Lonely Hearts Club, BTS Edition, Chapter XI: George Washington

r_rolo1

King of myself
Welcome to the 19th edition of the Lonely Hearts Club for BTS. In the Lonely Hearts Club we explore strategies to cope with one of the most dreaded situations in Civ IV ( possibly the main reason for reloads after the military collapse one :p ): starting in isolation....

For the 19th game in BTS the choosed leader was George Washington of the Americans
Spoiler :

Why George Washington? There was a thread not long ago where it was asked to choose a leader that ,in our opinion ,would be the one that you choose to cope a all random map ( Something like maps from Refar's Random Map Chooser ) and after a thought or two ( I also like the Ottoman UB very much ), I choosed Washington. Why? Wash is Cha/Exp, a combo that gives both Happy and Health from the traits and that , even if you don't have easy access to resources ( like it happens in isolated starts a lot ), helps you to have good sized cities early. Given that Exp also cuts Granary costs, IMHO the synergy is pretty evident....

Other thing to consider is the UU/UB combo. Both come very late in game, but they also have a good synergy and given that isolation, pushes wars to later, a boosted Cha Marine UU combined with a :) giving supermarket UB ( that is unlocked by a tech that gives 1 extra naval movement point .... ) is a very useful combo :devil:

His UU.
Spoiler :

SEALs are Marines with extra first strikes.... given that SEALs don't have anti-gunpowder bonuses, this extra FS help a lot dealing with entrenched infantries ( the main weakness of marines is dealing with them ). Given the more naval and later nature of war in isolation, this UU normally comes in times for the end of the world's conquer, especially if you beeline industrialism ( that is a nice war tech by itself )

His UB.
Spoiler :

The Mall is a boosted Supermarket that also gives :) from the Hits resources. This has all the possible uses that you can imagine for a huge :) boost ( 3 Hits resources + Mall + Broadcast towers = 9 :) ( 10 if Washington ( +1 :) from Cha + broadcast tower ))) with some food and health in the pack ( UN win boost, mangement of corp based extra pop .... ), but it also synergise very well with the UU, especially with the WW management: distract the people at home while warring abroad ( i really think that it was designed to be that way... ). A player using America can easily shut down research after Flight/Industrialism/Refrigeration and go conquer the world. If you have a Cha leader things are even better.....

The start (for reasons that I'll explain below, the warrior may not be exactly in that spot in your game ):
Spoiler :

No food probs in here ;) in fact , as the Americans start with fishing and agriculture, the big problem is to decide between workboat and worker as first build :lol: It also has atleast 10 riverside tiles ( strong food and levee potential )and some hills ( at least two plains hills ). It is clearly a strong Beauro strong site.

Again I made a functional scenario ( In that regard I must say a thing: free techs for both AI and humans are not kicking in, and that makes that AI in higher levels starts with warrior/scouts instead of archers ( with the correct numbers. Settlers/workers are working well ) . That is not a issue of my scenarios , but of the way the game is coded... the game atributes the free techs before choosing the leaders.... if the leaders are already chosen it simply moves on . And as the handicap file does not specify archers as free units , but simply "defensive units" ( if you give Rifling and Robotics to a AI, it will start with Mechs :lol: ) if the AI does not have archery they will get warriors/scouts ( depends on hunting ) instead. In isolation that is a minor issue ( you can't rush ;) ), so I took the decison of letting things to stay this way, because the correction would need to change the game code, a thing that is not exactly my objective with this games ) ).... All the speeds are working well ( no more games ending in 1900 ) The save is zipped... you only have to unzip this to the worldbuilder saves or for the PublicMaps folder ( either one will do ) and load it from the scenarios.
Any problem PM me...

Again a small request ( not mandatory :p ) :

We ask the participants to do, if possible, a write-up with the victory save and a description of your game ( strategies, techs researched, wars,...). All the info should be in spoiler tags ( to not disturb other people's games ). If you want ( we would like to :p ) post reports at this moments of the game:

Checkpoint 1 - when we have explored the island and are aware of what resources it has. Its not so important when this is, but this is a time to discuss city sites etc. Don't look into a checkpoint 1 spoiler until you have reached this point yourself.

Checkpoint 2 - first contact - when we have met all the other AIs. At this point we can discuss our strategy to get to this point and our plans for dealing with them.

Checkpoint 3 - when we are committed to a victory condition (or at least think we are).

Checkpoint 4 - Victory (or defeat).

The last words are to wish good luck to all :goodjob: . And let the games begin!

P.S We don't have any kind of problem with defeats and reruns. Just play and enjoy ;)

Attachments

• LHC XIX.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 321
After repeated failures in the last game, I'm going to try this one at normal speed Monarch level.

Marathon seems to give too much latitude to the AI's, they seem to trade more readily amongst themselves, and as a result can leave you out.

I've still got to try and finish the KK game. I think I played up till about 1200AD but wasn't doing to well. I will go back and finish it soonish ;) but fancy a try at this one. So Emp/Normal speed. Back at Checkpoint 1. Good Luck All. :)

I'm gonna give this one a shot. I'm still determined to eventually win one of these at emperor after failing the Augustus and KK game. Washington might be the one. The biggest problem in isolation is lack of resources, so you're limited by health and happiness. His two traits are perfect to solve this. +2 health and +2 happiness? Yay!

And his UU is just perfect for pulling off late game domination wins. Charismatic Seals are just beasts. March is an underrated promotion, and with it you can easily capture a city every single turn and completely devastate an opponent in a short time since your offensive is never slowed by needing to heal. The UB makes rushbuying efficient even if he's not a financial civ and also helps with happiness.

Signing in to play my favorite leader!

I'll go with emperor again because I want to eventually be able to consistently win at immortal, which means playing (and winning!) higher difficulties to improve. The KK LHC was kind of a back-door type victory, so maybe I'll win a tad more convincingly this go-around :ar15: :nuke:.

Emperor/Normal again for me too. I don't feel confident enough on Immortal to try a properly isolated start yet.

Checkpoint 1 - 150BC

Spoiler :

First thought whether to settle in place or not. The warrior in my start showed the FP to the North which would mean settling on the corn, after a bit of thought decided to settle in place. Initial builds were wb, worker, wb lighthouse, GLh. I might have whipped a granary at some point during the GLh build. One of the troubles with being isolated is keeping your research rate up while still rexing. So a coastal start to me screams for the Great Lighthouse. Initial techs went Myst,

That came in handy, sailing, mining, bw, pot. I noticed Judaism hadn't been founded so went Poly, Mono, Priest, Monarchy currently researching CoL. I've avoided hunting so I can keep building warriors for mp happies. I took a bit of a chance early on using warriors for defence but haven't lost any and now have a few axes running around so not expecting any problems from barbs now. There are some nice spots to settle on the island so I'm going to fill these spaces asap using Caste System Merchants and the GLh from keeping my economy from tanking.

Currently building a galley in the capital to make sure we are completely isolated. It looks like it but need to make certain. I've also had my first GP unsurprisingly a GM. I was tempted to bulb MC but decided to settle him instead. No reports of any GG being born yet ;) so we might have some peaceful Civs around besides us that is. :lol:

Nice event.

I had the vermin in the granary event. I usually pay the gold but in this case I thought I would pass.

How are we doing militarily.

My woody III warrior and C1,cover, shock warriors might have something to say about that. So HE is already opened. After CoL I'm going to go for Lit for the Epics and GLib if still open. Then going for Optics and try and meet the AI quickly. Have to see how quick I can do that. Also notice the hut to the left. I was waiting to finish Math before popping it hoping to get Currency or a good tech but ended up with a little bit of gold instead.

The Capital.

As long as I can keep it healthy it should grow to a good size with warriors for mp.

Finally the island. I might even have a go at dot mapping sometime. ;)

1st Checkpoint, Monarch/Normal (1800 BC):

Spoiler :
I see no reason not to settle in place with all those yummy resources. Since there are so many nice spaces to work, I start with a workboat to let the city grow. I'd love to be able to work all 3 food resources and get a nice jump on research. First techs will be Mining>BW because there are so many goshdarned forests.

I initially move my warrior a couple spaces south to explore, but seeing all the desert makes me think this is the wrong direction. Remember, the #1 goal of your initial exploration is to identify city site #2! At first, I'm thinking in terms of getting access to the 3rd clam along the shore, but then Washington's border pop makes it clear that that won't happen. Instead, I start moving the warrior NE to see if there's a site that can access those 2 flood plains along the coast.

The plains hill 3 to Washington's NE looks like a good spot to put that city, although it has to share 2 spaces with Washington, no big deal. The goody hut gives me Masonry, not bad. With 2 flood plains and a fish resource for that 2nd city, I decide I want to get it up and running ASAP.

Washington grows to size 2 and I notice the city governor wants to work the corn and one of the flood plains. That's best for growth, but it will take forever to get my workboat out at that rate. I switch to one of the forest tiles.

My warrior continues to explore along the coast and finds marble and a goody hut, which pops a Scout. This is starting to look like some great territory.

Even though marble is nice, I have to think carefully about what I want to build in terms of early Wonders. Washington's traits seem far better suited to REX than to wonderspam, and my basic philosophy is that early Wonders like the GLH, Colossus, etc. are better suited to compensating for a lousy start. If you have fertile territory with lots of resources, it's a shame to waste your time building Wonders when you could be expanding and covering all that terrain. I could maybe see myself building the Oracle once I settle marble, or building the Pyramids once I have a few cities up and running, but that will have to wait.

With 1 turn left on the workboat, I notice it only needs 1 more hammer, and I switch production from the forest tile back to the flood plains for faster growth. Not a big deal, but just the kind of easy micromanagement that I see no reason to neglect when you only have 1 or 2 cities.

It's time for a worker, but I wait until Washington grows to size 3. I get a 25% bonus on a worker for being Expansive, but I need at least 4 hammers for the bonus to kick in, and the game default is to work 3 food tiles. I switch one of the food tiles to the forested plains hill for maximum worker production. BW finishes, but I decide to wait until the worker is done to revolt since that means I'll at least be getting something done with the worker during the turn of anarchy. I could revolt now and whip the worker out, but I'm probably going to keep whipping light in Washington since I have such good tiles to work.

I'm about to revolt to slavery when I realize it's Turn 36 and Hinduism hasn't even been founded. Since I'm already researching Mysticism (can't go founding cities without monuments!) I decide I'll try to found Judaism and then revolt to slavery and OR at once.

Amazingly, on turn 45 I found Hinduism. Gosh, I guess I won't be seeing Izzy in this game. Well, I don't want to found too many religions in isolation, but I still want OR. I guess I might as well build the Oracle since no one else seems to care about it.

I found Judaism, making New York a double holy city (Wall Street baby!) and revolt to Slavery and OR. Washington can't grow past 6, so I build another worker there and then whip a settler. Meanwhile, New York builds a garrison warrior, although I'm really going to have to get archers up to deal with barbs soon.

So now, with my 3rd settler built... it's dot-mapping time!

Other than my crippling inability to draw a straight line, I'm having a little trouble with this dotmap as I try to figure out where another city should go in that open area on the east part of the island. There's plenty of worthless desert, but there's also some riverside tiles I'm not using, and I ultimately need to play to use every inch if I want to avoid interlopers. Here's a closer look at my cities so far:

Checkpoint 1.5

Emperor/Marathon

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

Spoiler :

Decided to settle in place. Popped Mining from our first hut. That's good.

Overall it's a very nice capital spot. Tons of food, good hammers, tons of riverside tiles. Coastal, but not too many water tiles.

Being charismatic I decided to go for stonehenge, easily chopped out with my two cheap expansive workers.

There's marble nearby, so I sent my first settler over to grab it. I was able to get the Temple of Artemis chopped. Surprised I was able to get it. The AI usually builds it amazingly early, which i can't understand since its so expensive. Also got the oracle. I teched to mathematics before, so I was able to get currency. I can't believe i managed that on emperor. Unfortunately I missed the great lighthouse by about 7 turns.

I had so much food that I was running two scientists early on, and my first GP was a scientist and not a priest, amazingly. I immediately made an academy in my capital.

Went for literature and easily got the great library after that. Also popped gold in my marble city. Very nice.

I got the great artist from music after i saw he was still available pretty late. Also built the Mauseleum, also pretty late.

Got lazy with the screenshots. But here's the island in full.

I started meeting the other civs. First Gilga, then Toku, then Monty, and then De Gaulle. All are Buddhist, so i'm definitely going buddhist. There's two left, and they've been fighting, as i've seen some GGs.

I got liberalism first. I popped a great scientist which i used to bulb liberalism. I traded education around and got pretty well caught up. I got astronomy as my free tech.

Tech situation isn't bad.

I can tell the last two civs are Shaka and Joao. Joao's been getting his ass kicked by Shaka. he's probably a vassal by now. But they're on a different island so they're definitely not Buddhist. So hopefully I can get the Buddhist warmongers against Shaka and keep them off my back.

My plan now is just peaceful development until I reach industrialism. Gonna try to get the electricity and radio wonders too.

Here's a view of my lands. I'm gonna plant 1 more crappy city to grab the whales.

Emperor/Normal; Checkpoint 2 (1080AD)

Spoiler :
The start looks pretty solid - stacks of food and a bit of production, plus forests for the chopping. I decided to work a 3:hammers: plains hill while building a WB to begin, and set research to mining.

3840BC - Hunting popped from a hut!

3760BC - Marble spotted in the east. Ooh...

3680BC - Mining > Bronze; WB complete in the capital, so I started on another, working an improved clam for now.

3640BC - Warrior pops barbs. Looks like scouting's over for now.

3440BC - Washington grows to size 2; continue WB2 working clams/forest plains hill.

3200BC - WB2 complete, so time to start on a worker. Although we're expansive, it seems better to build one working both improved clam tiles for the extra :commerce:

3120BC - Bronze > Mysticism. Being Cha and not Cre, getting Stonehenge mightn't be a bad idea. Hinduism was FIADL this turn - very late, which means there's only one religious civ out there.

Tech: Mysticism > Archery > Sailing > AH.

2200BC - Stonehenge complete!

Tech: AH > Masonry > Wheel > Pottery > Writing.

1200BC - Great Lighthouse complete!

Tech: Writing > Polytheism > Aesthetics > Literature.

825BC - Great Prophet born in Washington (settled); New York founded.

425BC - Boston founded; HE unlocked by roaming archer.

Tech: Literature > Priesthood > Iron Working > Metal Casting.

75AD - Great Library built in Washington.

200AD - Great Merchant born in Washington (settled).

275AD - Metal Casting > Compass.

300AD - Parthenon built in New York.

325AD - Great General BIADL!

Tech: Compass > Monarchy > Machinery > Optics > Maths

500AD - GS born in Washington > Academy.

700AD - GS born in Washington > Academy in New York.

920AD - GS born in Washington (sleeping).

1000AD - Maths > Calendar.

1030AD - Monty/De Gaulle met.

1050AD - Toku/Gilgamesh met (Toku is Gilga's vassal).

Everyone likes De Gaulle so I traded him Compass for Alphabet, bumping him up to "pleased" status.

1060AD - Calendar > CoL.

1070AD - Shaka (very backwards) met.

1080AD - GS born in Washington > 2xGS bulb Astronomy; Joao (Bachelor #6) met. He's on an island with Shaka and dead last in score, currently at war with the Zulu for the 2nd time.

The tech situation with all rivals met:

And the power of the Great Lighthouse in action:

America:

From here, the most logical step seems to be to beeline a military tech whilst assembling an army to go colonize Portugal/Zululand. Unlike previous LHC games, I don't think the starting island is good enough to grab a space win at this level, certainly not the way I've settled my cities. Gilgamesh and De Gaulle are both way up in score and get on well with each other, so I think I'll need more land to compete. However, I have done a decent job of specialization, getting HE built early in Boston and NE built early in Washington (only high-food spot). New York's a future Oxford city, while the others are fishing villages with a certain amount of whip/draft potential. On reflection I should have settled Atlanta 1NE on the hill to get the wheat as well, but I thought the site I picked had better long-term commerce potential; having seen the way the AI are split I should have set it up as a potential Globe city instead.

The main question is which military tech to beeline.

Attachments

• Lonely Washington AD-1080.CivBeyondSwordSave
    202.5 KB · Views: 169
Still havent wrapped up the KK game, having some trouble deciding how to tackle SB, heh. Maybe I will just consolidate and head to space in that one, I think I can do it now, with as many cities as I have.

This one looks cool. I like playing Roosevelt and Lincoln, but never tried Washington, so that will be nice.

Checkpoint 2 - 1180AD Met the Neighbours :)

Spoiler :

First off I started with some bad news.

I'm so used to getting the health from this event that it came as quite a shock when I lost population from it. :eek:

I've nearly settled all the island, just planning 1 more fishing village above Washington. Techs went for CoL then MC, IW, Machinery, Compass and Optics to try and meet the neighbours as early as possible. In hindsight I would have been better off saving some GSs to bulb Astro by avoiding paper. If I have to research it now it will take about 25 turns :(.

Relations. Joao and Shaka are at war, neither of them have a religion so planning on getting a Jewish Missionary there ASAP. De Gaulle is by far the points leader. On the plus side he is Buddhist with Gilga/Toku/Monte Hindu so the possibility of some bribing there but Monte is really small so unlikely to be any wars on that island. :sad:

Current Tech Situation.

Not to bad seeing as I was isolated. Unfortunately Shaka/Joao have nothing to trade me. Toku won't though I have gifted him a tech so he will stay cautious. De Gaulle is the leader so don't want to trade with him. Monte is annoyed with me for different religion and refusing to give him optics. So that only leaves Gilgamesh and I have nothing to trade him either. ;)

Current Demographics.

Where to go from here? I was trying to get Paper for the UoSankore but Tok has just built it. I was thinking of going for Lib but might go straight for Astro instead and use scientists for Education/Philo (hopefully I can trade for this). If I attack anyone in this game it is likely to be Shaka first but that is a long, long way away. I do fancy going for a domination victory though. Have to see how things stand in a few hundred years. :)

Being that Washington is my favorite leader of all time, and actually one of my favorite leaders to play I'll give this a try. Especially since I cna play as a scenario and play marathon speed.

Checkpoint 2, 1010 AD (continent fully settled):

Spoiler :

Since I was fortunate enough to found 2 early religions without even trying, I'm going to go for a cultural victory. I was able to build a number of Wonders with my strong early economy; the only one I was disappointed to lose out on was HG for the health bonus. Still, with a continent this strong in resources and 3 religions so far, it seems like cultural victory should be pretty easy, barring a nasty discovery upon making first contact. We'll see.

Checkpoint 1

Spoiler :

Playing at marathon speed, emperor difficulty

Went agressively at the Great Wall which we successfully built. Planning to keep just warrios for now unless we need to visit some native villages :trouble::trouble::trouble::trouble:

After I mapped the continent via warrior and workboat

Planned city settling.

Planning to run several scientists to try a dilute out the GSpy points iof possible. Planning to build Academy if first GP is a scientist, and scottland yard if a Spy.

I'm trying to decide who to attack. Civ A and Civ B are both about the same size, with about 27% of the land each. Civ A is about the same technologically as me, he has industrialism. Plus a few techs I don't have, but i have some he doesn't have, so we're about even. And he's friendly towards me.

Civ B is about the same size, but backwards. He only has rifles and is annoyed with me. I'm not sure who to attack first.

Civ B will be easier to take down, but while i'm busy taking him down, Civ A will keep progressing. I doubt he'd get to mech infantry before i won, but that's a risk. I could probably get to 65% land without ever attacking Civ A, but it's no guarantee, especially since he has a vassal. And while taking Civ A down would be tougher, doing it would ensure a victory as i'd be ahead of everyone else.

Checkpoint 2

Spoiler :

Met all 6 AIs.

Gilgamesh/Monty are the most advanced.

Degaulle/Joao/Shaka are way behind.

Toku was a vassal of Gilgamesh but broke away so he's OK in tech.

Monty will NOT DoW on Gilg becaus ehe's afraid of his military.

We are doing well, looking to found christianity @ 700AD :eek:

Got alot of wonders including GLibrary/Colossus/ToA/GWall

Used a GS to bulb half of astronomy and about 15 turns from a second GS to finish bulbing it to open foreign trade routes.

Screenshot of techs.

Spoiler :

Dang, forgot that Theology opens up paper, so I could not finish the astronomy bulb! :gripe:

Checkpoint #3

Spoiler :

Pleased with Gilgamesh

Shaka way behind and destroyed Joao

Toku doing decent in tech.

Monty falling behind

Monty hates both DeGaulle and Toke.

Won liberalism race. Spamming Privateers. Looking for a space win while maintaining naval superiority. We shall see.

Top Bottom