SGOTM 05 - Geezers

Here is a tactical map :)

1. Load the troops at pink, don't move the galleys (It won't have any moves left in the second turn).
2. Move the galley to green, unloading the troops at the black hill and DOW in the same turn.
3. Move the galleys back, load it again and possibly attack the city at the red cross.
4. repeat at 2.

So we could get our 12 men army in 2 turns to the hill near the city.

Edit: Well, forget it, we won't e able to go from pink to green in 1 turn.
Instead we can unload to the grass in the north of the city.

1. Load the troops at pink, don't move the galleys (It won't have any moves left in the second turn).
2. Move the galley to green, unloading the troops at the black hill and DOW in the same turn.
3. Move the galleys back, load it again and possibly attack the city at the red cross.
4. repeat at 2.

So we could get our 12 men army in 2 turns to the hill near the city.

Edit: Well, forget it, we won't e able to go from pink to green in 1 turn.
Instead we can unload to the grass in the north of the city.

Following your edit, I think you're right that we must unload on the grass.

The main reason is that the galleys have to be at that place (the only one of Alex's coast tiles that touches ours) in order to get home in one turn.

There are other ways to unload on the hill, if we wanted, but the fleet would take 2 turns to get home for the next wave, and that delay might be costly.

I'm really hoping to see 3-4 archers in this city, and that they won't be bothered attacking our landing party.

I am somewhat concerned about Alex's capital. All those years when he was stuck in one city, he had to be building something. He might have a fairly large stack there.

Thinking about Thebes, and what Alex has been building there: Stonehenge was finished on turn 79. We're now on turn 150, so he's had 71 turns to build his army. He probably didn't have stone at the time he built SH, judging from the stone by Sparta and the small island probably not containing 2 stone, so he probably took 30 turns to build it. That means he had the initial 40 turns to start his building - maybe 2 or 3 units then.

During the 71 turns, we know Alex has produced 2 settlers, and surely a worker, but he might have had nothing else to build but military. Let's say 45 turns to build an army. He could have another 8 or 9 units - if he can support them.

What about buildings? Wouldn't he have built a granary or something?

He might well have done. Or a barracks, which is cheap for him. Alex is Aggressive & Philosophical - which I guess leads him towards building barracks and military on the one hand, and libraries etc on the other. But that's not to say he won't have a granary. He just won't have prioritised it as high as (say) expansionist leaders would.

We've just got to get in there and find out. And it looks like you and then me are the ones who'll be doing the damage! :hammer:
(I'm just trying to push the vision of axeman after axeman losing to unlucky RNG rolls to the back of my mind. Cold sweat. The rest of the team demanding to know what we did with their fine army :()

I have just finished G Minor 24 so I plan to be playing my turnset tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to it. :)

Btw it's interesting to see what a bloodthirsty lot we are when looking at the SGOTM power graph. :lol:

(I'm just trying to push the vision of axeman after axeman losing to unlucky RNG rolls to the back of my mind. Cold sweat. The rest of the team demanding to know what we did with their fine army :()

:lol: Hey, I think this is a pretty experienced bunch of players... everyone knows about the RNG. The way I see it, if our troops don't step up and win, we don't want them anyhow. Kill off the unlucky ones, build some new ones!

Btw it's interesting to see what a bloodthirsty lot we are when looking at the SGOTM power graph. :lol:
:lol: I see what you mean!
We can't exactly hide the fact that we're about to go warmongering, can we?
Everyone else on a gentle incline - and then there's our graph streaking towards the skies!

By the way, notice that Fifth Element must have some serious amounts of time on their hands. They've actually passed us now on number of turns played.

Oh! And I notice Gypsy Kings might have built something impressive around turn 65, judging from the Culture graph !

:lol: Hey, I think this is a pretty experienced bunch of players... everyone knows about the RNG. The way I see it, if our troops don't step up and win, we don't want them anyhow. Kill off the unlucky ones, build some new ones!

Don't worry about me. Just a bit of 'pre-match nerves'. :)
One thing I will try hard to avoid, though - with the team's best interests at heart - is the rush of blood to the head that I've caught myself doing once or twice before. This is when your attack starts going badly, and the red mist descends, and you pump unit after unit into the attack instead of cutting your losses and stopping while you've still got some left alive. :(
Anyway - forewarned is forearmed.

Yes, I noticed too that Gypsy Kings build some wonder early. Probably Stonehenge, very interested in seeing how it worked out for them.

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm5/Geezers_SG005_BC0100_01.Civ4SavedGame

Turn 151/660 (235 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:12:05]

IBT:

Turn 152/660 (220 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:16:27]
Beshbalik finishes: Galley

IBT:

Turn 153/660 (205 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:18:21]
Beshbalik begins: Galley (19 turns)
Karakorum finishes: Keshik
Turfan finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 154/660 (190 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:20:02]
Karakorum begins: Keshik (15 turns)
Turfan begins: Axeman (11 turns)
Karakorum grows: 4
Turfan grows: 3
Ning-hsia finishes: Keshik

IBT:
Tech learned: Priesthood

Turn 155/660 (175 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:23:36]
Ning-hsia begins: Keshik (13 turns)

IBT:

Turn 156/660 (160 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:25:11]

IBT:

Turn 157/660 (145 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:25:41]

IBT:
Tech learned: Meditation

Turn 158/660 (130 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:27:29]
Old Sarai finishes: Axeman

IBT:

Turn 159/660 (115 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:28:45]
Old Sarai begins: Axeman (11 turns)

IBT:

Turn 160/660 (100 BC) [12-Aug-2007 05:29:45]

This is our army:

SGOTM5 100BC Army0000.JPG

Seems like Harbourboy had yet another late night. :lol:

Sally's galley seems to have dropped off it's cargo somewhere. :hmm:

I definitely get the feeling that Qin will be a problem at some stage. He's storming through the wonders. He must have taken Metal Casting from the Oracle. Whether or not we're interested in him, I suspect he'll come looking for us so we'll need to remember to not leave Karakorum defenceless.

It's a shame our third galley is still guarding the clams. If we want to attack with all three galleys, which seems reasonable, that means we can't attack for another 5 turns.

Thanks for your latest late night (or early morning) efforts, Harbourboy!
We're surely only moments away from the open warfare starting. :ar15:
Have all the axemen sharpened their blades freshly?

It's a shame our third galley is still guarding the clams. If we want to attack with all three galleys, which seems reasonable, that means we can't attack for another 5 turns.

Yes, I also think we need all 3 galleys. Being able to land our forces 6 by 6 rather than 4 by 4 will make a lot of difference, especially if Alex resents our uninvited presence and tries to push us into the sea!
That's 4 turns to get the clam-guard galley down to a loading point beside Old Sarai, and another 1 turn to get them to an unloading position.

I've downloaded the save ready for my turnset, but I'll play it tomorrow.

I'm ready for my role as ferry-boat captain. :)

Since it's an important decision point, I may pause mid-turn to post news and a screenshot when I find out what is waiting for us in Sparta. Reckon?

Since it's an important decision point, I may pause mid-turn to post news and a screenshot when I find out what is waiting for us in Sparta. Reckon?

It won't hurt. :) However if Alex doesn't have too much then it probably won't be necessary.

OK. I'll take my remit to be:
Get the forces ashore in an efficient manner, declaring en-route.
If I look into Sparta and 3 scared archers are staring back, I take the city with the first wave of 6 units.
If there are more defenders, or the city defence is 40% or 50% (unlikely), then I wait until the subsequent waves are in place.
Oh. And Sparta gets razed. We can't afford to keep it.

Meanwhile, back at home, we keep pumping out the military, and all the while keep an eye on economy, city management etc.

I don't think Qin is in any position to reach us at the moment, so I assume we only leave a skeleton staff back home in the cities.

Any requests? I'll read any that are left before I play - probably about 10 hours time.

Top Bottom