• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there a a number of other variables that are affected by temperature and will affect fuel mileage (from tire pressure to various fluid viscosities) in addition to AC use, which is probably the biggest decrease from when temperatures are lower. Though from what I understand cold temperatures are generally worse (particularly while various components warm up to their normal temperature) but there is probably a point where it reverses.

Most of the changes are probably pretty small on their own but combined I could see them having noticeable effects.

True. AC compressors generally takes enough of your engine's horsepower to run that it makes a noticeable difference. Ignoring that, rate of speed and how little slowing down and speeding up you have to do(ie traffic) is probably the biggest single impact. If you could accelerate slowly up to about 45 mph and stay there until you reach your destination that is generally about as good as most commuter cars are going to get for efficiency. If you are more excited about getting home at the end of the day and accelerate harder that will also make a difference even if your cruising speed remains the same. Btw, don't tailgate - aside from being terrifically unsafe the fact that you are following somebody closely means you are going to constantly be adjusting your speed to match theirs. Terribly inefficient to do all that slowing and accelerating.

I've been reading some of the original Sherlock Holmes stories past few days. So question, the language and the dialog comes across as very stilted. Was that actually the way the gentlemen of Victorian London spoke? Or just how Doyle happened to write?

There's certainly a big difference between Victorian English and modern English. Victorian English will certainly seem more 'prim and proper' to the more recent versions.

True. AC compressors generally takes enough of your engine's horsepower to run that it makes a noticeable difference. Ignoring that, rate of speed and how little slowing down and speeding up you have to do(ie traffic) is probably the biggest single impact. If you could accelerate slowly up to about 45 mph and stay there until you reach your destination that is generally about as good as most commuter cars are going to get for efficiency. If you are more excited about getting home at the end of the day and accelerate harder that will also make a difference even if your cruising speed remains the same. Btw, don't tailgate - aside from being terrifically unsafe the fact that you are following somebody closely means you are going to constantly be adjusting your speed to match theirs. Terribly inefficient to do all that slowing and accelerating.

But couldn't you get some increase in fuel efficiency from drafting?

Not noticeably in any way that's legal on public roads. Tailgating is illegal for a reason. Few drivers are capable of it without great risk of accidents. You would have to computer control all the cars.

Cutlass has the right of it. Even following a car horrendously closely on an interstate really isn't going to make much of a difference. If you were on a race track traveling 160 - 200 mph it makes more of a difference. I suppose a semi tractor trailer might be big enough to move a significant amount of wind. You could try following those on the interstate to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

I know Mythbusters did a show on the efficiency/non-efficiency of drafting. It was pretty interesting. Basic takeaway, tailgating on roads during everyday travel doesn't save fuel, it just makes people more likely to kill somebody.

I just received this unusual email:

Hi [usernameididnotregister],

Thanks for creating a Nokia account.

Please verify your email address by clicking the link below. This confirms that your email address is correct so that we can use it to help you recover your password in the future, should you ever need to do so.

[authentic looking link to nokia.com]

If clicking the link doesn't work, you can copy and paste it into your browser.

Thanks again for choosing Nokia.

Should I be concerned? Normally I just ignore these things but this one appears as though someone actually used my info to try to register for something.

I just received this unusual email:

Should I be concerned? Normally I just ignore these things but this one appears as though someone actually used my info to try to register for something.

You should not be concerned if you have not clicked the link. They have just put your email in the register account form. They need know nothing about you but your email (do they? there is nothing else personal in the email is their?).

It is a new take on spam though. I think as spam filters become more sophiticated and widespread they are having to use more imagination.

You should not be concerned if you have not clicked the link. They have just put your email in the register account form. They need know nothing about you but your email (do they? there is nothing else personal in the email is their?).

It is a new take on spam though. I think as spam filters become more sophiticated and widespread they are having to use more imagination.

Hm, regretably, they used my business address which does contain my last name and first initial. I didn't click on anything, though. I've also sent nokia an email about it - I'll be really surprised if they care enough to reply, though.

Why do those ******* people who make viruses and send them to computers even make them?
It's illegal and a serious problem!
They should die in a fire or should fall in a volcano!
I'm getting furious and depressive because those malicious "people" are blocking my computer,but they will not fool me,I just do Sytem Recovery.

Why do those ******* people who make viruses and send them to computers even make them?
I'm getting furious and depressive because those malicious "people" are blocking my computer,but they will not fool me,I just do Sytem Recovery.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BREAKING THE LAW DON'T THEY KNOW THAT IT'S ILLEGAL AND A SERIOUS PROBLEM

madviking clears throat

Well, back on the topic of gas mileage and stuff, I got an amazing 20.7 MPG today (100 degrees).

That seems... Unlikely.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BREAKING THE LAW DON'T THEY KNOW THAT IT'S ILLEGAL AND A SERIOUS PROBLEM

madviking clears throat

Well, back on the topic of gas mileage and stuff, I got an amazing 20.7 MPG today (100 degrees).

I did 22 mpg in 98 degrees with full air blasting. 160 miles round trip. Although the car got too cold and had to crank it down a tad. Wait, there is no topic here, IS THERE?

Is there a place where I can find maps of the world that show how the world was thought to look at the time? So a map of how the world looked according to the Romans for example, the following being an example. Google doesn't seem to yield many results.

Anybody know of any videos of parliamentary fisticuffs set to Drowning Pool's Bodies? Thanks in advance for the opportunity to laugh myself hoarse for the rest of a day.

Anybody know of any videos of parliamentary fisticuffs set to Drowning Pool's Bodies? Thanks in advance for the opportunity to laugh myself hoarse for the rest of a day.
Speaking of which, was that Greek politician who slapped the lady on live TV last month ever caught?

Is there a place where I can find maps of the world that show how the world was thought to look at the time? So a map of how the world looked according to the Romans for example, the following being an example. Google doesn't seem to yield many results.

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_world_maps

Be careful though, "world maps" in many ancient and medieval cultures aren't generally meant to be accurate geographic representation. Some are conceptual, others distort landmasses to represent some information or to make a political statement, and fanciful or speculated lands were often added in to fill gaps in geographic knowledge, et cetera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom