[BTS Total Mod] Thomas' War

can someone please help me... i'm having trouble adding a dll for more than 18 civs. i've got it to work with other mods, just not this one... i put it in the assets folder like i'm supposed to then when i go to load the mod thomas war doesn't even start up it just tells me a problem occured and leaves it at that :s if i then delete the dll the mod works as normal again... this has really got me stuck :(

@ Dr.Love:

Using VC++2008 I've installed the SDK like Refar described in his much needed CIV4 SDK Instructions.pdf , but found that the original project has three more preprocessor definitions than the IDE indicates. Those should propably added manually: _USRDLL, _WINDOWS and CVGAMECOREDLL_EXPORTS.

To adjust this you:
1. Open the Properties of your project
2. Select Configuration Properties -> NMake
3. Select Final_Release from the "Configuration:" drop-down-box
4. Select the line Intellisense -> Preprocessor Definitions
5. Add the following: ";_USRDLL;_WINDOWS;CVGAMECOREDLL_EXPORTS" without quotes
6. Save by pressing OK
7. Repeat the process with Debug from the "Configuration:" drop-down-box

I'm not quite sure what exactly those definitions are doing with the code, but without _USRDLL you have to change the MAX_CIV_PLAYERS constant in CvDefines.h in a different way than usual.

The makefile actually has those definitions included, so command-line compiling should be fine, they just didn't make it into the IDE for some reason.
(Actually I used glider1's makefile)

Hope this helps.

The GFC error is always related to the interface, exactly that the interface can't be found, because the mod name has to be hardcoded in there.
Possible errors:
- You've renamed the folder (i guess, it should be "Thomas War 3.5" at the moment)
- You've placed the mod in custom assets, and not in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\etc

Check both, one is the reason for it.

I haven't renamed the folder from the download, so that can't be the problem. However, #2 looks promising: so I can't put the Mod in the 'My Games' folder under MODS? It has to be in the original program files location?

It has to be in the original program files location?

Exactly :yup:.

The reason is, that it tries to load the changed interface from a folder, which has to be mentioned relativly seen from the bts.exe, and when you put it in My Games, it can't find the interface.

This patch incorporates the "Unofficial Patch 1.40", "Better BtS AI 0.82" and allows for 40 Civilizations.
Since patch X04 a few new mod components were incorporated and as such the game now deviates slightly from the original gameplay. I hope you don't mind.

Download:
Thomas War 3.5a_Patch_X05.7z

Installation:
1. Install Thomas' War 3.5a
2. Unpack the folders/files of the patch into "..\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Thomas' War", overwriting the old ones

Changelog:
X05
Included Module "MapZoom" (Temudjin: "MapZoom" )
- take a look at the map from way above, without all those clouds)
Included Module "ExoticAnimals" (Extract from Roamty: "Modular ExoticAnimals")
- add Cheetah, Hawk and Penguin units
New: Old 18 civ scenarios can now be played (Temudjin: "Making Scenarios Independent of Mod's Maximum Civs")
Fixed 'Giant Map' Help Text
Fixed 'Standard' Handicap for AI to Prince/Warlord
- got that wrong in X04, I thought I was setting player handicap (Thanks fulano)
Updated to "Unofficial Patch 1.40"
X04
Fixed bug in CvVictoryScreen.py: Best rival religion now shown correctly
Fixed scoreboard in CvMainInterface.py: Now capable to display up to 40 players
Improved scoreboard:
- Vassals grouped with masters (BULLET)
- Teams shown (SILVER_STAR) and grouped together,
- Left aligned scores
Included "Real Allways War" (The_J: "Simple Python Things")
Included "Real One City Challenge" (The_J: "Simple Python Things")
Included "Influence Driven War" (moctezuma: "Influence Driven War")
- Tuned it down a bit though
Included "Speed Tweaks" (Sephi: "Faster BTS 3.19")
- (except in CvUnitAI::AI_protect(), where BBAI does some heavy lifting)
Allowed for 'Giant' maps - if you have a script that can handle these
Adjusted BTS/SAVE versions to 319/302 in "GlobalDefines.xml", also changed there:
- 'Standard' Handicap is now Warlord
- 3 National Wonders per City (8 for OCC)
- Max XP: vs Animals 9, vs Barbarians 24, after Upgrade 25
- Golden Age Length: 10
X03
Fixed Python Bug in CvVictoryScreen.py: Dependency on only 18 players
X02
Updated to "Unofficial Patch 1.30"
Updated to "Better BtS AI 0.82"
Allowed for 40 Civs
Fixed Python Bug in CvEventManager.py: AI:Great Doctor/Great Statesman sometimes failed to trigger Plague/Blight event and die properly
Fixed Strange Python Bug in CvMainInterface.py: Class CvMainInterface once failed to recognize its own var
X01
Updated to "Unofficial Patch 1.20"
Updated to "Better BtS AI 0.81m"
Included new graphics: "Modern Roads" from BUG 4.1

It's a great mod tsentom1 - Thank you

Attachments

• Thomas War 3.5a_Patch_X04.7z
    1.9 MB · Views: 344
  • Thomas War 3.5a_Patch_X05.7z
    2.6 MB · Views: 525
Exactly :yup:.

The reason is, that it tries to load the changed interface from a folder, which has to be mentioned relativly seen from the bts.exe, and when you put it in My Games, it can't find the interface.

Believe it or not, you have just solved a problem for not only this mod but several others on my machine. :hatsoff:

Here's is a new patch X04 see also: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8611928#post8611928

Download:
Thomas War 3.5a_Patch_X04.7z

Changelog:
X04
Fixed bug in CvVictoryScreen.py: Best rival religion now shown correctly
Fixed scoreboard in CvMainInterface.py: Now capable to display up to 40 players
Improved scoreboard:
- Vassals grouped with masters (BULLET)
- Teams shown (SILVER_STAR) and grouped together,
- Left aligned scores
Included "Real Allways War" (The_J: "Simple Python Things")
Included "Real One City Challenge" (The_J: "Simple Python Things")
Included "Influence Driven War" (moctezuma: "Influence Driven War")
- Tuned it down a bit though
Included "Speed Tweaks" (Sephi: "Faster BTS 3.19")
- (except in CvUnitAI::AI_protect(), where BBAI does some heavy lifting)
Allowed for 'Giant' maps - if you have a script that can handle these
Adjusted BTS/SAVE versions to 319/302 in "GlobalDefines.xml", also changed there:
- 'Standard' Handicap is now Warlord
- 3 National Wonders per City (8 for OCC)
- Max XP: vs Animals 9, vs Barbarians 24, after Upgrade 25
- Golden Age Length: 10

Hi all :p

So at first: The 'Thomas War Mod' is absolutely great. :) Have never seen such professional Modding :goodjob: Well, eventhough i really like this MOD, i have a problem:

When i try to load a savegame one of the following three things happens :mad::

1:
Spoiler :
It prints the following message:

Spoiler :
Memory Allocation fail - Exiting Programm.

Reason: Bad Allocation.

afterwards on the desktop

Spoiler :
CivilizationIV.exe requested the programm to
terminate it in an unusual way.

This message seems to refer to an memory adressing fail ore somethin, which really surprises me, my memory is never full (maximum 2,5 GB including a bunch of other applications such as FRAPS, TOR, WMP and a second screen)

2:
Spoiler :
It prints the following message:
Spoiler :
Failed to allocate Graphics memory
Try reducing your Graphic settings

afterwards on the desktop
Spoiler :
CivilizationIV.exe requested the programm to
terminate it in an unusual way.

That really surprises me, too. My System should be more than capable of handling CIV4. Well, i tryed to deactivate Movies and minimize settings, no success, same problem.

3:
Spoiler :
The game is loaded and i can do my turn without problems. When i now end my turn the game gets done with the AI turns. i can freely move the camera and oipen all menus, but even if i let the system run for half an hour, i can nevver do my next turn.
If i end the game and return to the main menu, everything seems ok, untill i try to load a game. If I do so, the message from 1 shows up and the game is terminated. :(

During all of this processes there is neither a great system load, nor the RAM is full.

:confused::confused::confused:

Savegame Details:
Spoiler :
Year : 1937
Map Size : Huge (unmodded)
Civilisations : Me + 9 enemys
Size of the Savegame : 550
Mod Version : Thomas War Vers. 3.5

Game runs in compatibility mode and with ADMIN-Rights.[/SPOILER]
I never had problems running CIV4 on maximun settings, with huger maps and many civs The usual framerate is about 30 - 40 (on maximun graphics settings). :crazyeye:

My System:
Spoiler :
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2
AMD Athlon X64 Dual Core 5000+ 2,6GHZ (not overklocked)
ATI Radeon 4650 512MB (2 Screens: 23" 16:9 + 17" 4:3 Flat)
4,00 GB RAM (maximum usage 3,582GB due to 32bit system)
1TB HDD
aktuell DirectX and ATI drivers including Catalyst
7GB virtual ram

Guys i really need help. :eek: I want to play this great mod :sad: and eventhough i was reading several threads for hours i didn't find anything helpfull. Has anyone here had the same problems? I read that the is unstable at very big games but is this the typicall? Shouldnt my system be capable of handling this? I don't have any experience with 'Thomas War'. :confused:

Greets
the dude :)

PS: Sry for bad Englisch, i'm german :p

What I know is that a lot of people have graphic problems with Ati Radeoh graphic card when they play Civ...
I dont know what is cousing this problem but here is link about that graphic card...
Iplay this mod on xp and vista without any bug so its not mod...
Maybe try to reduce graphic setings but that will change playing this mod alot....:(
Pozdrav!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=4778063#post4778063

What I know is that a lot of people have graphic problems with Ati Radeoh graphic card when they play Civ...
I dont know what is cousing this problem but here is link about that graphic card...
Iplay this mod on xp and vista without any bug so its not mod...
Maybe try to reduce graphic setings but that will change playing this mod alot....:(
Pozdrav!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=4778063#post4778063

Some of those posts in your link are over three years old! It really isn't fair to say Radeon's are the problem based on posts from over 3 years ago! I actually went from an EVGA NVidia 9800GTX+ to an ASUS Radeon 4890+ with much better results in Civ 4: BTS than I ever got with the NVidia card. To each his own, but I sure don't think the current crop of Radeon cards with the most recent drivers (9.11) are the problem. They sure aren't for me.

Some of those posts in your link are over three years old! It really isn't fair to say Radeon's are the problem based on posts from over 3 years ago! I actually went from an EVGA NVidia 9800GTX+ to an ASUS Radeon 4890+ with much better results in Civ 4: BTS than I ever got with the NVidia card. To each his own, but I sure don't think the current crop of Radeon cards with the most recent drivers (9.11) are the problem. They sure aren't for me.

Hej....
I never mention that Radeon graph card is bad...I didnt say that..:mad:
All I know that is I never have this kind of problems and I just try to help the guy who wants to play this mod...
The similar thing hapend to some guy who was try to play my mod a couple mounth ago...He have Ati Radeon graph card also and have the similar problems like this with graphic...
That is why I gave that link...maybe he will find it helpful...?!

Hej....
I never mention that Radeon graph card is bad...I didnt say that..:mad:
All I know that is I never have this kind of problems and I just try to help the guy who wants to play this mod...
The similar thing hapend to some guy who was try to play my mod a couple mounth ago...He have Ati Radeon graph card also and have the similar problems like this with graphic...
That is why I gave that link...maybe he will find it helpful...?!

Well yes, thanks for answer. :) unfortunately it didn't work. tried everyrhing mentioned there, no success. =( Well thank you anyway :p Think im gonna try another map and hope its just a problem with this single game...

I once had some graph problems with my radeon card (related to civ if I recall) and had to get a driver update to resolve the problem.

Great mod, it's about the only one I play! I love all the new things it adds.

I just have one question. Would it not help the mod run better to either provide an option to disable all those beautiful unique unit models for each civilization or include them in a separate file like the dynamic leader heads? I'd also love to be able to play a larger map size without having it crash all the time.

Here's is a new patch X04

I just wanted to say I'm not a fan of this patch. The gameplay tweaks looked cool to me but this new AI is makes my game run much slower (it takes twice as long between turns as before) and the AI is dishonest to boot! My first game the only three nations that were friendly to me declared war on me at once mid game and promptly wiped me out. I thought I was just lacking military so I started a second game and built more defenses and my friendly neighbor with a defensive pact declared war on me out of nowhere and took a good chunk of my cities because I didn't expect an attack from that side. What's the point in diplomacy if the AI ignores it? Now I have to go reinstall the mod to get rid of this patch.

Meddling with the game graphics is somewhat outside the scope of my patches. I just tried to keep this beautiful mod up to date.

I can't argue much about the new AI in BBAI 0.82. It's much! stronger (hence the new 'Standard' handicap became 'Warlord'), but takes more time. I tried to compensate for this a bit by including Sephi's "Speed Tweaks".

My impression is, that the mobbing by formerly friendly neighbors happens when a stronger opponent attacks. It seems that at this point all neighbors have to make a 'Saving Throw' against also attacking (probably depending on strength and attitude), but I'm no expert in the AI.
This looks like a classic problem of realism vs. gameplay as the idea of fighting over the scraps of a wounded enemy, or conspiracies by so called friends seem reasonable enough, but it's indeed a game stopper if it happens to you. Perhaps a future version of BBAI makes this optional.

I can't argue much about the new AI in BBAI 0.82. It's much! stronger (hence the new 'Standard' handicap became 'Warlord'), but takes more time. I tried to compensate for this a bit by including Sephi's "Speed Tweaks".

Okay, thanks for the info.
My next question is about the standard handicap becoming Warlord. I usually played on Warlord but I've been playing on Noble for the last month and was doing okay. When I tried this patch on Noble I very quickly dropped to the bottom of the score list (I even tried giving myself a few free workers to try to keep up). I don't know how to test it but it seems to me the AI is set to Warlord difficulty and receives the handicap bonuses too, which would make the game even harder.

I finally got the mod to install last week and it's pretty awesome btw, but then last night i was playing it and i got a ctd, (I used to get ctds when i am in the Middle Ages for some wierd reason and when i scroll across an ai's territory it would go into a "blank map" thing just terrain and nothing else, then it would freeze then crash.) But then i got this laptop i am writing on (Windows Vista Basic), i had no problems. And now last night i got a ctd and now when i load a save game on the Thomas War mod, i get a c++ runtime error. What can i do to fix this. I have yet to see whether it's just the mod or the whole thing. I have the CIV IV Complete Edition with Colonization. And i have about 20 gb of memory left if that helps....

@fulano: Playing with Warlord difficulty is much easier than with Noble. Also playing Noble while disabling Aggressive AI helps too.

@1morey: Was there an error message? Which one?
Also I compiled the X04-Patch under Windows XP. There shouldn't be a problem with Vista, but then again there shouldn't be any problems with Vista. Not using Vista I wouldn't know.
Lastly Thomas' War seems to be a pretty resource intensive mod and on huge maps or even late-game on large maps it could possibly outgrow your system. Depends on the system if and when that happens.

Top Bottom