector kills them. The Mongols just met Blitzkrieg, and I don't think they liked it. At all. They just lost eight of their eighteen cities and twenty-three of their forty-three Infantry in one turn. That's what you call painful losses.

By comparison, we lost six Tanks. Twenty-eight Mechanized Infantry were drafted to fuel the blitz (surely at some point you started wondering just how many Tanks I got from those Manufacturing Plants, didn't you?), but the effect was worth it. If Temujin had enough of an army left to stage a coup, I'm sure they'd be staging one right now for his blind allegiance to his alliance with Greece.

That gets you a ten on the pwngage.

Yay! Now I have to try to think up a way to get an eleven...

See, I liked the ones in Europe- either in france or where the Byzantines always start. They have good food as well as some good terrain for sheilds. Africa is not bad, either, especially the start near the bottom of Africa, but not quite the lowest. The Nile is great for massive cities early on, and I can get 6 or 7 size 12 cities from it pretty easily.

However, the AI never seems to fight in my games. Maybe I just need to get up to the IA when production really takes off.

EDIT: Post 1000! :band: :rotfl: [party] [party] :beer: :beer: [party]

Damn good story! :salute:

Thanks!

The "more aggressive AI" option probably would've helped create slightly more dangerous enemies here, but sometimes they do OK at that even with the normal AI, and they did take out Arabia and Egypt for me.

I'm a bit too tired to discuss starting positions, but I'll put in a good word for the Indian one. Couple luxuries nearby, good resources, good land. They almost conquered Rome before I interfered with their nice little conflict.

Enjoying some nice French chocolate and raspberry juice in the fanciest wine goblet I could find before grabbing some sleep - been a long day, but I wanted to nab response 1000 with an update before the chance escaped me. And finding a way to make it an unusually good conquest - as it turned out setting a record for the most cities we've taken in a turn for the second turn in a row - was essential.

Just don't expect me to take eleven cities next turn...sometimes two data points isn't enough to constitute a trend :).

There aren't many enemy ships in the Pacific, and they're as likely to go by Hawaii as anywhere, so I figure it won't hurt too much.

I was referring to Pearl Harbor... Never mind...

Great updates! Can we expect more this week? :mischief:

Just kidding :lol:

I was referring to Pearl Harbor... Never mind...

Japan's already dead. ;)

Great Update!

3 cities in Africa? The World Map shows a 4th city. :confused:

Could you post a save?
It would be interesting just to load it to grasp the sheer power you have.

on your little forum thig you guys seem to be obsessed with world maps, here's mine I'm the blue ( Blue is America, and i ALWAYS play as America Reason: I am a patriot, and i cant stand the thought of having to conquer my own country :(

P.S. can you guys see the picture?

We like to see where the AI's are in their wars, and just how much land he controls. It's pretty damn amazing that he already controls half the world.

on your little forum thig you guys seem to be obsessed with world maps, here's mine I'm the blue ( Blue is America, and i ALWAYS play as America Reason: I am a patriot, and i cant stand the thought of having to conquer my own country :(

Personally, America's one of my least favorite civs in the game because the UU STINKS (In my opinion. No offense to you though, people play different ways)!
And no, I can't see the picture.

Next Game = 31 civs on a tiny map, Sid difficulty!

:crazyeye: I'm still trying to beat Emperor! I did win a war on Diety once in Vanilla, but I'd be totally swamped trying that!

Japan's already dead. ;)

Great Update!

3 cities in Africa? The World Map shows a 4th city. :confused:

*searches map* There is! The sneaky city was hiding and managed to escape detection! A better strategy than fighting, too be sure. Thanks for mentioning that! Time to draft a couple more Mech Inf...

Could you post a save?
It would be interesting just to load it to grasp the sheer power you have.

In a short time once I'm a bit further ahead in the story. I don't want this to be a author vs. readers how-quick-can-you-conquer battle quite yet. This turn isn't even over yet, either.

I don't see any picture. I'd suggest registering at Photobucket, uploading there, and using the
Code:
[IMG]
links viewable from your Photobucket album to post the picutre.

You could play as someone other than America in a game without America as an opponent. Unless you always play Random opponents - then you could always switch to Domination/Culture/Space Race instead of Conquest.

*Kersht* Err, that's a negative, over. *Kersht*

Qu: Your world is geting brighter (green) every day...

:lol: That's what the cartographers say! Haven't been able to get the environmentalists to agree with them yet, though :sad:.

Dang it. You beat my cities-conquered-in-one-turn record.:cry:

:D It's at ten right now (forgot to count Wonsan the first time), and thanks to that well-hidden Mongol city it's about to be eleven. So start going for a dozen!

The scary thing is, I don't even have Modern Armor yet...

----

Hello from 2018! Something is wonky in the formatting!

Last edited by a moderator:
1988 AD - Just when it looked like the Mongol losses were over for awhile, an astute observor mentioned to the King that there was another city within reach. So Radar Artillery were immediately sent, and Tanks were close behind.

Ulysess was already injured before making that attack, the Mongols weren't that strong! Half the Mongol Empire has now been conquered in a single turn, making this our most deadly attack to date. We don't expect to conquer the rest of their empire next turn - the distances are too great, and we can't afford to draft enough to power this type of advance every turn - but it's safe to say they aren't coming back from this.

Just because we can, we now decide to try an uphill (literally) battle to take the Mayan city of Copan this turn.

The first Tank retreats, which means we can't take it this turn. So we don't send the second Tank in. Oh well, it was worth a try.

We now turn to sea battles! An Elite Battleship challenges an English Ironclad near the Aztec city of Tula.

That didn't work out quite how we'd hoped. Oh well, the land battles went amazingly well.

And at long last, the turn ends. We conquered 11 cities, Mongolia is minus half their empire, and the rest of the world is wondering what just happened.

1988 IBT - Spain and Korea make peace. Guess they figured it wasn't worth fighting across the seas.

The Hittites take Macchu Picchu without too much difficulty. The Incan Riflemen are doing OK, but it's just not enough against the swarms of Hittite Cavalry and their fearsome Infantry defenders.

The Mongols do manage to score a small victory by destroying a couple of Radar Artillery I had left unguarded and too close to the front. They also continue their battles with England as if nothing had ever happened.

1989 AD - We begin this turn the easy way, marching into the English city of Leiria unopposed.

We'd bombed it's only defender out of existence the turn before ;).

We aren't letting up on Mongolia this turn, either. Agamemnon leads an attack on Mandalgovi to begin our offensive.

It ends up taking three armies thanks to sheer distance, but the city taken, and what we believe is Mongolia's last source of rubber is along with it.

In Madagascar, our advance is temporarily halted by some Mongol Cavalry trying to sneak past our troops to take Frankfurt - just when I thought it was secure! Our Infantry divert from their mission to attack Intombe to stop the Cavalry.

A Leader! We try to load him onto a Helicopter, but apparently one guy on foot doesn't count as a foot soldier. So we'll have to send a Transport this way to move our new Army to the mainland - or perhaps the New World.

Speaking of Transports, Persepolis finished one this turn that we plan to use for invading the British Isles. But a Persian Destroyer is inconveniently parked right outside of Persepolis, and out of the range of our Battleship. So our Radar Artillery redline it, and then we call in the newest weapon in our arsenal.

Cruise Missile incoming! It does the job brilliantly and the Destroyer is sunk. The Transport to Britain will likely set sail next turn, as right now most of our Tanks are in the repair shops.

1989 IBT - The Sumerians enter an alliance against the Persians. Unlike in their war against America, Sumeria has a legitimate advantage this time.

Mongol Cavalry unsuccessfully attack the Greek settlements of Megara, Choybalsan, and Kazan this turn. That's likely their last huzzah.

1990 AD - We'll start this year with a Demographic Update (trying to get on an every ten years schedule but it's been a bit off the last two decades).

The population of 66,624,000 is an 11.3% increase from eight years ago (1982), a healthy but not shocking increase. The drafting of 1988 likely adversely affected this statistic. The world population is 100,945,454 - a 3.9% decrease since 1982. After the drafting of 1988, it stood at a mere 99.6 million, the first time it's been under 100 million for quite a long time. That it has since increased, however, indicates that the disturbing decreases of recent decades may at long last be at an end.

The Greek GNP has increased by a healthy 12.9% in the past eight years, while manufacturing has skyrocketed by over 600 megatons - a 26.4% increase. The completion of many Manufacturing Plants is primarily to thank for this.

Land Area has increased by over 70,000 square miles - 25.2%. We now control 49% of the world's total land area.

Quality of life has slightly improved, with literacy increasing 1% to 86% (and now being the highest in the world) and life expectancy increasing two years to 68 years (and going from fifth to third in the world). Pollution is increasing at a higher rate than ever before, soaring from 54 tons to 89 tons. At a 64.8% increase over eight years, pollution is by far our quickest-growing category . At this rate we'll be in triple digits by 1992. Already 2.5% of our land is covered by pollution. This is getting ridiculous.

Our culture has surpassed 80,000 and our score is at 2227. Other than our environmental difficulties, everything is going swimmingly.

Back to combat! We'll start out against the Mongols. Almarikh is the easternmost Mongol city, and surrounded by plains covered with mines. It is certain to fall to our onslaught of Radar Artillery and Tanks this turn.

With only a single Infantry and a Spearman, it fell even easier than we expected. Still, we didn't take any chances, and redlined the Spearman with our Radar Artillery just as we would have done to a stronger unit.

Darhan, southwest of Karakorum, comes next. Radar Artillery again redline the defenders, allowing a single Tank to take the city.

Ulaanbaatar is next. It is the closest city to the capital.

Mongolia is now down to five cities and fifteen land units (two of them Spearmen). They'll live to see another turn, but the Byzantines might not. We start out by killing a couple of Guerillas, promoting a Tank to Elite.

A Bomber then bombs Heraclea, and at the mouth of the Nile, six Marines get on a Transport, which then sets sail towards Heraclea. As they approach the city, cruise missiles rocket towards military targets within.

Two missiles hit the city, greatly weakening its garrison. The Marines then land.

Thanks for playing, Theodora. You were a good ally until you betrayed me.

Thirteen civilizations remain, but resistance will be ever harder - Greek control of the land has now reached 50%.

Our next advance is against Birka, the English city on the Korean Peninsula that we first attacked about a quarter-century ago. We've got workers building roads and rails to the area at long last, but for now, an Elite Tank is ready to attack.

:woohoo: Finally got that city!

1990 IBT -

Oh no! Forgot those guys!

The Persian Renaissance has come. Let's hope it is short-lived. They've still got resisters in some of their old cities, hope this doesn't excite them too much...

????? I wasn't expecting this...

...and then nothing happens. Bit of a let down - I thought Lincoln had declared war for some reason.

America continues to be haplessly inefficent in their war with the Maya at any rate, continually losing far more units than the Maya, though they do replace them more quickly as well.

Of perhaps greater import is this:

Korea managed to swipe the Persian city of Ergili, in the Canadian Arctic. This makes them much more difficult to eliminate. Considering their military relative to that of Persia, it's not too much of a surprise - they've got 15 Infantry, 3 Guerillas, 3 Cavalry, 5 Transports, a Cruiser, and Aircraft Carrier, 2 Fighters, and, with their 12 Destroyers, a navy nearly as strong as my own even now. Whether they take Khurasan to finish their conquest of the island will be interesting.

Top Bottom