SG Lurkers, ready?

If you want to know who will be the first to string me up you have an answer ...me!!!

Just kidding, I think we should just continue playing, consider this an extra challenge? I've fought to many barbs to see all my work flushed down the toilet by a misplaced cross. I say if we can't fix it we continue. We must destroy the barbs. CHARGE:spear:

:ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15:

sorry work has sucked.... which settign was accidentally chosen?

if it's too horrible we can just reroll and can the furious barbies. :lol:

I've been playing endless barb games and wow what a freaking blast but not sure it's a great idea for a first generation civ4 prince SG.

I mean I win from domination every game I play barbs because well I have a huge army of 10 exp troops to roll people over very quickly.

Cultural victory alone requires severe sacrifices as is, let alone adding flaming barbies into the mix. Just too much military MUST be built to survive.

Again Liq's bad on barbs :worship: please be kind in retribution :lol:

I'm all for a restart, Sans barbs of the Rampaging variety so we can play a cultural game..

My first SG I'll start myself later on WILL be flaming barbies tho I can tell you now, it's just so much fun to get beat down like a floozy. Forsces me to be untimid like no other combo can.

Not a defeatist btw :) I just rather SG a realistic goal first, then add the insanity for when we are all good and jaded :crazyeye:

Anyway, your thoughts?

no hate here from liq, black. :)

Cheers!
-Liq

Liquid, "work" and "suck" are redundant. :)

Raging barbs isn't the problem (actually turns out to be pretty cool. Kinda fun, really.)

When I initially set the game up, I wanted to check 'permanent alliances.'
Instead I checked "always war or peace." Which means we have an always peace game right now. If you load up the game, hover your mouse over the opponents name; you'll see that it says "cannot declare war!!"

That's the problem. So we all need to decide if we want to continue with an always peace game (which was not the intent at all for this SG.) It's a major screw up on my part.

It doesn't look like victory conditions/game options are changeable once the game is started. At least that's what I've been told. Tried to change it on an old game save, and tried to attack the persian scout, but there wasn't even an "does this mean war?" pop-up.

My vote would be for a restart. I know, it kind of bites, but you caught it early enough that we all only lose one turn. It could have been much worse if we didn't figure this out until much later. Good spotting btw.

That's my two cents worth.
If on the next game you select "always at war", I'm going to throw my mouse at you! :lol:

okay i'll agree to a restart but maybe we could bring the difficulty down to noble . Raging barbs is all well and good but with prince as well when some of us havenever played on prince or with raging barbs? Anyway its your descision.

edit: is it possible to play in to SG's at the one time or does it make life hell

I'm in 3 so far and np

dunno tho I process this game super fast in that I'm a min maxer by my very nature and I'm very fluent in infrasructure systems.

I vote restart no barbs prince culture win, rethink our leaders...

barbs so much fun but I'll use that option for a different SG, I've tried a few culture wins and man it's a slim fit to beat off the bad peeps at end.

Cheers!
-Liq

My vote'd go with restart, normal barbs, prince level.
My second option would be raging barbs, noble level.

No worries on the tickbox black, when I played my first noble game I was about two hours in and wondering why I was doing so well when I realised that I'd left it on Warlord level! :hammer: I've leart enough about raging barbs to have made this game worth playing anyhow!

Having said I've learnt a bit about ragin barbs, I decided to try and justify it to myself with a few thoughts:

1. Raging barbs are just that. Once they start coming, they don't stop. I know this is implied in the name of the setting, but I really didn't expect it to be that relentless!

2. Defense is not enough on its own. I think some sort of barbarian spawning ground limitation strategy would be useful. I still think there's a case for taking units outside of the city squares to bring more light to the area. You have a handful of turns before the barbs start to attack, and if you can find a peninsula (such as the one to our south) there's a case for dropping a number of scouts to illuminate the terrain, thus allowing you the chance to settle in there in relative safety. You then *just* need to man a northern border and you have the chance to build your civ down south. Granted, that is based on the wonder of hindsight, but it's a strategy I will try out at some point. In fact, I may restart this game at some point and try the principle out to establish its validity.

3. Early research should be directed more towards military areas than tile improvement. This is fairly self-explanatory. The only thing to be resolved here is whether to chance for an early religion. I'm still undecided on this one.

4. When uder light attack, it is worth removing your best defender from the city to give promotions to others. Obviously, when they com at you with 4 units at once, this isn't the best idea! Given that units can only grab up to 10 points from barbs though, it seems a waste to keep them defending if you have another capable unit.

Well, there's my thoughts. Nothing too radical in there, but I've not had much experience on raging barbs, so let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone for being so understanding. What a way to kick of a first ever SG. :wallbash:

If I select Always war on this one, I deserve more than a mouse thrown at me.

I vote restart too. While I'm quite the peacemonger in my games, it takes away all the drama with always peace selected.

Raging barbs has been educational: I agree with Percinho's analysis. Even on normal I've had swarms of them until I lit up a good chunck of land with warriors/archers. I'll take a look out for Liq's SG when he starts up a raging barb SG.

Okay, to the restart:
Prince level, normal barbs, trying for a culture win.
My thoughts on leaders:
Cathy -- Financial, creative
Mana -- Spiritual, financial (although he doesn't start w/ mysticism)
Saladin -- Philosphical, spiritial
(maybe Elizabeth -- Philosophical, financial)
Open to suggestions as well!

I think early religions and shrines are more important than Wonders in amassing culture (although Wonders certainly help!)
Financial helps us keep up in Science. Creative for the early land grab phrase. Philosophical for the Great people Generations. Spiritual for fast temple building, and no anarchy.
Thoughts?

Given the choices, my vote:

Mana (Camel Archers 10/2 vs: horse archers 6/2, knight 10/2)-only need guilds, horseback riding & archery!
Replaced by calvalry.
Spiritual (no anarchy) and Financial sounds good. (so we miss budha, we'll grab the rest)

As usual, I am down with whatever the team decides.
Saladin sounds decent too. Heck, I'll play any one of them.
Let's get this started soon.

Mana or saladin sounds good to me as well.

Raging barbs was definitely... eductational :p

--Greggo

Busy day at work, sorry for not responding sooner.
I'll start us off later on tonight.
Probably will start as Mansa.
Be back soon!

Liq is out of it... to reiterate flaming barbies is not only educational for the peace minded of us, it's effing fun!!!!!

those barbs come at you with an intensity that no pc controlled civ could ever muster. totally insane in a fantastically fun way....

that said, lets drop that option for this SG ROFL. it will return I promise and I'll head up that bit of moronics thinking prince or monarch win anyway with agressive civs always war and raging barbs in due time!:crazyeye:

as for a clean start, I really love cathy more and more. Financial and creative are very well matched and her UU's the cossak comes at just the correct time to fend off the horde of jealous civs with tanks.

But I'm easy. just no organized at prince and no m0 raging barbs!!! hahahahaha.

Man the more I play this game the more I love it, SG's just take it up a notch or 5.

Anyway lets restart it and no hard feelings any which way it drops about. This is about fun, not bragging rights.

Cheers!
-Liq

Lurker the II is born.
Immediately he checks the game settings:

Whew, no mistakes.

4000 BC
Here is our start:

We have a frest water start, but not immediately on a river.
But, this looks good, next to the coast with the lake providing fresh water and livestock in radius.
Decide to begin here.

Warrior moves to the hut and earns 52 gold!
Already richer than his ill fated predecessor.
We have lots of coast line and beavers close by.
Timbuktu orders a warrior.

Turn 2: 3960
Which tech to research?
Already faced with a tough choice.

However, I pick fishing. This allows us to work the lake square for
extra commerce, hopefully leading to faster tech discoveries.

Turn 3:3920 Explore

Turn 4: 3880 Explore

Turn 5: 3840 Explore

Turn 6: 3800 A hut.
The villagers give us a map:

The intrepid band spies another tribal village hut way in the distance, decides to head that direction.

Turn 7: 3760 Explore

Turn 8: 3720 Explore

Turn 9: 3680 Explore

Turn 10: 3640 Explore

Turn 11: 3600: Warrior defeats lion; heals (for decades!)

Turn 12: 3560

Fishing comes in.
Choose Mysticism for Hindu gambit.
With fishing, change Timbuktu from working forest to the lake.
Time to discover Mysticism goes from 13 --->10
Hunting and archery would be more useful, but I roll the dice.

Turn 13: 3520
Timbuktu produces a warrior, trains another.

Warrior heads north to clear the fog, leaving Timbuktu unguarded.
Should be okay for a bit!

Turn 14: 3480 Meet Saladin
Declare war!
Just kidding.

Turn 15-21
(oops extra turn in there somehow; trying to do chores and play Civ, bad idea.)

Warrior desperately racing for the hut against Saladin's band of warriors defeats a bear!

I didn't promote/heal him, as I leave that in Liq's capable hands.

The world as we know it:

Didn't do a good job with the pics. Long work day.

Turn order:20 turns each, then ten when we get back to the top:
Blackluck -
Liquidated - Up
Luv_Muffin- On deck
Scowler
Percinho
Sir Toma
Greggo

The save:
View attachment Lurker II BC-3320.zip

Cross post with Liq.
Love the avatar :)

Cathy is a great choice; love those Cossacks!

But, I chose Mansa :mischief:

Tired tonight, hopefully did ok on the beginning :)

Oooops, my bad.

Mali has Skirmishers, Saladin has them camel archers.

No, I wasn't wrong. I was just a little shy of being correct, is all.
I'm sure if we had camels, our skirmishers would like to ride them, except we don't, so don't count on them.
Okay? Let's just put this all behind us, and not ever mention it in public.

I see you, you want to push that quote button don't you?
Put your mouse down, there's nothing to see here folks. :crazyeye:

Nice opening, Blackluck. Lots of coastline. We can be fairly sure we won't be attacked by barbs from the south at least!
Heh heh.
Look forward to seeing what the rest of the world looks like.
Go get 'em liq!

huh what? guild finally killed hatcher the um tortuer so Liq is free for the night.

21 turns huh? hehe we'll see.. gonna test the waters for hindu as one of our guests is a spiritualist.

got it, playing it next post will be the turns..........

btw dunno about you but every time I look at my avitar I think.

'mmmmm delish'

Such an enchanting shade of green :crazyeye:

And no this is not the first board to be graced by it.

Cheers!
-Liq

ps sooo nice to beable to start up civ4 and not cast a paranoid glance at the process list expecting a crash incoming.

[1]3320 AD officially decided to say "screw that!" to using (x) for my turn counter... the shift keys are mass annoying!

goodie hut a gogo.. wuwu. I pet julia, the cat that lives on top of my monitor, a good luck tickle....

uh 52 gold isn't bad... next time I get julia to drooling first!

switch the population to farm the coast for the extra 3 coins.

[2]3280 BC nother goodies hut!!!! ok drool accopmplished and........ hostile villagers! WTF. one barb

[3]3240 BC wounded barb dies. grrr... we have that evil jap guy's scout say hi from the west.

[4]3200 BC Mysticism comes in make sure bud hasn;t been founded yet and away we go! for polyana in 15.

[5]3160 BC no news but computer moved to work a 1 commerce town.... so poly down to 12.

[6]3120 BC warrior isn;t seeing much interesting to the north.

[7]3080 BC bud is founded... 10 turns on poly... go go gadget!! see barbs to the north...

[8]3040 BC land warrior on a hill nest to a wolf... seems another goodie hut barb was victorious it's 1.6 of 2 hmm.

[9]3000 BC meet Cyrus from the persans in the north, panthers attack warrior of course not the scout next to them... lets see if the barbs take him out. warrior lives but is 1.1 move him north to a jungled hill to rest.

[10]2960 BC nothign to do, 7 turns on polyana.

[11]2920 BC 6 turns to polyananana.

[12]2880 BC WTF those barbs came to attack our warrior... well he won and is back to 1.1 but can promote so grab woods one. is 1.6 now so rest.

[13]2840 BC napoleon says hi from the east as well... lotta friends!!!!

[14]2800 BC train next warrior... he's gonna peal back a bit of the fog to the east. start a worker in um 45 lol.

[15]2760 BC warrior to north all healed yay!

[16]2720 BC No News is GOOD News!

[17]2680 BC ***SCORE***

deja vu! fooled you! that's from sg one, our "you founded hinduism" screen in SG2 has the date 2680BC not 2480BC

same result. we got the cool blue swirl... my personal favorite. I do not adopt hindu for now...

so off with the balls to the wall research pace.. work the beaver square since it's 3 units towards the worker and a coin. hmm that could be construed in a naughty way....

go for hunting since both our specials need it. worker in 21 turns. timbuk is up to 7 culture a turn...

warrior north ends turn on a hill overlooking a lion.... man he's a magnet for these things.

[18]2640 BC warrior wins!!!! resting again =/

[19]2600 BC turning city warriors around back to town.

[20]2560 BC quiet days

ok scored hindu started on a worker and hunting so he has crap to do, 2 of 3 warriors remain and we have 104 in the bank. our start area is very low on resources. imo the techs we want are animal husbandry and archers. I sacrificed growth to secure hindu btw so keep that in mind.

our neck of the woods is crowded so maybe napoleon and jap guy can beat eachother silly. good news is no aztecs or incas and no effing religious nuts like izzy so far.

btw Black/Liq are 2 for 2 on founding hindu without spiritualism.... :rockon:

Cheers!
-Liq

uh liq forgot the save..:mischief:

go liq go, see liq run, run liq run.

Turn order:20 turns each, then ten when we get back to the top:
Blackluck -
Liquidated - looking for the booze
Luv_Muffin- up
Scowler - playing shuffleboard on deck
Percinho
Sir Toma
Greggo

no one bowed out of this sg right??? kinda hard to keep track of em all ehhe. after that start, we got ourselves a pack of lunitics for sticking to it.:D

Cheers!
-Liq'd

Top Bottom