The RPG

BCLG100

Music Master
As some of you may know i left for awhile, for reasons of my own, however i am back now and the first thing which i noticed to my horror (well disappointment really) was that the rpg had just been scaled down to one thread in the government. I spoke to Strider and he was in agreement with me.

Now i have looked at this thread and it looks very good however i would rather return the rpg to its former glory as it was in demogame 2 (i havnt seen DG3 RPG) so i can only base my facts on the first one.

Demogame 2 RPG-http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&forumid=82

I have asked Eyrei and Donovan if i can start this thread and see what public mood is like and this is basically it, if we could have your opinions on it, that would be great.

I realise that it will be a lot of work to get the rpg up and running and a few people have said that they will help me and Strider to set it back up, Civ General, Boots, Stuck, more people. however once that occurs, the rpg will draw people to it from other cfc forums causing people to come for the rpg ad stay for the demogame.

Let's give it a shot. I think it would be a good idea if we could get a full-fledged RPG back up and running, and it may well draw participation in the DG from more users than we would have without it. And I do think that we should probably base this substantially more on the DG2 RPG, given that the DG3 one flopped within about a month and a half (though I at least thought that it was fun while it lasted).

I would support it, So long as we use the ruleset from the RPG from DG2. I disliked the RPG from DG3 mainly because it was more of a "Running around getting mates, makin' babies, and mandintory death". I dont mind about getting mates and makin' Children in the RPG, But I dont like the mandintory death (Through combat, death by passage of time, or death from child birth (For female characters))

Originally posted by CivGeneral
I would support it, So long as we use the ruleset from the RPG from DG2. I disliked the RPG from DG3 mainly because it was more of a "Running around getting mates, makin' babies, and mandintory death". I dont mind about getting mates and makin' Children in the RPG, But I dont like the mandintory death (Through combat, death by passage of time, or death from child birth (For female characters))

Only you CG :rolleyes:

The DG3 story aspect was the greatest part of it, and something we would need to bring into a new one, but I think mainly we should stick with Shaitan's general idea's from the DG2 RPG.

I would like the DG2 RPG back as well, though without the bureocracy with banking and landowning, etc. That made it to complicated.

I would like a more free form RPG, where we have one game manager to make sure things do not get out of hand, and people just write reasonable stories, and players can form their own duchies, fiefdoms, or what have you. Basically what happens will be determined more by the people and less by the managers.

I'd like to see another go at the RPG, though not with DG3 rules, DG3 rules were lame.

well theres nothing to say we cant just come up with our own rules. which was what this thread was also about, if the rpg was set up what rule set would we use?

i like naervods idea however it may be difficult to stop it then from getting out of hand and therefore just make it an annoying spamming forum for the mods to clean up, so we would have to think of a way to stop this from happening.

Well if we have one or two managers just to oversee things, they could mod the RPG forum and it would be fine.

Any manager put in charge of the RPG main goal would be to bring more people to the RPG, or make it as fun as possible. Thus, the manager would most likely act towards the partcipants idea of "fun." Also, thing's tend not to work very good without atleast one strong leader, you have to have someone who tells everyone what to do, otherwise everyone will just run around confused.

Although, one main manager might not be a very good idea, two or three would be the best, because you never know when one might go alittle nuts on you. :rolleyes:

I agree, I think three managers would be the best, and if there was a certain issue to arise in the RPG, the managers could vote to make a decision.

Originally posted by naervod
I agree, I think three managers would be the best, and if there was a certain issue to arise in the RPG, the managers could vote to make a decision.

Well, right now I guess we have two :rolleyes:. Now we can always try to begin Shaitan our of retirement, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Anyway, back to the discussion.

Using the DG2 rules with some slight modifications and a added section for storytelling would be best. I'll go and pullup the old DG2 RPG rules later, REALLY busy right now. We might want to add some of the better DG3 RPG rules also, the DG3 was made to be more realistic, and drafting some of those might be a good idea. If we combine the best of both I think we can make this work out, as long as we don't do a crappy job at combining them.

i think that the managers idea is a good one however i do think that the citizens are going to need to get involved, so we may have to find some way of incorporating the citizens into the decisions.

but another question that arises is where the rpg will happen? we could ask for a seperate forum of the mods and TF but they would only agree to it if we had more people involved in the discussion aspects of it first, so far although the response has just been positive we have only had about 8 or 9 people discussing this, that number i doubt is even a third of the active demogame community.

Another thing that has to be asked, is the RPG going to run alongside the rpg for instance are we going to be the French in it, also are we going to stick to the same timescale as the rpg.

i think the answer to these would have to be Yes to both, otherwise the DEMOGAME RPG becomes just a random RPG that could happen anywhere.

I think we should include the ability to buy land tiles i liked this in the rpg however there should be a rule to stop monopolies of them occuring, and a rule to say people cant buy land for other people.

Originally posted by BCLG100
i think that the managers idea is a good one however i do think that the citizens are going to need to get involved, so we may have to find some way of incorporating the citizens into the decisions.

but another question that arises is where the rpg will happen? we could ask for a seperate forum of the mods and TF but they would only agree to it if we had more people involved in the discussion aspects of it first, so far although the response has just been positive we have only had about 8 or 9 people discussing this, that number i doubt is even a third of the active demogame community.

Another thing that has to be asked, is the RPG going to run alongside the rpg for instance are we going to be the French in it, also are we going to stick to the same timescale as the rpg.

i think the answer to these would have to be Yes to both, otherwise the DEMOGAME RPG becomes just a random RPG that could happen anywhere.

I think we should include the ability to buy land tiles i liked this in the rpg however there should be a rule to stop monopolies of them occuring, and a rule to say people cant buy land for other people.

We can think about another forum AFTER it has been worked out and the only thing left to do is set it up. No need to complex matters with it now.

Also, I would be against making this independent, lets run it aside the demogame, though be alittle loose with it, not overly though.

ok then so what else is there, the rules just need a little fine tuning, also though we could do with more citizen imput,

we should include stories as well, like those in the government forum (not intentionnaly meaning to rip that idea off :) ) but also we should include duals.

about the mandatory death thing, im not sure if we should include that idea as it would make the rpg a bit short lived for people but also it would add more realism to the rpg. so any ideas

No mandatory deaths! It just ruined the RPG.

I could be okay with land owning too, in theory it makes the RPG a lot more fun, but the rules has to be a lot easier.

If anyone starts to own 3x3 tiles and get an extra production bonus allowing them to produce 2 food, 3.75 shields and 1.95 commerce each turn from each of those tiles, which in turn allows them to build an army of swordsmen just to find out the support cost gets to big for them (which in turn gave them a mandatory heart attack and they died), then the rules are to complex!

Other than that, death, land owning and private armies can make the RPG very entertaining. :)

yer i really didnt get at all what you said in that paragraph but also, about the armies thing, it will be very hard to be able to work out what the rules are on the way in which an army could be raised.

to raisa an army though i think that we should include food for the army, so how about one food, wheat thing can support one unit,

we also need to decide on the way in which the armies are built, for instance do you have to have a city on your land tile to produce a unit???

i think that every land tile should be able to produce the most bog standard unit in the game, for isntance until we get to sowrdsmen everyone can prduce warriors on there land tile, then we go from there. however if you have a city you can produce any unit which can be built in the city. is that to complicated??

i probably havnt explained it that well.

are the armies going to require continuos support, if they do then people could buy more military units and support them with money.

basically what im trying to say is that every tile you own produces a certain amount of food and shields, one food can support one military unit, it takes a given number of shields to produce a military unit. however if you exceed your food limit or need to hurry a unit you could use your own money to buy extra shields. also buy extra food per turn or per whatever.

I am planning to write a draft of the rules later today or tomorrow. I will include the following aspects:
-Money/Income
-Titles/Nobility
-Landowning/Acquiring Land
-Conflicts and Raising Armies
-Storytelling

Most of this will come from the DG2 ruleset. Is there anything else people want included?

Top Bottom