SGOTM 11 - One Short Straw

There will be no need to pop borders as all the relevant tiles are already in our borders. We probably won't have enough spare worker turns to farm any tiles there. Given this, for the city sizes this city is liable to grow, either city would be able to work tiles with 2+ food, however 1E gets the granary slightly sooner, making it the max food site.

Anyone there? Izzy demanding to cancel deals with toku... I'm for declining... you have about 20 mins to give your opinion ;)

That would bring her down to +8, with hopefully 1 or 2 more positives by the end... I guess it's ok. :dunno: What deals do we currently have with him? I completely forget.

I got theo so we can expect some more +ves with her. Imo not so much the deals (a few gold and commerce per turn) but the diplo is the issue. Accepting might make him decide to go after us which would make logistics much more difficult (we then have closed borders). The risk to lose a vital galleon with 3 GPs loaded by a wave of caravels would be desasterous. IMO avoiding this risk just by getting -1 with izzy is acceptable.

I think he's way more likely to go for either Sal or Justin than us - worse diplo, weaker and LT. Doesn't really matter... Go ahead and decline, if you like.

Gotta run now. Just uploaded the save. Proper report (with pics ;)) tmr. We have our merchant.

Upload log:

Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 460 AD to 625 AD:

Turn 204, 460 AD: Tsongkhapa (Great Prophet) has been born in Seville (Isabella)!

Turn 205, 475 AD: Incense has been founded.
Turn 205, 475 AD: You have discovered Feudalism!
Turn 205, 475 AD: Mikhail Lomonosov (Great Scientist) has been born in Constantinople (Justinian I)!

Turn 206, 490 AD: Buddhism has spread in Rice.
Turn 206, 490 AD: You have trained a Maceman in Sugar. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 206, 490 AD: Isabella has completed The Mahabodhi!

Turn 207, 505 AD: You have discovered Construction!
Turn 207, 505 AD: You have discovered Theology!
Turn 207, 505 AD: You have trained a Maceman in Ivory. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 207, 505 AD: Justinian I has completed The Colossus!
Turn 207, 505 AD: Mehmed II adopts Vassalage!
Turn 207, 505 AD: Jacques Cartier (Great Merchant) has been born in Najran (Saladin)!
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Spearman (4.40) vs Gandhi's Chariot 1 (Bombay) (2.00)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Combat Odds: 99.4%
Turn 207, 505 AD: (Extra Combat: -10%)
Turn 207, 505 AD: (Combat: -100%)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Gandhi's Chariot 1 (Bombay) is hit for 29 (71/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Gandhi's Chariot 1 (Bombay) is hit for 29 (42/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Gandhi's Chariot 1 (Bombay) is hit for 29 (13/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Spearman is hit for 13 (87/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Gandhi's Chariot 1 (Bombay) is hit for 29 (0/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Spearman has defeated Gandhi's Chariot 1 (Bombay)!
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Galley (2.00) vs Gandhi's Trireme 1 (Rice) (3.20)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Combat Odds: 4.4%
Turn 207, 505 AD: (Plot Defense: +10%)
Turn 207, 505 AD: (Class Defense: +50%)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (75/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (50/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (25/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Barbarian's Galley is hit for 25 (0/100HP)
Turn 207, 505 AD: Gandhi's Trireme 1 (Rice) has defeated Barbarian's Galley!

Turn 208, 520 AD: You have discovered Scientific Method!
Turn 208, 520 AD: Confucianism has spread in Incense.
Turn 208, 520 AD: Justinian I adopts Bureaucracy!
Turn 208, 520 AD: Mehmed II has completed Mausoleum of Maussollos!

Turn 209, 535 AD: You have trained a Maceman in Bombay. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 209, 535 AD: Enrico Fermi (Great Scientist) has been born in Marble (Gandhi)!
Turn 209, 535 AD: Tokugawa adopts Bureaucracy!

Turn 210, 550 AD: Buddhism has spread in Dorylaeum.

Turn 211, 565 AD: You have trained a Maceman in Oasis. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 211, 565 AD: Tokugawa has completed The Great Library!

Turn 212, 580 AD: You have trained a Galleon in Two Fish. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 212, 580 AD: You have trained a Maceman in Ivory. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 212, 580 AD: Hinduism has spread in Varanasi.
Turn 212, 580 AD: Saladin adopts Bureaucracy!

Turn 213, 595 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Ivory!
Turn 213, 595 AD: Isabella will trade Horseback Riding
Turn 213, 595 AD: Justinian I will trade Drama
Turn 213, 595 AD: Saladin will trade Horseback Riding
Turn 213, 595 AD: Zara Yaqob will trade Drama
Turn 213, 595 AD: You have trained a Maceman in Sugar. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 213, 595 AD: Isabella adopts Bureaucracy!
Turn 213, 595 AD: Saladin has completed Chichen Itza!

Turn 214, 610 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Ivory!
Turn 214, 610 AD: You have constructed a Observatory in Delhi. Work has now begun on a Buddhist Temple.
Turn 214, 610 AD: You have trained a Maceman in Bombay. Work has now begun on a Maceman.
Turn 214, 610 AD: Vasco da Gama (Great Merchant) has been born in Two Fish (Gandhi)!

Turn 215, 625 AD: The enemy has been spotted near Ivory!
Turn 215, 625 AD: Zara Yaqob has 60 gold available for trade.
Turn 215, 625 AD: Justinian I will trade Copper

Took a quick look. Everything looks good! Toku continues to lead in the population department which is excellent news. Who's taking the game next? Mutineer? Or should I?

Sounds good. Can't look at the save just now.

Barb spear?! How did I miss that s***? I thought I saw most if not all tiles at some point during the TS.

We got Sci Meth before TGL was built. :lol:

IHT (204)
Whales
Set EP on sally
Scientists in marble are turned into merchants
MM per plan, just sending warrior + GPs to 2 fish

T+1
Feudalism becomes available:

Settle incense (granary).

T+2
Successfully spread Buddhism in rice

T+3
Construction becomes available:

IBT
Lose a chariot to a spear… be careful over there :(
Trireme kills a barb galley.

T+4
Nothin’

IBT
Confucianism spreads in incense :(
MoM bidl: Mehmed/Istanbul. Toku now has 360g available.

T+5
SM > Physics (13t at current rate)
Take tokus money for CS. Waited with gifting it as I wanted to get something out of it. Sally still dropped to annoyed…

T+6
Moment of truth… we get… a GS :( So I leave all specs as they are now.

T+7
nuthin’

T+8
Decline izzys request to cancel deals with toku

Barb galley appears near ivory

---

There is no way to the fur (as expected) which renders this galley quite useless :p

edit:

Yeah I was quite surprised... all I heared about was barb axes and spears... well, we'll get maces there and have another chariot. There's at the very least 3 workers there to be captured. I am sending all warriors/GPs/whatever to barbland through sally/toku/just land with one galley sending them from ivory to mainland, one from mainland to AIland and one from AIland to barbland... but that may change with the newly built galleon(s)... Note that I didn't move anything this turn, just checked the GP... I really had to go - but I guess that's ok. I don't see any problem fulfilling the challenges... we have a constant stream of maces that could end up as last-minute happy-police for a few turns (to free up the warriors), all we need now is the UN (and the votes...). Please note that we need but 1 GP to have all GPs we need for our goddess so we could switch to theo quite soon.

The two GS's that are heading over are needed for bulbing purposes. We will want to send later generated GP over to the barb island but we can re-route the logistics to head east instead of west (I'm thinking of upgrading the galley next to ivory).

Marble should be running all scientists at this point. It will not pop another person until way after mass media, so we should just maximize the beaker output from that city now.

The GM needs to head to Mecca soon to keep our cash flow going. The only other big thing is to make sure we pop a GP in Delhi on T+22 (or whatever the count is) before rice does. At that point, we'll know whether we need to continue workshopping Delhi or if we're going to get a lucky break.

Agree with all of that. It's another 12t for the Delhi GP, and we won't know where we stand until then. I'm for playing another TS fairly quickly, so we can evaluate the endgame with full knowledge. Just need to make sure that Rice slows down a touch.

We should find a loaded trade to give Justinian, since there's no trade bonus with him yet.

Where did the barb galley come from? Did it just pass by our seafood?

Delhi:
We can stop one of the Scientists for 5t in the end, without slowing down the 12t timeline. Gives us about +2% odds. Not that it matters much, but may as well?

Two Fish:
Are we gonna run scientists now?

Edit: I thought we were gonna chop the Galleon in Rice... We probably need to upgrade a galley.

Edit2: very, very minor point - but we could shave a turn off LH without losing growth if we work the 1hpt desert oil for 5t in Pataliputra. :lol:

Edit3: We could sell one incense for 3gpt.

Barb galley near ivory is chasing a WB.

Forgot about the chop for the galleon :(

Heading east to get to barb island is faster but I couldn't do it so far due to the lack of galleons available.

IMO we should stop building maces and start some archers + missionaries. I really don't want to lose the game to some crappy roll denying us to spread buddhism to our last city...

Waiting for the galleons to be built and then using ivory as a staging post is actually significantly faster than using the overland route. Combined with the delay in the production of the second galleon we are going to take the barbs cities significantly later as a result, so we will need to reconsider our plan there, especially as we have not managed a worker steal yet.

Do we know where that barb galley near ivory came from? It looks like it should not have spawned

It came from the east, from izzy's land.

Well, using the overland route for GPs and warriors now is fast enough however I agree that the maces will come later, sorry about that. We have 1 galleon now that can pick up maces and we can upgrade the ivory-galley so we have our 2 galleons we need right now. Chariot is ready to be shipped to barbland in one of justinians cities, as soon as the first maces arrive. Be careful with barb galleys there, they keep spawning there, the trireme must keep watch until the galleons arrive.

Ok, here's the PPP (rough)

* Spread Buddhism to our cities - there are 6 more cities that we need to spread Buddhism to, eventually 8 with the two barb cities. I think Delhi will have to build some missionaries soon.
* bring ~6 maces and a chariot to Barbland to capture cities and track down workers
* bring some units near sally in case we DOW him (if we need more votes?)
* shift around specs as per mdy's plan
* techs Physics (bulb one GS on T+2 for 2655 beakers) -- electricity
* trade for any tech and gold there is

MM (heavily adopted from mdy's plan)
Spoiler :

Ivory:
mace--mace--missionary--missionary--chariot--missionary--missionary
T+3 mace
T+8 mace
T+13 missionary for barb island
T+16 missionary for barb island
T+19 chariot
missionary T+22 (for Oasis)
missionary T+25 (for Sugar)
then wealth/research/ spare missionaries for barb island

Upgrade galleon next to ivory. Set sail in T+8 heading east with 3 maces.

Rice:
Upgrade galley to galleon and send east. Picks up maces on the way and heads to barb island.
Continues slow building galleon then swaps to a missionary followed by wealth.
Needs to slow GPP by one turn for Delhi to overtake it (work coast + grass farm).

2 Fish:
Swap to all scientists + engineer.
Finish current mace, then wealth.

Oasis:
mace--mace--chariot--wealth

Bombay:
mace*

Sugar:
mace*

Marble:

T+11 galleon
Build missionary--wealth

Gold:
lighthouse--wealth

Capital:
temple (change to cottages)--missionary--missionary--maces (if religion spread good)
finish mace if time before starting U.N.

Incense:
granary--lighthouse

Deer:
lighthouse--granary

GPP
Spoiler :

T+11 - Delhi pops a GE. We need to speed up Delhi by a turn for this.
T+17 - rice pops (hopefully) a GS. We need to speed it up by a turn to beat out 2-fish here.
T+22 - 2-fish pops our final GP. Doesn't really matter since it's likely a VC GP but has some engineer points as a back-up for Delhi (we'd use Delhi's GP as the VC GP in that case).

I've tried to keep it simple as I think my set is pretty straight forward (and hopefully lucky). The dudes on the west continent will continue walking to Justinian's port city since they're halfway there as it is. I think we'll know for sure what strategy we need to take once we get Delhi's GP on T+11 (invade Saladin or not, etc.).

GM goes to Mecca and then the remaining galleons all head east. Hopefully we can set up a galleon chain to the barb island just in case we need it. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm right but can someone confirm that GP's are generated from cities in order of founding? I think if two cities are set to produce a GP on the same turn, the earlier founded city will win.

Looks good.

A couple of very minor points:

T+11 - Delhi pops a GE. We need to speed up Delhi by a turn for this.
T+17 - rice pops (hopefully) a GS. We need to speed it up by a turn to beat out 2-fish here.

slowing down rice/2 fish actually gives us a slightly higher chance of an engineer than speeding up Delhi/rice.

Upgrade galley to galleon and send east.

Could we use our existing galleon for this and save some gold?

GM goes to Mecca and then the remaining galleons all head east. Hopefully we can set up a galleon chain to the barb island just in case we need it. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm right but can someone confirm that GP's are generated from cities in order of founding? I think if two cities are set to produce a GP on the same turn, the earlier founded city will win.

Your right about the GP's. We will probably need to keep at least 1 galleon near the gold to help the galley with transport, we should be able to set up the galleon chain in time without it. Can we switch to scientists in marble as well?

It looks like we will be able to do at least 2 bulbs, so we could use the scientist from physics to immediately bulb electricity. If we are confident on getting a GG in time it would free up the third scientist to bulb electricity. Maybe we should pre research liberalism in order to keep this option open? Alternatively it would also give us the option of bulbing electricity with the Delhi scientist if we don't get an engineer there.

IIRC, our current best estimate is about T+35 for the win. We could get a Two Fish GP to fur in 8t with logistics tight. So, we don't really need it until T+27. I'm for upping GE odds however much possible.

Top Bottom