[BtS] JRouteNative: Restricted Movement

Jeckel

Great Reverend
!! RELEASED !! - July 26, 2008
!! NEW VERSION !! - August 23, 2008

Requires: Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword v3.17

This mod addes a new tag to UnitInfos XML file that allows you to set a UnitInfo to require a specific Route for its movement. As an example, the Chariot Unit has been set to require Roads to move. UnitInfos can be set to use multiple types of Routes, ie Roads or Railroads. Conversly, another new will allow you to set individual Routes as making a Tile Impassable. As an example, the Chariot Unit has the Railroad Route set as Impassable.

Two other new tags are added to the UnitInfos XML. One allows UnitInfos to be set to Ignore specific RouteTypes, gaining no movement bonus from their presense in a Tile. As an example, the Settler Unit is set to Ignore Railroads. The other new tag allows a UnitInfo to switch the movement bonus of one Route Type to another, ie make Railroads give only the Road movement bonus. As an example, the Warrior Unit is set to only get Road movement bonus when traveling on Railroads.

Requires: Beyond the Sword v3.17
Changes: XML, SDK
Version: 1.101 - Released August 23, 2008
Download: JRouteNative Mod
Sources: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10138

Some Screen Shots.

Attachments

• JRouteNative_CanMoveRoute.JPG
    JRouteNative_CanMoveRoute.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 659
  • JRouteNative_CanNotMoveRoute.JPG
    JRouteNative_CanNotMoveRoute.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 657
Don't know, anybody got a link to that mod?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

I haven't looked at the code to see if we implement it differently, but the effect of the mods are the same. His seems to not have been updated to BtS 3.17 and includes Bhruic's Unofficial Patch mod.

Zebra 9 also has a Python mod that accomplishes the same effect.

I have to use my phone to make some calls, but when I get back online I'll upload the mod and the sources.

This is a cool idea! It reminds me of one of the older civs where the units would turn into a "train" unit when using the railroads. Not quite the same thing but anyway. :goodjob:

It would be interesting if the same thing could be done with rivers, then you could have a canoe type unit that could quickly transport your army down rivers into enemy territory.

Looks great! This opens up possibilities for various rail units, like

1) Troop train - for transporting military units quickly over rails
2) Armoured train - a heavy tank-like unit but which is restricted to rails
3) Rail artillery - very heavy artillery confined to rails

I wonder if somebody could make these units!

Looks great! This opens up possibilities for various rail units, like

1) Troop train - for transporting military units quickly over rails
2) Armoured train - a heavy tank-like unit but which is restricted to rails
3) Rail artillery - very heavy artillery confined to rails

I wonder if somebody could make these units!

I've started to work on panzer train that can carry troops. All I need is some graphics...

This is a cool idea! It reminds me of one of the older civs where the units would turn into a "train" unit when using the railroads. Not quite the same thing but anyway. :goodjob:
A Train mod I'm working on is why I cloned the FeatureNative tags to make this mod. If I could ever get a graphic for the modern train unit I would release the whole mod. I think I'll bump that thread again...

It would be interesting if the same thing could be done with rivers, then you could have a canoe type unit that could quickly transport your army down rivers into enemy territory.

If only they had made rivers a route like roads and railroads it would be real easy, but since they are between plots it makes it alot harder.

Hey great! This is the third such mod. But, one of the things I would love is slightly different. I have a post-apocalyptic mod where there are some ruined highways. I have re-used railroad for this with modern highway graphics. The problem is that both foot units and vehicle units get the fast movement rate. I would like to have foot units get *normal road* movement rate on highways, and have only vehicles get the really fast movement.

Neither of the existing mods (zroute and the previous python one) allow this. Since you are actively working on this one, is it possible to add the type of tag I suggest? I would like foot units to move at road rate on railroads -- not normal terrain rate, but not railroad rate either.

A Train mod I'm working on is why I cloned the FeatureNative tags to make this mod. If I could ever get a graphic for the modern train unit I would release the whole mod. I think I'll bump that thread again...

Do you have a link to the thread?

Hey great! This is the third such mod. But, one of the things I would love is slightly different. I have a post-apocalyptic mod where there are some ruined highways. I have re-used railroad for this with modern highway graphics. The problem is that both foot units and vehicle units get the fast movement rate. I would like to have foot units get *normal road* movement rate on highways, and have only vehicles get the really fast movement.

Neither of the existing mods (zroute and the previous python one) allow this. Since you are actively working on this one, is it possible to add the type of tag I suggest? I would like foot units to move at road rate on railroads -- not normal terrain rate, but not railroad rate either.

As I said, this is coming from a train mod, so I have also thought of removing extra movment for Railroads from some units. I haven't figured out the best way to do this yet, but I am looking into it.

Give me a couple days and if I don't post something up here just poke me incase I forget to post what I find. :cool:

Would the AI know how to use the train units to transport other units? As far as I know, people had difficulties getting the AI to use land transport units.

Would the AI know how to use the train units to transport other units? As far as I know, people had difficulties getting the AI to use land transport units.

Correct, the last I heard, the AI has no idea how to use Units to transport other Units across land.

Teaching the AI to use my trains is one thing I still in the process of finishing. I'm not teaching them to use the train to move units, but what I'm doing might be part of the equation.

Good luck, Jeckel! Sounds like a great project. I'll be following this with interest. I have always felt that the way railways are represented in Civ is quite unrealistic.

Ok, I've looked into this a little.

I think I have figured out how to implement what you are suggesting.

I'm planning a new tag like this..
Code:
<SubstituteRoutes>
	<SubstituteRoute>
		<RouteType>ROUTE_RAILROAD</RouteType>
		<SubstituteRouteType>ROUTE_ROAD</SubstituteRouteType>
	</SubstituteRoute>
</SubstituteRoutes>
..and then units with this tag set would move at Road rate on Railroads.

I'm also planning another tag..
Code:
<IgnoreRoutes>
	<IgnoreRoute>
		<RouteType>ROUTE_RAILROAD</RouteType>
		<bIgnoreRoute>1</bIgnoreRoute>
	</IgnoreRoute>
</IgnoreRoutes>
..that will cause the unit to get no movement bonus from the tagged Routes.

I am finishing up another modcomp at the moment and will see if I can get to this some time this weekend. :king:

Top Bottom