RTW realism

No prob about those unit skins. For editing the stats, go into the Road to War folder in Mods, then go into Assets. Then go into XML. There's tons of tweaking you can do just in this XML folder; once you get the basics of XML down, there's so much you can just figure out on your own pretty easily.

For unit stats, go into Units folder. There are a number of .xml files in there, but you don't need anything special to open them. I always use Wordpad to open them, but other people use Notepad or even MSWord I think (I still prefer Wordpad :D). The unit stats are in "CIV4UnitInfos.xml." It's good to make a backup file just in case, just copy and paste the original file as "CIV4UnitInfos2.xml" or something. Then it's pretty straightforward from there. The text may look like a lot at first, but you'll figure it out quick. Combat rating is under "iCombat" for each unit (about 2/3 down the list of traits for each unit), Movement range is under iMoves (about halfway down), etc.

When you add unique units for a civ, you have to do some other things to make the Civ take the UU, by going into the Civilizations folder, but let us know if you need directions like that. You can probly figure a lot more out on your own now, but let us know.

There's one thing you need to remember about going "true accurate" in unit stats. Not one single other element in Civ4 is "true accurate" and will completely destroy all work put into a true accurate unit stat file.

This has been my argument all along for a year and a half. It is impossible to generate a truelly historical WW2 mod when the engine it runs on does not promote historical accuracy.

But good luck. :)

Ok thank you for telling me how to mod unit strengths and movement what about aircraft range and the special unit abilities? (again like 10% vs armor units)

Ok thank you for telling me how to mod unit strengths and movement what about aircraft range and the special unit abilities? (again like 10% vs armor units)

There is no point answering that question again as I have told you numerous times before (and others have too) that there are tutorials in the Civ4 tutorials forum which explicitly show and explain how this is done.

There is no point answering that question again as I have told you numerous times before (and others have too) that there are tutorials in the Civ4 tutorials forum which explicitly show and explain how this is done.
And as i have told YOU numerous times before i can't find the tutorial i need and the ones i do find i can't understand, so i would appreciate it if you would not place a comment on this thread that is not going to help me Dale.

Fine. Usually I just tell you to look in the tutorial forum, but I get the impression you can't be bothered looking, so here are the threads you need.

Tutorial index: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236836

XML basics 101: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=213706

XML tutorial parts one, two and three

Unit XML: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=139721
More unit XML: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=176460

Modular XML: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234970

And of course any of Kael's tutorials. If you can't understand those tutorials, then I do not know how anyone else can be of more help to you. They are written in the most easy to understand methods for beginning modders. They assume zero modding experience. You can't get simpler tutorials. The XML is also very readable. You want air range? Did you look for the XML tag called iAirRange?

Now don't ask me again. :)

Fine. Usually I just tell you to look in the tutorial forum, but I get the impression you can't be bothered looking, so here are the threads you need.

Tutorial index: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236836

XML basics 101: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=213706

XML tutorial parts one, two and three

Unit XML: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=139721
More unit XML: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=176460

Modular XML: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234970

And of course any of Kael's tutorials. If you can't understand those tutorials, then I do not know how anyone else can be of more help to you. They are written in the most easy to understand methods for beginning modders. They assume zero modding experience. You can't get simpler tutorials. The XML is also very readable. You want air range? Did you look for the XML tag called iAirRange?

Now don't ask me again. :)

Oh i see what happened, you think to much of yourself Dale, i WASN'T asking you i was thanking the guy who told me the lines of code for unit strength and movement and that i would also like to know the lines of code for aircraft range and special unit stats, but i will look at the tutorials.

Ok here are the new strengths that i hope to impliment, if i have to i will try to do it myself but i will probably screw up, any help will be appreciated. Well here they are: in order as they appear in the Civlopedia, i am hoping to take away china's units that it would get form other countries (such as the Sherman) and hoping to be able to set it so you can still build anti-tank guns even after you can get tank destroyers, oh that's another thing, i want to add unique tank destroyer units.
A6M Zero Fighter- 20
Adv. Infantry- 20
American Adv. Inf.- 25
American Early Inf.- 13
American Imp. Inf.- 19
Amiot 143-12
Amiot 340- 10
Amiot 354- 15
Anti-Tank Gun- 7
Anti-Air Gun- 10
Ar 234 Jet Bomber- 22
Ar 234 Jet Bomber- 22
Artillery-12
B-17 Flying Fortress- 20
B-17 Flying Fortress- 20
B-18 Bolo-13
B-29 Superfortress- 30
Ba.88 Bomber-3
Bataille B1-bis Tank-25
Bomber-6
Breguet 693-18
Caproni Campini NI- 25
Cavalry- 8
Chinese Adv. Inf.- 16
Chinese Early Inf.- 10
Chinese Imp. Inf.- 13
Commonwealth Adv. Inf.- 22
Commonwealth Early Inf.- 14
Commonwealth Imp. Inf.- 19
Crusader 3 Tank -20
Curtiss Hawk 75-14
Dewoitinw D.520 Fighter-17
FCM Char 2C Tank- 27
FR Fireball- 30
Fiat CR-42 Fighter- 17
Fiat G. 55 Fighter- 23
Fighter- 14
Focke FW190- 24
French Adv. Inf.-17
French Early Inf,- 11
French Imp. Inf.- 14
German Adv. inf.- 24
German Early Inf.- 14
German Imp. Inf.- 19
Gloster Meteor Jet Fighter- 30
Hawker Hurrincane- 18
Heavy Artillery- 17
Heavy Tank- 25
I-153 Chaika Fighter- 10
Il-2 Fighter- 16
Ilyushin Il4- 15
Ilyushin Il4- 15
Imp. AA Gun- 15
Imp. Bomber- 13
Imp. Fighter- 18
Imp. inf.- 15
Infantry- 10
Italian Adv. Inf.- 19
Italian Early Inf.- 9
Italian Imp. Inf.- 14
Japanese Adv. Inf.- 18
Japanese Early Inf.- 14
Japanese Imp. Inf.- 16
Jet Bomber- 18
Jet Fighter- 25
Ju 87 Stuka- 12
Junkers Ju 88 Bomber- 18
KV-1 Heavy Tank- 28
Kawasaki KI-32- 5
KI 27 Fighter- 15
Ki 84 Fighter- 24
L3/35 Light Tank- 16
L3/35 Tankette- 13
Lancaster Bomber- 18
Light Tank- 20
M11/39 Medium Tank- 18
M2 Light Tank- 18
M26 Pershing Tank- 30
M4 Sherman Tank- 25
M4 Sherman Tank- 25
MS.406 Fighter- 15
Marine- 15
Mark 4 Churchill Tank- 28
Mark 6 Light Tank- 15
Me 262 Jet Fighter- 30
ME BF109 Fighter- 19
Mig 15 Fighter- 28
Mitsubishi G4M- 3
Modern Artillery- 22
Modern Infantry- 25
Modern Tank- 30
Mosquito Bomber- 25
Nakajma Kikka- 15
P-40 Warhawk- 17
P-51 Mustang Fighter- 26
P26/40 Heavy Tank- 23
Paratrooper- 15
Polikarpov I 16- 20
Pzkw 2 Light Tank- 18
Pzkw 4 Medium Tank- 25
Pzkw 6 Tiger Tank- 30
Renault R-35 Tank- 15
Russian Adv. Inf.- 19
Russian Early Inf.- 11
Russain Imp. Inf.- 15
SM.79 Bomber- 10
Supermarine Spitfire- 23
T-26 Light Tank- 15
T-26 Tank- 15
T-34 Medium Tank- 26
Tank- 15
Tank Destroyer- 15
Tupolev TB-4- 10
Tupolev TB-4- 10
Tupolev TU-4- 20
Type 4 Chi-To Tank- 25
Type 95 Ha-Go Tank- 15
Type 97 Chi-Ha Tank- 22
Vickers Wellington Bomber- 10
Vultce V-48C- 32
Finished. PLEASE check for incosistencies, some of these strengths may have been typed up wrong or are just out right wrong. Also please coment on anything you think is wrong.

Looks good, keep em coming. Cool that you're enthusiastic enough to put in this much effort :cool: I've never looked at the tutorials much either (tho they can really help in a pinch!), but whenever I was trying to figure out how to do something (like give +10% vs. armor...) I just found a unit in normal Civ or a mod that did what I wanted (e.g., Gunship in Vanilla does +100% vs. armor), found what lines in the unit description told it to do that (if it's hard to tell, find which lines are different from other units without the ability, like units without a bonus vs. armor), and then copy-pasted and edited as needed (like change 100 to 10, in your case).

In this particular case, to give +10 vs. armor, you go into the same CIV4UnitInfos.xml, find the unit you want, then look for the line "<UnitCombatMods/>" (I didn't know that off the top of my head, but I remembered that a Tiger Tank gets +50% vs. armor, so I found the Tiger Tank and scrolled around looking for the number 50!). Once you find <UnitCombatMods/>, paste over it with:

[tab][tab][tab]<UnitCombatMods>
[tab][tab][tab][tab]<UnitCombatMod>
[tab][tab][tab][tab][tab]<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_ARMOR</UnitCombatType>
[tab][tab][tab][tab][tab]<iUnitCombatMod>10</iUnitCombatMod>
[tab][tab][tab][tab]</UnitCombatMod>
[tab][tab][tab]</UnitCombatMods>

Get it, "unitcombatmod" modifies the combat rating against that type of unit, and "unitcombattype" specifies what type of unit the bonus is against. Most things are pretty intuitive like that, once you know where to look, and looking at other units with the ability you want can show you where to look.

(An important little thing to notice: the original line had a / at the end, "<UnitCombatMods/>", and the / tells the computer that that section is empty. The new pasted over section doesn't end with /, but some of the lines start with /. The / at the start of the line tells the computer that that section is done. If you forget the / or put one in a wrong place, your change won't work. Sounds confusing, but you'll get used to it, really)

But anyway, you can figure out how to do pretty much anything if you just find how other mods or the original game do it, and just copy-then-modify what they do.

Oh i see what happened, you think to much of yourself Dale, i WASN'T asking you i was thanking the guy who told me the lines of code for unit strength and movement and that i would also like to know the lines of code for aircraft range and special unit stats, but i will look at the tutorials.

Well there has been quite a history of you being sarcastic and asking repeated questions to me both publically and PM's. To which I've consistently replied to read the tutorial forums which have really good explanations for everything you've asked for. I just kept getting the impression you were ignoring my advise. But good luck with your modding. As I've said, actually reading the tags in the xml files and relating to things about that object (eg: iAirRange in Civ4UnitInfos.xml) does make the files very easy to understand.

I suppose i should post something about the new units i hope to add. I want to add early, improved, advanced, and modern marine and paratrooper units. They would work exactly like their regular infantry counterparts except they would be for a specific purpose (obviously). So here is a quick list:

Early Marine- 12, starts with amphibous, +20% when in an amphibous attack
Improved Marine- 17, starts with amphibous, +20% when in an amphibous attack
Advanced Marine- 23, starts with amphibous, +20% when in an amphibous attack
Modern Marine- 27, starts with amphibous, +30% when in an amphibous attack

Early Paratrooper- 12
Improved Paratrooper- 17
Advanced Paratrooper- 23
Modern Paratrooper- 27

Also here is a list of the unique marine and paratrooper units i want to add:

American:
Early Marine- 14, starts with amphibous, +20% when in an amphibous attack
Improved Marine- 19, starts with amphibous, +30% when in an amphibous attack
Advanced Marine- 24, starts with amphibous, +30% when in an amphibous attack
Modern Marine- 29, 24, starts with amphibous, +30% when in an amphibous attack

Early Paratrooper- 14, +10% vs all unit types
Improved Paratrooper- 19, +10% vs all unit types
Advanced Paratrooper- 24, +20% vs all unit types
Modern Paratrooper- 29, +20% vs all unit types

British:

Early Paratrooper- 13, +10% vs all unit types
Improved Paratrooper- 18, +10% vs all unit types
Advanced Paratrooper- 23, +20% vs all unit types
Modern Paratrooper- 28, +20% vs all unit types

German:

I am unsure as to what (if any) kind of marine unit the germans had i would appreciate any information on the subject
Early Paratrooper- 13, +10% vs all unit types
Improved Paratrooper- 18, +20% vs all unit types
Advanced Paratrooper- 23, +20% vs all unit types
Modern Paratrooper- 28, +20% vs all unit types

Japanese:

Early Marine- 12, starts with amphibous, +30% when in an amphibous attack
Improved Marine- 17, starts with amphibous, +30% when in an amphibous attack
Advanced Marine- 23, starts with amphibous, +40% when in an amphibous attack
Modern Marine- 27, starts with amphibous, +30% when in an amphibous attack

This should be all the marine and paratrooper unique units if there is anything anyone thinks should be added tell me and i'll look into it.
I'm having a brain block right now and i can't think of the other unique units, but something i do remember is the thing about the dive bombers i don't think they should be added, because all they are, are early versions of fighter bombers (like the P51), if we reworked the technological succesion of aircraft we might be able to work them in but there would have to be two lines of fighters, fighter-fighters and fighter-bombers. Post what you think and i'll see what i can do about it.

Thanks Dale - just what I was looking for:) ... sorry for having to ask but I get quite frustrated:mad: with the search results when I'm not sure what key words to search on for a specific thread.

Totally know what that feels like! :goodjob:

I have add some special promotions to unique units to reflect different levels of training between units.

e,g, for marines I have added

Code:
			<FreePromotions>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_AMPHIBIOUS</PromotionType>
					<bFreePromotion>1</bFreePromotion>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_AMBUSH</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_PINCH</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_COMMANDO</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_MARCH</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_MEDIC1</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_GUERILLA1</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_WOODSMAN1</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_CITY_RAIDER1</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_LEADERSHIP</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_BARRAGE1</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_CITY_GARRISON1</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_CITY_GARRISON2</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
				<FreePromotion>
					<PromotionType>PROMOTION_CITY_GARRISON3</PromotionType>
				</FreePromotion>
			</FreePromotions>

This makes them very tough and worth building.

A selection of mine are are mine in red

Adv. Infantry- 20 15 - as Imp. Infantry + Ambush (to reflect AT capability), City Garrison 3, and Medic 1 (to reflect use of medics)
Anti-Air Gun- 10 1 - AntiAir 10 - cost 270
Artillery-12 10 - cost 2160 NOTE: requires Palace to build to make them less common e.g. Artillery divisions
German Adv. inf.- 24 25 - Ambush (to reflect AT capability, Barrage 1, City Garrison 1,2,3, Medic 1, Guerilla 1, Woodsman 1, March - cost 343
German Early Inf.- 14 15 - Barrage 1, City Garrison 1 - cost 208
German Imp. Inf.- 19 20 - Barrage 1, City Garrison 1,2, Medic 1 - Cost 270
Heavy Artillery- 17 15 - cost 2860, requires Palace as for artillery
Heavy Tank- 25 49 - Barrage 1- cost 2472
Imp. AA Gun- 15 2, AntiAir 15 - cost 395
Imp. Bomber- 13 15 - range 10 - cost 2800
Imp. Fighter- 18 25 - range 5 - Combat 1 - cost 2480
Imp. inf.- 15 10 - as Infantry + City Garrison2 - cost 1280
Infantry- 10 5 - Barrage1, City Garrison1 - Cost 640
Italian Early Inf.- 9 12 - Barrage 1, City Garrison 1 Promotions Cost 170
Jet Bomber- 18 20 - range 6 - Combat 1 - cost 3080
Jet Fighter- 25 35 - range 5 - Combat 1,2 - cost 3280
Light Tank- 20 20 - Barrage 1 - cost 1820
Marine- 15 15 - Amphibious, Ambush, Pinch, Commando, March, Medic 1, Guerilla 1,2,3, Woodsman 1,2,3 City Raider 1, Leadership (double exp), Barrage 1, City Garrison 1,2,3 - cost 1360
Modern Artillery- 22 20 - cost 3440 requires Palace as per artillery
Modern Infantry- 25 30 - as marines + Winter Warfare- Cost 2204
Modern Tank- 30 80 - Blitz,Pinch,Charge,City Raider 1,2,3, Drill 1,2,3,4, Flanking 1,2, Mobility, Leadership, Sentry (to reflect improved recon), tactics, Barage 1,2,3, Winter Warfare - cost 3720
Paratrooper- 15 15 - Promotions as marines (minus amphibious) - cost 1760
Tank- 15 12 - Promotion Barrage 1 - cost 1664

See attached file for more details

NOTE: All land units now have Barrage 1 and Collateral Damage capabilities to reflect divisons having their own artillery and the now rarity of Artillery Divisions.

Also, cost for "Neutral" units are significantly higher to reflect a lack of a Military / Industrial complex as mentioned in elsewhere and I thought was a good idea.

I have now removed Modern Artillery and replaced it with Super Heavy Tanks.

Considering dropping Heavy Artillery and replacing it with Mobile Artillery. Alternatively, I am considering making

Artillery = Corps HQ Support
Heavy Artillery = Army HQ Support

Top Bottom