Anyone else sad they won't play V on release?

The funny thing is that you'll just have to watch other enjoying the game, and suffer for your stubbornness.
Nah, the funny thing will be when these same people do get it, play it, enjoy it and come here to post about it.

You can hate Steam as much as you want but since the publisher WILL use some form of DRM you should be happy they chose one that is less intrusive and less restrictive than most. I can understand their apprehension though, I hated Steam... until I tried it and realized it didn't really change anything.

I will play as soon as possible, preloaded already. The question is will I do anything else that day. I may eat if I don't get caught up in the game and forget to but nothing else. ;)

im not sad I see it as a challenge. Basically I cant afford the upgrade, at least I dont value the cost of the parts, so I will try it first at a games cafe. I must travel to get to a games cafe but thats ok. I guess gaming at a games cafe could challenge my perception of how I spend my gaming time. Im sure I will enjoy civ5 and I think the fun I get from trying it will inpire me to better focus on working towards my goals.

Actually its people saying things like 'Its the way it is' and 'Its like that for years so get used to it' that im against.

I know, it's like people complaining about the horse and buggy going away. The Amish actually did something about it.

My parents won't let me get till Christmas :cry:

This line here makes me so happy that when I was growing up and still a child living with my parents, there were not games like there are today that my parents could have told me no, you have to wait until christmas for that. I could easily wait for that new red flyer, or the 5lb chub of veal for christmas, but having to be told by my parents that I have to wait until Christmas for the new Civ (or insert any game that I might want here), I think would be pretty unbearable. So pleased I'm not part of this generation, and actually feel sorry for those that are and that have to wait it out.

Instead I would be told that the new battery driven red fire chief fire truck that was 1/6th scale would have to wait until Christmas.

I guess being part of my generation there are good things, like not having to rely on my parents when I'm 'allowed' to get a game or not.

Sssshhh, don't tell my wife I just spent $49.99 on preordering Civ V:D

Too late, I am City Builders wife and he is caught. I am so mad at him because i spent 59.99 pre-ordering the deluxe version. :mad:

Honey, we really need to talk.

Too late, I am City Builders wife and he is caught. I am so mad at him because i spent 59.99 pre-ordering the deluxe version. :mad:

Honey, we really need to talk.
You're going to need 2 copies anyway to kick his arse in multiplayer, no harm, no foul! (Just make sure he knows it's YOUR soundtrack!)

You're going to need 2 copies anyway to kick his arse in multiplayer, no harm, no foul! (Just make sure he knows it's YOUR soundtrack!)

Mmmm, I'd say, just make sure he knows your his wife.

Oh wait..... I see what I did there :lol:

I wasnt going to buy it because of Steam but I'm not sad..the fanbios will test it for us..and I think they will find it lacking compared to Civ4.

If they're fanboys they'll claim to like it... otherwise they're not fanboys, who pretty much by definition are blinded into liking something regardless.

I think various changes meant to make things easier for the masses will annoy the loyal fanbase and it will not be popular after the honeymoon period..better for us civ4 players as there are some really good ideas that will likely get mod'd into civ 4.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm genuinely looking forward to the big changes because frankly, I find Civ IV so dull and boring now. Combat is so samey and tedious that even if I eventually get bored with V, I won't be going back to IV instead.

I think its is important to note that "firaxis" and whatever that represents these days gave the finger to ~50% of its present customer base with the Steam choice.

I think it's important to note that you've just pulled that percentage out of your arse.

I got a feeling that the Steam/internet generation kiddos they were hoping to replace "us" with wont show..maybe will have a fulcrum shift and civ6 will be single player microfest.

I think the game will be as popular as ever. Even if parts of the userbase have changed.

The only thing for me about steam is that i don't want it going through my computer because i heard that steam can spy on my computer which would be very bad.
I won't be able to get Civ 5 till November because it's my birthday month but you guys have fun with your hexes ill just sit here with my squares.

I'm not a "Steam/internet generation kiddo", and I played all civs since 1, but I'm looking forward to civ5 (I especially like replacing the Civ4 combat mechanics with something much more interesting), and I don't believe that Steam is an evil monster that will eat my soul ;)

So 91 or so civfanatics will cross their arms and pout when the game comes out, and hundreds of thousands of players will buy the game anyway. Take Two will make tons of money from the digital sales without paying for disc pressing or packaging, while we will enjoy another iteration of Civ with the bonuses that come with digital distribution, like cloud save files and discless installations. It's win-win, and everybody is happy. Well almost everybody.

It amuses me when people don't bother to read the thread before posting their opinion. :p

Asked and answered:

Yes, I agree. Forums represent only a small sample of players. My point was that considering this is a Civ-friendly forum the polls show a surprisingly Civ-unfriendly response. 2K has done a fine job of alienating some of their hardest-core Civ supporters - to the point now where they refuse to purchase the next Civ game. That is what you can infer from those numbers.

I call that "lost sales".

You miss an important point: There are far more hard-core civs fans on these forums than not. The percentages don't carry over to the world as a whole, where the vast majority of people who will buy this game have been minimally following this game, let alone posting on forums.

You miss an important point: There are far more hard-core civs fans on these forums than not. The percentages don't carry over to the world as a whole, where the vast majority of people who will buy this game have been minimally following this game, let alone posting on forums.

I agree. But any lost sale is still a lost sale. It is still money that 2K could have made, but didn't.

And what is the value of lost customer loyalty? In my personal case I consider myself to be a hard-core Civ fan. I was planning to buy Civ5 until I posted a question back on July 26 on the first page of 2K's Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ thread (and other places including directly to 2K Greg) and received absolutely no response or reply of any kind about my question. I will now show 2K the same respect that they have shown me and never give them any of my money ever again for any game they are associated with.

I'm just one small example but as I said earlier a lost sale is still a lost sale. I also work nights and have ample free time and spend considerable money on games. :ar15:

I really don't know how the percentages carry over between the hard-core Civ fans here and the general gaming community. I do know that I'm not the only person who is upset by the way we are being "managed".

I wish we could keep track of those 91 naysayers, and find out how many of them finally break down and buy the game, even with Steam.

I wish we could keep track of those 91 naysayers, and find out how many of them finally break down and buy the game, even with Steam.

Before Left 4 Dead 2 came out, a Steam group was created announcing the members of said group would be boycotting the game. The shorthand reason for them doing so was because the sequel was released only a year after the original and they saw this as being too soon.

Long story short, that group actually bought L4D2 at a higher rate than any other group of L4D owners.

Top Bottom