Ask a Theologian II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kant was an enormously popular dining companion, because he was good company and very witty. He invariably had guests for lunch, whom he would invite that morning because he didn't want them to agree to come some time in advance and then have to turn down subsequent invitations. He provided large quantities of claret for everyone and always aimed to finish the meal with laughter (admittedly, this last was because he thought it was good for the digestion). Unfortunately none of this is apparent in his writing.

I'm going to relate at length an anonymized and somewhat edited discussion I ended up having with a person elsewhere on the Internet, which I'm not supposed to link to here, but I suppose I can quote it...

It began, as such things do, with an argument of Creationism v. Evolution, and derailed. One of the Creationists posted a long tirade, irrelevant to this discussion, about the book of Genesis, to which another posted replied that the story of Genesis was "really" taken from various other sources, including one about a dragon god. This was stridently contradicted by the Creationist and questioned by a few others, and we ended up with this, which is where the local discussion starts.
D said:
But there is very good evidence that the Old Testament Yahweh was a "dragon god" with attributes of both the Cannanite Yaw, and Sumerian Enki, and the brass, fiery flying serpent that Yahweh ordered Moses to make was his idol. Even the highest heavenly servants in the orignal Hebrew language were winged reptiles, and when the Romans sacked jerusalem and recorded the event on the Arch of Titus, the holiest piece of temple furniture, the seven branched menorah lamp stand was also decorated with images of the Yahweh dragon. No one but the High Priests were ever supposed to see this object as it was kept in the Holy of Holies.
I thought this was a very strange, so I passed the quote on to Plotinus for comment, who said that it wasn't his main field and advised me to be skeptical.

I wrote the following reply to D: (obviously not his real name)
Erik said:
I'd like sources. Meanwhile, let me complain a bit about what you've said so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sack_of_jerusalem.JPG
http://catholic-resources.org/AncientRome/rom4-4.jpg
http://www.bluffton.edu/~sullivanm/titus/spoilscandle.jpg
I can't see dragons on either of these, or even a level of detail high enough to support dragons.

http://www.the-tabernacle-place.com/tabernacle_articles/tabernacle_menorah.aspx
http://www.shemayisrael.com/parsha/eylevine/5763terumah.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_of_Holies
The seven-branched menorah was kept in the Holy Place, not the Holy of Holies. It was less holy than the Ark of the Covenant, the Tablets of the Ten Commandments, and the Rod of Aaron, which were kept in the Holy of Holies.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers 21&version=50
The only "fiery serpent" I know of mentioned in the Bible wasn't flying.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H7431&t=KJV
The closest "original Hebrew language" word I can find for "reptiles" never mentions heavenly servants.

Meanwhile I sent the first quote on to Maimonides, who replied with this:

Maimonides said:
Hi, Erik. It looks like mostly <deleted> to me.

Spoiler lengthy reasons for it being <deleted> :
-"Yahw-h" has lots of problems in itself-namely, that it's not really "Yahw-h." In Hebrew, it's spelled Yud Hay Vav Hay without vowels. Those letters couldn't spell "Yahw-h." "Yahw-h" is just a pronounciation given to that name by scholars so they'd have something to say & write. The reality is that nobody knows for sure how that name of G-d should be pronounced. The Jewish religious tradition is that the messiah will know how to properly pronounce it & that's one of the ways of indentifying the messiah when he comes. This is yet another reason why Jews don't believe that Jesus was the messiah-there's no mention of him whatsoever divulging the pronounciation of Yud Hay Vav Hay. When Jews read it aloud, we insert another of G-d's names as it's a no-no in Judaism to mispronounce or otherwise disrespect a name of G-d.

All of that being said, "Yahw-h" couldn't be derived from the names of Yaw, who I've never heard of, & Enki. They don't sound remotely alike. Additionally, it's unlikely that Sumerian would be a source for early Judaism as Canaanite & Aramean clearly were. Ine early Hebrew name for G-d is derived directly from the name of an Aramean god.

-Whatever that guy is reading, it's not the Torah/Hebrew Bible. G-d certainly did not order Moses to create an idol of any sort in the Torah. Quite the opposite.

-The "highest heavenly servants in the original Hebrew language" were certainly not winged serpents. I don't think there is any physical descriptions of the angels in the Torah. There was the serpent in Eden, but it doesn't say it had wings... Dragons don't appear anywhere in Jewish tradition that I can think of.

-The menorah looted from the Temple pictured on the Arch of Titus does not have dragon decorations. This is an outright lie.

Furthermore, the tradition is that the menorah be lit & displayed where it can be seen publicly. It might have been kept in the inner Temple, but it was likely brought out during Channukah & lit for all to see.

It was also certainly not the "holiest piece of Temple furniture." Channukah is actually a minor Jewish holiday that celebrates the military victory over the Greeks.

D doesn't seem to know much at all about Judaism, history or archaeology. Likely just another conspiracy nut. Ask him what he thinks of the Freemasons.

You should have put this in the Ask a Theologian thread as it might be interesting to others. No need to cite the source.

During that, D wrote this reply to me:

D said:
Even the Online Jewish Encyclopedia admits that the best translation of the Seraphim are fiery fying serpents as well as a noted Christian expert in hebrew. Here is one of his articles:
Serpentine / Reptilian Divine Beings in the
Hebrew Bible: A Preliminary Investigation
Michael S. Heiser
Spoiler article :
Introduction
The focus of this brief overview into the matter of serpentine /
reptilian beings in the Hebrew Bible arises from a study of the biblical
Mypr#o (seraphim). Traditionally, the word seraphim has been understood to
derive from the Hebrew verb Pr#o (saraph; &#8220;to burn&#8221; &#8211; hence, seraphim
would mean &#8220;burning ones&#8221; or &#8220;fiery ones&#8221;). While this is certainly
possible, there is another very plausible (and I would say more likely)
possibility that either eliminates seraph as the root, or co-exists and overlaps
with it (I think the latter). This alternative root would mean there are clear,
unmistakable references to serpentine / reptilian beings in the Hebrew text
of the Old Testament.
Naturally, for readers of The Façade (or inquirers on my website), this
would dovetail with what I refer to as the &#8220;Watcher paradigm&#8221; &#8211; that the
Watchers, reptilian beings described in religious texts of great antiquity (cf.
the Dead Sea fragment 4QAmram), are the &#8220;root origin&#8221; of the worldwide
serpent mythologies that have serpentine gods / flying serpentine beings
as those divine beings which bestowed high technology to mankind and
which fathered the first line of god-(human) kings.
The Data to Consider
It is plain from the contents of the Hebrew Bible that a saraph is a
serpent. The word (as a singular or plural noun) occurs seven times.
During the desert wanderings of the Israelites under the leadership of
Moses, God judges the people (Numbers 21:6) by sending
~ypir'F.h; ~yvix'N>h; (hannechashim hasseraphim; &#8220;seraph serpents&#8221;) to bite them.
The translation &#8220;seraph serpents&#8221; is more accurate than &#8220;fiery serpents&#8221;
(KJV) as we shall see. When the people prayed (Numbers 21:7) that the
&#8220;serpents&#8221; (there, nachash) be taken away, Moses intercedes for the people.
God then instructs Moses to make a saraph (Pr#o) and to put it on a pole, so
that all who would look at it would be healed from the bites (Numbers

21:8). Moses responds (Numbers 21:9) by building a tv,xon> vx;n> (nechash
nechosheth). Note that in this narrative, the Hebrew words nachash and
saraph are used interchangeably. This points to the fact that a saraph is not a
&#8220;fiery thing&#8221; but simply a serpent. As further proof of this
interchangeability, in Deuteronomy 8:15 Yahweh is praised twice for
bringing Israel through the desert with its notorious nachash saraph.
With this interchange as backdrop, the prophet Isaiah&#8217;s use of saraph
/ seraphim sets up the issue of reptilian / serpentine divine beings. In Isa.
14: 29 and 30:6, Isaiah mentions the @peA[m. @r'f' (saraph me(opheph; literally,
&#8220;flying serpent&#8221;). More on this below. The famous throne room vision of
Isaiah in chapter 6 of his book notes that in the throne room of Yahweh
there were seraphim &#8211;serpentine beings. These beings also had wings and
could fly, and had human features as well (hands, face, feet):
Isa 6:1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne,
high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 2 Above it stood the seraphim:
each one had six wings; with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his
feet, and with two he did fly. 3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy,
holy, [is] the Lord of hosts: the whole earth [is] full of his glory. 4 And the posts of the
door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke. 5
Then said I, Woe [is] me! for I am undone; because I [am] a man of unclean lips, and
I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the
Lord of hosts. Then flew one of the seraphim unto me, having a live coal in his
hand, [which] he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: 7 And he laid [it] upon
my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and your iniquity is taken away,
and thy sin purged. 8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send,
and who will go for us? Then said I, Here [am] I; send me.
In putting these features together, let&#8217;s return first to Isaiah 30:6. In that
text, the flying serpents come from the Negev, that desert area between
Palestine and Egypt. These were either real animals, or the term denoted
some type of spiritual (cosmic) enemy. The latter seems preferable, since
throughout the ancient world certain deities were described in such terms
(flying serpents), and there is no such flying animal.1 The term could also
be used of human enemies, as is implied by the other reference to flying
serpents above, Isaiah 14:29:
1 Some speculate that Isaiah is referencing a pterodactyl-like animal, which is both unlikely and
unnecessary given the surrounding religions.

Isa 14:29 Rejoice not, O Philistia, because the rod of him that smote you is broken:
for out of the serpent's (nachash) root shall come forth an asp, and his fruit shall
be a flying serpent (saraph me(opheph).
%Kem; jb,ve rB;v.nI yKi %LeKu tv,l,p. yxim.f.Ti-la; WTT Isa 14:29
`@peA[m. @r'f' Ayr.piW [p;c, aceyE vx'n" vr,Vomi-yKi [ERIK'S NOTE: THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HEBREW WRITING WHICH UTTERLY FAILED TO COPY-PASTE PROPERLY. SEE PDF BELOW.]
This passage is noteworthy on several levels. Three times the enemy of
Israel, the &#8220;chosen seed&#8221; (cf. Genesis 3:15ff.) is described in serpentine
terms. The &#8220;root&#8221; or &#8220;seed&#8221; (offspring, in Hebrew idiom) is described as
the root of the nachash. Readers of The Façade will instantly recognize this
being as the one in the garden of Eden who seduced Adam and Eve. In The
Façade, I argue that the &#8220;serpent&#8221; (Hebrew, nachash) in the Eden story of
Genesis 3 was not a snake &#8211; it was a divine being, a rebel of the divine
council, which met in Eden, the garden of God.2 God curses all parties
concerned at the Fall in Genesis 3. One of the curses involves the &#8220;seed&#8221; of
the nachash being bitterly opposed (a perpetual enemy) of the &#8220;seed&#8221; of the
woman (Eve). The seed of the woman is obviously humanity (and
ultimately, the Messiah; cf. Gal. 3:16). Who are the seed of the nachash?
They are both the original enemies of the divinely chosen seed of the godly
(Noah), produced by fallen divine beings in Genesis 6:1-4. These offspring
are called the nephilim (giants) and gibborim (mighty warriors). The
nephilim and / or gibborim produce succeeding generations of enemies of
God&#8217;s chosen seed (Israel). It is no mistake that Moses and Joshua and
their armies continually run into these descendants (like the Anakim; cf.
Deuteronomy 3 and Numbers 13). Later enemies, like the Philistines
spoken of in Isaiah 14:29 above, are logically referred to as the &#8220;seed of the
nachash&#8221; (recall Goliath the giant was a Philistine, and a descendant of one
the nephilim lines).
Curiously, though, they are also called &#8220;flying serpents&#8221;. What about that?
2 See Ezekiel 28:10ff. Note the PDF file available on my website bookstore that details
these terms as standard descriptions in ancient Canaan for the divine council&#8217;s meeting
place.

In general (preliminary) terms, it seems to me that &#8220;flying seraph&#8221; would be
a better translation of Isaiah 14:29 &#8211;
his fruit shall be a flying seraph (saraph me(opheph).
The meaning behind this, as I see it, is that Israel&#8217;s enemies would be
descendants of the reptilian / serpentine beings who seduced human
women in Genesis 6. These beings are called Watchers in the book of 1
Enoch, and are described as reptilian in the Dead Sea fragment, 4QAmram.
It is clear from several passages in 1 Enoch that the writer there considered
the seraphim to be serpentine beings (cf. 1 Enoch 20:7, 71:7; 61:10 &#8211; a
description of the cherubim and the serpentine beings who guard God&#8217;s
throne &#8211;cf. Isaiah 6).
Seraphim, then, are reptilian / serpentine beings &#8211; they are the Watchers
(the &#8220;watchful ones&#8221; who diligently guard God&#8217;s throne, which is carried
[cf. Ezekiel 1, 10] by the cherubim, who may also serve as guardians).3
There are &#8220;good&#8221; serpentine beings (seraphim) who guard God&#8217;s throne (so
Isaiah 6&#8217;s seraphim), and there are fallen, wicked serpentine beings
(seraphim) who rebelled against the Most High at various times, and who
became the pagan gods of the other nations. Interestingly, 4QAmram adds
a feature to the serpentine Watcher that stands opposed to the good
heavenly watchers: the evil Watchers of 4QAmram are also described as
&#8220;dark&#8221;. This stands in opposition to the luminous or &#8220;brassy&#8221; appearance
of good heavenly seraphim.
A Brief note on the Root of Seraphim
Above I noted that there was an alternative root possibility that
dovetails more readily with the serpentine context of seraphim. Rather than
the traditional root of saraph (&#8220;to burn&#8221;), the root of seraphim may come
from the Egyptian srf (&#8220;serpent&#8221;). Isaiah especially is known for its
Egyptian flavor in parts, and there are numerous texts and artworks in
3 This conclusion is very tentative, and reflects my suspicion that the reason that descriptions of seraphim,
cherubim, and Watchers (in Daniel) as &#8220;human like beings clothed in white linen&#8221; have overlapping
features (hands, feet, human face, wings) is that they are names for the same entities (cf. not all cherubim
have four faces, e.g.). This would make Satan an original Watcher &#8211; at one time a guardian of the divine
throne. I am still thinking about all this, though, and my views may change.

Egypt that describe and depict serpents. Many of them have the srf as
having wings or flying. Others combine this description with fire (and so
this may give rise to a dual wordplay in the Hebrew Bible &#8211; where
seraphim refers to a luminous serpentine divine being). This seems most
consistent.
For further reference (texts and iconography):
Karen Joines, Serpent Symbolism in the Old Testament: A Linguistic,
Archaeological, and Literary Study (Haddonfield House, New Jersey, 1974)
&#8220;Serpent&#8221; in Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible (Brill, 1999)

Just reading early Christian writngs and looking at early christian art confirms this was originally understood. The book of Enoch, actually quoted in the Bible and had great inflence on Chjriostianity, states that Gabriel is in charge of the heavenly "dragons", and may be one himself. The Apocolypse of Baruch, another book used by Jews and early Christians alike speaks of the dragons in heaven who consume the wicked, and this is seen in a large amount of early Christian art.

You can also easily google the fact that Yaw/Yam is identified as a dragon deity, and Yahweh is believed by some scholars to be the same God. In fact, Yahweh is given many dragon attributes in the bible such as fiery breath, smoking nostrils, wings, collecting treasure and devouring animals inlcuding humans.

from Wiki "According to some, Yam was also called Ya'a or Yaw. Damaged text in KTU 1.2 iv has been interpreted by Mark S. Smith as describing a renaming of Yam from an original name Yaw.[2] The resemblance of the latter to the Tetragrammaton YHWH led to speculation over a possible connection between Yam and God of the Hebrew Bible."

Of course, you haven't heard much about this, maistream Christianity doesn't want peple to know Yahweh is a lamb, calve and virgin eating dragon, with a flock of lesser ones (his offspring?) to do his bidding.

Many early Christians as well as the persians acknowledged this as well, so it is hardly something I am making up. I am merely putting all the 'facts' together on the subject, apparently for the first time, in my upcoming book.

Here's the relevant Michael S. Heiser article without horrible formatting mangling caused by ASCII and Unicode:
http://zxc.se/arkiv/index.php?dir=&file=MICHAEL S HEISER - Serpentine Beings In The Hebrew Bible.pdf

There is also this related assertion:
When the ancient Jews translated the word Seraphim into Greek, the word they used was drakon, which is the word our modern "dragon" is derived from.
And another possibly helpful relevant link referenced above: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=488&letter=S&search=Seraphim

This entire exchange has left me staring in incredulity, so I'm not sure what to ask for other than some form of comment on the debacle as a whole.

Kant was an enormously popular dining companion, because he was good company and very witty. He invariably had guests for lunch, whom he would invite that morning because he didn't want them to agree to come some time in advance and then have to turn down subsequent invitations. He provided large quantities of claret for everyone and always aimed to finish the meal with laughter (admittedly, this last was because he thought it was good for the digestion). Unfortunately none of this is apparent in his writing.

I remember he wrote something that was supposed to be funny, about a primitive man who was bewildered by a foaming bottle, wondering how all the content of the bottle was kept inside if it then bubbled out.

Yeah, 18th century humour.

Erik, the source that D has quoted there is an article which is quite explicitly proposing a new theory. I'm not competent to judge whether that article is right or not, but whether it is or not, D can hardly cite it as evidence that the theory it proposes is established fact. Moreover, that article is arguing only that seraphim are, or are based upon, serpents. It's not saying that Yahweh himself is a serpent god! The author is studying the story of the Watchers, not traditions about Yahweh - these are different things.

D's other comments indicate that he's not quite got a complete grip on this thing. There is no such thing as "the book of Enoch" - there are several books of Enoch. 1 Enoch is quoted in Jude 14-15, but not relevantly. I don't know the passage in 1 Enoch to which D refers but even he admits that it's only about seraphim and Gabriel. Parts of the book of Baruch were used in early Christian liturgy and one or two bits were quoted by one or two early theologians, but again, not very relevantly. As for the dragons in early Christian art, I don't know of any.

It seems that the claim that Yahweh himself was a dragon god is based solely upon two things - first, the supposed derivation of Yahweh from Yam. All that D does to back this up is to quote a passage from Wikipedia which says that some scholars think there's a connection. Wikipedia goes on to say that other scholars think this is nonsense. Either way, a second-hand opinion in Wikipedia doesn't count for much.

And second, we have this:

In fact, Yahweh is given many dragon attributes in the bible such as fiery breath, smoking nostrils, wings, collecting treasure and devouring animals inlcuding humans.

This is a classic example of running passages together to create an interpretation found in none of them. Just because one author says that Yahweh has fiery breath, and another says he has smoking nostrils, and another says he has wings, and another says he collects treasure (where does this come?), and another says he devours animals, doesn't mean that "the Bible" says he does all of these things. There's no such thing as "the Bible" with a single viewpoint. You can run passages from different books of the Bible together to make up any image you want but can't attribute that image to the actual authors, any more than a ransom note made of cut-and-pasted newspaper headlines can be attributed to the authors of the newspaper articles. Besides which, this fire-breathing, winged, treasure-hoarding, beast-devouring dragon sounds to me more like something from Beowulf than anything from ancient Middle Eastern mythology.

I'd also like to know who these early Christians are who "acknowledged" all of this (it's interesting that when conspiracy theorists talk about the early church, any Christians who say anything that might be taken to support their theories are cited enthusiastically and uncritically, while any who say anything that opposes the theory are dismissed purely on the basis that they disagree). I can't think of any examples. And even if there were, what would it prove?

D also makes the standard conspiracy theorist mistake of confusing derivation with meaning. Suppose that belief in Yahweh really did go back to the worship of some kind of Middle Eastern dragon god. What would that prove? It certainly wouldn't mean that "Yahweh is a lamb, calve and virgin eating dragon, with a flock of lesser ones (his offspring?) to do his bidding". It would mean only that belief in Yahweh was descended from belief in such a thing, not that Yahweh, as worshipped by Jews and Christians, literally is such a thing. It's like confusing the meaning of a word with its etymological derivation. But it's a largely uncontroversial belief of scholars that Yahweh was originally a sort of tribal god, who was only later believed to be the sole God of universal jurisdiction; it doesn't mean that scholars think that that is all that Yahweh was in Jewish worship! And of course, D's implication that the Christian church is actively suppressing all of this because it doesn't want people to know it is obviously taking us into tinfoil hat territory.

Finally, D doesn't mention the fact that dragons normally have negative connotations in the Bible, above all the famous use of the imagery in Revelation to refer to the bloated, bloodthirsty power of Rome. Revelation is drenched in traditional Jewish imagery. If these people really thought that God was a dragon then they were very confused.

When the ancient Jews translated the word Seraphim into Greek, the word they used was drakon, which is the word our modern "dragon" is derived from.

This is not true. Isaiah's famous seraphim are translated as "seraphin" in the Septuagint. The less well known seraphs of chap xiv become "ophis", the familiar serpent of Genesis.

That's odd: I thought Kant and Schleiermacher were philosophers. How are they theologians also? (Perhaps you can cite some of their theological treatises?)

Kant was a philosopher, but he's counted as a theologian as well because he made important contributions to theology. In particular, he pioneered the idea that religion (and particular Christianity) is basically about ethics, and not metaphysics at all. This idea was enormously influential throughout the nineteenth century and is still widespread today. More indirectly, Kant was also a huge influence on Hegel, who was more explicitly theological in his work. I believe that his Critique of practical reason contains most of Kant's views on theology and religion (among many other things, of course) but I haven't read it so I can't be sure.

Schleiermacher was certainly primarily a theologian though, and arguably the most original and influential one for two centuries. His On religion: speeches to its cultured despisers made his name. And The Christian faith was probably the most important work of theology of the nineteenth century. In fact it's still of more than purely historical interest even now - many of the ideas in it didn't catch on in their day but anticipate significant theological trends of the twentieth century.

What I meant was: Augustine had an outlook on life and his own experience, as it seemed to him, of sin and evil. Initially, Manichaeism attracted him because it seemed to speak to that outlook and experience, to explain it and to offer a way out of it. But he became dissatisfied with it. Subsequently, he found that Orthodox Christianity spoke to that outlook and offered a way out of it in a more satisfying and effective way. That seems to me a more plausible account than suggesting that it was Manichaeism that gave him that outlook in the first place, and that this subsequently influenced his understanding of Christianity.

Peter Abelard - at least, until the "incident". I think Schleiermacher was a fun character to be around, and so was Kant, surprisingly. Jerome is quite fun to read but you wouldn't have wanted to be stuck in a lift with him. And Luther would have been fun, in a very teutonic sort of way, when he wasn't on the depressive swing of his cycle.

Oh... I wasn't confused about that, but I figured it out on my own. Every time I see orthodox, I think the Eastern Church. Its a bad habit of mine.

Plotinus, what's the usual assessment of Constantius II? Was he Arian, crypto-Arian, unsure, unclear, or was he all cool with the result of Nicaea?

Oh... I wasn't confused about that, but I figured it out on my own. Every time I see orthodox, I think the Eastern Church. Its a bad habit of mine.

In Augustine's day, of course, there was only one church (well, apart from the Donatists, the Valentinians, the Novatianists, etc), so it could equally well be called "Orthodox" and "Catholic". Of course we think of Augustine as Catholic rather than Orthodox because (a) he spoke Latin, and (b) he was hugely influential on the later Catholic Church but had virtually no influence on the later Orthodox Church. But he still counts equally as both and indeed some Orthodox writers have sought to "reclaim" him for Orthodoxy. A translation of some of Augustine's works was made into Greek in the fourteenth century which enjoyed a brief period of popularity; there is evidence that Gregory Palamas was influenced by it on some points. Other than that, of course, Augustine has generally had a pretty bad reputation in the Orthodox Church, for his views on original sin and the Trinity.

Plotinus, what's the usual assessment of Constantius II? Was he Arian, crypto-Arian, unsure, unclear, or was he all cool with the result of Nicaea?

Traditionally, Constantius II is dismissed as basically an Arian. But not only is that a bit simplistic but even the label "Arian" itself is unsatisfactory. Not only did the "Arians" themselves never use it, and some of them explicitly repudiated any link to Arius, but there were many different groups who often hated each other even more than they did the non-Arians. Constantius II himself seems to have oscillated to some extent between these groups, such as the Homoians and the Homoiousians, depending on who his advisers were. Overall, however, his sympathies seem to have been pretty much with the Homoians, as represented by Acacius of Caesarea. As with any ruler, though, it's hard to assess whether this was because he was personally committed to Homoian Christianity or whether he merely thought it the best way of uniting the church. Given the efforts he went to to impose it upon the church, I would have thought the former the more reasonable explanation. Nevertheless, of all the councils he called throughout the 350s, most of them did not issue unambiguously Homoian creeds. They were generally more Homoian in tendency, and more clearly anti-Nicene than anything else. So either Constantius was not a completely committed Homoian or there was still an element of compromise going on at these councils, for all the emperor's bluster.

Kant was a philosopher, but he's counted as a theologian as well because he made important contributions to theology. In particular, he pioneered the idea that religion (and particular Christianity) is basically about ethics, and not metaphysics at all.

An astute obervation, worthy of an incisive mind like Kant's.

Schleiermacher was certainly primarily a theologian though, and arguably the most original and influential one for two centuries. His On religion: speeches to its cultured despisers made his name. And The Christian faith was probably the most important work of theology of the nineteenth century. In fact it's still of more than purely historical interest even now - many of the ideas in it didn't catch on in their day but anticipate significant theological trends of the twentieth century.

I'm sorry, I must have confused him with Feuerbach.

An astute obervation, worthy of an incisive mind like Kant's.

Astute, but obviously completely wrong. Much of the history of twentieth-century theology consisted of the process of everyone realising this.

Because religions quite obviously feature many elements that have nothing to do with ethics, such as liturgy. Someone who believes that religion is entirely about ethics is committed to the view that elements such as these are not really religious at all, which is absurd and ignores the ways in which people actually act and use the word "religious" or its cognates. Kant, for example, contrived to be always "indisposed" whenever his duties as rector of his university called for him to attend a service, because he thought doing so was a complete waste of time. Maybe he was right, but that was a matter of rejecting an element of religion, not of being true to what religion is really all about.

Plotinus, can you answer a simple question? I think I recall reading somewhere in the New Testament that Jesus had at least one brother. If this is the case, what can the basis be for the traditional Catholic teaching that Mary remained a virgin all her life? Surely there was only one virgin birth?

On another thread in the History forum a while back , I tried playing a little Lewis, and you said that most scholars don't believe that Jesus ever claimed to be God. What do they believe was the motive for the Gospel writers to insert claims to divinity into their writings?

Plotinus, can you answer a simple question? I think I recall reading somewhere in the New Testament that Jesus had at least one brother. If this is the case, what can the basis be for the traditional Catholic teaching that Mary remained a virgin all her life? Surely there was only one virgin birth?

The Bible mentions 4 brother by name, and says he had sisters too. One of these is often thought to be the author of the book of James.

The Catholic Church did not like the idea of Mary loosing her virginity, and so they decided that Adelphoi should be translated as "cousins" or "close relatives" (Plotinus has stated that there is no real linguistic basis for this and that the Catholic Church isn't being very reasonable).

The Orthodox Church (whose clergy probably understood Greek a whole lot better, as it was their first language) didn't like the idea either, but they instead decided that it should be taken to mean step-brothers, i.e., sons that Joseph had by a previous marriage. They teach that Joseph was an older widower when he married Mary, and that he was marrying her not because he wanted more children but because he wanted help raising those he already had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom