The Citynamemanager-development thread

I'm just worried it won't work if you change the code too much...

But if you can give me an example file that I can test I will try it.

I'm just worried it won't work if you change the code too much...
Oh, this will be a total re-haul of the code. That is in fact the whole point. I can't see why it wouldn't work though - Rhye used Python and I use the same Python methods. The implementation (the logic of it) is different however, and it will thus work somewhat differently. But once again - its supposed to work better and not worse.

But if you can give me an example file that I can test I will try it.
The question is whether you wanna test this new setup yourself (to rule out any mistake from my part) or not. Because then I could just convert the latest version of your CityNameManager and not use the default one.

And if you choose to use it there won't be any need to re-enter all the additions you guys have already done... See the new thread for more details - and be sure to voice any concerns that you may have!

Baldyr, now I'm totally convinced that your system will work much better for further development!

I'm looking forward to see your first version finished and see it work for the mod.

If you need any assistance, please say so.

I'm updating CityNameManager for RAND myself... although it's a much bigger project. I'll perhaps use your work if you don't mind ^^

Was it a mistake to use the Windows XP Notepad, perhaps?

not if you really used Notepad, if instead you did my same mistake you used WordPad. Since it was developed by Microsoft, it is stupid in that it doesn't follow standards. So after checking and re-checking without finding any syntax error in the file, I open it with Notepad and what do I find? WordPad can't even handle "tabs" in a proper way!

Baldyr, now I'm totally convinced that your system will work much better for further development!

I'm looking forward to see your first version finished and see it work for the mod.

If you need any assistance, please say so.
So you see nothing obvious missing from the raw data posted, then?

In that case I'll post guidelines for processing the data shortly.

You guys need to figure out who does what, because several people really can't do the same data at the same time. That will only result in a total mess...

nody, you are head designer then? Divide the workload amongst the people who are willing to help get the data into shape. Or you just do it yourself and post any questionable issues for others to have their say. I really can't force anyone to do anything.

But just wait for the "go", ok?

I'm updating CityNameManager for RAND myself... although it's a much bigger project. I'll perhaps use your work if you don't mind ^^
I have no idea how that would work, but the data will available...

I could help for Dutch city names but I don't know how to do it.
Soon anyone will be able to help out - nody permitting. ;) Watch out for guidelines or requests for help.

edit: I now realize this is the other thread... :rolleyes: Redirect.

People, which do you favor, Khabarovsk (Russian) or Boli (Chinese), as the default city name for the plot (112, 54) and nearby?

The region is currently controlled by Russia and thus the current names is Khabarovsk.
Nevertheless, the Chinese were earlier to find and settle there (well, Jurchens though).

And, in general, which do you think is more important for choosing the default name, early settlement or current control?

---

BTW, should we have a separate thread for debating / voting for default city names?

Baldyr, there's something I still don't understand from your example on the subforum.

What we have here is 3 different New Orleans tiles - (22, 43), (23, 42) and (23, 43). This is redundant (but won't brake the system as such) and we only need one New Orleans tile.

If there are only names for one tile, what happens when founding a city in either of the other two?

BTW I support completely the default names.

No, because there can't be more than 1 entry per tile.

Some tiles can have different names with different re-names, like Nouvelle Orléans and Nueva Iberia is on the same tile, but both have a unique French and Spanish (re)name.

As far as can tell: In Baldyrs system Nueva Iberia doesn't exist anymore if it's conquered by any other civ or isn't renamed anymore if it's conquered by for example England (New Iberia).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Baldyr, there's something I still don't understand from your example on the subforum.

What we have here is 3 different New Orleans tiles - (22, 43), (23, 42) and (23, 43). This is redundant (but won't brake the system as such) and we only need one New Orleans tile.

If there are only names for one tile, what happens when founding a city in either of the other two?
Well, I guess I'm glad you asked. (It has been addressed before, but I understand if this is getting confusing for everyone.)

There is a feature in the new City Name Manager code (you can check it out if you want) that checks all adjacent tiles if no default name is found. This is equivalent to Rhye's multi-tile city locations on the city name maps. So we only need to most correct tile entry for each historical city - the adjacent tiles will still have the city name as a backup if no entry exists in the city name map - or in the dynamic city name change data.

No, because there can't be more than 1 entry per tile.
Basically, you need to tell me what you need. I'm guessing here.

Some tiles can have different names with different re-names, like Nouvelle Orléans and Nueva Iberia is on the same tile, but both have a unique French and Spanish (re)name.

As far as can tell: In Baldyrs system Nueva Iberia doesn't exist anymore if it's conquered by any other civ or isn't renamed anymore if it's conquered by for example England (New Iberia).

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm having a hard time understanding your question, but I'm guessing you struggle with my explanations also.

But my code should be able to basically do what Rhye's code already does, this is the premise. (The difference being that my code takes no notice of what the current name of a city is. It only looks at the tile.) When I did the actual code I realized that the only real options was to check the original founder of the city when it came to exceptions. So if a dynamic city name change is restricted to one previous owner only, then it doesn't matter who actually owned the city - but rather who built it in the first place. So a city will always remain Chinese in origin if it was built by China. Even if the city would actually be owned by the British or the Japanese.

I guess it could be possible to do it the more obvious way also, but that would involve adding code in the CvRFCEventHandler.py file. So this would be a 2 file mod then.

My question is: Can you code it so that Nouvelle Orléans (French) will become Nueva Orleans if acquired by Spain and Nueva Iberia (Spanish) will become Nouvelle Ibérie if acquired by France?

I understand they both have the same tile.

This is not the only exception.

Would this do it for you?
Code:
(22, 43): { iDefault:'Nouvelle Orléans', [COLOR="Red"]iFrance:(iSpain:'Nouvelle Ibérie')[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]iSpain:'Nueva Orleans'[/COLOR], iPortugal:'Nova Orleães', iNetherlands:'New Orleans', iVikings:'New Orleans', iEngland:'New Orleans', iGermany:'New Orleans', iAmerica:'New Orleans' },
Other than that, I'm still not sure what exactly you mean. But perhaps it doesn't matter? :p

So...

iFrance (iSpain:'.....')

iSpain in this line means if Spain was previous owner then the name for France will be '.....'?

I'm afraid that is not the solution, because Spain can have Nueva Orléans (conquered from France) and France renaming it to Nouvelle Ibérie would be ridicilous.

You are missing something here. Who founded the city originally? (In your hypothetical example.) Because that is what counts - not who takes the city from whom. A French city captured by Spain is still a French city as far as my code is concerned. (This was actually the only way I was able to do it, so take it or leave it.)

When I play as the Dutch I always make up names (they don't have to make sense; translations neither do in real life in Belgium there are several examples of that), like Marseille => Maarzele, Orléans => Aureliaan, Bordeaux => (haven't found a suitable one; I usually just type in Bordooi).
Good thing you can modify your city names; I certainly had fun making up Latin names with my Romans.

When I play as the Dutch I always make up names (they don't have to make sense; translations neither do in real life in Belgium there are several examples of that), like Marseille => Maarzele, Orléans => Aureliaan, Bordeaux => (haven't found a suitable one; I usually just type in Bordooi).
Good thing you can modify your city names; I certainly had fun making up Latin names with my Romans.

Here's an idea:

You should found the capital 1 SW of Amsterdam (Rotterdam) and change it to Antwerpen.
Then change the leadername to Leopold I.

And during the game conquer Mbanza Kongo and found some cities east of it.

Maybe I will do that sometime, although I'm Dutch, I'm also part Belgisch (Vlaamse grootvader) and I don't like Hollanders from the west very much...

I was born and rised in Brabant, which is also a province of Belgium, right?

Top Bottom