Abaddon's Weird News of the World!

Status
Not open for further replies.
£10 to a penny the examining board who dumped her all read the Daily Mail.

'Go on the rob, sell weed': Dopey teenage drug dealer caught after police find his 'to do' list

Daily Fail said:
A teenager was arrested for drug-dealing after police found a hand-written 'to-do' list in his pocket which read: 'Go on the rob, sell weed'.
Unemployed Thomas Franks, 19, was searched by police on May 7 at a hostel for the homeless in Crawley, West Sussex, and as well as finding 21gms of cannabis they also discovered the bizarre motivational note urging himself to complete certain tasks during the day.
Crawley Magistrates Court heard the note read: 'Sell push bike, go on the rob, sell weed, get a job.'

Franks, of Pound Hill, Crawley, pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis with intent to supply. He said he wrote the list to himself because he was 'desperate for money' to fix his PlayStation games console and needed to structure his day.
Richard Lynn, prosecuting, said Franks admitted writing the note and that he was selling cannabis to pals, but that it was a 'small scale operation'.
Iain Starke, defending, said Franks had learning difficulties but had no previous convictions.

He told the court: 'Although my client disputes the weight of the cannabis found by police he was very co-operative when questioned and fully admitted he was supplying the drug.'
'He has been affected by the recent split-up of his parent's marriage.
'He lives with his disabled father and frequently takes his younger brother and sister to and from school.'
A police source said: 'To be honest everyone felt a little bit sorry for him.
'He couldn't really deny it could he?
'The note stated exactly what he intended to do, but luckily he hadn't managed to get round to robbing anyone that day.
'If he had done the sensible thing and followed his own advice and got a job then he might not have ended up in court.'
Magistrates bailed Franks while probation and medical reports are prepared. He will be sentenced on June 28.

Hahahah. Good to see that the DM can bring us the "general interest" stories, provided it highlights drugs, teenagers or video games negatively.

Kid askes dinner lady for a biscuit. Dinner lady askes collegue to fetch him a biscuit. School spends two years investigating her for "grooming". Everyone points at the school and laughs.
But what is "grooming"?

"To prepare, as for a specific position or purpose: groom an employee for advancement."

As a crime generally refering to a peadophile grooming a victim by preparing them for their specific position or purpose, though sometimes used in related criminal contexts eg grooming a drug mule or suicide bomber.

But what is "grooming"?

Generally it refers to the purpose of grooming someone for sexual purposes, so you get their trust n them and they you abuse that trust. Who knows, one cookie will lead into a lifelong pursuit of prostitution?

I'm not even sure I fully understand what that news article is supposed to mean. o.0

I had the same problem! I went like "WTF? Is this English...?"

Generally it refers to the purpose of grooming someone for sexual purposes, so you get their trust n them and they you abuse that trust. Who knows, one cookie will lead into a lifelong pursuit of prostitution?

So now I understand that part. Weird, but I understand .... giving a kid a biscuit may be grooming him for later sexual abuse.... HELLOOOOO?????

But one last question: What in the world is a "dinner lady"???

That whole articles seemed like something from a parallel universe - or a novel by Charles Dickens.

Come on, people. Try not to make us think that Britain is a separate world, even if the DM does try!

I saw that. That's both hilarious and ingenious.

I'm wondering where I could get one and how much it would cost - I'd like to put a T-90 in one of our fields poking out from the hedge row to scare pasers by.

Copycats. The Allies did that prior to D-Day:

http://www.theotherside.co.uk/tm-heritage/background/fortitudes.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Lone Star Chile State:

http://en.terra.com/latin-in-america/news/chile_flag_used_on_texas_ballot_for_years/hof12073

The Chile flag and Texas flag are strikingly similar, still you'd figure that the Texas voters would notice if the wrong flag was placed on their absentee ballots. Apparently not! Click to check out the Chile flag on the Texas absentee ballot.

We are not surprised that many voters don't know their own state's flag. But, what is pretty shocking is that no one caught this flag mix up for years.

Texas' Atascosa County has reportedly used the Chilean flag on their absentee ballot for several years. Maybe someone noticed and laughed about it for a while, but no one actually reached out to the county's staff to correct the issue. The ballot image was posted on The Washington Post's BlogPost.

So, how was the mistake discovered? Troy Knudson, a Texan student in Japan took note of the flag blunder and spoke up.

'Apparently the insert has been used for some time without anyone (voters and staff) noticing. I guess it's funny in some way, but my initial reaction was more disbelief that no one had noticed,' Knudson told the Statesman.

Just in case you were wondering, below are photos of the two flags. The first is the Texan flag and the second is the Chilean flag. They do look quite similar. Flag photo credits go to The Washington Post's BlogPost.

What do you think of the voters and staff that missed the huge error on their ballot?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radio Flyer Pickup Wagon:

http://www.popfi.com/2010/10/13/giant-radio-flyer-pickupwagon/

You can never underestimate what you can do with some plywood, foam, and a dream. Fred Keller and Judy Foster were at a car show when they saw a hot rod rigged up to look like a bright red Radio Flyer wagon. The pair were instantly inspired. Here’s the end result– a human-sized big red Radio Flyer. It’s a thing of beauty, no?

“We said, ‘We could use the Mazda for that,’” said Foster, meaning a 1976 Mazda B1600 pickup truck that hadn’t been driven in years. ”We came home from our Portland trip, and about a day after, he was tearing the Mazda apart. No changing my mind.” Keller, a retired telephone worker who builds home aircraft (!!) had all the parts needed for the conversion from pickup to wagon. ”The basic structure of the wagon is marine plywood, foam, fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. It’s a very strong structure.”

The two have kept their Radio Flyer as authentic as possible, even in the face of Alaska’s brutal winters. ”We recognize it is a convertible, and to get its true meaning and everything, you really need to keep it such and try to keep it from looking as much like a car as possible,” said Keller. ”We’re going to be having a blast with it,” come spring, he said. “The one thing we both enjoy about the car is just the smiles it puts on people’s faces.”
Those crazy people from Wasilla, Alaska...

McDonalds Happy Meal Resists Decomposition For Six Months

Vladimir Lenin, King Tut and the McDonald's Happy Meal: What do they all have in common? A shocking resistance to Mother Nature's cycle of decomposition and biodegradability, apparently.

That's the disturbing point brought home by the latest project of New York City-based artist and photographer Sally Davies, who bought a McDonald's Happy Meal back in April and left it out in her kitchen to see how well it would hold up over time.

The results? "The only change that I can see is that it has become hard as a rock," Davies told the U.K. Daily Mail.

She proceeded to photograph the Happy Meal each week and posted the pictures to Flickr to record the results of her experiment. Now, just over six months later, the Happy Meal has yet to even grow mold. She told the Daily Mail that "the food is plastic to the touch and has an acrylic sheen to it."

Davies -- whose art has been featured in numerous films and television shows and is collected by several celebrities -- told The Upshot that she initiated the project to prove a friend wrong. He believed that any burger would mold or rot within two or three days of being left on a counter. Thus began what's become known as "The Happy Meal Art Project."

"I told my friend about a schoolteacher who's kept a McDonald's burger for 12 years that hasn't changed at all, and he didn't believe me when I told him about it," Davies told us. "He thought I was crazy and said I shouldn't believe everything that I read, so I decided to try it myself."

Some observers of the photo series have noted that the burger's bun appears at different angles, and therefore aired suspicions that the Happy Meal may not in fact be as "untouched" as the project's groundrules stipulate. Davies says there's a simple explanation for the mobile-bun effect. "The meal is on a plate in my apartment on a shelf," she says, "and when I take it down to shoot it, the food slides around. It's hard as rock on a glass plate, so sure, the food is moving."

Davies' friend was the person who should have done the additional research. Wellness and nutrition educator Karen Hanrahan has indeed kept a McDonald's hamburger since 1996 to show clients and students how resistant fast food can be to decomposition.

As for Davies, she said that she might just keep her burger and fries hanging around for a while as well.

"It's sitting on a bookshelf right now, so it's not really taking up any space, so why not?" she said. It ceased giving off any sort of odor after 24 hours, she said, adding: "You have to see this thing."

In response to Davies' project, McDonald's spokeswoman Theresa Riley emailed The Upshot a statement defending the quality of the chain's food. Riley's email also blasted Davies' "completely unsubstantiated" work as something out of "the realm of urban legends."

"McDonald's hamburger patties in the United States are made with 100% USDA-inspected ground beef," Riley wrote. "Our hamburgers are cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else -- no preservatives, no fillers. Our hamburger buns are baked locally, are made from North American-grown wheat flour and include common government-approved ingredients designed to assure food quality and safety. ... According to Dr. Michael Doyle, Director, Center for Food Safety at the University of Georgia, 'From a scientific perspective, I can safely say that the way McDonald's hamburgers are freshly processed, no hamburger would look like this after one year unless it was tampered with or held frozen.'"

Mormons aren't real Christians like gays and atheists aren't real humans:

http://www.statesman.com/news/natio...h-bars-mormon-couple-from-serving-981349.html

RALEIGH, N.C. — A Presbyterian church was happy to have Jeremy and Jodi Stokes as Cub Scout leaders until it was discovered that they are Mormons. Then they were told they had to step down because the church doesn't consider them real Christians.

The Stokeses enrolled their sons as Scouts at Christ Covenant Church, a Presbyterian congregation near Charlotte, and expressed interest in volunteering as leaders. Church officials were initially thrilled earlier this month, the Stokeses said, until they saw on the application forms that they belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

After two Scout meetings, the Stokeses were told that their sons, 6 and 8 years old, could stay in their packs, but the parents couldn't serve as leaders.

"I can't believe they had the audacity to say, 'You can't be leaders, but we want your boys,'\u2009" Jodi Stokes said. "Do you really think I'd let my boys go there now?"

Christ Covenant spokeswoman Stelle Snyder said in an e-mail Tuesday that the church — which belongs to the Presbyterian Church in America, a conservative evangelical denomination — was taking action to "assure that our parameters for leaders are clearly defined and well-communicated to volunteers and those interested in leadership roles for church sponsored programs such as the Boy Scouts."

The e-mail included a link to a site on the differences between Mormon and historical Christian doctrine. Snyder declined to comment further but said the church wishes the Stokes family well.

"We had bought the uniforms; we had gone to two meetings; they had played with the other kids," Jodi Stokes said. "And then my sons are saying, 'Mommy, why can't we go back there?'\u2009"

Members of the Salt Lake City-based Mormon church identify themselves as Christians, believing that salvation is possible because of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. But significant theological differences separate Mormons from most Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant churches.

The Mormon church treats as holy scripture writings that aren't recognized by other churches, such as the Book of Mormon, which it believes were divinely revealed to Joseph Smith in the 1820s. Mormons disavow belief in the doctrine of the Trinity: that God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one — instead believing the three to be individuals united in a single purpose.

Major doctrinal differences exist between many Christian churches, said Kathleen Flake, a Vanderbilt University professor of American religious history, yet few other denominations endure the kind of scrutiny that Mormons face.

Flake says Mormons have endured more criticism because of a lack of understanding about their beliefs and because of their willingness to proselytize to Christians and non-Christians.

"They proselytize anyone, whether you're a Baptist or a Buddhist," she said. "If you're interested, they want to tell you about it."

Got GPS tracking on your car? Better check underneath before you answer, especially if you are a Muslim...

Link to video.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1128724.ece

She bought Clorox bleach, duct tape, Lysol disinfectant, two pairs of gloves, two rolls of plastic sheeting and a canvas sheet.

Dorice "DeeDee" Moore was a suspect in a missing man's murder, and investigators said she wanted to move the body before they could find it. But how did they find out about her Jan. 24 shopping trip to the Brandon Walmart Supercenter?

Undercover detectives didn't tail her to the store. They weren't watching her every move.

They secretly placed a GPS tracking device onto her vehicle.

The same technologies we use every day — cell phones, social networking, GPS — also are used by law enforcement to investigate, track and arrest criminals. The problem, critics say, is when these technologies are used without oversight — and to erode privacy.

A judge on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals recently called out his fellow judges on both counts.

His rebuke came after the court ruled that federal agents could not only plant a GPS tracking device on a vehicle without getting a warrant, but they could go onto private property to do so.

That was too much for Chief Judge Alex Kozinski.

"The needs of law enforcement, to which my colleagues seem inclined to refuse nothing, are quickly making personal privacy a distant memory," he wrote in a widely read dissent.

• • •

The Global Positioning System of satellites in orbit has become ubiquitous in modern life. The private sector uses it to keep tabs on employees. The public uses it to keep from getting lost. Florida uses it to track 2,620 sex offenders.

But how often is it used in criminal investigations?

None of the Tampa Bay area's major law enforcement agencies would discuss the issue. Their investigative techniques are exempt from public records law.

"We do utilize GPS for investigations, and we do have a policy that addresses the usage," wrote Hillsborough sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter in an e-mail. "But we cannot release the policy due to the fact that it reveals investigative techniques."

The Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office would only confirm that it has obtained judicial approval to track suspects using GPS.

Defense attorneys say they're encountering the technology more frequently. But no one can say for sure how often it's used.

"In speaking to law enforcement, I understand that it is being used more and more often in their investigations," said Tampa defense attorney Richard Escobar. "It's an easier way to track individuals than doing mobile surveillance."

• • •

How GPS tracking is used in Florida depends on which agency is using it. Local, state and federal officers follow different rules.

According to Florida law, local and state agencies need a judge's approval to use GPS tracking. But the standard they have to meet isn't as high as the standard for obtaining a search warrant.

To search someone's home or business, officers must have a reasonable belief that the person committed a crime.

To use GPS tracking, they simply must convince a judge that it's "relevant" to their investigation, said University of Florida law professor Michael L. Seigel.

"It's a much lower standard," he said. "It's not requiring them to show any suspicion about an individual's guilt."

There's also an easy way around state law. Local agencies could just ask the federal government for help. Federal agents don't need a warrant to use GPS tracking devices in Florida, Seigel said.

"Everybody's working in a joint task force these days," said Escobar. "They can ask the federal government to do things they can't do in the state system."

• • •

Lottery winner Abraham Shakespeare had been missing for a year when Polk County detectives placed a GPS tracking device on a vehicle driven by DeeDee Moore for three days in January.

That's how they were able to retrace her steps and discover the $104.90 Walmart shopping trip, according to court records. Shakespeare's body was found four days later.

Moore was soon charged with shooting Shakespeare in April 2009, hiding his body and taking control of his millions. Now she sits in a Hillsborough jail, awaiting trial on a charge of first-degree murder.

It's unclear if a judge approved using GPS in this case. When asked if a judge signed off on it, the Hillsborough County State Attorney's Office and the Polk County Sheriff's Office both declined to comment.

• • •

The Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution protects against "unreasonable searches and seizures." But tracking someone in public spaces, the courts have ruled, doesn't constitute a "search."

There's nothing unreasonable about following someone on a public road or sidewalk. That's why officers don't need a warrant to physically surveil someone — or to use a GPS tracking device.

"We expect that other people will see us when we walk outside, our movements on the street are open to the public," said Stetson law professor Robert Batey. "It's not an intrusion upon a reasonable expectation of privacy for the police to tail someone."

But it is getting harder to tail someone, said Escobar.

"One of the problems they have is that the people they're tracking have become pretty savvy to these surveillance techniques," he said. "Even when you use multiple cars to track someone, it's a risk that you can be spotted.

"But with GPS tracking, there's no negative. You're going to be able to track that person and you can keep your distance."

Well, there's one negative: People are finding the devices.

In a recent case, a 20-year-old California student of Egyptian descent, Yasir Afifi, discovered a tracking device on his car when he took it for an oil change, according to Wired.com.

A friend posted pictures on the Internet, which led to a visit from FBI agents, who questioned Afifi and took the device back.

• • •

Most federal and state courts have upheld the use of GPS tracking without a warrant. But some have dissented.

The U.S. District Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled Aug. 6 that the government's warrantless, monthlong tracking of a suspected drug trafficker using GPS constituted an illegal search.

The judges said that "prolonged surveillance of a person's movements may reveal an intimate picture of his life." Constant surveillance could uncover criminal activity — but also reveal to the government that the subject is seeing a psychiatrist.

Days later, the 9th Circuit upheld the right of federal agents to plant a GPS tracking device on a suspected drug trafficker's vehicle without a warrant and to do so on a private driveway.

Those conflicting rulings mean the U.S. Supreme Court will likely decide the issue.

The real issue is resources, said University of Miami law professor Michael Froomkin. When the courts first gave the government the right to remotely track suspects, no one thought they'd one day have the money or technology to do so constantly.

"There was an unstated assumption behind a great deal of Fourth Amendment jurisprudence in our history that says surveillance is expensive and therefore has natural limits," he said. "That unstated assumption that people took for granted is no longer true."

• • •

When Chief Judge Kozinski wrote his dissent in the 9th Circuit's ruling, GPS tracking wasn't his only concern. He wrote that there seems to be no limit to what technologies the government can use to violate privacy.

He noted that in 2009 a Sprint Nextel official revealed that the company gave its customers' cell phone locations to the government more than 8 million times that year. The company said that it was all done legally and that the number of customers affected was far less.

"By holding that this kind of surveillance doesn't impair an individual's reasonable expectation of privacy," wrote the judge, "the panel hands the government the power to track the movements of every one of us, every day of our lives. …

"There is something creepy and un-American about such clandestine and underhanded behavior."

Actually, the Texas one is pretty amazing, since in Texas, the state flag is EVERYWHERE, perhaps even more common than the American flag.

By far the weirdest story I've ever seen in the history of BOTH these threads awaits.

:satan:
'Devil' fear sparks French defenestration

Eleven people were injured when they jumped out of a second-storey window near Paris early on Saturday, thinking a naked man tending his crying baby in the night was the devil, the local prosecutor said.

"Thirteen people were in an apartment on the second floor when, around 3am, one of the occupants heard his child crying," the deputy prosecutor in Versailles, Odile Faivre, said.

"The man in question of African origin, who was completely naked, got up to feed his child, at which point the other occupants took him for the devil," said Faivre.

"He was seriously wounded in the hand after being stabbed with a knife before he was thrown out of the apartment, via the door."

The naked man then tried to get back into the flat in the town of La Verriere west of Paris, population 6000.

"That's when the other occupants tried to escape by jumping out of the window, panicked by a fear of the devil," said Faivre.

Police have questioned the would-be devil, aged 30, and another man who jumped from the window with a two-year-old girl in his arms.

Seven of those injured were taken to hospital for emergency treatment.

Investigators are trying to clarify a number of issues surrounding the case, including whether everyone jumped voluntarily or if some were forced to do so, Faivre said.
WTF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom