Subdue Animals mod for RoM

The mod may give you some bonuses against the animals. AND seems to only grant the free promotions when a unit has performed especially well in a fight--so if this mod enhances their performance against animals, I can see you getting free promotions easier.

The "Field Promotions" feature of AND can be turned off in the BUG screen. You can get there by clicking on the bug-shaped icon in the upper left corner of your screen when playing AND.

I hadn't noticed the documentation about Subdue Animals interfering with some AND features, but I happened upon one that was a deal-breaker for me, unfortunately. I can't seem to get the Equestrians Guild to function when the two are combined. I love having a chance to get a Horse resource in the early game, but frankly if I have to choose between that or having access to the Equestrian's Guild, I have to go with the latter. It was a hard decision to make though. My kids and I have really enjoyed hunting the animals in the early game, and we'll miss those features. Thanks DH for a great mod. If you ever get it to work with the Equestrian's Guild, we'll be really excited.

The mod may give you some bonuses against the animals. AND seems to only grant the free promotions when a unit has performed especially well in a fight--so if this mod enhances their performance against animals, I can see you getting free promotions easier.

The "Field Promotions" feature of AND can be turned off in the BUG screen. You can get there by clicking on the bug-shaped icon in the upper left corner of your screen when playing AND.

Aha! Thanks, that's that mystery solved! I didn't notice it in AND's feature list. There does seem to be something about Subdue's creatures that trigger it extremely often. It seems somewhat annoying, so I'll turn it off for now. I hope that doesn't break something else.

I believe that SA is one of the BEST mod's in the beginning of a game, it is so enhancing and waaaay more fun to play with it. Infact i never play any game without it, the Militia mod, Espionage mod, and Capture Slaves.

Also, I was wondering, does the AI take advantage much of the extra options?

Forgot to answer this, it was 2am, - yes the AI uses some of the buildings.

Mostly when I get the auto promotion from SA it gives the unit a promotion that improves its chances of subduing animals. Which is ideal for the animal units ;)

I don't play with BetterRoM any more because I feel it would be better called NotRoM. It is too different from RoM and less balanced IMHO.

Edit: the only part that my mods don't play nicely with for sure is the BuildingUpgarde mod. It still plays fine with just BetterRoM as far as I know, I just haven't done full testing.

This mod does not change any bonuses against animals, nor does it change the stats of the animals. It does add more types of animals. It does not change the frequency of animals occurring.

I hadn't noticed the documentation about Subdue Animals interfering with some AND features, but I happened upon one that was a deal-breaker for me, unfortunately. I can't seem to get the Equestrians Guild to function when the two are combined. I love having a chance to get a Horse resource in the early game, but frankly if I have to choose between that or having access to the Equestrian's Guild, I have to go with the latter. It was a hard decision to make though. My kids and I have really enjoyed hunting the animals in the early game, and we'll miss those features. Thanks DH for a great mod. If you ever get it to work with the Equestrian's Guild, we'll be really excited.

I have not tested against Guilds but I can't get them to work "correctly" in base RoM or AND so I did not bother. I will have to add that to my list of problems.

Looks like I will need to put my mods back to smaller addons rather than just one big addon :(

Edit I had a quick look at the Equestrian guild XML just to see if the problem was a simple one where both mod used the same name for something. It was not the case so looks like a bit of delving is needed.

New version contains new buildings and animals. Animals which are killed now provide a small amount of food and hammers in the nearest city.

This works well in RoM 2.92. I have not tested it yet in 1.74 but it seems to work fine in 1.75.

Prehistoric beta testers note in Assets/Modules/DancingHoskuld/SubdueAnimals there is a compressed file zzPrehistoric.7z. This needs to be extracted into the SubsueAnimals folder where it will create a zzPrehistoric folder. It basically moves many buildings earlier in the new tech tree.

New version contains new buildings and animals. Animals which are killed now provide a small amount of food and hammers in the nearest city.

This works well in RoM 2.92. I have not tested it yet in 1.74 but it seems to work fine in 1.75.

Prehistoric beta testers note in Assets/Modules/DancingHoskuld/SubdueAnimals there is a compressed file zzPrehistoric.7z. This needs to be extracted into the SubsueAnimals folder where it will create a zzPrehistoric folder. It basically moves many buildings earlier in the new tech tree.

OK, i am REALLY liking the NEW look and especially the new info and what it does, a very very fine job:goodjob: This is one of the best modmod's yet.

Only reason i am double posting is to make sure you read this, sorry, otherwise i would have just EDIT

Anyways, now that the Hunter is part of the barbarian entourage, i had in the early SA i did (when Wardogs were in) they could subdue them because of the UnitCombat-Animal. Are you thinking that could be possible also with the Hunter rather than Recon:confused:

Only reason i am double posting is to make sure you read this, sorry, otherwise i would have just EDIT

Anyways, now that the Hunter is part of the barbarian entourage, i had in the early SA i did (when Wardogs were in) they could subdue them because of the UnitCombat-Animal. Are you thinking that could be possible also with the Hunter rather than Recon:confused:

:confused:Sorry I don't quite understand what you are getting at. I admit I was up late reading and have not had my morning coffee yet. "barbarian entourage"? The hunter is a recon unit.

If you are asking how I was going to handle making SA work with the wild (IMHO) changes made to RoM then what I am working on is having a bunch of "automatic WoC patches" in the XML using the AndDependencyTypes. So for example the main XML would be for RoM but the patch XML would be for Prehistoric AND

eg: RoM
Code:
		<BuildingInfo>
			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_DOG_KENNEL</BuildingClass>
			<Type>BUILDING_DOG_KENNEL</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DOG_KENNEL</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DOG_KENNEL_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_BUILDING_DOG_KENNELL_STRATEGY</Strategy>
			<Advisor>ADVISOR_MILITARY</Advisor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_DOG</ArtDefineTag>
			<PrereqTech>TECH_ANIMAL_HUSBANDRY</PrereqTech>
			<iCost>-1</iCost>

eg: extra bit for Prehistoric AND
Code:
		<BuildingInfo>
			<BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_DOG_KENNEL</BuildingClass>
			<Type>BUILDING_DOG_KENNEL</Type>
			<AndDependencyTypes>
                            <AndDependencyType>UNIT_WAR_DOG</AndDependencyTypes>
                        </AndDependencyTypes>

Both XML files are in the same module with the correct load order the patches to versions is automatic. The example above is rough, it removes the whole building whereas it can be more subtle and I can just remove the bonus to animal units if that is the way I go.

Afforess also has something that can be used to switch things on and off based on mods but I have not investigated it. I hope to use that to put the horse resource back in if the current game does not include Guilds.

Is this what you are asking about?

Not really, let me see here:hmm:

The Hunter never used to show up as a "barbarian." (Hence the word entourage, meaning a part of the group of)

And in the OLD SA i had, Wardogs could "subdue" all "UnitCombat-Animal" units in the game because it was in-essence an animal unit itself.

So if you made the Hunter from a UnitCombat-Recon to UnitCombat-Animal, you could also do the same and subdue other Hunters when you fight and win also.

I hope this is simpler:confused:

EDIT: I just looked and the Hawk is missing? Intentional?

Not really, let me see here:hmm:

The Hunter never used to show up as a "barbarian." (Hence the word entourage, meaning a part of the group of)

And in the OLD SA i had, Wardogs could "subdue" all "UnitCombat-Animal" units in the game because it was in-essence an animal unit itself.

So if you made the Hunter from a UnitCombat-Recon to UnitCombat-Animal, you could also do the same and subdue other Hunters when you fight and win also.

I hope this is simpler:confused:

EDIT: I just looked and the Hawk is missing? Intentional?

I have always had barbarian hunters at my gates. Maybe it is a game speed thing since I mostly play snail.

I don't have special code for animal units (UnitCombat-Animal) only recon. Animal units have the same chance as any other unit at subduing animals. I was thinking warrior should have the same chance as recon.

Subduing other units is what slavery is about isn't it?

hawk has gone, for now, while I figure out how to or if it should be part of the exploration unit upgrade chain.

I have always had barbarian hunters at my gates. Maybe it is a game speed thing since I mostly play snail.

hawk has gone, for now, while I figure out how to or if it should be part of the exploration unit upgrade chain.

OK, i see, i never play anything higher (usually) than Epic:hammer2:, mainly Normal, cause thats really all i do is testing.

New version for AND 1.75 and Prehistoric Beta - I have not tested it in RoM 2.92 yet.

Fixes problems with AND removing war dogs and a minor reporting error when a unit was killed.

I need to put language support in to the python and then I can merge all the XML files into one set to help reduce load times.

OK got up to around turn 70 and (i have rar'ed the HAWK by the way) but the Hunter cant carry it?

Also is it really necessary to have all those animals in the same stack, its just a PERSONAL thing for me, i really really dislike units more than three, but again thats just me.:rolleyes:

EDIT: OK i just found out why, sorry, i can fix it.

Spoiler :
Code:
<!--SpecialCargo>SPECIALUNIT_BIRD</SpecialCargo>
            <DomainCargo>DOMAIN_AIR</DomainCargo>
            <iCargo>1</iCargo-->

Just wondering if the Hunter is intended to be at a cost of so much higher than other units? Turn times for other units 5-6 Hunter 18 (on Marathon): (pic 1

And if your going to build a Gov 1 & 2, but is the Culture really worth it that low, or wait for the Carnival to get a better culture? (pic 2

Just wondering if the Hunter is intended to be at a cost of so much higher than other units? Turn times for other units 5-6 Hunter 18 (on Marathon): (pic 1

And if your going to build a Gov 1 & 2, but is the Culture really worth it that low, or wait for the Carnival to get a better culture? (pic 2

Yes it needs to be reduced in cost but not by too much, and you need those hunters to capture some of the more shy animals. ;)

Depends, the Gov 1 & 2 reduce revolutions, although I think I am doing it civ wide rather than just locally.

I have fixed the problem where a building giving a resource would break Guilds and Corporations that consumed the same resource. I need to do one more test.

New version out - see first post.

- Fixes problem with guilds and corporations.
- More animals including sea creatures. Although you should never be able to attack or be attacked by the giant squid.

I think this just about finishes the mod, until someone comes up with graphics for some of the units.

Not: If you don't like them then to remove the suspect units just delete the GraphicallyChallengedUnits folder.

I had some disturbing AI behaviour with Hunter units that I was able to resolve changing some XML values. I play on RoM-AND-NWA 1.75b, Monarch, RoM_Terra, Marathon, Gigantic.

If an AI got the hunting lodge early It would rush Hunters against nearby civs. The Hunters could not take cities but any unit in the clear was killed. It was frustrating to face an army that was 50% stronger and twice as fast as anything else. And there is no early game counter for Recon units.

I didn't think this was what the hunter unit was designed for. In Subdue_Animals_CIV4UnitINfos.xml I changed the Hunter Power to 2, and raised the AnimalCombat to 150. This keeps the strength against animals the same, and I have not had a Hunter rush since I made the change. Sometimes my hawk will show an AI Hunter in the open, where [I think] it belongs.

And this is an awesome modmod, modpack, whatever. The opening game in Prehistoric is quite interesting now with my scouts hunting to subdue and my spearmen hunting to kill.

Top Bottom