How do we define our provinces?

chiefpaco

Emperor
How shall we define our provinces?

A few proposals so far:

Growing Capital Province
Our governor now takes control over every city that we build. The province grows until a certain size (# cities) and then a new province is designed as needed and so on...

Variant A:
Provinces start small (perhaps 3-4 cities each) and can grow as we get bigger as a nation.

Variant B:
Provinces start big (perhaps 8 cities each) and stay quite static as we get bigger as a nation.

City States
A new governor is elected for each city we build (maybe up to 3 cities or so). As we grow, governors are reassigned to regions.

i support the city-states version early on. we should also decline any mayorship then.

as alternative, we could have a 3-4 city circular province around the capitol with 4 provinces neighboring this.

pattern would be:
Code:
         |
  2      |     3
        / \
      /     \
-----|   1   |-----
      \     /
        \ /
  4      |     5
         |
(hope this comes out)

I'm in favor of static provinces as that will allow each to develope their own identity and history. Shuffling cities from province to province will only give us schizofrenic provinces and governors. ;)

I do think we need more governors/senators though. (Because I need a job. :)) I'm leaning towards variant A if we can manage to make three or four provinces around the capital city that would be fairly equal production/corruption-wise.

Actually, disorganizer's patter is what I have in mind. I don't like the city staes especially now that dis has pointed out that mayors would then fall by the wayside. (Hey, I said I need a job!)

Trouble is, we are on the north coast so we can't have provinces to the north - unless we move further south before settling.

What if we would leave the capitol as city-state (maybe enhanced with the directly connected cities, depending on geographic review) and then circulate our provinces around it?

The nice thing about city states is that we get a larger senate earlier. One possible con of this is that the production is not centralized at all. Not that this isn't bad for roleplay, but perhaps for the good of the nation.

Another, as donsig mentioned, is that I agree shifting provinces is bad.

Could we elect more governors now and then "assign" them as we get provinces?

no. no base in the rules for that. rules say:
governors of newly aquired provinces are appointed. only governors of existing provinces are elected ;-)

I proposed a system of sentors at large, which would seem to fix the problem. We'ed need a few changes to the CoL and CoS.

Also, I am in favor of creating large, static provinces, not neccisarily based on the number of cities, but by natural geographc barriers, like mountains, rivers, etc.

we should remember that joining provinces together is not as bad as it seems. even splitting may be good.
we split a province with no harm and we joined two of them into one with no harm in the last game.

if we startup with small ones, we could join and group them to get good production in all of them later on.

I agree with Octavian and think that we shouldn't mess with provincial borders to solve our senate issues.

I'm pretty comfortable with letting our governor run the land until we really can see how our provinces may be defined or the # of cities gets too much. I think anything else (especially city states) might be too much hassle for really little gain. We are still at quite an early stage and other systems may require a bit too much of speculation, IMHO.

Joining them? I know we've done that before, with Greater Cormyr and Chondote, but I'd be against it. Combining, seperating, etc. loses some of the heritage the each province has. Also, we end up with lots of confused people when the changes take place.

The progression of city states to provinces is a natural one. We'd simply be following in the footsteps of historical progression. The identities grown by the provinces need not be lost. The original city state provinces would eventually become the dukedoms and then counties of provinces.

we didnt in the last game though ;-)
only civinator was confused when he came back and his province was gone :p

anyways: should we info-poll this?

You know, dis, your missing the other end of the bold tag in you sig...

Anyway, just the setup of the game would make it more beneficial to have larger provinces to start. Lots of province approval polls would have to go up, and they might not even make quroum! It simlpy would be easier to start with larger provinces.

oct: hey thanks! it must have been lost on the way from apolytonia to fanatika. maybe that was the reason for the sole closing [/ B] in the apo-signature?

i think that the best way to handle the situation would be to create a multiplicity of small provinces that can then be combined and divided as needed in order to increase efficiency and decrease production. a quick and agile system such as this would be out best hope for maximizing our economic and industrial potential.

neutral leader is a good, responsible provincial governor

I like the concept of what dis proposed earlier:
as alternative, we could have a 3-4 city circular province around the capitol with 4 provinces neighboring this.

pattern would be:
Code:
         |
  2      |     3
        / \
      /     \
-----|   1   |-----
      \     /
        \ /
  4      |     5
         |
Obviously, it would need to be somewhat adjusted for local geography.

Sure, it is just a principle, but the lines will follow roughly geo-lines. Maybe we will have just a small inner province and extend it later as the others grow and have courthouses etc?

Otherwise, the 1 should be 4-5 cities big, the others maybe 10-12 cities i think. Always being modified by geo-lines of course.

The only problem with keeping the capital province in the middle is the fact it's on the sea. We don't know if there's a landmass on the other side, and if there is, it could be inhabitated.

Top Bottom