Refining The Forum Layout

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
Just continuing the discussion that was started here.

Now that the forums are here, we should talk about adding/moving/deleting things. (threads)

im still not happy with so many game critical or forum critical things going to the rpg forum. the offices are not placed very well there, as they are mostly forum-administrational, gameplay-administrational or governmental positions, with some game-information issue. have nothign to do with rpg.

I think Chieftess' idea for combining the turn chat schedule and registry with the turn statistics is very workable. The major issue against putting this in the main forum is that we need to keep our sticky thread count down. However, this information really should be in the main forum.

I propose another index thread for Game Critical Information (suggestions for better name are welcome). It would change the main forum organization (Code of Standards, Section A) from:
  • Intro Thread / Meta Index
  • Constitution
  • Judicial Log
  • Citizen Registry
  • Needed Stuff
  • Maps (Geographic Society)
  • Nomination index (seasonal)
  • Turn Chat threads
  • Election threads (nominations, polls)
  • Only mods should open threads here. A through G are sticky.
To:
  • Game Critical Thread Index (Indexes chat/statistics, constitution, Judicial Log and Map threads)
  • Citizen Registry
  • Needed Stuff
  • Constitution
  • Judicial Log
  • Turn chat schedule/instruction thread index/statistics thread
  • Turn chat threads
  • Only mods should open threads here. A through E are sticky.

Thoughts? It reduces the sticky threads to 4 (5 during election week). Active threads will stay on top regardless. There will always be a fast way to get to any of them through the indexes.

I think if the main forum is restricted so that only mods can open threads, we won't have too many threads. Hence, I'm not sure we'll need indeces at all. You love those indeces, don't you, Shaitan... ;) Seriously, if you really want something like this, I won't vote against it.

Indicies are a good tool, I'll agree. That is, as long as someone else takes all their time to manage them :D

On the stickiness of items in the main forum, I'd go ahead and keep our maps, constitution, and judicial log sticky. They would get rather hard to find, especially for those who need to update them. The use of sticky threads may eliminate the need for an index for the main forum.

Can you list your "Chat Turn" enteries as "Turn Chat".

Thanks - :)

I think indexes are good for newbies to find thru the threads. I also think shaitans idea for the "critical" things is perfect.

I again would like to discuss moving the offices and cities out of the rpg forum. they will soon be burried by rpg-threads.

I came in mid-game and the indexes were critical in getting my bearings. I didn't use them much afterwards but by then i knew where everything was

Originally posted by disorganizer
What exactly DID we layout so far? Was there a conclusion i missed?
The Main Forum:
  • Constitution
  • Judicial Log
  • Citizen Registry
  • Needed Stuff
  • Turn Chat threads
  • Only mods should open threads here. A through G are sticky.
To:
  • Game Critical Thread Index (Indexes chat/statistics, constitution, Judicial Log and Map threads)
  • Citizen Registry
  • Needed Stuff
  • Constitution
  • Judicial Log
  • Turn chat schedule/instruction thread index/statistics thread
  • Turn chat threads
  • Only mods should open threads here. A through E are sticky.
The Citizen Forum takes these from the RPG Forum:
Offices Index/Registry, Office threads, Cities Index/Registry, City threads.

The last sentence would be bad... would put too much in citizen forum (as we already discussed cutting some groups out of here).

I would propose:
Office-Index->Government, Sticky
Cities-Index->Government, Sticky
Offices->Government, Unsticky
Cities->Government, Unsticky

this would free the rpg AND the citizen forum. it would bring the whole governmental threads into one forum also.

as we brought the elections and nominations (as well as the FNN-Report hopefully) into the main forum (why did we nominate in the government forum this time?), the government forum will also be nice and clean during elections (and not like last game).

btw: please change "geographic society" to "cartographic office" ;-)

Good point, dis. We're already losing threads in the citizen forum (this one almost disappeared to dreaded page 2).

The government forum will be fully indexed so will be resistant to overcrowding.

I think it was just a goof that put the nomination threads in the government forum. As it was empty it didn't matter much this time. They will be in the main forum next term.

Top Bottom