SGOTM 05 - Geezers

Ah, yes I keep forgetting that we get techs from the barbs and usually barb galleys appear sooner or later, so it seems a waste to research sailing ourselves.

However I think it is time to build some troops. I do not want to encourage Toku unloading an archer into our defenseless capitol. I will have a look at the save in the evening.

Unless we settle another city in the far SE to get our culture over the ocean between our island and Alex's island then it doesn't matter what we do on the military front.

Oops, forgot this small detail. We certainly need another settler asap.

No, I meant your screenshot log.

I'm confused - but then I've just come in from an evening drinking - do you mean the mini screenshots that you can click on ?
They are the normal screenshots I took while playing, but then I used the attachments tool of the advanced posting screen. Uploaded each of the ones I wanted, and then included each one at the appropriate place in the text - again using the attachments tool.

If I've guessed wrong again, then please forgive me - this is going to get very boring the more times I guess wrong.

In the event log window you have in the top left of your screen there is a small button. If you click this you get an advanced event log screen with these details IIRC.

BTW I am planning to play tonight, so any of you have another 10 hours time to post any wishes. After that I do not guarantee for anything.;)

BTW I am planning to play tonight, so any of you have another 10 hours time to post any wishes.

Not so much wishes as MM suggestions, in the main, most of which are probably obvious anyway. :) Given that our new city to span the ocean will cost us :gold: it is probably worth while changing Beshbalik to work the gold mine instead of the forest to build up our gold reserves. This gives us +1 :gold: at our current research rate. This will stop Beshbalik growing but I think it's worth while.

The worker in Turfan should obviously road towards the copper. Reducing the science rate to 50% gives us +5 :gold: with the MM of Besbalik. Reducing to 60% gives us +3 :gold: with the MM of Besbalik. Either way the time to research Writing is reduced.

Naturally new units will reduce these figures so I suggest that both Beshbalik and Ning-hsia are changed to build barracks/granaries instead of their current builds of archers/chariots. As both of these cities are likely to be our main production cities initially we'll certainly need barracks in any case. Granaries of course tend go well with :whipped:.

As far as research goes we need both Mysticism & Sailing. I'll be disappointed if Mysticism isn't learnt via our allies by the the time the settler finishes. However I note that Sailing has no beakers towards it yet so I think that we should research that after Writing. After all it will take a while to build the necessary galleys to pay a call on Alex.

Where's the event log window?

In the top left corner of the screen, just below the science figure, is the button for the event log. If you click it then the event log will appear.

@Harbourboy & Sam_Yeager
You can tell we're a team. The way we implicitly understand what each other are talking about. It's almost like mind-reading at times. :crazyeye: :lol:

(I am laughing at myself, you realise. I was the one who couldn't guess what you were after, not once but twice !)

Some more details:
View attachment 157350

Get a cool one from the fridge and on we go. :beer:

Change Karakorum to a settler

Adopt Slavery

1) 1270BC : move worker in position to help with our copper mine

IBT : the barbs move an axe to Nanjing which is defended by one archer

2) 1240BC : worker roads the copper, so the mine and road will be finished in 3

IBT : the barb loses at Nanjing, but two other barb axes now threaten Shanghai which is also defended by one archer

3) 1210BC : nothing to do

IBT : just one axe attacked Shanghai and died

4) 1180BC : still not much, but our copper mine is online

IBT : the second axe at Shanghai attacked and died also, stupid AI

5) 1150BC : workers start cottages for Ning Hsia and Karakorum

IBT : nothing

6) 1120BC : nothing

IBT : we learn myst from the barbs, they go for writing as well which will give us writing 1 turn earlier

7) 1090BC : change Beshbalik from chariot to Obelisk

8) 1060BC : not much to do

IBT : Ning Hsia finishes archer -> barracks

9) 1030BC : move the archer towards Beshbalik

10) 1000BC : not much

IBT : we are the least powerful nation

11) 985BC : workers are moving to new spots to build cottages

12) 970BC : worker starts cottage at Beshbalik

13) 955BC : archer reaches Beshbalik

IBT : writing comes in -> sailing, barbs go for masonry

14) 940BC : not much

IBT : Ning Hsia and Turfan grow

15) 925BC : Ning Hsia has grown and change the citizens to work the cottage
Turfan grew, too, but this can just work another sea tile

Turfan is also changed to an obelisk

IBT : Karakorum finishes the settler, continues on chariot

16) 910BC : start moving our settler SE

IBT : Alex asks for peace, but I decline

17) 895BC : just moving the settler, worker starts another cottage at Karakorum

IBT : Ning Hsia completes barracks -> axe

18) 880BC : rush an obelisk in Turfan

IBT : Karakorum completes chariot -> axe

19) 865BC : settler moves into position to found next turn
chariot from Karakorum moves towards Turfan

IBT : we get masonry from the barbs

Cyrus completes The Pyramids

20) 850BC : settler can found city in SE

War Weariness starts to kick in.

Cyrus, Tokugawa, Saladin, Izzy won't make peace
Qin, Asoka want Beshbalik for peace
Alex would make peace straight away

The settler just arrived in the SE and is ready to settler the town. I leave this to Hawk.

At Beshbalik I changed the tiles from turn to turn to keep our 70% research rate and have it grow.

Looks like a purposeful turnset markh! :)
(Hope the cool one lasted the full 20 turns.)

We might be the weakest, but we can now see the earliest beginnings of our menacing force. Alex will be sitting back complacently, I hope.

On the downside - you can never trust a Barb axeman to do the right thing can you? What's this 'one hit each turn' philosophy? Who trained these guys?

War Weariness starts to kick in.

Rats... I forgot that we were likely to suffer this because of our allies activities. :( Happiness resources will definitely be required.

(Hope the cool one lasted the full 20 turns.)

Nope. Forgot to log that I needed another one. :hammer2: I promise I will not forget these important things next time.

The bad thing about the barbs is that they train the city defenders, so it will get tougher for our forces attacking cities.:mischief:

OK, well done.

I am committed to a family event on Saturday, will play my turns on Sunday. This gives everyone a chance to chime in with suggestions. My thoughts (having not looked at the save):

City builds:

New city starts obelisk first.
Production cities get barracks, then start spamming military. I think mostly axes, just in case Alex has copper and is building Phalanx. We should have a couple of chariots ready to join the invasion to pillage metals.
Once we have sailing, we will need to run a couple of galleys into the mix. However, maybe not too many galleys if Alex has not settled the western part of his island... we can do some quick back and forth with just a couple of galleys.

Research:

My first inclination was to beeline to Construction. It won't be long and we'll be needing cats. However, if Confusionism is not yet discovered, we might want to beeline to CoL first. If we get Confus and change to it, we'll get some much needed smileys. Since everybody already hates us, who cares about religion minuses? Oh, and we might like some Courthouses to minimize the pain of distance maintenance.

Worker builds:

Cottages...

I am committed to a family event on Saturday, will play my turns on Sunday. This gives everyone a chance to chime in with suggestions.

I wouldn't worry about slackening off the pace a little.
Just took a look at the SGOTM Progress & Results page, and we're currently tearing away like jack-rabbits. The first ones past the 90turn mark, and the first past 110turns too. Only Fifth Element are anywhere near - at 100 turns - while most of the pack are back at around 70 turns.
(Mind you, judging from the Maintenance thread, several teams have had problems with the HOF mod / CIV patches and opening the save.)

One the other hand, being the furthest into the game means - we are the top scorers !! Let's celebrate! (It's 8 am here - I'll celebrate with a cuppa)

Top Bottom