Newbie Questions: Ask here and get answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
(New Thread)

You want to know something and can't find it in the FAQ?

Ask here!

Don't bother to read through the entire thread, just ask and there's lots of people willing to help.

Please DO read throught the relevant section of the FAQ thread (which is also a sticky) before you post though.

I'm not sure if this is a newbie question or not, but I'm wondering about war in Chieftain mode. I've played through several games at this difficulty level with absolutely no war, not just involving my civilization, but everyone else on the map as well. I've experimented a little with the number of civilizations, the map size and land/water ratio, the game rules and allowed victory conditions, but world peace persists. How boring!

Maybe I'm just used to getting in a few wars after playing SMAC for so long. I kinda miss how the choices you make in ideology would effect other factions views on you, I wish things worked in similar ways in Civ III, perhaps with your choice in government.

I'd like to learn the ways of war on the easier settings before moving on to the harder ones. Are the chances of war higher on each more difficult setting? I know I could simply declare war myself, but I prefer to play from both sides (the agressor and the defender.)

Waffle: just declare war :lol:

seriously, if you are too good the AI will fear you.

Try to give each civ very little land, be aggressive - they WIL declare war UNLESS thes fall so far behind they fear you too much ;)

you can easiyl play as the defender by simply taking two dice, rolling them each tunr - and declare war on someone when you get to your second 12. Then, do NOT move towards him. that way you will NOT be perfectly prepared.

Also, try Regent. It sounds as if you are ready for it!

Waffle-
Sounds like you're being "too nice" with the AI. If you act the nice guy they'll often leave you alone. Try some of the following:

1. Pick the AI civs at the start. Go for the psychopaths - Bismark or Shaka are good for a laugh. ANy civ with high agression will help get the wars going.

2. Make outrageous demands. Keep everyone angry with you (or some of them).

3. Lots of MPPs and Alliances. If they aren't mad at you, get them in an alliance or MPP. Then pick a fight with someone else. With any luck the AIs will lay into each toher too.

4. Give them no lebensraum. Make sure your settlements go right up to theirs. If the AI can't expand without fighting, it'll fight eventually.

And if you want to play "the defender" - just declare a war and let them get on with it. You won't be "the victim" but you can't have everything.

If that is too premeditated, try this. Say "at the end of this century I will declare war on ...." and use some kind of random selection - roll a die, toss a coin, make it the next AI to talk to you, whatever. that way the war will be a surprise of some kind.

Failing all that, just declare war on everyone anyway. Whether you start it or they do, it's all much the same for tactics. KILL, KILL, KILL :)

if everybody has a MMP with everyone, who do people fight for when war becks out, if they have have MMP with both?

madscott, lebensraum is a term used by germans only. we call it space to live..................... your not german are you?

farting bob: lebensraum is NOT used here much anymore - nazi implications. Actually it passed into American English same as Kindergarten and Angst and Ostpolitik.....

on the MPP: an MPP gets triggered by an attack OUTSIDE the defenders territory. So whoever is the poor guy who does it forst gets the wrath of the whole world onto his head.....

Originally posted by farting bob
if everybody has a MMP with everyone, who do people fight for when war becks out, if they have have MMP with both?

Depends. Whoever fires the first shot will get war declared on them. And so forth with all the other stuff; if another country fires a shot against another, it'll activate MPPs with those other countries.

Seriously though, if you have a case where EVERYONE has an MPP with everyone there's something up.

Originally posted by shmee10
how do you attack ????? with ground units like warriors and spearmen???
Move them into the tile occupied by the other units. They will fight them.

I've already asked this in the old newbie thread but no one answered.
What does precision bombing do?
Thanx.

I think it gives your fighters and bombers the ability to hit specific city improvements in a target city. But not very sure, since I have never played until that level before...

Arvedui: sory, I never used it since the latest patch. And I guess hardly anyone does.

AFAIK, it supposedly increases your chances of hitting buildings, as it only targets them. Weird.

but I don't know of anyone who knows if it works.....

How can you end or renew RoP's and peace treaty's (or normal luxury trades) like the AI does most of the time after 20 turns? (In a peacefull way)

a) check every once in a while when the 20 turns will be up (Details in PTW F4 screen, Civ3: offer new deal, then select active at the bottom). When it's over (.e. no (number) beside the deal, click it and renegotiate

b) select 'always renegotiate deal' in preferences. This will AFAIK not work for peace unless there's a per turn component in the peace treaty.

if this is NOT clear enough, scream - I can post screenshots to show you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom