Alternative fortresses

aaglo

Furioso!

Attachments

• modfort.jpg
    modfort.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 8,165
Here is the file terrainbuildings.pcx. It also has the new version of the barbarian camp by Thunderfall ;)

Attachments

• terrainbuildings.pcx
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,360
Good job! :)

I also tried to make a fort that would graphically show the effects it has.

Now everybody knows, if you build forts side-by-side (diagonally), the enemy can't pass through. If you build forts 'corner-by-corner' (vertically or horizontally), the enemy can pass through the gaps between the individual forts.

Now this was the first design. It looks quite good, but there's an ingame flaw (a graphical one), that makes these kind of forts look bad. The pic in the next post will show you why.

In this pic you can see why these types of forts don't look so good. When placed next to a river, the river is always drawn on top of it.

So, to my loss, the forts shouldn't fill the whole tile :(

This pic shows, how the rivers flow on top of the fort - and it doesn't look very good in these larger forts... :cry:

aaglo, I think it's looking very nice! I downloaded it and will give it a tryout. I agree with you: The original modern times fort is just so ugly. The other original forts I think are at quite acceptable IMHO.

I wonder whether your industrial fort would look even better without the tower in the middle. Resources would be more visible.... just an idea.

Thank you for your efforts! :goodjob:

Yep, I thought of the same idea about the industrial era fort (about taking the ugly tower away). But it wouldn't make the resources more visible. The resources are allways on top of the fortresses... ;) But still it would propably look better.

<< Yep, I thought of the same idea about the industrial era fort (about taking the ugly tower away). >>

Do you think you will find some time to try and do it? Really just asking, do not take offence :) It's just that I am not computer/software/Photoshop whizz enough to do it myself. If you will not further work on your file, that's ok, too. It's already much nicer than the original. Cheers!

These forts look great, much better than the originals. As for the tower in the Industrial era fort, you should probably remove it just for historical reasons. Those types of forts were designed to minimize the effect of cannons--having a big tower in the middle of your fort wouldn't help in that regard. Hence, towers were rarely, if ever, built into these types of forts. Just my 2 cents though. I think the forts look great.

Aaglo, you will see the medieval fort in Fantasy Empires 2.0. :)

OK, I did remove the tower from the industrial fort, but I didn't bring the file here (I'm at work ;) ), so I'll bring it tomorrow. And I also changed the medieval fort back to the original (because it was better than my new version).

I'm curious to see the new file then, aaglo. And I'm not convinced that the original medieval fort looks really better than your version of it :) Again, thanks for doing all this. I think it's great that there are generous people like you here. :)

I think, that your medieval fort is better than the original. :)

Top Bottom