Civ2-gotm12 *SPOILER TALKS*

Juize

Deity
Here we, who are finished the game, can talk about it.
Myself I'm too tired to comment.

If you haven't played Civ2 - Game of the Month 12 yet,
read no further...

(SPOILER WARNING)

Hope thats enough spoiler space.

so far so good.Got a horseman from the hut and then found many huts.A good mix of tech,units,gold,a couple advanced tribes and BARBS.
Went the conquer route with War Academy.Later Hanging Gardens as expansion continued.30 somethung cities at 1 ad.

my demos at 1 ad.

Attachments

• gotm121ad.jpg
    gotm121ad.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 266
So far not very good..

First hut was 50 gold and I had to wait for the warrior. Then I expanded as fast as I could but I think I lost too many units to conquer the Germans. Anyway, at 1AD I had around 15 cities.

I think all is about the beginning. I'll see in 1000 AD if I can hope of an early (1850:( ) landing. Now I'm 700 and still not sure.:)

Buahaha. Got archer from hut, moved it to north, destroyed Germans.
Get few huts, only 1 of 'em was barbs, and only one barb,
other we're elephants :D

Met Germans and babs. Babs changed maps.
Shortly after destroyed both.

The hunt for others went, but I met english with just a lucky coincidence.

I, furiosly (they were last ai) bombed them with gifts, but carefully kept bronze working
tech. Shortly after, they switched maps. The rest is history :D

It was quite foolish to end as fast as I could, I had just 1 wonder,
and 8 cities.

But 60 AD is quite good result :D :D :D

Whoa, I was as lucky as I was in last GOTM, but this time I posted it back inside time limit. :)

Hmmm, I thought 18 cities was good at 1 AD. Guess I was wrong.

I killed the blue pretty early with a NONE archer. Later I just played. No micromanaging whatsoever. No real thoughts. ...It was nice. I think it only took me 30 min to play or something.

I am in republic. I think it's the earliest I have ever went to republic (500 BC or something). My hanging gardens helps a little.

I have tried this "no-defence" tactic a little, but in the end I get too scared, and must build some anyway. What if....?

LOL kalkylus! I think I'll play with defense this time. I was impressed by Luckys game in GOTM 10. 45 cities with defense in almost all of them by 1 ad is relly impressive.

Well I have a message and some news.

First the news: As you all possibly know, the topic of ending the CivII GOTM is being discussed officially now. We need to recruit some more civII players. Let your friends know about the GOTM feature here so we can get our attendance back up!! And, to all the loyal players, keep up the loyalty.

Now, the message: Because of the impending doom. ALL GAMES WIN OR LOSS MUST BE SUBMITTED. IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPEND TIME MAKING A SUPER-CIV AND FARMING 250 CITIES THEN JUST CONQUEST AND SUBMIT. WE NEED EVERYONE TO SUBMIT THEIR GAMES REGARDLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

:lol: I got 1 advanced tribe and the rest only gave me horsemen, archers, chariots and legions, and they helped me conquer the world in the time the city of Rome must've celebrated its 100 year excistance in real history. :D I have the Pyramids, Great Wall and Hanging Gardens and 10 cities.
I'll submit in a minute.

Originally posted by willemvanoranje
:lol: I got 1 advanced tribe and the rest only gave me horsemen, archers, chariots and legions, and they helped me conquer the world in the time the city of Rome must've celebrated its 100 year excistance in real history. :D I have the Pyramids, Great Wall and Hanging Gardens and 10 cities.
I'll submit in a minute.

That's about the hope that I would got the fastest finish... :(

Well let's see;

The fifth time I started I was able to go north and kill off the Germans, and it went downhill from there. I was able to finish the game but I was nowhwere near in control, in fact I expected to be wiped out soon after the official end of game.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Sorry I did not know you wanted them submitted, I think I wiped it.

Originally posted by joecoin
Well let's see;

The fifth time I started I was able to go north and kill off the Germans, and it went downhill from there. I was able to finish the game but I was nowhwere near in control, in fact I expected to be wiped out soon after the official end of game.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Sorry I did not know you wanted them submitted, I think I wiped it.

If the 'fifth time I started' means what I'm thinking, Grr.
GOTM should only be played one time, with no info about what the game is about.

Well, the base problem was that you had too little amount of scout units. :p

Especially in Emperor/Deity games is wise to get 3 scout units immediatly on the
start, and explore huts. I usually make 1 horseman, 1 settler, build a city,
meanwhile another horseman, and 3rd comes usually from hut somewhere.

Then I continue with phalanx & settlers in both places.

Originally posted by Juize

If the 'fifth time I started' means what I'm thinking, Grr.
GOTM should only be played one time, with no info about what the game is about.

Well, the base problem was that you had too little amount of scout units. :p

Especially in Emperor/Deity games is wise to get 3 scout units immediatly on the
start, and explore huts. I usually make 1 horseman, 1 settler, build a city,
meanwhile another horseman, and 3rd comes usually from hut somewhere.

Then I continue with phalanx & settlers in both places.

Wait a minute, this is a "spoiler" forum. So what does it mater how many times I failed trying to get the game going? If you have'nt figured it out yet, I am a newbie.
How do you make 1 horeseman, one settler before you build a city?

I did all right - 22 cities by 1AD, game finished by 360AD, with the English being the last conquest.

I decided to go conquest all the way - small world and only 4 other civs with no respawn seemed like the logical choice.

I managed to get it done in a couple of hours and went against my usual science first routine and had high taxes - once I got writing, I pretty much bribed everything in sight. The capital cities eventually fell to overwhelming force.

It was an entertaining game, to be sure!

Hopefully the Civ2 gotm will stay around for a while yet!

Derk

Here we, who are finished the game, can talk about it.

The spoiler threads are not just used to discuss after you've finished. It's ok to post your progress on them for the enjoyment of others as long as you are not reading it to get game info. from it.

As for me, I've already discovered all civs so nothing in here could posssibly help me. :)

I've had a pretty good start. It looks like I'll actually finish this month. Can't wait to submit.

well I'm rolling along.Flying thru the tech tree.I made my SSC/Super Trade city offshore and it is paying huge caravan bonus.I have 4 other offshore trading cities but the one with Collusus is getting the majority until Flight.I'm filthy rich.Spending at least 5k per turn now.

I went Republic in 60 ad after getting it from a hut 2 turns earlier.I rushed some caravans and built Mich's the same year and immediately started celebrating.Haven't stopped since.:)

One thing bad is I am not getting any peace bonus.I have Marco's and I do have peace.Had it for many turns.Not a non barb combat for along time.Beats me.The ai has tryed the "contact" thing but I have monitored it every turn.

:confused:

I might have the fastest finish (it all went very quickly: germans, mongols, ...., babs, english), but my largest city has about 3 or 4 citizens at the moment, and I don't have a lot of cities. Without those three wonders it'd be even worse with my score!

Too bad I built a lot of settlers near the end, I had larger cities......lucky for me I was able to found new cities with all of them....too bad the english destroyed an advanced tribe I founded near their cities: it really helped destroying Hastings and conquering London.....

One thing bad is I am not getting any peace bonus.I have Marco's and I do have peace.Had it for many turns.Not a non barb combat for along time.Beats me.The ai has tryed the "contact" thing but I have monitored it every turn.
The peace bonus only applies after 200 turns, which would be 1750AD in this game. You can only accumulate score then.:p
I´ve tested it: Before capturing London I saved, turned on the cheat mode and set game turn to 200. Then I made an armistice with the English, ended the turn and got 3 peace point. Same save and setting game turn to 175 (~1500AD), same procedure and NO peace bonus. After that I set the turn to 200 again, waited another turn and wow, 3 peace points. Hope this helps!
:enlighten
Oh, and you don´t need a peace treaty, not even an armistice, just NO combat and barb combat doesn´t count! Even a state of war without combat is OK!
I might have the fastest finish (it all went very quickly: germans, mongols, ...., babs, english), but my largest city has about 3 or 4 citizens at the moment, and I don't have a lot of cities. Without those three wonders it'd be even worse with my score!
That´s how early conquest works. I´m trying a fastest finish myself and it seems it will be a very close call.:goodjob:
Wasn´t Rome founded in 753BC, according to the legend?:confused:

I started and finished the game yesterday evening, early conquest sure speeds things up!:lol:
My story will follow soon.

I'm in 500 ad. I have about 50 cities and am about to start celebrating. I'm still in republic and I'll try to go fast conquest since I killed my keyciv by misstake, :cry: I thought they had another city, :lol:

I'm always having problems with the time 1 ad to 1000 ad, what is your strat here? I really don't know what to do, :( Well I'll try to go into demo and reach a hell lot of points by 1000 ad and kill the last civ then, ;)

1750 eh?...you'd think I would know that by now.Thats what I was thinking-some game turn.

My SS will have arrived by then so no extra points for me.

Top Bottom