Gun nuts of CFC, I need your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pellet rifle probably makes the most sense if all you are going to do is target shoot and have a backyard or basement.

500+ yards is what I'm aspiring to. Though I have neither a backyard of a basement. High power pellet guns also require licensing, which seems asinine.

You can't really go wrong with a 1903 Springfield.

If you can get one, an M14 is pure joy to shoot.

And to hit stuff 500+ yards you are going to need something with enough velocity and weight to get there accurately. That generally means something a bit heavier than most .22 caliber rifles. Just as an aside, for long distance shooting, a heavier rifle is easier to handle than a light weight rifle. A bit more weight mitigates stuff like erratic trigger pull, cheek weld, or breathing that can affect the aim of a lighter weight weapon. At longer distances, even small variances can make you miss by yards, and fwiw, a man sized target is pretty darn small even at 300 yards.

500+ yards is what I'm aspiring to. Though I have neither a backyard of a basement. High power pellet guns also require licensing, which seems asinine.
Is there a 500+ yard target range anywhere near you?

And while licensing high-power pellet guns does seem asinine, you don't really need one to target shoot. You could even do so in your apartment. I assume you do have one of those...

The Canadian government is full of squeamish n00bs who don't know anything about guns and do not understand that the Canadian people are too awesome for these laws.

But Canada is a democratic republic. Why don't the people just vote themselves the right to bear arms?

I'm I don't know first hand but I highly doubt it is legal to shoot pellet rifles anywhere with in the city limits of Ottawa. I do know that almost every city in the US has ordinances against it.

Also, licensing high powered air rifles isn't really that asinine if a license is already required to own a firearm. Note, when I think of high-powered pellet rifles I think of 1,000+ fps .22-.50 caliber air rifles. If you're going to require a license for a firearm, you might as well also require them for pneumatic weapons which can kill someone just as easily if handled improperly.

I think your perspective is warped by television and movies. Drinking and using a gun is a crime in every state IIRC and it's against federal law to even touch a gun if you smoke marijuana. Doesn't mean some people don't drink and shoot, just that it is not acceptable to do so.

But there is a large number of ignorant people who acquire guns and don't know how to handle them safely.

Shooting people in the face with a Shotgun while drunk isn't assault !
I would say any WorldWar 2 era Rifle

Arent those M2 carbines from SKorea going to hit the public market ?
(I would buy one of those if I could :( )

I do know that almost every city in the US has ordinances against it.

I've been shooting my pellet gun in town for years, and once some people in my neighborhood even chased some raccoons out the area with pellet guns. (None of those pellet guns were those 1000+ FPS ones though)

I've been shooting my pellet gun in town for years, and once some people in my neighborhood even chased some raccoons out the area with pellet guns. (None of those pellet guns were those 1000+ FPS ones though)

Check closer and you'll probably find a law against discharging a firearm within town limits which will more than likely include pellet guns/air rifles/BB guns/crossbows/bow and arrows/etc.

I shot pellet guns in downtown Wilkesboro, NC for my entire childhood and never had problems with the law either despite it being technically illegal.

Some places enforce those laws more stringently than others. Typically the bigger the town/city, the more strict the enforcement will be. For instance in NYC it is an arrestable offense just to possess one without the proper permits and licenses.

Aren't those legal stipulations?

Not if you buy a collector's item. For pistols and shotguns those things are necessary, but when I bought my Mosin I didn't even need a license. They don't focus on such things, because no one is going to take a bolt action rifle into a mall and spray the crowd.

Check closer and you'll probably find a law against discharging a firearm within town limits which will more than likely include pellet guns/air rifles/BB guns/crossbows/bow and arrows/etc.
That is true in only a limited number of cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun_laws

Sale or possession of air guns are usually unregulated in most U.S. States. A few States and municipalities restrict or prohibit air gun sales or possession in some manner, including: San Francisco, New York, New York; Camden, New Jersey and Newark, New Jersey. Johnson City, Tennessee; Chicago, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the States of Illinois, and Michigan.[21] Additionally, ordinances in many cities prohibit the discharge of air guns outdoors outside of an approved range.

Either way, you can certainly target shoot inside your own apartment in almost all parts of the US.

Is there a 500+ yard target range anywhere near you?

And while licensing high-power pellet guns does seem asinine, you don't really need one to target shoot. You could even do so in your apartment. I assume you do have one of those...

Having looked into it, there's a 900 metre range near me.

Before you buy a gun I think you have to ask yourself the question, do I really need a gun. And if the answer is yes, you need to ask the question do I really need a gun.

I really don't get this obsession with having to have a gun, societies with low gun ownership like the UK have far lower murder rates.

Before you buy a gun I think you have to ask yourself the question, do I really need a gun. And if the answer is yes, you need to ask the question do I really need a gun.

I really don't get this obsession with having to have a gun, societies with low gun ownership like the UK have far lower murder rates.

Despite having a gun ownership rate similar to the US, our murder rate is only a hair above the UK. Homicide rates correlate much much better with poverty and inequality than they do with gun ownership rates.

Do I need a rifle? No. I want a rifle for the same reason a golfer wants to golf or a soccer player wants a soccer ball.

I dont think I have ever seen anyone killed by a football (please dont call it soccer).

I dont think I have ever seen anyone killed by a football (please dont call it soccer).

But you probably have heard about someone being killed by a blunt object, a car, a knife...

Guns are as dangerous as their owners. It makes no more sense to treat them as a cursed object than it does to treat a car as a super natural killing machine. I have no issue with banning fully automatic weapons. I have no issue with requiring a firearm owner to be licensed just as we license people to drive. I do have a problem when people see guns as something evil or extra dangerous.

But this is all moot. The point is, I want a rifle to target shoot. I'm legally allowed to do this. So I intend to do this.

That is true in only a limited number of cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gun_laws

Just to be a rascal I looked up Ottawa's laws and, yep, it is illegal to discharge a firearm in the populated areas of the city. It was a pretty easy guess because any sizable city is going to have "discharge of firearm" laws which include things like pellet guns.

Either way, you can certainly target shoot inside your own apartment in almost all parts of the US.

Seriosuly, Forma, who shoots a pellet gun inside an apartment or even a house for that matter? What do you use as a back stop? Unless you've got a massive apartment and a really, really tolerant landlord and plenty of money to replace windows and drywall damaged by ricochets and aren't afraid of being injured, I would not suggest firing such powerful and dangerous weapons inside a domicile. And yeah it would still illegal because the interior of your apartment is still going to be within city limits.

contre said:
Homicide rates correlate much much better with poverty and inequality than they do with gun ownership rates.

The same correlation is true for the US and everywhere else in the world.:confused:

Cheezy said:
no one is going to take a bolt action rifle into a mall and spray the crowd.

According to what logic? You can "spray and pray" a bolt-action rifle assuming it has a magazine and you have two working hands. Personally I would be more concerned if they took steady and deliberate aim.

According to what logic? You can "spray and pray" a bolt-action rifle assuming it has a magazine and you have two working hands. Personally I would be more concerned if they took steady and deliberate aim.

And hitl what, two, three people tops? Also, you can't conceal a rifle of that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom