Cannot locate settings folder???

CHEESE!

On a long nostalgia trip
Hello. I have been combing through posts to find this, but none pertain exactly to my problem.

I just downloaded BAT 2.2, all happy. I start uo a game and horribly, in the 'message' box I get this repeated message:

BugOptions: Cannot locate settings folder

which blocks out all ingame messages (like 'The villagers have provided you with a map!').

This is a frustrating issue, especially as BUG has always worked for me, as has BAT 2.1. What am I doing wrong??

Ah, I see that the ZIP is missing the Info and UserSettings folders. If you still have the BAT Mod 2.1 folder in your Recycle Bin, you can restore them and move them to the BAT Mod 2.2 folder. If not, create this folder hierarchy:

Code:
Mods/
    BAT Mod 2.2/
        [B]UserSettings/[/B]
            [B]CustomDomAdv/[/B]

Just make those bold directories--BUG should fill in the rest with default values.

Thanks, it works now.

Problem, though: CTD when I try to exit to main menu. Why? This is really frustrating when I have to start a new game EVERY TIME I want to quit.

I don't get the crash when I exit to the MAIN MENU with BAT 2.2. Did you install it to its own folder in the Mods folder?

Fuyu, where did you get that? I'll try it.

That's from BUG's code repository (Subversion), the place where we store the source code for BUG.

Make sure you have your BTS/BAT shortcut set to run as Administrator if you're using Vista or Win7.

I have the same/similar problems.

a.) after initial BAT installation the CDA screen does not write a TXT file when saving it, even when I manually created those sub dirs. I could partially solve this by copying the files linked in by Fuyu. Now I can save and read. I don#t know how it SHOULD be, but CDA is not abel to create an inital file by its own

b.) when going back to desktop or going bacj to mainmenu I got a CTD. Don't know how to fix it.

I'm running Win7 64 bit and start the game as Admin. Maybe the problem is related to the su&%ing "steam" version only?

Is it not supposed to be possible to have a mod installed in the main Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\<mod name> folder while keeping the UserSettings in Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\<mod name>\UserSettings\ ?
At least that's what RevDCM's installer believes, which I use for my mod too. However UserSettings on that My Games subfolder doesn't get found. What am I doing wrong?

This is the one place where the value in CvModName.modName is used. You must have a folder with that name in My Games or My Games / BTS or BTS (where EXE is) folder. Inside that you must have a UserSettings folder.

For CDA it requires another CustDomAdv folder inside the UserSettings folder. The main problem with letting CDA create the file on its own is that it will be very minimal, like 5 pages instead of the 10-15 nice pages that Cammagno did.

So look in Assets/Python/Contrib/CvModName.py for the modName variable (near top). Then create a folder with that same name in your My Games folder:

Code:
My Games/
  <modName>/
    UserSettings/
      CustDomAdv/
        CustDomAdv.txt (copied from SVN or Fuyu's or install folder)

I copy mine over from my BUG install in Custom Assets.

CvModName.modName it is then. And since changing that doesn't look like a good idea since I want it to display "BUG Mod" when displaying BUG version numbers etc, I guess I'll just have to create a "BUG Mod" folder for "Better BUG AI" UserSettings.
Heh, maybe after 5 months I finally have an installer that does what it should be doing -_-
Thx

b.) when going back to desktop or going bacj to mainmenu I got a CTD. Don't know how to fix it.

Latest news: I started BAT directly with using the MOD in the civ.ini. As I wanted to check if the CTD appears in the standard BTS, I removed that MOD line, launched standard BTS, started new games, saves the game and quit -> no CTD
Next I added the MOD line in the ini again and did the same stuff with BAT -> no CTD anylonger.
:confused:
Miracles in the MS world

The crash-on-exit-to-main-menu thing has been reported by a few people, but we've never been able to replicate it ourselves. I suspect it's intermittent and may be hardware-related, but I can't hope to solve it if I can't see it happen. :( Safest to exit to desktop instead, though I know that's a PITA.

I too am getting:

BAT Mod 2.2 is the first mod that I have ever downloaded or installed; thus, I don't have access to the missing - Info - and - UserSettings - folders that were apparently in 2.1. Can I get them? If I get them do I just drop them into the BAT Mod 2.2 folder?

Also, please use small words, I don't speak much computerese.

In Windows Explorer go to where you have BTS installed (the application EXE). In there is a folder called Mods. In that a folder called "BAT Mod 2.2". In that folder create a new folder called UserSettings (no space). That should do it.

Crash on ETMM is intermittent- it doesn't happen anymore in my games. All's well.

Top Bottom