The Biggest, Baddest Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

2K Greg

<span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un
I'm just going to go ahead and leave this here:
http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_gdr

Spoiler :
The time has come, Civilization V fans, to reveal to you the biggest, baddest, most awesome unit in Civilization V:

GIANT. DEATH. ROBOT.

I'll let the Civilopedia do the talking:
The "Giant Death Robot" is a giant bipedal mechanical robot armed with a variety of missiles, Gatling gun arms, laser-beam eyes and a deadly kung-fu punch. Although not currently found in the modern battlefield, no doubt across the world governments and evil corporations are secretly developing these metal behemoths even as we speak. When these robots come into service, all of the world's other weaponry will become obsolete, and humanity's fate will be decided by a climactic battle between armies of good and evil Giant Death Robots in the streets of downtown Tokyo (assuming that the giant radioactive monsters don't get us first.)

Combat Strength: 150
Movement: 3
Required Resource: Uranium
Required Tech: Nuclear Fusion
Penalty Attacking Cities
No Defensive Bonuses
Can Move After Attacking
Yeah. I thought you might like that.

My thoughts: PEWPEWPEW
Also: 150 strength O_o
And near-future era confirmed!

I like it...I'm glad the developers want to keep some humor in the series (love the civilopedia article) :)

Looks :cool:.

But this is not the whole civilopedia entry, isn't it?

Nah, this was just the section that normally covers the "real life history" of the item. Most of the entries are longer than that, but since that GDR isn't real (that we know of :think:) it's a bit shorter and more tongue-in-cheek than most ;)

Can we disable this in our game? I'd like it sometimes, but not always.

Nah, this was just the section that normally covers the "real life history" of the item. Most of the entries are longer than that, but since that GDR isn't real (that we know of :think:) it's a bit shorter and more tongue-in-cheek than most ;)

Ah, okay, that's good to hear :).

But maybe a note about 1 or 2 points of the technical development, e.g. the raytheon exoskeleton, would be nice ;).

Humor is one thing, but this is infeasible. The advantage that mechs are supposed to have is that they are more mobile then a tank or tank drone. Make it a slightly more powerful tank, with "treats all squares as road" or something. Not this.

At least it has "No Defensive Bonuses", so that it's basically cavalry. That makes sense. Except that it makes it a role upgrade of a gunship. So in the post-modern age you'd shift from building gunships to building these. That seems strange.

EDIT: Looking at the speed of most modern unit's, it's not cavalry.

Can we disable this in our game? I'd like it sometimes, but not always.

It's an official part of the game, and as such considered to be part of the balance, so just removing it might cause late-game balance issues.

That being said, removing it shouldn't be a difficult task for a modder.

Yeah, I'd also like to know if it can be disabled. I know the rest of the community loves it because of some in-joke or whatever, but I'd rather all games of Civ V not lead to some cartoony joke units.

EDIT: Ninjad by Greg. Well... =/ I'm sure some modder can replace it with something less ridiculous at least =/

At least it has "No Defensive Bonuses", so that it's basically cavalry. That makes sense. Except that it makes it a role upgrade of a gunship. So in the post-modern age you'd shift from building gunships to building these. That seems strange.

The GDR is not an outright replacement for any unit, because of its Uranium requirement.

Aren't giant robots being researched right now anyway though?

Japan has entire schools dedicated to making real giant robots.

It's not too ridiculous.

Removing the giant death robot will cause balance issues? I always thought adding 150 strength GDR would cause balance issues!! This future era sounds mind boggling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom