Diety Level Unrest

bmStrosstrupp

3rd SS Totenkopf
I have recently started playing on Diety level and I am having some problems controlling attitude levels. I expand quite alot during the early game and produce almost exclusively settlers until about 1000BC. I grab alot of land quickly but then have problems in growing the cities. Some of the later cities that I create start off automatically with an unhappy citizen. Is this because of distance from the capitol, or is there a limit on the number of cities you can produce before people get really moody?
Would it be a good idea to curb my expansion in favour of grabbing an early wonder like Oracle or Hanging Gardens?

Im new hereso maybe these questions are old, but I need to get aquainted somehow.

There is a limit on cities depending on:

Play level
map size
government type

Under Despo,small map.you are allowed 4 cities before a size 1 unhappy appears.Medium map-5 cities-large map 6 cites.

I can't remember the #s for the other governments.iirc its 6-8-10 for Monarchy.

Yes!..The Gardens is a very strong wonder on deity level.At deity,you need to build a little more than just settlers.Its still the same game but the order in which you do things is slightly different.

At deity your first cities start with a content, then after a certain amount of cities the first citizen is red, and after even more cities they start black. This also change with the government, i.e. the less advanced - the unhappier they are.
Expanding early on is usually the correct thing to do, but there are some wonders I put ahead of expansion:
The Colossus+Copernicus
Hanging Gardens or the Pyramids (depends on how you plan to grow your cities)

Oracle is crap - it doesn't last too long

Would it be wise then to slow down my rate of expansion so the Hanging Gardens can be completed before the construction of my 6th-8th city? The reason I mentioned the Oracle is because I usually dealt with the problem by rush buying temples a turn after the city was constructed.

Whats so bad about the oracle? Its effects expire with Theology so why bother researching it. J.S.Bach's Cathedral wonder has the same overall effect as that of the Oracle does'nt it? As well as that J.S.Bach's Cathedral only works on the continent it is built on where as the Oracle effects every city.

Its not really wise or unwise.Its a matter of of terrain and what it allows and also personal preference.You don't HAVE to build hundreds of cities.

The reason most don't bother with the Oracle is because they prefer to have Mich's and JSB and of course the Oracle is caput with Theology.And you need to build temples for it to do anything.This means upkeep costs also..at least until Adam Smith.
JSB is very different in that it also works on unhappiness caused by units in the feild under Republic or Democracy.In multiplay games the Oracle is always expired before its built!,It can be used effectively against the ai,but it seems to me there are better things available.

Oh and the JSB wonder works in every city regardless of the continent it is on.This is a mistake in the civlopedia.Also Hoover Dam is described as a "same continent wonder" but works map wide.
Cope's and Sir Isaac's are reveresed in the civlopedia descriptions as well.

I find that my knowledge of 'happiness' is somewhat vague. It seems a bit complicated. How else can happiness be affected other than by the amount of cities that have been founded? I noticed in one game that one of my 2 size cities had two unhappy citizens and the other 2 size city had 1. The latter being further from my capital. Is it something to do with trade generated? But then again it was at the start of the game and my luxury settings were 0%.

I thankyou for you time.

Once you start to exceed the city #s you get an "extra" unhappy citizen.Each subsequent city adds more "extra" unhappies until you eventually see black faces which are double unhappy citizens.Supposed to represent the people questioning your ability to maintain an ever increasing empire.

Non representative governments use martial law,improvements,wonders and luxuries at times.Monarchy and Despo,each unit keeps a citizen content(up to 3 units+3 content).In Commie,each unit stationed keeps 2 citizens content..

Representative governments use luxuries,improvements and wonders to quell unrest.

In Republic you get unhappy citizens from units in the feild(not in fortress within 3 squares of freindly city).First unit away from home makes a happy citizen content.Each unit after that makes a citizen unhappy.
In Democracy,each unit away gives 2 unhappy citizens.Also in Demo,bombers,missiles and helicopters create 2 unhappy citizens.Supposed to represent your people's aversion to such weapons of mass destruction or something.

Temple gives 1 content.If Mysticism is discovered,temples keep 2 content.

Colliseums give 3.4 with Electronics.

Cathedrals give 3 content.4 with Theology.

City improvements do not work on unhappiness in the feild except for Police Stations.

2 luxury cups will make a content citizen happy.

Trade arrows are the base.These are then distributed to science beakers,luxuries cups or tax coins thru your tax advisor screen.

Originally posted by Smash
Cathedrals give 3 content.4 with Theology.

I thoughtthat cathedrals started by making four citizens content and three after Communism is discovered.

No.3.Then 4 with Theology.Then back to 3 after Commie.Forgot about that.

City unhappiness is created by two factors, see extract from rules.txt

7 ; City size for first unhappiness at Chieftain level
14 ; Riot factor based on # cities (higher factor lessens the effect)

When playing at higher levels of government these figures are reduced by 1 for each step in government, so you can see why it becomes so difficult at deity, and may explain why deity +2 doesn't work as you would get unhappiness at city size 0.

ferenginar 71

Don't the Hanging Gardens expire early as well? Not as early as Oracle, but pretty early IIRC. I cannot remember with what advance, though.

I believe the Hanging Gardens expire with the discovery of railroad. In which case I suppose the Hanging Gardens are far superior to the Oracle. In my most recent game, which I am still playing, I was beaten to the Hanging Gardens. It was a bit of a set back because at the time I had 10 cities out but I have come to realise how important Marco Polos Embassy is so I switched to that. Did you know that it even tells you the cities your enemies are building wonders in! With this I use an assult of diplomats to sabotage the production and ensure that the wonders I want, I get. Sadly this was not the case with the race to Hanging Gardens.

What are peoples views on which wonder to build first? I usually go for the colossus first. Although I have been thinking about making that a second to Hanging Gardens because I expand alot in the early game.

bmStrosstrupp, there is a thread, "Poll: Favorite Wonder - Ancient" that is only a few weeks old. But I do not know how to insert a link in my post. It's in the "Civ2 - Strategy & Tips" forum, just scroll down that page of threads a bit.

Most like Hanging Gardens on higher levels, but there is some difference of opinion on which is best overall.

Originally posted by Marlos
bmStrosstrupp, there is a thread, "Poll: Favorite Wonder - Ancient" that is only a few weeks old. But I do not know how to insert a link in my post. It's in the "Civ2 - Strategy & Tips" forum, just scroll down that page of threads a bit.

Here ya go. :)

Top Bottom