• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

remove global warming as an option

DrwHem

Prince
I think global warming is stupid. The way the game makes it work is ridiculous. One day my grasslands turn into a desert? where has this happened that drastically in the real world? Also you cant force other civs to be more clean. I would like some way to safely remove this from the game.

Well if you are going to remove global warming you have to remove religion as well.
Both are made up for entertaining and money. Just look at history.

And those who say global warming is real and man made can come visit me for a face full of snow.
And yeah we had dry roads and sunny weather only a week ago. Warmer my grand big ass;)

You can change the frequency or remove it all together in the "GlobalDefinesAlt" XML file.

<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>

Change 20 to 0, and it should solve your problem.

I think global warming is stupid. The way the game makes it work is ridiculous. One day my grasslands turn into a desert? where has this happened that drastically in the real world?
The desertification of farmland is a well-known problem - it happens on lots of places around the earth. Sahel is a popular example, China another one. Check this page for some information about the latter. Of particular interest to you is probably the line "A report by a U.S. embassy official in May 2001 after a visit to Xilingol Prefecture in Inner Mongolia (Nei Monggol) notes that although 97 percent of the region is officially classified as grasslands, a third of the terrain now appears to be desert."

Causes of desertification vary and are often complex. Global warming is a contributor, but rarely the only cause. Also, desertification is a gradual process. But the game doesn't have the mechanics to successively deteriorate the fertility of a plot of land by small amounts each turn, until the land finally changes from grasslands to desert. Hence the game depicts a more abrupt change - as it does with changes in society organization (for example), which often happens much more gradual than it's depicted in the game.

Also you cant force other civs to be more clean.
Welcome to one of the big environmental problems of our time. It is not uncommon that one country suffers from the ecological sins of another. If a country uses a river for waste disposal and doesn't feel obligated to clean the water afterwards, then all other countries downstream will feel the consequences. The Chernobyl disaster spread nuclear pollution over at least a dozen of countries. Large-scale deforestation in one country can easily influence the weather patterns, humidity, fertility etc. in other countries.

I concede, however, that Civ4's implementation of ecological damage is rather crude, because it totally ignores local effects. It simply monitors a global pollution level and then indiscriminately turns some grasslands on the globe into deserts. A more realistic approach would weight the chances of falling victim to desertification according to the *local* level of pollution. You'd still have a chance be a victim of desertification even if your country is an ecological paradise, but it'd be much lower than it were if your country was churning out pollution.

It would also be nice if you could influence other countries' pollution levels via diplomacy.

I would like some way to safely remove this from the game.
Regardless of what I said - if a game mechanic doesn't add to your fun, remove it, previous posts already explained how to do that.

There's an alternative approach that might interest you: Lt.Bob's 40Civ mod changed the effect of global warming: Instead of turning grasslands to deserts, the mod puts fallout on affected tiles. This way the ecological damage is still part of the game, but it's reversible now (at the cost of having the workers unavailable for other tasks). This also makes more sense in case of nuclear ecodamage.

The changes in Lt.Bob's mod are easy to implement (it's just a matter of copy/pasting one section of one file and then recompiling the DLL), and the way he implemented them makes the optional - an XML value defines whether global warming should be handled the "new" or the "old" way.

And those who say global warming is real and man made can come visit me for a face full of snow.
The fact that global warming exists, and is contributed to by man, is well-known since at least the 70s. I know that there are lobbyists who try to detract from it, and that these have had some success among people who don't have the experience to tell solid science from lobbyist propaganda, but that really doesn't change the facts, it just increases the amount of misinformation.

The immediate desertification of a grassland next to a river of lake in one year is the most unlikely thing I have EVER heard.

there is a way (or at least was a way in CivIII) to make it more gradual, like turn
Snow --> Tundra --> Grassland --> Plains --> Desert
or
Peak --> Hill --> base terrain --> coast
but i bet its possible. I for one believe "Global Warming" is nothing but a cycle the earth goes through over thousands of years and has nearly nothing to do with humans. Yes we may help it along, but what is a car or factory in relation to a volcano? almost nothing. Then add how many volcanoes erupted since the ice age... we have nothing to do with it.:blush:

I for one believe "Global Warming" is nothing but a cycle the earth goes through over thousands of years and has nearly nothing to do with humans. Yes we may help it along, but what is a car or factory in relation to a volcano? almost nothing. Then add how many volcanoes erupted since the ice age... we have nothing to do with it.:blush:
According to Wikipedia, Volcanic activity releases about 130 to 230 teragrams of carbon dioxide each year. Pulling some figures out of my hat, let's say that there are one billion cars in use, each being driven an average of 20 kilometers a day, and emitting 100 grams of CO2 per kilometer. This works out to 2 teragrams per day, or 730 teragrams per year. While that's not enough to put us ahead in total emissions in the last 15000 years (given that we've driven cars in a large scale for less than 100 years), we're certainly making good progress towards that.

That aside, I do find global warming in Civ4 to be mildly annoying, but not enough to bother editing it out. I wish there were ways to carry out terraforming though. FreeCiv allows this to a pretty ridiculous extent - you can terraform literally anything, including building islands out of ocean. I'd be happy to just be able to change terrain types. It could work like this: you build a Terraforming Facility - Grassland, and in 30 turns or so the tile would turn into grassland. This could be limited to changing one step at a time, so you couldn't turn snow into grassland in one step, but would have to go through tundra and plains first.

Heck, even being able to plant forests (real ones you can build lumbermills in, not treefarms) would be awesome. I find myself saving forests for a long time to build sawmills in because I can't replace them once they've been chopped. Maybe some sort of mechanic that requires building an intermediate improvement that then turns into a forest to prevent exploiting it for the chopping bonus?

Another thing - while desertification of farmland is happening in real world, it doesn't necessarily result in Sahara type of conditions. Excessive growing of plants drains the soil of nutrients, making it unfertile, but it's still very feasible to build a workshop or town on it. In Civ4 the tile just turns into a desert which doesn't allow these improvements (although RoM has a few improvements for deserts towards the future). Perhaps we need a new "wasteland" terrain type? It could be 0F 1P and accept the desert improvements, plus those that don't require fertile ground.

And then there's the matter of the desertified tiles containing resources. In one non-RoM game I had global farming strike a grassland tile with corn, resulting in a desert tile with corn. The farm disappeared, but I was able to rebuild it due to the corn being there. I'm not sure if RoM has already changed this, but it seemed rather silly.

According to Wikipedia, Volcanic activity releases about 130 to 230 teragrams of carbon dioxide each year. Pulling some figures out of my hat, let's say that there are one billion cars in use, each being driven an average of 20 kilometers a day, and emitting 100 grams of CO2 per kilometer. This works out to 2 teragrams per day, or 730 teragrams per year. While that's not enough to put us ahead in total emissions in the last 15000 years (given that we've driven cars in a large scale for less than 100 years), we're certainly making good progress towards that.

Sorry to turn this into a political thing but
A. it was a rhetorical question
B. Where did you get your numbers? that wiki entry has none relating to vehicles or factories.
C. you might want to check your math;)
D. you can't measure a gas in mass without density or volume
E. the two numbers that Wiki does have however is that of modern day activity where over 90% of volcanoes are dormant or destroyed

Sorry to turn this into a political thing but
A. it was a rhetorical question
B. Where did you get your numbers? that wiki entry has none relating to vehicles or factories.
C. you might want to check your math;)
D. you can't measure a gas in mass without density or volume
E. the two numbers that Wiki does have however is that of modern day activity where over 90% of volcanoes are dormant or destroyed
All right, let's take this discussion elsewhere and keep this thread on topic.

There's Global Warming mod for BtS which improves the global warming system so that terrain changes happen more gradually, just like it's been mentioned in this thread. This mod component does require SDK changes and since it hasn't been included in RevDCM, it hasn't made its way to RoM either, so don't ask me to include it.

Top Bottom