Fox-40: Island Immortality (OCC-AW)

GreyFox

Make it so ...
Back by "popular" demand, the jokes rages on.

Since we would be removing our settler and creating a new island somewhere, that opens up an empty space in the map, so I started us off with one additional AI civ.

As discussed (privately among Mysty and Ricardo ;)), we are DeGaulle.

This is the original starting location.

I removed our settler and warrior, and created an island in the inland sea, with exactly the same number of trees and hills. Resources that appeared within 3.5 tiles radius are also replicated, with the exception of one or two land-based health resources swapped with seafood.

As I'd created the map, the honor of starting falls to the next man.

Roster
-- GreyFox
>> Mystyfly == UP
-- R_rolo1
-- Imhotep
-- Berserks01
-- Ozbenno

Play somewhere between 15-30 turns for the first round, stopping as usual at logical decision point (research/build). And as tradition demands, include with your turnset report a joke :D.

-

:salute:

Woot, finally another OCC-AW :woohoo:

That surely was a huge starting location :eek:

And we need to post jokes...? Well, gotta try to remember one then...

Plan on playing tomorrow.

edit: worker first, AH > mining > BW seems the way to go.

Surprised no one caught my joke ... :rolleyes:

Plan on playing tomorrow.

And I would think having the save will be a necessary first step to your plan ...

I think since we would in all likelihood working on the corn first ... it doesn't matter Mining or AH first. We would have completed either before the worker is out, completed both by the time the worker finishes the farm.

Another possibility is to build something else first and let the city grow to two. Then we can work on both corn and pig when producing worker, cutting the worker time by 1/3. Not sure which is superior ... I think worker first might still be more superior.

--

Attachments

• Fox-40-BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    21 KB · Views: 233

What? Not putting in the save or claiming this was back by popular demand ;) :lol:

You're probably right about the farm/mine/pasture debate in that it doesn't matter which order the AH/Min are researched but still think we should work the mine and farm at size 2.

What about longer term plans. We are charismatic, which is pretty decent for the easier promotions and extra population but industrious is a wash unless we plan to build many wonders, tricky on Immortal. I assume we're aiming up at Pyramids but do we want to try a Stonehenge, Oracle or Great Wall before that (an early merged Great Spy could be useful later or Oracle --> Metal Casing --> Colossus)?

Playing Inland Sea, the AI aren't isolated from each other like they were on the Archipelago so they can grow and tech faster and will move into areas we destroy very quickly.

Do we try and start the attacking early with maces and trebs or wait for cannons and rifles/grens. Do we hide away completely until discovered, hoping for some Ai/Ai action?

What about our National Wonders? Globe/National Epic/Oxford seem given, National park and Heroic Epic would be good, Iron Works if we have iron and coal, even Moai, Mt Rushmore and West Points have their advantages.

Our cap has so many nice tiles it's a waste to go warrior first.

I see no sense in building the GW.

We'll have marble somewhere but no stone.

Wonders I'd go for: GL and mids. Other nice wonders are ToA, oracle and henge.

Maybe we can try for the henge but not sacrifice forests for it?

I don't think we can build mids and Oracle/ToA and I'm sure we all want one of them more badly.

National wonders: We don't have many forests and from the looks of it we have plenty of health. I'd probabely build GT + NE + HE + IW + OX.

On Wonders

I think we want pyramids at all costs. Next nice wonder is GLib. The other one is Oracle, though that will be tricky. A third wonder we want will be colossus or hanging gardens.

Can try for is stonehenge, and great wall. Both are nice to have, but not crucial.

The rest are denial purposes only. ToA, Glighthouse, etc.

On Nat Wonders
Not sure we would have enough health. I wouldn't shrug NP off that easily. What we definitely want is GT, and OX. The rest are up to debate.

On Isolating vs Early War
It might not be easy to hide. An AI which build a coastal city with sufficient culture would discover us pretty early. And I agree the AI will tech fats with Inland sea, although I have turned off tech trading, they still have the advantage of earlier trade routes between themselves. That's the reason why I turned on Raging Barbs to slow them a bit.

--

OK

Lots will have to be discussed (later) and is depending on the AIs. We should only play short sets even if they're pretty boring, so we can discuss what to do.

Will play later today.

Played only 20 turns. Probabely due to my limited OCC experience and to discuss the techpath which is crucial.

Settled in place..

Started with worker / AH

(19)
AH > Mining

---

Our island:

So we'll get marble with the second border pop. Also we'll have fish.

We need some wonder to keep paris busy. I suggest teching Mysticism right after mining. Our worker will be busy for some more turns.

Then we can tech Masonry > BW > wheel or so - discuss :goodjob:

Don't hook up metals yet when we get it, we can build warriors for cheap :).

Roster:
GreyFox
mystyfly - just played
r_rolo1 - UP NOW
Imhotep - on deck
Berserks01
Ozbenno

View attachment Fox-40 3500 av. J-C..CivBeyondSwordSave

Dang, I completely forgot my joke. Well, in general, don't expect much from me...

Spoiler :
In their holidays, Mr. and Mrs. Müller decide to go to the south to escape the rather cold temperatures at home. Unfortounately, Mrs. Müller could only leave a day later as she still was busy. He already travels to their hotel. He then sends his wife an EMail:

---
To: My wife, left behind
Subject: Travel was pleasnt

Honey,
I just arrived. I'm fine, everything's ready for your arrival. Wish you a nice travel and expect you tomorrow.
In love, your husband

PS damn hot down here!
---

Unfortounately, Mr. Müller mistyped the email adress. So the EMail didn't reach his beloved wife but a widow who just recently lost her husband...

PS translated from german to engnlish by Me. Will never do that again. Next time I'll try to find a joke that already is written in english and simply copy + paste ;)

@mystfly: i think the joke was pretty funny. I even thought about translating it unto german to see if i missed some point making it even better, but decided that it probably wouldn't be worthwhile with my german skills.

@NoChildren: THX :)

I changed some things a bit or used slightly other words in english.
Original, german version:
Spoiler :
Ein Ehepaar beschließt dem Winter in Deutschland zu entfliehen und bucht eine Woche Südsee. Leider kann die Frau aus beruflichen Gründen erst einen Tag später als ihr Mann fliegen. Der Ehemann fährt wie geplant. Dort angekommen bezieht er sein Hotelzimmer und schickt seiner Frau per Laptop sogleich eine Mail. Blöderweise hat er sich beim Eingeben der E-Mail-Adresse vertippt und einen Buchstaben vertauscht. So landet die E-Mail bei einer Witwe, die gerade von der Beerdigung ihres Mannes kommt und gerade die Beileidsbekundungen per E-Mail abruft. Als ihr Sohn das Zimmer betritt, sieht er seine Mutter bewußtlos zusammensinken. Sein Blick fällt auf den Bildschirm, wo steht:

AN: meine zurückgebliebene Frau
VON: Deinem vorgereisten Gatten
BETREFF: Bin gut angekommen.

Liebste, bin soeben angekommen. Habe mich hier bereits eingelebt und sehe, dass für Deine Ankunft alles schon vorbereitet ist. Wünsche Dir eine gute Reise und erwarte Dich morgen. In Liebe, Dein Mann.

PS: Verdammt heiß hier unten!

--

lurker's comment: Haven't looked at the save, but ... The joke might have been the oil (invisible in the first location) that has been world-built onto the island ... and likely on land given the grousing that came in the last game when whoever added the oil put it off-shore.

Even if you don't leave any forests in the BFC you should consider at what point each pop will consume 3 food (essentially) if you don't build the National Park. Health is ugly in the Industrial Age ...

Interesting choice of leader. I'm trying an OCC-Conquest on a Pangaea and chose Lincoln over DeGaulle as I felt Seals >>> Musketeers and the Salon being counter-productive (No, I don't want any free Artist points ... ). The Shopping Mall is a mediocre UB for a lot of purposes but adding a free 20% gold to settled Merchants and Prophets makes it easier to support a large army. I guess it all depends on how confident you are about building the Pyramids without being Industrious (and without Stone). Something to consider in case you forgot the oil ...

mystyfly said:
We need some wonder to keep paris busy. I suggest teching Mysticism right after mining. Our worker will be busy for some more turns.

Then we can tech Masonry > BW > wheel or so - discuss
I think we don't need fishing early as we have more than enought food to easily grow to :) cap. BW not that urgent too as we don't need to get copper early and chopping is very limited anyway.

Ohhh, another OCC game! Eggcellent! (*Brings the popcorn and the comfy lurker's chair*)

Some random thoughts:
  1. Those log entries in French when playing as France are quite fitting! :lol:
  2. With only two grassland hills (3H each), a silver mine (2H), a plains horse (4H) and the odd forest, production is going to be rather mediocre at the happy cap. If you want to try for the 'mids, you better start cracking as soon as possible. I suck at MM math, but you're probably looking at 15 H/turn production total, so 30 H/turn for a wonder, which equals 25 turns of build time without chopping. Actually, that's not too bad, come to think of it. Hmm... I smell a rat somewhere.
  3. You'll never be able to chain irrigate the grass tile W of the pigs, so better keep the forest in place. In order to retain at least a +1 health bonus, keep another forest intact as well (I'd suggest the plains tile).
  4. Why are you getting a +1 happy bonus, marked as "OH YEAH!"? Because you're charismatic... I'm a noob.
  5. Moai Statues were probably not worth it last time around, and are definitely the wrong choice in this game, as they'll yield only 5H extra (and only when working all the water tiles, which would be an unlikely scenario).
Oh, and good luck! May the bad farce be with you!

Your rat is here...
I suck at MM math, but you're probably looking at 15 H/turn production total, so 30 H/turn for a wonder, which equals 25 turns of build time without chopping.
+ 50% != 2X ...... instead of 15*2 it is floor(15*(1+0,5) ) = 22 H

Ah, yes, that's a pretty big rat... :D Still, I'd say the 'mids are worth it, unless you like fighting tanks with spears (which is an entirely valid proposition in this game, of course).

Top Bottom