PYL Bullpen

Bleys

Deity
Since I was in the organizing mood, I decided to start a new PYL Bullpen thread as well as a new NC Bullpen one.

This thread will be the discussion area for future games, as well as provide links to previous games.

The concept is simple. One map, 7 AIs, all with their own unique starting position on that common map, but each player may choose whichever leader he wants to play!

We want to try and give a "common theme" to all the leaders, everything from a particular trait to "Funniest Hats" is fine. Here are links to all the current games and threads, including a couple of other discussion threads that may offer ideas for future games. Those earlier discussions are here and here. Read them if you want more information and such, I am linking them for the sake of "completeness" only. The 2nd one has some great ideas in it already. I only request that you not post to those other threads, and move all discussion of the series here.

Here are the game links themselves:
PYL I, FIN Civs. Note, there are some problems with this map, mostly involving AIs receiving proper bonuses. Currently I have no plans to "fix" it, but if there is enough interest, I could.
PYL II, Backstabbers! The first of the "7-saves" format, where each leader has his own WB Save. A blast of a game to play.
PYL III, Religious Zealots! 6 leaders known for their fanatical views on religion. Once again, diplomacy is pretty important!
PYL IV, Watery Leaders! A water based map with the strongest Water based leaders in the game! Should be a wet one!

A few ideas although I generally do not have that much time play

THUGS: You standard War-mongers on a Pangea map with agressive AI. Shaka/Ghengis/Ragnar/Toku/Al/Stalin/Boudica/Monty

ZEALOTS, or what I prefer Holy Hell!! Isabella/Charlemagne/Justinian/Saladin/Zara/Sury/Monty

Excellent suggestions mad! Just what we are looking for.

Like Zealots, that's a great idea.

Some others:
1) More trait specific, particularly the most often identified weaker traits. Protectives and Imperialists come to mind.
2) PACIFISTS in a no-war game.
3) LATE-GAME MASTERS: Agree upon list of leaders whose UB and UU are late in the game and play them out.

All IMPs and all PROs came out in the last thread as well. We also had "Best Mustaches", LOL.

The backstabber game has been a BLAST though, and I think everyone who tried it had fun. This isnt REALLY designed as a "learning" series, like many other series and RPC threads, this one is pure fun, baby. I had as much fun reading the reports as I had playing myself!

Then there is Ladies Night: Boudica/Hatty/Liz/Isabella/Cathy/Victoria. Of course you'll have 2 English AIs, and you also need someone to fill out the 7 slot which I nominate Sury as it's unclear to me whether he's even human!

The fat game: leaders who are distinctly overweight.

I really like the idea of the late UU/UB game: 3 Americans, 2 Germans, and 3 Russians. :)

Clash of the Frightened: Any easily bullied Civs.

All IMPs and all PROs came out in the last thread as well. We also had "Best Mustaches", LOL.

The backstabber game has been a BLAST though, and I think everyone who tried it had fun. This isnt REALLY designed as a "learning" series, like many other series and RPC threads, this one is pure fun, baby. I had as much fun reading the reports as I had playing myself!

Best Mustaches... NICE!

I wasn't thinking of IMP or PRO as a learning series per se, but as a way to compare how various traits can be leveraged with them and watching others play the leaders as well. So, sort of learning, but also sort of the Protective poll from a few weeks back, but in real action.

Early UU contest....

Charismatic Chalenge...

War of wonders ( yup... Ind dudes )

The channel war ( 3 english ,3 French and Ragnar ( as Normand ) )

American challenge ( all american civs ( except america :p ) vs Portugal, Spain and England ) ... ) - conquest only

Just some ideas...

The Seafarers (Civs that are strong on a watery map).

Resourcelessness (Civs with UUs that don't require strategic resources).

Sneaky Little SOBs (Civs whose UBs replace espionage-enhancing buildings).

Impolite Ones (Civs whose Leaders are looking somewhere else when they first meet you).

Mideast Conflict (Arabia, Babylon, Sumeria, Egypt, Ottomans).

Clash of the Muskets (2 Ottoman Leaders, 3 French Leaders, Zara, and perhaps Tokugawa).

Rise of the Industrialists (Civs with Production-enhacing UBs/UBs that replace production buildings).

Good stuff, GREAT stuff actually.

I am leaning toward Zealots on Fractal. This backstabber game was a blast because of the near-constant warring and close proximity of all the Civs. Zealots should provide a similar backdrop, but in a much different way, because most of these civs ARE loyal IF you can keep them happy religious-wise. We would only have one carry-over, Monty, unless we can come up with another AI who has super-strong religious convictions.

OK I am ready to crank out the next PYL. This month, its going to be Religious Zealots. I went with the suggestions of madscientist, but instead of finding a sub for Monty (Brennus may have been a good candidate, actually, but hes this rounds NC guy) I decided to go with 6 AIs instead of 7.

Also, at least for now, I am sticking with the Pangaea map for these. I tried 4 or 5 different ones, but I never liked the way that entire AIs were basically dividing the maps.

In order for the max "confrontation", I think we stick to the Pangaea map. I have not edited the map yet, but I finally generated one I liked with Charley, Izzy, Sal, Zara, Justinian, and Sury.

Now, as I was trying the map, I had some other ideas. All Seafareing on a M&S, Izzy again, and Hannibal, Jaoa, Ragnar, Willy, maybe an American (they start with Fishing).

Also, how about a Continents with 2 specific traits, 4 AIs of that trait on each continent. Maybe PRO on one landmass, and IMP on another (for the "weak" trait idea) or all PHI on one side and CHA on the other (for 2 strong traits).

Still like the Weird Hats and/or Coolest Mustaches too, LOL, so many ideas.

But I have a map, looks fun, 6 Religious Nutsos (minus Monty, he just seems to fit so many categories, heh, no worry you Monty fans, he WILL be making regular appearances in these). If anyone has any strong feelings about an adjustment, its 6 civs on a Pangaea. Editing it tomorrow morning (US-Eastern time), so you have tonight to offer ideas!

How about "Battle of the Beards"
Duel size Pangaea with Hammurabi and Gilgamesh only :p. There is no other leader that comes close.
Seriously though, what I'd like to play though is the seafarers game that was suggested

Not to hurry you, but . . . well . . . I guess it is to hurry you. When can we expect the aforementioned Zealot map?

Heh, sorry bout that, I got busy and it slipped my mind. I will work on it tonight, and hopefully get it up tomorrow. Should be another fun one like the Backstabbers, but with a bit more breathing room since its only 6 AIs.

With the seafarers you should take Washington or FDR, not lincoln. Washington is expansive and get's the cheap harbors. FDR has the Great Lighthouse Gambit that has been discussed much.

Heh, sorry bout that, I got busy and it slipped my mind. I will work on it tonight, and hopefully get it up tomorrow. Should be another fun one like the Backstabbers, but with a bit more breathing room since its only 6 AIs.

Great! Who knows I might actually get to finish one of these, my track record isn't great! Its a bit worrying really I think I probably give up too easily on games... I just realised I havn't completed a game since the NC Hannibal game! :eek:

OK working on the WB save now, but my turn got bumped up in our NCSG club game, so I am going to pump that out first. Expect this game to go up this afternoon though, I promise!

Next month I am thinking Seafarers, so start offering up AIs, trying to pick some we havent played much.

Jaoa, Hannibal, Willem, Ragnar, and an American for sure (not Lincoln, either Washington or Roosevelt, or even both, I can simply switch them to America-W and America-R right in the WB file)

But who else? Isabella seems like she fits, but shes in this round and I hate to repeat AIs.

After that, its going to be another "Trait War", leaning toward INDs, or PHIs, or maybe IMPs or PROs is better?

Top Bottom