UNIT: Janissary

Jimmyh

Prince
This unit comes with, Attack, Default, Run, Death and Fidget anims.

It uses the sounds from the musketeer.

Here is the civlopedia icons:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?postid=421562

And the civlopedia text:
#PRTO_Janissary
^
^
^Turkish [Janissaries] are very fast infantry units who mainly fight with ranged weapons like bows or early muskets. They
replace $LINK <Musketman=PRTO_Musketman>.
#DESC_Janissary
^The Turkish Janissaries, originally were called 'Yeni Çeri' which means 'New Troops'. The corps was founded by bey Murad
I in the 14th century. they were staffed by youths conscripted from Christian families in the Balkans. After the
conscription they were defined as the property of the sultan, and practically all of them converted to Islam.
At first the Janissaries were put together of war prisoners, but later young men were taken from their homes at an early
age, and contact with their old communities were cut. Over time, the Janissaries were so successful that they grew into
one of the strongest power institutions in the empire. They could exercise this strength to influence the policy and to
defend their own interests. From the 17th century and on, they staged many palace coups to exercise this power.
But this would eventually be the main reason for their downfall. Their strength made them dangerous to the sultan, and
when the final battle over power came, the Janissaries lost, and all troops were killed or banished.

Thanks to Nahuixtelotzin for helping out in getting that.

Here's a preview pic of the death anim:

Cheers.
James.

Attachments

• janissary.zip
    149.3 KB · Views: 817
Looks like a very interesting unit. Could eventually be used in serious scenarios as a cheap & nasty guerilla warfare unit. Not that it looks cheap and nasty. That is just one idea for it as it doesn't look cheap and nasty certainly.

Great job!:goodjob:

You aren't cross with my comment are you? What I was meaning that it was so good it could be included as a potential guerilla unit that could be used as a low cost unit in a scenario.

Splendid Job!

One of the unit's where I was interested in, which had a perfect historical description! :goodjob:

Often i see a new units and say "Wow cool!"
And then when I read the comments, I see that the creator made cool graphics, but had no idea what he was creating :D

I repeat... I love this one! And you and the "Unpronouncable" made a perfect historical description! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Love it,

Btw is it the cossacks janissary? (dunno havent't played it for a long time now) If so, could you convert some more cossacks units?

I actually think someone talked about converting units from Cossack.

Amazing job!

I have a slight problem though : When I open the civilopedia, both large and small icons don't show anything, they arer black. I checked the Janissarysmall.pcx and Janissarylarge.pcx in my scenario's folder and they seem fine. What might be wrong? Can anyone help me? Also does anyone know about other new ottoman/turkish units?

Well, are you using Civ3 or PtW? It is somewhat more complicated to add a unit in PtW, and you would have come across the Civilopedia entries there. As far as I know, Jimmyh has 'retired' from converting units. I had a look at the civilopedia icons, and it looks like they were left in the wrong color ‘mode’. rapaz_grego, try these. I simply changed the color ‘mode’, it should work now.
Jan 09, 2003
Yoda Power- I actually think someone talked about converting units from Cossack.
Funny how times change isn't it, I couldn't imagine CFC without Steph's great Cossaks conversion collection :).

PCHighway --> Thanx! Now both icons show up. Initially there was a small problem with the large icon: The Janissary's jacket appeared pink in the civilopedia but after changing a few pixels in photoshop from black to some other dark color, it looked fine. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom