A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=360868

^ This problem is happening again in 1.73, and around the exact same time as well. This time, 1763 AD

Is the field hospital still in AND? I take it you're in early industrialism/late renaissance when this happens, right? Check to see if anyone has built the field hospital.

I've played well into the modern age when I install without the health buildings. I'm avoiding any possibility of getting the field hospital, as it was reported as a possible culprit in that particular crash.

Hi,

we are three guys and have 1.73Beta2 installed(Recommend MP). We would to test and play it in MP. We have all RoM 2.91 (MP works)

The others have WinVista and I have WinXP.

They can see their Games in the Lobby but i can't see any games and when I open a Game they didn't see my Game.

When they play one Round the Game has an OOS, but we have no Idea where the Problems are, but we would inform you.

This is a great Modmod. :)

Is the field hospital still in AND? I take it you're in early industrialism/late renaissance when this happens, right? Check to see if anyone has built the field hospital.

I've played well into the modern age when I install without the health buildings. I'm avoiding any possibility of getting the field hospital, as it was reported as a possible culprit in that particular crash.

Yes, it is. I have not built one. I'd definitely assume one of the other civilizations would have built one by this time. How would I go about confirming this, and/or removing the Field Hospital from the game without having to start over to confirm?

I disabled the War prerequisite in the appropriate XML file and now the game has not crashed where it used to.

Though I have to ask... where is the logic in electricity causing NEGATIVE food loafs for windmills and watermills? And how come Military Tradition enables AND obsoletes Commandos?

Good going with the war prereq. I would have just obsoleted the building with battlefield medicine, to avoid building it completely, but your way works well.

That's a bug with promotions. Fixed in the latest beta source, but Afforess hasn't made a package of it yet (that I know of).

With regards to electricity: game balance, more than anything else. It's all very unintuitive.

Hmm. Got a CTD/freeze problem. Seems a bit like the invalid one mentioned in the bug tracker. End of turn, hit enter and everything but the mouse and music freezes (no scrolling). Task manager says Civ IV not responding, and then the Civ iv has stopped working thing comes up. Does repeat on load and retry.

Running 1.70, custom install (but most likely close to standard). Large map, 15 civs. After some revolutions and wiping outs the number is still something like that. I'm in the Nationalism, Economy etc era, other civs lagging far behind.

Several questions before I go through the hole shebang and start logs (which I seem not to fully understand how to do), uploading saves etc.
1. Is this a known bug?
2. If so, is there a known solution?
3. Will upgrading to 1.72 break my savegame?
4. If not, could that solve it?

Thank you for making civ iv the most exiting thing in the world, by the way.

Hmm. Got a CTD/freeze problem. Seems a bit like the invalid one mentioned in the bug tracker. End of turn, hit enter and everything but the mouse and music freezes (no scrolling). Task manager says Civ IV not responding, and then the Civ iv has stopped working thing comes up. Does repeat on load and retry.

Running 1.70, custom install (but most likely close to standard). Large map, 15 civs. After some revolutions and wiping outs the number is still something like that. I'm in the Nationalism, Economy etc era, other civs lagging far behind.

Several questions before I go through the hole shebang and start logs (which I seem not to fully understand how to do), uploading saves etc.
1. Is this a known bug?
2. If so, is there a known solution?
3. Will upgrading to 1.72 break my savegame?
4. If not, could that solve it?

Thank you for making civ iv the most exiting thing in the world, by the way.

Solved it. It was the field hospital. Sorry for thinking page 101 was the last.

With regards to electricity: game balance, more than anything else. It's all very unintuitive.

Well, It also is intuitive, in my mind. Windmill before they now were used to grind wheat and stuff, though now it is used to produce electricity, hence no food bonus. It comes a little earl though. Electric windmill aren't exactly old.

Well, It also is intuitive, in my mind. Windmill before they now were used to grind wheat and stuff, though now it is used to produce electricity, hence no food bonus. It comes a little earl though. Electric windmill aren't exactly old.

<shakes head> Counter-intuitive to me - in that electricity made windmills obsolete, so the things should either disappear, or stay the same but be replaceable by modern farms or something. Yes, we do use windmills today to generate electricity, but the installations tend to be on already-purposed land (such as farmland). In the past, windmills (and watermills) were used to run milling systems of various types, including gristmills (which is where the food bonus obviously comes from). In truth, a windmill/watermill should have more hammers/commerce, as they were the primary form of mechanical power for hundreds of years. The industrial revolution started on water power, after all.

And if you've payed attention to wind-generating technology, you'll know that there are any number of problems relying on wind for power, which means utilities cannot replace generating capacity with windmills, but only supplement when the wind is blowing. As an aside, guess what happens to wind during winter when things get cold? Has to do with physics, and how much energy a gas will (or will not) have depending on temperature. :lol:

Now my tired self needs to sleep, because I can see my English has truly broken down.

<shakes head> Counter-intuitive to me - in that electricity made windmills obsolete, so the things should either disappear, or stay the same but be replaceable by modern farms or something. Yes, we do use windmills today to generate electricity, but the installations tend to be on already-purposed land (such as farmland). In the past, windmills (and watermills) were used to run milling systems of various types, including gristmills (which is where the food bonus obviously comes from). In truth, a windmill/watermill should have more hammers/commerce, as they were the primary form of mechanical power for hundreds of years. The industrial revolution started on water power, after all.

And if you've payed attention to wind-generating technology, you'll know that there are any number of problems relying on wind for power, which means utilities cannot replace generating capacity with windmills, but only supplement when the wind is blowing. As an aside, guess what happens to wind during winter when things get cold? Has to do with physics, and how much energy a gas will (or will not) have depending on temperature. :lol:

Now my tired self needs to sleep, because I can see my English has truly broken down.

Interesting stuff here. Not exactly against what I wrote though. I did agree on the fact that the change is a little early, like I wrote. Though you can't seriously say that those windmills are the standard in post industrial countries today. It's all about the most normal, not that it isn't used at all. Still, this is probably the wrong forum for such a discussion, so I won't answer any more posts relating to it (unless it's moved).

Interesting stuff here. Not exactly against what I wrote though. I did agree on the fact that the change is a little early, like I wrote. Though you can't seriously say that those windmills are the standard in post industrial countries today. It's all about the most normal, not that it isn't used at all. Still, this is probably the wrong forum for such a discussion, so I won't answer any more posts relating to it (unless it's moved).

On the same note but more about the game. You say its about balance. But I can't seriously see removing a yield from the windmill can be a balance. In my opinion, the suck to much to be bothered with, and I only build one or two to please that bloody blue-blinking thing. Isn't it better to leace food and commerce to farms and towns and leave the hills for production. Especially with all the extra production gained from shaft mines and roads.

SO basic question: In what conditions is the windmill a wise choice to build?

On the same note but more about the game. You say its about balance. But I can't seriously see removing a yield from the windmill can be a balance. In my opinion, the suck to much to be bothered with, and I only build one or two to please that bloody blue-blinking thing. Isn't it better to leace food and commerce to farms and towns and leave the hills for production. Especially with all the extra production gained from shaft mines and roads.

SO basic question: In what conditions is the windmill a wise choice to build?

On desert hills when you need food. Which is kinda weird, considering that it would be better all told to build some kind of extreme irrigation system (look towards what the Israelis did). But I imagine windmills can represent some kind of system like that, if you squint really, really hard.

I think it has everything to do with game immersion, which is an important element of gameplay. And this thread is about feedback as well as bug reports (although strictly speaking windmills should be addressed in RoM, but if Afforess would do something with them in Better RoM, that would be nice).

But to avoid polluting this thread too much, I'm putting my response in spoiler tags:

Spoiler :

As for my point, I was trying to infer (but should have stated - unfortunately my brain was shutting down for the night rapidly) that wind-generating systems in practice may be a revenue stream for the owners, but only because they are a net loss generator for utilities and consumers (subsidies make it economic to run one, but guess who pays). They can't even be said not to pollute less than fuel-based systems, because you need to include the gas/diesel that is used in maintaining such a distributed system (not to mention manufacture and assembly - those things don't stay standing up and working all on their own). And let's not forget about how many birds die in the blades. Not such a big issue with the older, dutch style windmills, as they did not rotate as fast, and they used sails for blades, so birds were less likely to hit, and if hit, had a chance of bouncing off and going on their way.

It does make the "environmental" energy lobby happy (although real environmentalists who aren't only out to make a buck on taxpayers have been turning away from it) ; so of course every politician is doing it now (except where they might get in the way of their scenic horizon, then it's NIMBY all the way).

To get back to strictly game feedback, making them generate anything in the age of electricity seems odd. And then creating wind-farms that don't generate electricity but generate commerce? Again, very strange and counter-intuitive to me.

And while were at it, how come plastics don't generate lots and lots of pollution? They definitely have an adverse affect on both the environment, people and animals. Particularly when used in situations where aged plastic is used with food or other systems that make it possible to inhale/ingest any free-radicals they give off (even though we're only now learning about the effect, it would definitely be there when plastics were first introduced).

How come the AI keeps going into anarchy in the mid-late game. It seems that they research half the tech, then go into anarchy, get out after like 10 turns, then finish the tech, and go back into anarchy. They can never keep up with the tech race because of this "bug".

sry 4 doublepost

The AI sometimes tries to give bad deals to the human. For example, if they wantto trade a expansive tech which is worth way more than the 860 :gold: they have in their treasury, it will give it as a "deal" together with world map, maybe.
Try to ask for other deals, including your techs and his units, sometimes you get a offer from AI like: a tech, 2 catapults and the map + 796 gold. Now you know you got the best (most fair) deal as the limit of the AIs 860 :gold: is nearly reached but just not yet. In one case the AI wanted to cheat me once again: it tried to give 0 :gold: on top of his con deal!
(I managed to get a fair deal in the end, including 15 of his units and some cash and older technology from mine)

Spoiler :

On my espionage screen there was a negative sum on the side of the Native Americans, have a look:

Spoiler :

Another thing I saw is a "error" message about something like the "Revolution handler". Afforess, maybe you can interpret it correctly...

Spoiler :

I don't know if this has come up yet, but the Town Well building offers +1 healthiness and takes away 3 healthiness upon being built. Also, the tobacco plantation sometimes appears to be an imprint or shadow on the ground and not a building, at least it happened once.

Just a silly question for those who know how, how would I disable the Field Hospital without disabling anything else, this would solve my game hang's I think?

Either make the field hospital not require war or make it obsolete with the same tech it becomes available. To make it not require war, open the file "...\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\Assets\Modules\Hydro\HealthHealth_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml". There you can find the entry for the field hospital; just do a search for:

HTML:
<bPrereqWar>1</bPrereqWar>
and change the 1 to 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom