How do I create new traits?

Evalis

Prince
So I've been meaning to make a new trait for sulieman but going about doing this doesn't seem readily apparent, nor does altering any of the current traits beyond their numerical scope. For example.. Ramhkaengs +50% bonus from food and culture is simply listed as bonus from city states. How would I go about seperating the two?

Any help on this would be appreciated ^^;

Read it again.. it uses a promotion that already exists.. i'm referring to the creation of something that doesn't.

I only have the demo, but based on the demo civ5traits file the following xml tags are unused

LevelExperienceModifier = Old Charismatic trait (Faster Promotions)
GreatPeopleRateModifier = Old Philosophical trait (More great people)
GreatScientistRateModifier = (Used for Babylonian trait if you have it)
MaxGlobalBuildingProductionModifier = Old Industrial trait (Faster world wonders, note that Egypt uses a different tag)
MaxTeamBuildingProductionModifier = Old Industrial trait (Faster "team" wonders)
MaxPlayerBuildingProductionModifier = Old Industrial trait (Faster national wonders)
CityStateCombatModifier = (Probably) Better combat vs city-states.
PlotCultureCostModifier = (Probably) Less culture required for expansion (Similar to Angkor Wat Wonder)
PolicyCostModifier = (Probably) Cheaper social policies
FasterAlongRiver = (Probably) Units move faster along rivers

These two appear to work together. For example (Babylon) if writing is put as the FreeUnitPrereqTech and the FreeUnit is a great scientist, the civ with this trait will receive a great scientist when writing is researched
FreeUnit = Receive a free unit at some point in the game (see below) (I assume this is used for Babylon)
FreeUnitPrereqTech = After a tech has been researched, the freeunit defined above is given (Babylon)

These two appear to work together. For example, If 2 food is set in ExtraYieldThresholds and 1 gold is set in YieldChanges, every hex that produces 2 food will produce an extra 1 gold for the civ with this trait.
ExtraYieldThresholds = (Probably) Used for old financial trait. Works differently. Determines the amount of (example) food on a hex before getting a bonus (see below)
YieldChanges = Determines the bonus amount (see above).

YieldModifiers = Unsure. Possibly gives a % boost to hex tiles (eg a city produces 10 food per turn has a 10% bonus from this trait, produces 11 food per turn)

Trait_MovesChangeUnitCombats = (Probably) increases the amount of moves certain types of units have. Note that the English +2 move bonus to naval units is handled differently.

I beleive everything else would be used in some way by a civ in the original 18. Some tags may not actually be used by the game itself (ie they don't do anything at all).

These two appear to work together. For example, If 2 food is set in ExtraYieldThresholds and 1 gold is set in YieldChanges, every hex that produces 2 food will produce an extra 1 gold for the civ with this trait.
ExtraYieldThresholds = (Probably) Used for old financial trait. Works differently. Determines the amount of (example) food on a hex before getting a bonus (see below)
YieldChanges = Determines the bonus amount (see above).

What do you suppose it would say if i wanted to make all iron tiles give me +2 commerce?

What do you suppose it would say if i wanted to make all iron tiles give me +2 commerce?

You would either need to be very creative with xml, add a new tag (Beyond my understanding, would probably need to know lua) or simply settle for +2 gold for all strategic resources (similar to part of the Russian ability).

The simple settle for +2 gold for all strategic resources is below

<Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources>
<Row>
<TraitType>TRAIT_NAME_OF_TRAIT_HERE</TraitType>
<YieldType>YIELD_GOLD</YieldType>
<Yield>2</Yield>
</Row>
</Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources>

Note that <Trait_YieldChangesStrategicResources> tag is already open, so you shouldn't need to add that (Just put it there so you know where in the xml file the xml goes)

If you want to get creative, you could give the civ a kind of "unique tech" that will allow a "unique improvement" that is only buildable on hexes that have iron. Would have to edit.
1. CIV5Civilizations.xml
2. CIV5Technologies.xml
3. CIV5Builds.xml
4. CIV5Improvements.xml
Somehow, I don't think you'll bother, but incase you do, code is below. If that doesn't work, well I'm missing something I can't check until I actually get the full game :p

* denotes that this part is already present in the file, I've put it in to show you where in the file to edit

1. Edit CIV5Civilizations.xml (Give the civ a freetech)
<Civilization_FreeTechs>*
<Row>
<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_NAME</CivilizationType>
<TechType>TECH_NAME</TechType>
</Row>
</Civilization_FreeTechs>*

2. Edit CIV5Technologies.xml (Disable the tech so other civs can't get it, thus it stays unique)
<Technologies>*
<Row>
<Type>TECH_NAME</Type>
<Cost>10</Cost>
<Description>TXT_KEY_TECH_NAME_TITLE</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_TECH_NAME_DESC</Civilopedia>
<Help>TXT_KEY_TECH_NAME_HELP</Help>
<Era>ERA_ANCIENT</Era>
<GridX>0</GridX>
<GridY>0</GridY>
<Disable>true</Disable>
</Row>
</Technologies>*

3. CIV5Builds.xml (So workers can actually build the improvement, also to make the improvement require the "unique tech")
<Builds>*
<Row>
<Type>BUILD_NAME</Type>
<PrereqTech>TECH_NAME</PrereqTech>
<Time>700</Time>
<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_NAME</ImprovementType>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILD_NAME</Description>
<Recommendation>TXT_KEY_BUILD_PROD_REC</Recommendation>
<EntityEvent>ENTITY_EVENT_MINE</EntityEvent>
<HotKey>KB_N</HotKey>
<OrderPriority>96</OrderPriority>
</Row>
</Builds>*

4. CIV5Improvements.xml (What the actual yields are, Only allow it to be built when Iron is present on a hex) (Need to edit in multiple places)

<Improvements>*
<Row>
<Type>IMPROVEMENT_NAME</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_NAME</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_IMPROVEMENTS_NAME</Civilopedia>
<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_MINE</ArtDefineTag>
<PillageGold>20</PillageGold>
<PortraitIndex>26</PortraitIndex>
<IconAtlas>TERRAIN_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
</Row>
</Improvements>*

Seperate section
<Improvement_ResourceTypes>*
<Row>
<ImprovementType>IMPROVEMENT_MINE</ImprovementType>
<ResourceType>RESOURCE_IRON</ResourceType>
</Row>
</Improvement_ResourceTypes>*

Seperate section
<Improvement_ResourceType_Yields>*
<Row>
<YieldType>YIELD_PRODUCTION</YieldType>
<Yield>1</Yield>
</Row>
<Row>
<YieldType>YIELD_GOLD</YieldType>
<Yield>2</Yield>
</Row>
</Improvement_ResourceType_Yields>*

That would be easy.

1) Make a building no one can build that gives +2 gold from the Iron resource (there is a building table that lets you do +yield from resources).

2) Use the freeBuildingInAllCities trait (that Carthage uses to get harbors) to give the building created in step 1 to all cities.
-----------------
[What would adding a city with defensive strength look like.] Please help me i have absolutely no idea.
You can do the same way as +2 gold from Iron. Make a building that gives a defensive strength bonus (look at what walls does for an example) and than use the freeBuilding trait to give it to every city.
-----------
Bah, I did not see the time stamps. Carnavan, you would have been better off making a new thread.

Top Bottom