[MODCOMP] Extended Random Events

Headlock

Nomnomnomnom

VERSION 1.0 RELEASED

NEWS: UPDATE COMING! - FOCUS ON SENATE EVENTS

This is a modcomp providing a continually expanded set of extra events that can be added to your Civ IV game.

The majority of events are straightforward xml based, with some python thrown into the mix. Some are based on existing events, with a different slant; a few are historical references, and some are just for fun :).

These were worked up by me, and are 100% free to use. I only ask that you give credit where it is due. (Thank you, Firaxis :D )

If you want to suggest ideas please feel free to do so. I use JDog 5000's Revolution mod, the best there is!

The Download page has installation instructions, etc.

Regards,
HDK

Current Version: 1.0
Release Date: 3rd Oct. '08

Military Events
Spoiler FUEL ACCIDENT :
Text:
"A re-fuelling accident on the flight deck one of our aircraft carriers has gone horribly wrong - the fire spread to an ammunition store, which exploded and sank the vessel!"

Req:
Tech - Flight
Civic - none
Units - min. 5 Carriers total
& ocean/coast within territory

1) Idiots..... The carrier is lost, with all hands (i.e any planes as well)

Domestic Events
Spoiler SENATE IN REBELLION :
Text:
"The Senate is appalled at the conduct of the war with the (Enemy Civ). Should we heed their calls for a ceasefire?"

Req:
Tech - Constitution
Civic - Universal Suffrage
Units - 20 units Infantry
& at war for min. of 10 turns

1) Hmm, we could do with a pause... Peace Treaty, +1:) at home, +1 Attitude with opponent
2) Continue the war!... War continues, +3:mad: at home.

Spoiler POLITICAL RIOTS :
Text:
"A political demonstration in (Our City) has been violently suppressed by our Cavalry. There have been several deaths and hundreds of wounded."

Req:
Tech - Constitution (obsolete with Assembly Line)
Civic - Representation
Units - 1 x Cavalry in City
& +2:mad: in City

1) That serves the rabble-rousers right!... +3:mad:, All Cavalry get Shock Promotion
2) My goodness! Do, send our condolences... -150:gold:, +1:) to Grocer, City Revolt for 2 turns

Spoiler GREAT FIRE :
Text:
"A small fire in a bakery has spread and developed into firestorm of unprecedented ferocity in (Our Capital). The scale of the damage is catastrophic!"

Req:
Tech - Constitution (obsolete with Electricity)
Civic - Hereditary Rule
Buildings - Palace, Granary, Christian Cathedral
& +5:yuck:

(No choices: result dependent on size of city - if 6 or less, then it is wiped out; this event has v.low probability.)

1) Our capital has been destroyed!... Capital city is wiped out, razed to the ground. Good luck...
2) The damage is severe, but... -5 pop., c.5 buildings destroyed

Economic Events
Spoiler EFFICIENCY DRIVE :
Text:
"Our economists have some very interesting theories on how to make our economy much more efficient. They are divided though, about which areas to focus on."

Req:
Tech - Industrialism, Combustion
Civic - Free Market
Buildings - 6 x Factories
Bonus - Oil
& +600:gold:

1) Money is power. More money, more power.... -250:gold:, +3:commerce: to Bank,
2) Production is king.... -350:gold:, +5:hammers: to Factory
3) A sound body gives a sound mind... -500:gold:, +2:health: to Factory, +1 Scientist, +1:)x10 turns

Cultural Events
Spoiler IGNORANT HOOLIGAN :
Text:
"The Taj Mahal, in (Our City), is burning to the ground due to an random act of arson by an ignorant local hooligan!"

Req:
Tech - none (obsolete with Chemistry)
Civic - none
Buildings - Taj Mahal
& +1000:gold:

1) You cannot be serious. No, really... Taj Mahal is destroyed.
2) Rebuild the Taj Mahal, & purge the city of 'hooligans'... -950:gold:, -1 pop., Taj Mahal is rebuilt

Environmental Events
Spoiler SWARMING FISH :
Text:
"Enterprising local fishermen have located a new swarming site for a valuable species of fish off our coast!"

Req:
Tech - Optics
Civic - none
Buildings - none
& ocean/coast within territory

1) Woohoo!... 1 x Fish bonus revealed

Spoiler EARTHQUAKE :
Text:
"A large earthquake has rocked (Our City). There is widespread damage and loss of life in the surrounding countryside."

Req:
Tech - none
Civic - none
Buildings - none
& is recurring

1) Ah crap... nearby improvements are destroyed.

Credits: Jdog5000, Solver, jkp1187
To Do: Add more events I have lying around; translation of all events to French/German/Spanish (help!), Add quests.

Also, I am investigating the possibility of regular Elections (ie recurring events) when using the Representation & Universal Suffrage civics.

DOWNLOAD

Possible Event Ideas:

Spoiler PIPER ALPHA :
Outline
An oil-rig is destroyed due to a fire. Unlike the real Piper Alpha tragedy, this event would remove the Oil bonus as well.
- DONE!

Spoiler EAST INDIES TRADING COMPANIES :
Outline
(I'll use my fav civ for reference:) )
1) The event will create a building, Dutch East Indies Trading Company HQ in a city.
2) This will create a galleon every say, 5-15 turns. This ship cannot carry any cargo, pillage, bombard or attack. It CAN create a Trade mission a la a Great Merchant, to max value of say, 400-800:gold:
3) The building will become obsolete with say Economics, OR if the HQ is destroyed.
AWKWARD - WILL REQUIRE PYTHON TO LIMIT BUILDING TO EVENT ONLY.

Spoiler HANSEATIC LEAGUE :
Outline
Germans Only. QUEST.
REQUIRES: Mercantilism, Compass, Guilds
MUST: Build 6+ Harbours, 6+Grocers, 6+ Caravels
RESULT 1): +50% trade route value
RESULT 2): if still in Mercantilism, +1 Trade Route per coastal city, +100% Trade route value
- DONE!

Spoiler DIRTY WATER :
Outline
Engineers have inspected an Aqueduct in(Our City) and found it unfit for purpose. It must be cleaned & repaired. The city will have limited water while this is done. (+4:yuck: in City for 3 turns)
- DONE!

Spoiler DOCKYARD EXPLOSION :
Outline
A massive explosion has sunk a Military Transport during routine loading of ammunition and supplies, with serious damage to the surrounding city and harbour. -3 Population, Transport is lost and Drydock, Harbour destroyed.
- DONE!

Spoiler MADAGASCAR :
Outline
Wild animals have escaped from the zoo! (3-5 animals spawned around city)
- DONE!

Spoiler The Heat :
Outline
A criminal gang has stolen (c.100-500:gold:) with a daring raid on the Bank in (Our City)! (Must have no Jail in that City)

Spoiler You SO Funny :
Outline
A comedian has parodied some foreign ambassadors to great effect. While the local populace find this hilarious, the Civilization concerned is deeply insulted. (+1:) in Capital temporarily, -1 Attitude with certain Civ.)
- DONE!

Spoiler *'Tis MY land :
Outline
"A local landowner has prodcued a high-yield breed of local grain."
+1 :food: from wheat in that city

Spoiler *Little Swots :
Outline
English people cannot get enough of the printed word."
+1 science from library, +1 :)

Spoiler *Un-Friendly Fire :
Outline
"Your jet fighters have mistaken some of your allies units for enemy troops" (several allied units killed, -1 Attitude with ally/vassel)

Spoiler *Friends Like These... :
Outline
"A radical cleric in your [religion temple] is radicalising support for [your government/rebels against your governement]"
1-2 infantry produced every turn, either for (if in Civic State Religion/Theocracy) or against you (if in Free Religion).

Spoiler State Examinations :
Outline
"Forward thinking Government bureaucrats have instituted a system of Exams in order to become a Civil Servant. This should markedly increase our efficiency."
(-30% Maintenance per City)

Spoiler Royal Marines :
Outline
"Our Admirals wish to train and equip a special force of "Maritime Foot Soldiers" to augment the crews of our warships"."
(All Frigates & Ships of Line get +Drill 1)
- DONE!

-----------------------------------------
SENATE EVENTS
A collection of events (developed from the Senate In Rebellion event, above) tied to Universal Suffrage to represent the meddlesome and fickle nature of a Senate.

Spoiler Pro War Senate :
Outline
SENATE PRO WAR 1 - GIVE MONEY
SENATE PRO WAR 2 - GIVE TROOPS OR ESPIONAGE POINTS
SENATE PRO WAR 3 - CONVINCE POP. OF JUST CAUSE (+1 HAPPY)
SENATE PRO WAR 4 - MONEY TO UPGRADE BARRACKS (EXTRA PROMOTION)
SENATE PRO WAR 5 - EMPHASIS ON FLEET (PROMO_TACTICS TO FRIGATES)
SENATE PRO WAR 6 - REQUISITION MERCHANTMEN (FREE GALLEONS)
SENATE PRO WAR 7 - REQUISITION MERCHANTMEN (FREE TRANSPORTS)
SENATE PRO WAR 8 - DEMAND AGGRESSIVE TACTICS (NO PRISONERS -2diplo WITH ENEMY, AND -1 Diplo WITH EVERYONE ELSE)
SENATE PRO WAR 9- NATIONAL MILITIA (FREE SUPPORT FOR 10 UNITS, OR IMMEDIATE FORCE OF 6 GRENADIERS)
- DONE!

Spoiler ANTI War Senate :
Outline
SENATE ANTI WAR 1 - END WAR
SENATE ANTI WAR 2 - RESTRICT MONEY (LOSE # TROOPS)
SENATE ANTI WAR 3 - STALL NON-WAR LEGISLATION (+1 ANGRY, +1UNHEALTHY)
SENATE ANTI WAR 4 - TRAITORS IN SENATE (LOSE A horsehockyLOAD OF TROOPS)
SENATE ANTI WAR 5 - PEACENIKS (INCREASE WAR WEARINESS)
SENATE ANTI WAR 6 - PEACE OVERTURES (+1Diplo WITH ENEMY)
SENATE ANTI WAR 7 - FASCISTS IN MAJORITY (SWITCH TO POLICE STATE, +2 ANGRY)
SENATE ANTI WAR 8 - PACIFISTS IN MAJORITY (SWITCH TO PACIFISM)
SENATE ANTI WAR 9 - REMOVE CABINET (INFLATION SPIKE, +1 UNHEALTHY, +1 ANGRY)
SENATE ANTI WAR 10 - IMPEACHMENT ATTEMPT (END WAR, or FREEZE TROOPS, +1 ANGRY,+1 TURN REVOLT)
- To do.

*Ideas from my comrade, PopeGuyIncognito

Traditionally, the deaths from the Great Fire of London were thought to be pretty low. We were quoted 5 at school, although that's somewhat contentious as the deaths of the poor were probably less likely to be recorded than those of the rich, and some of the corpses may have been completely cremated, but nonetheless I doubt that -5 POP is a realistic interpretation.

Furthermore a -5 POP hit in a capital is likely to serious affect the game for whichever Civ suffers it. -1 POP and lose a random (non-Wonder) building ought to be serious enough. It also wipe out any plague that the Civ might be labouring under.

Traditionally, the deaths from the Great Fire of London were thought to be pretty low. We were quoted 5 at school, although that's somewhat contentious as the deaths of the poor were probably less likely to be recorded than those of the rich, and some of the corpses may have been completely cremated, but nonetheless I doubt that -5 POP is a realistic interpretation.

Furthermore a -5 POP hit in a capital is likely to serious affect the game for whichever Civ suffers it. -1 POP and lose a random (non-Wonder) building ought to be serious enough. It also wipe out any plague that the Civ might be labouring under.

Hmm, the -5 is a Bit high maybe- but its the same as the Tsunami event....

I might drop it to -4, which from a 8+pop city is still quite recoverable.

Thanks,
HDK

Great Job! Not only for the events but you made them really easy to merge into mods.

I'm always looking to add more events to my mod (try to make new ones with every version).

I like these because some of them actually do have sever penalties which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing. The game is always like look out for bad events of your neighbors it's like a good event for you, for what, a road being destroyed and they had to pay 10 gold? I like these.

Good to hear:)

Yah Im trying to strike a balance- a good few fairly unobtrusive events, a majority of interesting, usefull ones, and then some reare but really WHAM-BAM events that make you go 'Woahhhhh!"

So, enjoy:) Any and all feedback is welcome.

Regards,
HDK

Wow, really cool ideas here.

I would absolutely hate this one:

Spoiler :
"A small fire in a bakery has spread and developed into firestorm of unprecedented ferocity in (Our Capital). The scale of the damage is catastrophic!"

Req:
Civic - Hereditary Rule
& +5

(No choices: result dependent on size of city - if 6 or less, then it is wiped out; this event has v.low probability.)

1) Our capital has been destroyed!... Capital city is wiped out, razed to the ground. Good luck...
2) The damage is severe, but... -5 pop., c.5 buildings destroyed.

It probably wouldn't wipe out my capital as it would be larger than size 6 by the time i get constitution, but still, 5 pop and 5 buildings is harsh. I suppose I will just have to stay away from Christianity with this. :satan:

Also the Taj Mahal one is good because if you can't afford the price then it doesn't matter so much if you lose it because it just produces culture after the golden age bonus. It still hurts though. :)

Again, really creative, awesome ideas here, I'm a bit afraid to install it though. :p

The Eventriggers calls for EVENT_GREAT_FIRE_3 which doesn't exist (in event infos). Can I just delete this from the Eventriggers or is there supposed to be an great fire 3

The Eventriggers calls for EVENT_GREAT_FIRE_3 which doesn't exist (in event infos). Can I just delete this from the Eventriggers or is there supposed to be an great fire 3

ahah! 1st bug! :yuck: :)
well done, fixed now.

yes, event_3 is obsolete in triggers. Nice work.

HDK

could someone please give a more detailed installation procedure?im lost as to where exactily im suppose to put these. and how im suppose to add them without overwriting something?

could someone please give a more detailed installation procedure?im lost as to where exactily im suppose to put these. and how im suppose to add them without overwriting something?

I presume you have read the Installation notes on the download page?

4) Copy/paste the contents of the various downloaded files into the ends of the same files in the Events, Text & Entrypoints folders of your installation.

Which part is unclear?

HDK

Spoiler GREAT FIRE :
Text:

Req:
Civic - Hereditary Rule
& +5:yuck:

2) The damage is severe, but... -5 pop., c.5 buildings destroyed
I'm not entirely sure but this event might lead to situation where the game crashes after this event has happened. It was mentioned somewhere on these forums that if player doesn't have capital (ie. Palace) and then uses Spy to conduct spy mission and if the mission is successfull the Spy is returned to your capital but since the player doesn't have Capital/Palace at the moment as a result of this event, it leads to game crash. So just to be sure, I think you should test this kind of situation...

I like those new events you've made and think I'll add them to my mod Rise of Mankind. I made 28 new events for RoM's latest version and was planning to add some more for the next version. :)

1)
I'm not entirely sure but this event might lead to situation where the game crashes after this event has happened.

Hmmmm...good point. But doesn't the game automatically place a replacement in an applicable city? But i think you're saying this would cause a crash in the same turn- ie, the capital is razed, the palace is destroyed; in the same turn you doa a spy mission, who has nowhere to return to, so the game goes belly up. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................thanks for the note!

2)
I don't know if this is possible to be included but, I had an idea for some resources to appear randomly if you've traded with a foreign Civ .
Good idea! Theres a mod called Tech Diffusion- its where you gain subtle additions to your research for a tech if you are in good relations with a civ that has that Tech already. In terms of Random Events, it should be possible to python it in a similar fashion. A good idea, although will have to wait until i actually know some python! :) Thanks!

HDK
28 events eh? must have a look....

I was wondering about this for the Dutch Trading Company:

"AWKWARD - WILL REQUIRE PYTHON TO LIMIT BUILDING TO EVENT ONLY."

Can't you just use

Code:
<Building>
	<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_DUTCH_TRADING_COMPANY</BuildingClassType>
	<BuildingType>NONE</BuildingType>
</Building>

for every civ in Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml?

or simpler: just set the cost of the building to -1, which means it cant be built. then make the event build the building.

Anyone still working these?

I was thinking of one:

Spoiler :

FINANCIAL_CRISIS

requires:Civic_Free_Market
requires: WallStreet
requires min # of banks for wallstreet

Uh-oh. Looks like the financial sector has engaged in some risky practices and are calling for help!

1) TXT_PAULSON: They are too big to fail! ----> -30% of treasury, +2 happy per bank
2) TXT_RON_PAUL: T.S.! That's capitalism! ---> WallStreet destroyed, 2/3rd of banks destroyed

another one:

Spoiler :

PEACEKEEPING

Villagers outside of city X are suffering from the war between Y and Z!

requires:United Nations built
requires Mass Media

1) bummer, but war is hell! (refuse quest)
2) This is needless suffering (accept quest)

----> This quest should work like greed. you have to send troops to a specific square. When you do so you get happiness points. This would also trigger war with both parties (I think) since civ doesn't allow for units not to enter certain squares or let you protect them in either way.
Reward--> happiness in each city +1, +2 for each broadcast tower, +2 boost diplomacy from all countries but y, z

probably a modified version could use religions etc.

I like that first event, Ekmek, but instead of losing all those banks, maybe instead it can be -2 gold, commerce or happiness per bank.

Aussie_Lurker.

I like the peacekeeping event, but the bank event?
I would never let my wall street destroyed- you can't rebuild it (can you?)
I think the second choice should defintely be changed.

I like the peacekeeping event, but the bank event?
I would never let my wall street destroyed- you can't rebuild it (can you?)
I think the second choice should defintely be changed.

You can rebuild National Wonders if they get destroyed.

Actually, if you're on team you can cheat by trading a city to someone. All national wonders immediately get erased so when it's traded back you can build two different ones there and the previous two in other cities.

Top Bottom