Fantasy pack 6: Dwarves

Walter Hawkwood

RI Curator
All rightey, today's special treat are the Gauri, or, for your convenience, the Dwarves.

Dwarven architecture in Kohan 2 has, at least to me, also a distinct mesoamerican flair, with brickwork, pyramidal slopes and ornaments - but it also is quite distinctively fantasy dwarven, in a moderately steampunkish way. There are no special effects aside from fire and smoke, and animations are mostly rotating mechanical parts. Many models also have black twirling banners - that you can either easily delete in the nif file if you don't need them, or almost as easily recolor if you know your way around dds files at least a bit.

As usual, a detailed tour:

1) Barracks. Non-animated, no effects.

2) Blacksmith and Foundry. Emit flames, foundry also has animated bellows.

3) Market and Bazaar. Non-animated, no effects.

4) Factory. For some reason, also uses market textures. Emits smoke, has rotating animated parts.

5) City Centers. Most have fires on them. They also have their "black banners" incorporated into their textures, unlike other models.

6) Library and Mage College. Have fires; library has a banner.

7) Shrine and Temple. Shrine has a nice magenta glowy crystal. Temple has fires. Both have banners.

8) Stone Resource. Mining post and export have nice "mining" animations. All have banners.

9) Wood Resource. Sawmill has twirly techy animated stuff. All have banners.

Grab 'em!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12105

a big thanks to you for exporting and an even greater thanks to the great artists at Kohan II, those buildings and textures look wonderful!!!

These look amazing. Do you think these can fit to ME civs like Sumer, Assyria, Hittites, etc? Because hopefully I'll be able to use them in Rhye's and Fall of Antiquity.

Well, markets, at least, look to me like they could fill Mesoamerican and/or Mideastern niches. Maybe also the wood buildings... As for all the other stuff, it looks too fantasy to me to be used for real civs; but of course, it is just my opinion, I didn't even create them. :)

The city centers actually remind me of Valhalla in Halo 3.
I looked at Kohan 2 screenshots on Gamespot before, and most of the screenshots made the graphics look like... well... bad. How come they look so good in your rips, but bad Kohan?

That's only structures - they are somehow a ton better than units and terrain. Thus, even structures put into terrain will look worse in the screenshots. Then again, we must thank the texture artists for this, as one notable fact about those buildings is that their models are really low-poly, so all this coolness is due to absolutely masterwork texturing. So basically yeah, they do look better after I rip 'em, since they are put in different surroundings. :)

I seee a new Khazad Palace model!

If you're talking about the City Centers, then the Citadel (full upgraded City Center) is already used as the Luchuirp Palace.

Also perhaps the factory uses market textures because it's an upgrade for it? Like the Human Bank and Drauga Workshop?

If you're talking about the City Centers, then the Citadel (full upgraded City Center) is already used as the Luchuirp Palace.

Also perhaps the factory uses market textures because it's an upgrade for it? Like the Human Bank and Drauga Workshop?

I'd probably uses Mage College either as RoK temple, or as Khazad palace, if we're talking FfH2 here.

And Gauri factory in Kohan 2 serves the very opposite purpose than markets do. Markets (faction names "Exchange" and "Warehouse") consume resources in exchange for gold, while factory produces said resources.

Markets and market upgrades seem to be very different for each race.
Spoiler :
Gauri:
Exchange: +20 gold, -1 wood, stone and iron
Warehouse: +35 gold, -2 wood, stone and iron, +5 to supply range
Factory: +0 gold, +3 wood, stone and iron

Drauga:
Barter House: +20 gold, -1 wood, stone and iron
Trade Hall: +2 gold, -4 wood and stone, +12 iron
Workshop: -5 gold, +4 wood, stone and iron

Human:
Market: +20 gold, -1 wood, stone and iron
Bazaar: +40 gold, -4 wood, stone and iron
Bank: +25 gold

Haroun:
Trade Fair: +25 gold, -1 wood, stone and iron
Gift of Nature: +2 gold, +2 stone, iron and mana, +6 wood

Undead:
Tomb: +15 gold

Shadow:
Hoard: +20 gold

However, how the different buildings are implemented in Kohan 2 doesn't have an influence on what effects they should have in any mod that include them and I'm glad that you have ripped them for use in Civ 4.

In your opinion, would the upgrades be better suited depending on era city art, or actual upgrades you can build?

I just noticed. There's a Hawkwood as well as a Walter Hawkwood. Is it from a game or book or something?

Top Bottom