Antilogic Events Pack

Overview

Due to RL issues, I'm beginning to feel skeptical that the AMM will ever be finished to my liking. However, I decided that's no reason to hold out with portions of the mod that I'm currently happy with and have the ability to expand in what remains of my free time. Thus, I have put together the AEP: Antilogic Events Pack!

This mod component contains about forty or so events that I have put together over the last year for BtS, as well as a few adjustments to the existing events. I have modified the barbarian horde events, especially the Vedic Aryans, so they are weaker (fewer barbarians show up) and less game-breaking (the technologies required are later in the tech tree, so they happen later). The new events fall into roughly three categories: minor map events, major events, and the civics events. The minor map events were designed to resemble the tin, prarie dogs, parrots, and truffles events; they exist to add a little more variety to the minor tile bonuses in the game. The major events category includes a handful of new events that give more significant effects, such as the recruitment program that gives the player free musketmen units (these can be dangerous in the hands of a French or Ottoman player). The final category are the civics events, which all require particular civics to be triggered. There are more civics-based events for the Government category as well as for the Legal, Labor, and Economic categories. The effects are varied and add more flavor to your civic choices.

Below, I've included a teaser list of the events I've programmed. I can't find my original text files describing some of the early ones, so I don't remember their exact effects. Readers will probably notice the markings by the event names: I've marked civics events with a [C], events that don't execute properly with a '---' (these are disabled in-game currently, although all the good stuff is still there), and events that I have programmed correctly as far as I can tell but haven't gotten them in one of my playtesting games yet with an asterisk. The three broken events right now won't have any effect on the game; I hope to find the error in the coding and post a patch.

So, enjoy, and tell me what you think of the event pack!

~Antilogic

The Download

You can download the most recent version of the mod here.

Installation

The events pack consists of three XML files and a Python file. These can be loaded as a mod (simply copy the AEP folder to your MODS directory) or as custom assets (copy the contents of the Assets folder into CustomAssets). Merging the Python files will be necessary if you have another mod that creates custom events.

Inclusion in other Mods

Go right ahead, just leave me an acknowledgment. Oh, speaking of that...

Acknowledgments

Solver gets a big shout-out here for his guide to events modding; without that, this mod wouldn't have been possible.

Previous Versions

v1.1:
  • Bugfixes for event triggers in Levittown, Independent Fishers, Fishing Boats Sunk, and Overfishing. These should trigger properly now.
  • Initial release of events 42-45 (Silkworm Going Extinct, Naval Proximity AAA Fuses, National Anthem, Corrupt Senate).
  • Adjusted the AI weight values so the AI will be more intelligent in picking which event option to take when presented with more than one.
  • Adjusted the probability and weight of a handful of events (Famous Doctor, Promising General, a few others).
v1.0:
  • Initial release of events 1-41 (see the list below).
  • Changed Solver's civilization-specific events Antimonarchists, Impeachment, and Rogue Station to trigger for any civilization meeting the triggering requirements.
  • Changed barbarian horde events so they will trigger later. Vedic Aryans will spawn with half as many barbarian archers and should be easier to handle early game.

Spoiler Teaser List :
1. Famous Doctor (60/140): a world-reknown doctor is retiring in a randomly selected city, and he is donating his money to further his fellow citizens' health
2. Hardy Crops (80/60): biologists develop a particularly resilient crop of some food resource, ideally suited for a plot of land, that increases food output
3. Prime Timber (75/70): trees in a local region grow particularly tall and strong, and thus provide extra production
4. Resort Town (75/70): one of your towns becomes a tourist trap, bringing in extra commerce
5. Local Mills (75/70): locals outside on of your cities construct small mills, increasing production
6. Greenspace (70/250): your citizens may bring home the trees instead of driving to the countryside to see them
7. Tolerance (60/300): religious tolerance early in the game can provide you a reward
8. Recruitment Drive (50/300): your army starts a revolutionary new recruitment program, encouraging many to join the ranks
9. Exploited Peasants [C] (90/300): brutal landlords extract a little extra wealth from the poor serfs
10. Salt Mines (90/50): a discovery of salt within the your empire's borders will improve local commerce
11. ---Levittown (80/200): innovative homebuilders construct masses of cheap suburban housing, upgrading a cottage or hamlet into a village instantly
12. *War Memorial (80/500): your citizens erect a war memorial to remember the sacrifices of brave soldiers
13. Great Monuments (75/150): monuments in your empire have become famous amongst tourists, boosting your local income
14. Heretical Research [C] (90/200): your priests have deemed your current research projects heretical; we can either take additional time to please them or face unrest amongst our people
15. Streamlined Government [C] (90/100): your bureaucrats manage to reduce government overhead
16. Tax Collection Records [C] (90/125): court magistrates reveal your tax collection records are not accurate for the last few turns
17. *Promising Commander [C] (80/600): a local knight shows promise and is ripe for promotion
18. *Loyalty Tests [C] (90/300): police state enforces loyalty tests and eliminate potential threats in their regime and enhancing security
19. *Expensive Habits [C] (80/100): the monarch seems more interested in gardening than keeping the kingdom's budget afloat
20. Academic Funding [C] (70/80): wealthy businessmen fund research projects at a local academy
21. Major in Humanities [C] (80/100): local university specializes in the study of ancient poetry, literature, and rhetoric
22. Social Stagnation [C] (90/100): lack of opportunities for social advancement causes people to leave for greener pastures
23. Large Recession [C] (90/200): the economy takes a serious downturn, and you are presented with the option of offsetting the decline in consumer spending with government spending
24. Quality Wool (80/150): sheep produce unsually high quality wool, increasing profits for the year
26. Cattle Ranchers (50/200): ranchers expand cattle pastures to feed your growing empires
27. *Fort in Disrepair [C] (80/250): improper maintenance leaves a fort in shambles
28. *Cotton Irrigation [C] (70/200): your regime can divert water from local farming to increase cotton production
29. *Labor Unions [C] (80/300): your workers attempt to form labor unions, and you have the option to allow them or outlaw them
30. No Justice [C] (60/200): local strong men exploit the lack of a good legal system
31. Good Harbor [C] (70/150): merchants declare one of your harbors to be the best-run on the continent
32. *Loose Morals [C] (80/300): cranky old people protest the hip young culture of the future
33. *Heir Assassinated [C] (60/150): the beloved prince is assassinated, leading to widespread public mourning
34. *President Assassinated [C] (50/100): the radical opposition party has assassinated the president, and new security precautions must be taken
35. *Nobles Demand Compensation [C] (70/150): local nobles want a share of the imperial treasury
36. ---Independent Fishers (60/100): locals organize workboat fleets to build fisheries outside your cities
37. ---Fishing Boats Sunk (80/75): strong storms wreak havoc on your fishermen
38. *Banana Blight (50/50): a tasty banana phenotype has been wiped out by the blight
39. *Game Migration (50/100): herds of wild animals migrate to a new location
40. *Overfishing (30/100): overfishing in a particular region reduces yields
41. *Cake Flour (80/50): recipe books recommend flour produced in your mills for the cooking of delicious cakes
42. *Silkworm Going Extinct (50/70): a species of silkworm is going extinct
43. *Naval Proximity AAA Fuses (90/300): your engineers have developed proximity fuses for naval anti-aircraft guns
44. *National Anthem [C] (80/350): your people adopt a military marching tune as new national anthem
45. *Corrupt Senate [C] (80/100): charges of patronage and corruption rock your senate

Cool, I really like random events. It's too bad they were mostly ignored by the modding community at large. I always felt they had so much potential.

On that note, any chance of adding dds images for them, for those of us who can use event images?

Nice; I think I may want to add these to my mod. Even though I have some events already planned out, in my opinion, with these events, more is ALWAYS better.

One thing though - besides the changes to the barbarian hordes, did you implement any other changes in the python? I was thinking when I merge this into my mod, I don't want to mess around with anything python, so... yeah.

Nice to see a good chunk of events, though.

It appears my fellow modders have upped the event ante, so to speak. :)

My first priority is (obviously) fixing the broken events right now, but I might start collecting pictures for a future release of Event Images. A long time back, I asked to include some other random events on this forum, so one day I might be able to pack it all together, images and all the events I could find, into the super must-have events expansion.

Nice; I think I may want to add these to my mod. Even though I have some events already planned out, in my opinion, with these events, more is ALWAYS better.

One thing though - besides the changes to the barbarian hordes, did you implement any other changes in the python? I was thinking when I merge this into my mod, I don't want to mess around with anything python, so... yeah.

Nice to see a good chunk of events, though.

I changed some of the XML triggers for the barbarian hordes, if I recall, to techs later in the tech tree (for example, Bronze Working -> Iron Working). This causes them to fire later and "ruin" fewer games. The Vedic Aryan event has half as many archers in the Python script (so they can't completely overrun an early civilization).

[snip]the recruitment program that gives the player free musketmen units (these can be dangerous in the hands of a French or Ottoman player)

Don't forget Ethiopian players. :evil:

Installed this event pack.
I confirm that the Hardy Scouts event is working properly after enabling it and changing promo to March.
Also:

27. Fort in Disrepair (triggered for AI)
29. Labor Unions (triggered for AI)
33. Heir Assassinated (triggered for AI)
38. Banana Blight (triggered for AI)
40. Overfishing (triggered for player, maybe set showplot to 1?)
41. Cake Flour (triggered for AI)

seem to work fine.
I'll keep an eye open for the other events.

Installed this event pack.
I confirm that the Hardy Scouts event is working properly after enabling it and changing promo to March.
Also:

27. Fort in Disrepair (triggered for AI)
29. Labor Unions (triggered for AI)
33. Heir Assassinated (triggered for AI)
38. Banana Blight (triggered for AI)
40. Overfishing (triggered for player, maybe set showplot to 1?)
41. Cake Flour (triggered for AI)

seem to work fine.
I'll keep an eye open for the other events.

He he, guess you found that one. I just copied the events files out of my mod, and the Hardy Scouts event specifically worked with one of Tsentom's new promotions (it gave your Scouts a 20% chance to survive a combat loss). I disabled it for this release because not everyone has the Survival promotion code as well, but you can use it or change the promotion if you like. :)

One of the confusing things about the fishing events is that bShowPlot is set to 1, but the game doesn't go to the plot. That has led me to believe I had "overspecified" the event to some degree, but I haven't figured out what was causing the conflict. Did you check to see if one of your fishing boats was affected? If the event triggered and properly targeted a valid seafood plot, then it is simply a problem with the interface. Otherwise, the event isn't triggering properly.

When I try and use the other Deadliest Catch events, like the Independent Fishers and the Fishing Boats Sunk events, it will not take me to the plot and as far as I can tell, the event effect does not occur. If any other modders have some suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I'm also working on a couple new ideas and if I can the triggers figured out, I hope to have an update next weekend.

I've quickly looked over the files, and I noticed for the "Fishing Boats Sunk" event, the bShowPlot is set to 0. Although, the "Independent Fishers" event is set to 1, so if both don't show up, then that is kind of weird... Also, you didn't set bOwnPlot to 1 for the "fishing boats sunk" event - is there a reason why?

Also, I'm at least done with the text files for my events, so once I finished coding the actual events themselves, I'll send them over to you, somehow. :)

EDIT:

Also, forgot to ask you - hows it going with those series events? I imagine they can't be too difficult, no? :D

Alright, I think I may have figured out what *may* be wrong (because I've been seeing the same thing with some of my events).

In the EventTriggerInfos.xml, the iNumPlotsRequired (the one directly above bShowPlot) should be 1.

I.e., something like this:

<iNumBuildings>0</iNumBuildings>
<iNumBuildingsGlobal>0</iNumBuildingsGlobal>
<iNumPlotsRequired>1</iNumPlotsRequired>
<bOwnPlot>1</bOwnPlot>

<iPlotType>-1</iPlotType>
<FeaturesRequired/>
<TerrainsRequired/>
<ImprovementsRequired>
<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_FISHING_BOATS</ImprovementType>

If I'm reading the event modding guide correctly, the iNumPlotsRequired needs to be set to 1 if you have an event concerning a plot. I quote:

iNumPlotsRequired- is a number. Should be set to 1 for triggers that require a plot that meets specific conditions. See below for tags that specify these conditions.

I haven't tested it yet, and I probably won't until tomorrow, but I hope maybe that could be it. :)

I've quickly looked over the files, and I noticed for the "Fishing Boats Sunk" event, the bShowPlot is set to 0. Although, the "Independent Fishers" event is set to 1, so if both don't show up, then that is kind of weird... Also, you didn't set bOwnPlot to 1 for the "fishing boats sunk" event - is there a reason why?

Also, I'm at least done with the text files for my events, so once I finished coding the actual events themselves, I'll send them over to you, somehow. :)

EDIT:

Also, forgot to ask you - hows it going with those series events? I imagine they can't be too difficult, no? :D

Of course not! :D

I think that discrepancy arises from when I was testing whether or not the bShowPlot tag was part of the problem. Now that you mention it, I am 90% sure the issue is with the iNumPlotsRequired and bOwnPlot tags. This is perfect evidence as to why 2 AM modding is not always a great idea. :)

I also have never seen Promising General, Loyalty Tests, or Expensive Habits trigger for me, the player, naturally, although the AI has gotten them a few times. I consider it a little more strange because I have intentionally played in a way to make sure the triggers would be valid for my Civ, and enough games have gone by that I'm starting to get suspicious (these are some that I put together last December). As a personal playtesting rule, I always check triggers with the Python console, and then play through several games until they show up, the idea being that I should see them happen without me forcing it at some point.

My planned update for this weekend isn't quite ready to go, so I'll probably roll it into the next weekend, which will contain the bugfixes for the fishing events and hopefully a few new ones (I'm working on some historical flair--one related to the Union Carbide disaster in Bhopal and another on the Magna Carta). The delay also gives me a chance to gather more feedback from the players on the events already out there--are there any that you feel are just too crushing, or just too good?

With a little unexpected free time here today, I decided to post a mid-week update of what will be included in v1.1:
  • Bugfixes for event triggers in Levittown, Independent Fishers, Fishing Boats Sunk, and Overfishing. These should trigger properly now.
  • Initial release of events 42-44 (Silkworm Going Extinct, Naval Proximity AAA Fuses, National Anthem).
  • Adjusted the AI weight values so the AI will be more intelligent in picking which event option to take when presented with more than one.
  • Adjusted the probability and weight of a handful of events (Famous Doctor, Promising General, a few others).
The AI weight values were particularly bugging me--it was causing the AI to make some really stupid decisions. I plan to put together another handful of events here before posting the updated code this weekend.

I've just posted the update (sorry, board games always distract me on the weekends :)).

An additional event, Corrupt Senate, was added to the release. The link in the first post has been updated, and a full list of changes is under the Previous Versions heading.

Cheers!

More info (v1.0):

29. Labor Unions (triggered for player): seems to work fine
34. President Assassinated (triggered for AI): seems to work fine
38. Banana Blight (triggered for player): seems to work fine (maybe set bShowPlot to 1, affected plot not revealed :()
39. Game migration (triggered for player): seems to work fine
41. Cake Flour (triggered for player): missing TXT_KEY_EVENT_CAKE_FLOUR (must be a typo, change TXT_KEY_EVENT_TRIGGER_CAKE_FLOUR to TXT_KEY_EVENT_CAKE_FLOUR ;)

Hey, Anti, I should have my events ready within a few days when I find the time to finish them. And again, how's the "series" events going?

Top Bottom