Multiplayer LAN with Fall From Heaven II

Matt2954

Chieftain
I tried making a multiplayer LAN game with a friend with Fall From Heaven II loaded but it doesn't show up in the lobby meaning nobody can join, is this a problem with the mod? I can play normal civ on LAN with no problems and even other mods have worked so it just seems to be this mod. I'd appreciate any help.

That happens to me, too. Not always, but usually, and I don't know why. The work-around is to use Direct Connection, where you put in the host's IP address. Never had any problems with it.

never ha a problem unless the pcs have had patches put on them in different orders.

ie if both machines have been patched a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j then everythings fine, but if one has been patched a then j it falls over. same with 3 player lan, had xp and vista machines playing a 3 way game, and as long as all machines have been patched in the same way it works.

so i would suggest removing ffh and all patches. re-install the base mod and then patch dirrect with the latest patch, make sure you do this and you should be good

I tried making a multiplayer LAN game with a friend with Fall From Heaven II loaded but it doesn't show up in the lobby meaning nobody can join, is this a problem with the mod? I can play normal civ on LAN with no problems and even other mods have worked so it just seems to be this mod. I'd appreciate any help.

I've noticed that sometimes it just takes a little time for the game to show up. There are times when my LAN games don't show right away, but a litle patience and refreshing the list tends to fix the problem. I'm not sure if you've waited for a while or not, but it can be a little slow at times.

I've had this problem many times with my brother but usually only playing internet games, not LAN. We thought that maybe it was just taking time to show up at first, but after twenty different attempts and about 1000 refreshes, accepted there was an problem.

We downloaded Hamachi and use it with direct ip and it works absolutely fine. It's incredibly simple to install and set up. Pretty much 3 clicks in total.

Hamachi

The idea about patching in the correct order sounds interesting. Hadn't occurred to me, but it may be correct as we didn't have any problems with most versions then suddenly couldn't see each other's games in lobbies. I may think I may have missed a patch at some point.

I am having this problem and would prefer not to use Hamachi if at all possible. Have any new ideas come forward, or are we all just using Hamachi?

I've done this:
so i would suggest removing ffh and all patches. re-install the base mod and then patch dirrect with the latest patch, make sure you do this and you should be good

and some of this:
I've noticed that sometimes it just takes a little time for the game to show up. There are times when my LAN games don't show right away, but a litle patience and refreshing the list tends to fix the problem. I'm not sure if you've waited for a while or not, but it can be a little slow at times.
How long should I wait/refresh? I feel like I've waited a while, but no longer than a minute or two.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I'm having the same problem and nothing seems to be working. If Hamachi is the only way around it I don't know what to do, as that doesn't seem to work either. Using Hamachi Direct IP causes the game to go out of sync every so often (might get in half an hour or so of play, but then once it starts de-syncing it happens more and more frequently). Nothing shows up in LAN or internet lobbies at all. Any ideas?

I am having this problem and would prefer not to use Hamachi if at all possible. Have any new ideas come forward, or are we all just using Hamachi?

I've done this:

and some of this:

How long should I wait/refresh? I feel like I've waited a while, but no longer than a minute or two.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

A minute or two should be plenty of time. If it's not showing after that amount of time, then it's not impatience that's the problem. Another thing you could try is to make sure your security software isn't blocking the program. Windows firewall and other security software sometimes have to be told to allow those games to do what they need to do in order to play online or over a network. I don't remember ever having to do this with Civ, but it's worth looking into if nothing else seems to be working.

That raises a question. Can you play on a network or online with regular civ or is this FFH specific? If you are talking about playing online, it's very likely you will have to add civilization to your list of exceptions if you use windows firewall.

Civ is excepted with my firewall. I'll see if any other security programs are blocking it.

And the problem is only with FFH (and some other mods). Vanilla Civ4 works fine with LAN.

Top Bottom