AA03: DeGaulle's Aggressive Adventures

pholkhero

Deviant Mind
AA03: DeGaulle’s Aggressive Adventures

Rivals: 7 (Mao, Cathy, GW, Joao, JC, Hammy, Brennus)
Difficulty: Emperor
Map: Great Plains
Size: Standard
Speed: Epic
Victory Conditions: All Enabled
Variant Rules: Aggressive AI; Raging Barbs

Please Actually Read!
Spoiler DMSGEG :

Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win.

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; a bare-bones/no commentary, auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Be Excellent to Each Other. Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. We’re here to play in a friendly environment. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged. However, don’t be jerk.

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Is it so hard to push the spacebar 15 times??

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it. [The only exception to this are city specialization signs.]

A Note on Turnsets: I have hereby abolished specified turn length for sets in games I start (i.e., play 10 turns, 15, etc). Turnsets will be determined by in-game events, whereby each person will play until a “significant stopping point.” This could be a tech discovery, end of a GAge, end/beginning of war, birth of a GP, etc. I trust the RNGod will show you the way during your set. However, please play no less than 15, no more than 30 turns per set.

A Further Note on Punctuality: In an effort to tighten up the pace of my games, I will be as harsh as the Fox on the 24/48 deadline. You have been warned!

The roster has been imported from AA02. Please check in to report for duty, or bow out gracefully. I'll take a couple of sign-ups to take the place of one of the fallen.

Roster:
Kikinit
beserks01
Imhotep
pholkhero
mystyfly
negyvenketto

Start Tomorrow ~

Was raging barbs on for the other AA as well, or is that something new?

Well, since I'm already committed to the AA series, might as well stick it til the bitter end. I'm game. There goes my one SG at a time restriction :rolleyes: .

pholk, as much as I'd love to play, my children are demanding too much of my time at the moment so I'll have to come in and spectate as often as I can until I get my life back onto my terms.

:salute:

Looking foreward to some more :hammer:

About punctuality: As there will be quite some warring (how did I figure THIS out??) playing + reporting will take quite some time. Is it ok if I post the save, while the report follows later? These sets take ~2.5-3 hrs (playing + reporting) so I probabely won't find time to do both the same day...

Was raging barbs on for the other AA as well, or is that something new?

Well, since I'm already committed to the AA series, might as well stick it til the bitter end. I'm game. There goes my one SG at a time restriction :rolleyes: .

:salute: Checking in, can't wait for some :hammer:

·Imhotep·;6730240 said:
Checking in... :salute:
welcome back crew!

pholk, as much as I'd love to play, my children are demanding too much of my time at the moment so I'll have to come in and spectate as often as I can until I get my life back onto my terms.
Kids? KIDS?!?! Buy my patented "Kid-Cage" ~ complete w/all the accessories you'll need to keep your kids quiet and occupied for an SG turn length of time.

I would love to take over kikinit, if you would forgive my being be presumptuous. ;)
In! Welcome back Fox ~ good to be playing with you again ~

About punctuality: As there will be quite some warring (how did I figure THIS out??) playing + reporting will take quite some time. Is it ok if I post the save, while the report follows later? These sets take ~2.5-3 hrs (playing + reporting) so I probabely won't find time to do both the same day...
to be clear, these rules are LK's 24 to get it . . . [edit. note: which i see was not clear. to say better ->

LKs standard rules are 24 to get it, 48 total. In our guidelines, it's s 48 hr to post your report after the initial 24 hr got it. So, 72 hours total. I think that's fair. Also, i would rather you post the report and save at the same time (w/a few exceptions made for when RL bites you in the asz).

I say we take the gems, settle in place, and trust the RNGod for some cows nearby. although a warrior move NE might give us a clue about nice territory up there ~

W/those things mined plus the extra happy of CHA and monuments! Large, large cities in the early game for us i think. This is my first try on emperor in any fashion, let alone aggai and raging barbs (which HAS always been on ~ see my forgetfulness in teh beginning of AA02 ~ "Great Wall? Why would we need that??"

although, w/IND, we should try for many ~ TGWall and Stonehenge are hgh on my list.

Roster:
beserks01 >> UP NOW
Imhotep >> on deck
pholkhero
mystyfly
negyvenketto
GreyFox

Attachments

• AA03.StartingSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    31.4 KB · Views: 145
Well, I think we should devote our Capital to a production powerhouse. Farm everything and work the hills, post Biology we could put some workshops on the plains...

it be nice if we didn't have those two desert hills though. maybe we can see something better just nearby.

I vote settle in place. We can look around for our 2nd city site instead of wasting time now.

pholkhero said:
LKs standard rules are 24 to get it, 48 total. In our guidelines, it's s 48 hr to post your report after the initial 24 hr got it. So, 72 hours total. I think that's fair. Also, i would rather you post the report and save at the same time (w/a few exceptions made for when RL bites you in the asz).
I always try to play, post and report at the same time but this sometimes isn't possible. In fact I only have very little time on thursdays and fridays sometimes. + Lots of work for school (I'm not the only one I'm sure) + sometimes tournaments where I'm OOP the whole weekend.

It's always possible to write some lines about the game but I'd rather report later but more detailed with lots of screenshots. This mainly is just fair for those that can't open saves all the time and only are able to read the reports throught the day (at work for example :rolleyes:). If I'm wrong, tell me...

edit: I also vote for settling in place :goodjob:

that's why you have 72 hours, though. if you are busy, and you don't see the game for a day, you still have 48 hours play and report. Don't think you'll have time to a report like you'd want for whatever reason, just ask for a swap or a skip. No big deal.

Even if you see it the minute after it's posted and know you'll be busy, let us know that you'll probably need all 72 hours, and maybe someone can hop ahead of you in that time.

And every once in a while, you'll grab it with every intent of playing and reporting straightaway, but RL interferes (as it always does to Civ :rant: ). Just posting a quick summary and the save is fine every once or twice in an SG. You can report more later if you want, but i'd like to have saves posted within at least 72 hours of each other.

Finally, Imhotep used to have a standing rule that he could never play on sat or sun. If his turns were coming up that way, he'd arrange to be skipped or swapped up or back in the roster. If you want, we can just assume you'll be on auto-skip if your turns come on thurs or fri??

And alright all ready! just settle and let's be on with it ~ i'm anxious to see where this game goes. I have a very RotQM feeling about this ~ either it's the good kind from the first one, or the bad kind for the other 5 . . .

Got it. Will play and report tomorrow.

I think the conventional 24/48 SG etiquette doesn't means 72 in total ... it simply means you have 24 hrs to post a got-it from the time the previous player post his save+report, and then 48hrs from the time you post your got-it to play and report. So, unless you schedule your got-it exactly on the dot of the 24th hour, you typically has less than 72hrs in total.

The starting site is a bit ... plain, eh? Considering it is Great Plains, I guess I shouldn't be surprised :lol: The southern edge is near though.

Given Raging Barb (on Emperor, appears as early as 2800BC), I think it imperative to either head for archery first, or to head for Masonry for GWall.

I think the conventional 24/48 SG etiquette doesn't means 72 in total ... it simply means you have 24 hrs to post a got-it from the time the previous player post his save+report, and then 48hrs from the time you post your got-it to play and report. So, unless you schedule your got-it exactly on the dot of the 24th hour, you typically has less than 72hrs in total..
which is why i think the 72-hour policy is a more lenient one. I would only bounce someone after the 72 total hours were up.

Alright, fine guys. This is just worst case, not usual. And on fridays I've never got to learn for exams (and rarely on thursdays):p But I'll request to be swapped/skipped when I'm short on time.

Well,given we're industrious and have all that production in place the GW should be a no-brainer...

So, Paris is found and a worker is ordered up. Research set to mining.

Hut gave us map, nothing useful except maybe some good land to the west.

Hut gave us a scout.

Hut gave 37g.

Purple border just north of us.

Hammy showed up from teh east.

Mining came in, start Masonry.

Purple border is JC :eek:

Hut gave us 39g.

Mao showed up from the north east.

Paris: worker -> warrior.

Brennus showed up from our north east as well.

Masonry in, Hunting next on the way to archery.

Our land

Our scout survived 2 lions and a wolf attack and our warrior is healing from a lion attack.

Attachments

• AA03 BC-3375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    55.6 KB · Views: 196
Top Bottom