Screenshot of the Day #83: Barbarian Galley

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
In ancient times, you see barbarian triremes along the coast very often. But as time goes by, they eventually disappear from the face of the earth, except in today's screenshot:

It's 2034 AD. The Egyptians have been destroyed, with a bit of a nuclear war. Most cities were razed. I was moving settlers to establish cities and whoa! There's a barbarian galley. The next turn the barbarian galley ambushed my transport.

http://www.civfanatics.com/sotd/sotd83.jpg

Thanks to hbdragon for the screenshot.

I've gotten so sick of those barbarian galleys that I've edited the rules so that the barbarians get battleships instead. There! Much better...

Usually I only see galleys in the end-game when they are trapped in fresh water lakes and which are damaged by my coastal fortresses. I should not waste maintenance money nor shields with coastal fortresses since they don't destroy galleys!

Hehe, he looks like he's been hunkered down there a long time.

globetrotter, if that was a random map i will eat my shoe, just after i vomit in it.
in myedited game, my barbarians have tanks and stealth bombers in the ancient ages. it really does make you build up your defences early,even on sedentry barbs.

There's a galley in a (salt-water) lake in the first Civ 3 demogame. (I think it was finally destroyed after 1800AD in that game). But, it was a 1hp gally just off the coast of a city. (now, just imaging if it had bombard...)

I had a similar thing happen last night. The Greeks were destroyed by the Carthaginians. Their policy was to raze the cities so I moved in with a bunch of settlers with no defenders.

Wouldn't you know it, barbarians soon popped up, in 1918 CE!

I never realized they would show up in the later stages. Ha, you learn something every day!

Originally posted by Globetrotter
This map looks like the UK with Ireland on its side...
Was it a random map?

I submitted it...no, it's not random. I downloaded it from Civ3.com, one of the scenarios had a UK and I thought cool! I used it.

instead of come up with barbarians, should perhaps have roaming terrorists.

I've modded my game so that there are, kinda sorta, terrorists in the game. I changed it so that instead of warriors, barbarians are mech infantry. Furthermore, i changed the horsemen to modern armor. How's that for terrorists? :p Only thing is, it's really tough to defend against barbs in the ancient, middle, and prolly up to the industrial age ( if any camps survive until then... ) Especially scary when theres a barbarian uprising ( 20some modern armor on the doorstep of a city guarded by pikemen :eek: )

EDIT: Ahh, forgot to mention I modded the galleys to be battleships. very annoying to have them constantly bombard improvements... :mad: grr, not only that, it takes several galleys to take one down... :lol: so it's either constantly repair improvements or waste time n resources building galleys.... :cry: makes the game more fun, nontheless, since theres no more wandering galleys still trying to sink battleships in the modern age...

Originally posted by Oceanus
Hehe, he looks like he's been hunkered down there a long time.

Well, no ship has ever had to go there. Who needs to go that far in? I happened to see that galley as I was using the settler to establish that city you see. I had ROPs with the Americans and Iroquois and the railroads just gave me a glimpse of it. I investigated with the transport you see there.

Usually I only see galleys in the end-game when they are trapped in fresh water lakes and which are damaged by my coastal fortresses. I should not waste maintenance money nor shields with coastal fortresses since they don't destroy galleys!

They only take 4 turns to complete, and they have no mantienance upkeep. That's more than enough reason (to me) to build those costal fortresses.

It's 2034 AD. The Egyptians have been destroyed, with a bit of a nuclear war.

Are you sure they're not mutants that have sprung up from the ashes of civilization? :D

Wouldn't that be an interesting new unit! It could have totally random hit points for that mutant quality--don't know if the mutants themselves could be random, maybe have an all-purpose mutant unit?

Top Bottom