Lonely Hearts Club, BTS Edition, Chapter XVI: Mansa Musa

r_rolo1

King of myself
Welcome to the 16th edition of the Lonely Hearts Club for BTS. In the Lonely Hearts Club we explore strategies to cope with one of the most dreaded situations in Civ IV ( possibly the main reason for reloads after the military collapse one :p ): starting in isolation....

For the 16th game in BTS the choosed leader was Mansa Musa of the Malinese:
Spoiler :

Oh , our dear "mr techer and open hand tech trader"... Mansa was always one of my favorite leaders to face: he techs extremely well and is one of the AI that it is less stingy about the tech trades. He also is possibly one of the more single minded techer AI in BtS ( I remember a game where a isolated Mansa beelined Lib so hard that he got Lib before Civil Service :eek: ). For good or bad ,Mansa AI will not be in the game ....
Mansa pack of traits is Fin/Spi... a nice and strong combination for a cottage economy based empire. His UB is a strong help to money making and also explains some of the easiness that Mansa AI has in teching...

His UU.
Spoiler :

The skirmisher is a stronger archer that also gains a first strike chance... In spite of being a good UU ( and a decent early rusher ), I'm not too keen on it for isolation , where it will be most surely relegated for antibarb duties due to its earlynees ( and , in my case ,because I hate to research archery... )

His UB.
Spoiler :

The Mint is a beefed forge that provides 10% multiplier on cash.... This in a Fin civ is huge, considering the relative earliness of the avaliability ( it is the earliest cash multiplier in game... ) makes it a extemely useful buiding. combining :) , prod and money multipliers is without doubt one of the strongest UB in game , especially if you plan to make your game to last ( like almost always in isolation )

The start (for reasons that I'll explain below, the warrior may not be exactly in that spot in your game ):
Spoiler :

Well, this start is far from bad :lol: 2 plains cows + 3 clams.... it doesn't suffer from lack of food, most surely ;) The big drawback is that , unless you go Dave style and cottage resources ,this start does not call for cottage spam.... Maybe it calls for a change of capital in the future? Either way, improving those cows and clams most likely will be priority #1 of most games

Again I made a functional scenario ( still some issues to learn about that... but that is why the warrior may appear in diferent places: the scenario has predetermined starting positions, not actual units ).... All the speeds are working well ( no more games ending in 1900 ) and the levels almost as well. The save is zipped... you only have to unzip this to the worldbuilder saves or for the PublicMaps folder ( either one will do ) and load it from the scenarios.
Any problem PM me...

Again a small request ( not mandatory :p ) :

We ask the participants to do, if possible, a write-up with the victory save and a description of your game ( strategies, techs researched, wars,...). All the info should be in spoiler tags ( to not disturb other people's games ). If you want ( we would like to :p ) post reports at this moments of the game:

Checkpoint 1 - when we have explored the island and are aware of what resources it has. Its not so important when this is, but this is a time to discuss city sites etc. Don't look into a checkpoint 1 spoiler until you have reached this point yourself.

Checkpoint 2 - first contact - when we have met all the other AIs. At this point we can discuss our strategy to get to this point and our plans for dealing with them.

Checkpoint 3 - when we are committed to a victory condition (or at least think we are).

Checkpoint 4 - Victory (or defeat).

The last words are to wish good luck to all :goodjob: . And let the games begin!

P.S We don't have any kind of problem with defeats and reruns. Just play and enjoy ;)

Attachments

• LHC XVI.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 335
I'm in! Maybe with some extra experience I won't get wtfpwned this time. Maybe.

One thing that bothers me playing the LHC series is fundamental tactical cheating. There are some openings that are usually not effective, but in isolation would/could be. For example, bulbing theo to make the AP and spreading the religion for a cheese diplo win (not hard with a caravel beeline, use the oracle to take MC (especially strong here), grab calendar, currency etc, then straight shot optics. Astro isn't even necessary...just use 3 caravels ftw. Normally, this would get you killed, but who's going to attack in isolation?

A similar approach can be taken with culture, where basically you'd found more religions, shrine it up, and take advantage of the 50% culture bonuses from the top religious buildings + sistine + artists to pound out a cultural win. Once the AI's find you, you can always switch to FR (you want free speech anyway!), spam troops in the non culture cities, and hope for the best :/. Thing is, doing this takes me away from a tech path I'd normally do, not knowing I'm in isolation. I doubt I'd know I'm isolated before I'd lose some time off this strat, so in the spirit of learning how to play iso games I don't want to do it.

The problem for me on these maps though is a runaway AI. I love to warmonger, but obviously I've got to wait a bit on this kind of map, and of course rushing to astro with no economy or units to actually invade with isn't conducive to winning. The challenge for a warmonger like me on these maps is getting out there with a strong enough economy and advanced enough military in time :(. In other words, I need to seriously tighten up how I run my economy to tech.

One thing I'd like to add is that I really like the mids on continents maps/isolation. This is because I can take US without getting to democracy. Normally making a fleet of galleons takes time. However, if you can buy ships, then getting enough galleons to spank someone still in middy times with rifles isn't a huge reach at all. In fact, you can field the requisite navy almost as quickly as you can draft (prefer upgrading CR maces though)!

@semirami

Ouch... :lol:

@TheMeInTeam

Some points:

The AP diplo win in 3.13 became far more dificult than what you're describing ( due to the 75% rule )... because you'll need one of the following:
One colony that votes for you
One Friend that votes for you
and both are not that easy to get to work properly in due time... To not elongate much in here, I refer to My article " You , yourself and your shadow" for a more detailed explanation.
Culture via religion stockpiling can be pretty hard too and makes you incur in the more dangerous diplo status that you can encounter in isolation: a lovefest in the other side of the ocean, with the consequent lagging down in tech + diplo demerit ( if they love each other badly, you can become instant wortst enemy of a lot of civs and it can put them with ambitions on you before you can go to FR ).... I think that culture via religions is somewhat more dangerous than the non isolated counterpart, especially if you can't win before the other civs get to Combustion.

The runaway civ is always a possible problem , but , if take some measures regarding diplo normally it can be managed.... otherwise it is time to good ol' modern war with hundrets of units :ar15: :lol:

I am going to try Emperor this month, I need to start working on my higher level "timings", like when important techs and Wonders get built, etc. Isolation is a good place to practice that, I think, and Mansa is a great leader, with 2 solid top-tier traits.

haven't played since Ethiopia, so I hope I can get a decent score again. I'll probably try Emperor.

This is my first LHC game so I'm going to do monarch. Plus i recently moved down to marathon, so i want more experience in that speed.

Decided on Epic Emperor again.

Checkpoint 1

Spoiler :

Started off looking good and settled in place. Popped 3 huts gold, a scout and a border pop gave me mysticism. Scouted the island and not very impressed with what I find. :D

Lack of happies again. Well sugar but need calender which is a long way away. No stone, marble or bronze so wonders will be a lot harder to get. Iron at the other end of the island and 2 horses. On the plus side there is a lot of cottagable land so I can see a lot of cottages going down.
One lucky event:

The +2 health will come in handy.
Early shot of the capital:

I'm hoping to get MC from the Oracle but don't mind missing it for the cash. Not sure yet what route to take. Once I get monarchy I'll start settling the island and decide what victory route to try for later.

Off to check point 2.

Immortal/Epic

Mansa Musa. If given sufficient resources he is a fine leader for just about any situation ... let's see what rolo gave us:

Checkpoint 1:
Spoiler :

Three clams and two cows visible means our capital wont starve :lol:. However the surrounding territory is not very large and is resource deficient.

Happy: 3 sugar :(
Health: clams/fish/cows/rice/pigs

Additionally there is no marble, stone, or copper. This is going to be tricky. While exploring the island (many panthers -- I'll have killed 11 by 1500BC) the northern hut was generous:

I'll take it. The current plan is to try for the GLH and then tech towards monarchy for happy relief. Iron Working is also a priority to trim back the jungle.

GLH comes in at 1700BC:

By 1500BC I have a rough idea of where cities will be placed. It looks like 9 total:

Two more city sites are further north on the island by the seafood. In the above screen you can see I'm going for a risky attempt to chop out the oracle :mischief: Earlier monarchy would be great. Also I've mapped a city three tiles east of the capital to "borrow" a clam and maybe a cow -- the capital will have trouble working all it's food anyways.

Many cottages lie under the jungle ;)

Now I can read the other early checkpoints ...

Spoiler :
Am i the only one that settled 2E 1N? To me it seems like an infinitely superior starting location. You lose 1 clam and 1 turn but you gain access to a river which will let you build a levee later on which will get you 10 hammers, definitely worth it. Plus a ton more riverside cottages for an extra early commerce boost. And less ocean and coast tiles overall.

I played too much and am already at checkpoint 2.
Spoiler :

I decided to do some wonderspamming in my capital. Got stonehenge, oracle, great lighthouse, pyramids, and colossus. It was a mistake, i think. It delayed me too long in getting most of my cities out. I should have gotten the oracle at the most for fast metal casting, but oh well.

So Asoka didn't stand a chance against these jerks. He founded judaism and hinduism but got destroyed in 800bc. Shaka is a monster, but a ******ed one. Him and Tokugawa have pissed everybody off, including each other and are both way behind in tech. I can't see Shaka taking over his continent because he's so far behind in tech.. Willem is by far ahead of everyone, he's ahead of me. JC and Charlemagne are a little behind me, but ahead of shaka and tokugawa. Willem will be easy to get along with once we both switch to free religion and he's going to be my best buddy. I'm also trading with JC and Charlemagne. Toku and Shaka can eff themselves, I won't be playing ball with them at all. Hopefully i can get combustion before they even get astronomy.

For a victory condition i'm probably going to go for a marine and fighter powered domination victory. Gonna get the kremlin and rushbuy nonstop once i hit industrialism. Rushbuying is just so mansa.

Spoiler :
Am i the only one that settled 2E 1N? To me it seems like an infinitely superior starting location. You lose 1 clam and 1 turn but you gain access to a river which will let you build a levee later on which will get you 10 hammers, definitely worth it. Plus a ton more riverside cottages for an extra early commerce boost. And less ocean and coast tiles overall.

Spoiler :

Yep that looks better to me ... my warrior started west of the settler, and I didn't re-check rolo's pic. That's my excuse -- it will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes.

I might just possibly drop to Noble for this one and indulge my fantasy of being the AI Mansa. :D

Spoiler :

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Never underestimate Shaka. He's a freaking monster. Been at war with everyone. Toku voluntarily vassaled to him after he got owned by Julius. His power is ridiculous. 2millon compared to my 500,000. And i have so many garrison troops for my HR happiness.

Having happiness troubles, stuck in HR. I might be able to switch over to US when I finally put every religion in every city and get temples in each.

Techwise i've pulled ahead. Shaka still doesn't have astronomy, but he does have rifles. Somehow they all got them about the same time. Everybody has their reasearch turned off while they upgrade them i think. Nobody's researched in anything new in a while. Willem's has like 140 turns to chemistry, so i know he's busy upgrading. I'm halfway done with Assembly line. Debating turning off research for a bit while i upgrade all my longbows and rifles to infantry. Might also turn off research to rushbuy missionaries and temples and finally get out of HR.

I really hope i can get to combustion and industrialism before shaka dows me.

Oh yeah, Willem tried attacking me, send about a dozen units. Repelled them fine. Thank god I was stuck in HR and had to keep a big garrison.

Checkpoint 3

Spoiler :

Shaka's inevitable DOW finally came. I was right! I got combustion before he got astronomy. he's had his hands full for centuries now. He's sent about 5 waves of rifles, cavalry, and trebs. Been taking them out with minimal losses. I've taken out dozens of ships, no losses. To give you an idea of how many units he's lost, his power went from 2,400,000 down to 1,600,000. Mine is up to 1,200,000. For a long time Julius was afraid of his military might. Well no more! Bribed him to attack shaka for a measly 900 gold.

Teching flight now. So just need electricity and industrialism after that and I can take over the world. Took 1 city on the mainland. Going after Asoka's double holy city next. Shaka wants the city on the mainland for peace. He's nuts. before that he only wanted 200 gold, but i refuse to pay him. I'm not ending the war until he gives me something, and maybe not even then. Only 3 techs away and i'll completely turn off research, war weariness isn't a problem. There's no reason for me to end the war now. He's just providing me free GG points.

Small update.

Spoiler :

Woo! Found my wall street city. 2 shrines. 30 gold and 36 gold. I will avenge you, Asoka! Shaka and I are now at equal power, and even with a vassal his score is only 300 more than mine. I've been blockading all his coastal cities and his population is shrinking fast. Willem has now joined the dogpile on shaka.

TIn spite of being a good UU ( and a decent early rusher ), I'm not too keen on it for isolation , where it will be most surely relegated for antibarb duties due to its earlynees ( and , in my case ,because I hate to research archery... )

I kind of like it. You usually have to stack up military police anyway, so they might as well be a UU; it feels like less of a waste that way. :lol:

Checkpoint 2

Spoiler :

Well I think I made a big mistake by trying to meet the neighbours as early as I could instead of settling the island a bit better. As of 1000AD I've got 4 cities and only the Capital is any good at the moment. :D

Timbuktu:

Only 2 wonders built. The Oracle which I took Metal Casting and the Great Library which I used an engineer on. Gained an extra scientist from an event and I also have the 7 librarys quest don't think I will manage that one which is a shame as 4 free scientists would be great.
Techs:

Not too far behind. Hopefully use education to catch up. Plenty of wars at the moment to keep the AI busy. I'm just hoping Shaka won't be vassalised as he will be my first target if I get that far. :lol:

Future plan is to try and get to Lib first. Aim to take Astro. Then head for Nat and Rifles whilst mass settling the island.See how quick I can manage that. I don't fancy my chances to much but will see in checkpoint 3.

A general question. When isolated is it better to try and meet the neighbours ASAP as I did in this game. Or let them come to you first as I did in the last game? I suppose a lot depends on the starting position. Just wondering what other people think.

Ok. TheMeInTeam is out for revenge, and begins a new LHC game. Can we not get stepped on by a warmonger civ or laughably out teched by mr six cities? Let's find out!

Checkpoint 1:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Yep that looks better to me ... my warrior started west of the settler, and I didn't re-check rolo's pic. That's my excuse -- it will be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes.

Spoiler :
I'm just a noob, and tend to settle in place unless it is super godly obvious I should move. My warrior also started west too though.

Inspired by rrolo's isolationist article, I decided to try out one of the LHC games. My last isolated game was circa 7 billion years ago somewhere around settler difficulty, so I'm not quite sure how this will come out.

So I took immortal/normal save wished myself good luck and started the game.

Checkpoint 1 (-1000 BC)

Spoiler :
I was quite lucky with the huts and got free agriculture/AH(after spending 8 turns researching it:()
After the basic worker techs, I went for the oracle-CoL, got Confu and I'm now teching monarchy for some :))
I founded 2 cities so far; 2N of the pigs (most likely the future capital) and 1N of the rice, another settler is on his way for the spot NE from the horses
I'm planing to get 7-8 cities and use a heavy CE to tech my way towards the space victory, but some intercontinental invasions might also be an option.

Checkpoint 2 and a bit :D

Spoiler :

1290 and I've just lost the Lib race :sad:

Wil didn't take astro with Lib he's had it for some time. Was waiting for him to invade me but luckily the AP pact decided to attack Shaka so were all at war with him instead :lol:. Trouble for me is where to go from here. I will finish Lib (6 turns) and go into free religion. Should stop Wil from attacking me as long as he goes into it.

In hindsight I think it would have been a lot better for me to take CoL from the Oracle and rather go machinery/optics head for civil service and let the AI come to me. If I get an early loss I might go back and try that instead. :)
Looking forward to see how everbody else gets on.

Top Bottom