Improved Farming

Flying Pig

Utrinque Paratus
Retired Moderator
This mod component gives Farm improvements, in a similar way to mines, a small chance of discovering a resource (corn, wheat or rice). On average, each farm has a very slightly greater chance as a mine of discovering any resource on any given turn, since a farm is 2.5 times as likely to make a discovery on any one resource but a mine can discover 2.3 times the number of resources.

To install, simply extract into your Civ IV\Assets\XML\Terrain folder.

CCCQ welcome - if you download, please rate!

Download here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12945

What about farmers growing enough crops to make a difference? I mean, the farms on no resources are still making something, so I see it as they are not making enough to impact the health of the local population, and so they can now start making more. Also, could just be farmers diversifying.

I like the idea. But may I suggest tweaking the discover Rands a bit. True that there are 7 discoverable resources for mines as compared to the 3 that the farm will be abel to discover. But for a large portion of the game (before steam power and coal) the mine only can discover 5. Also food resources are a bit more powerful with the increased health, and it greatly boosts Cereal Mills' power.

True - although farms are more likely to discover the resources (intentional planting in place of striking it lucky).

True - although farms are more likely to discover the resources (intentional planting in place of striking it lucky).

Yes I know that they are more likely to discover resources. What Im saying is that for most of the game you ratio is a little off, more of a game balance thing than a realitly thing. By 2.5 times more likely Im assuming that you have set the discover rand to 4000, being that mines have a discover rand of 10,000. Your reasoning being that there are 2.3 times as many resources for mines (7 for mines, 3 for farms). But for most of the game there are only 5 resources that a mine can discover, and 3 for farms, so thats 1.66 times as many. So Im thinking to balance it properly, farms should be between 1.66 and 2.5 times as likely to pop a resource. Otherwise farms will be poping way more resources compared to mines until both coal and aluminum are available.

If it was 5000, then that's 2.0, which is about right. I'd like to test it a bit or see a few people do so before I change it

Top Bottom