The world of Lone Wolf: Magnamund.

mrtn

Shaven not stirred
Once upon a time, in the mid eighties, there was a series of Solo Adventures (aka Choose Your Own Adventure) featuring a hero called Lone Wolf. The world where his adventures took place is called Magnamund. This is a map (for PTW) without rescources (if you don't count all the volcanoes :) ) of Magnamund. To fill it with rescources, just open up your favourite bix-editor, and choose map/Redistribute Rescources. Before you do this, you should check which starting locations have extra rescources, so that they don't get too much of a disadvantage. The map is set up so that mountains is completely impassable, and it is impossible to build cities on desert, tundra and jungle.

"You have come to a Magnamund thread started by mrtn.
*If you have any comments, post them here.
*If you want to know more about Lone Wolf, or even play some of the adventures, go here!
*If you want to download the map (at last!), go here."

Edit: Here is the C3C version of the map!

Say! Weren't those books like "Choose Your Own Adventure", only with turn-based battles?

Yes. Is that the American name for it? I've gotten that question before.
Edit: If you download this map, please post something, so I know if someone cares or not.

I think so. I remember a friend showing one to me and talking about it.

Originally posted by mrtn
Yes. Is that the American name for it? I've gotten that question before.
Edit: If you download this map, please post something, so I know if someone cares or not.
I care
I'm a big fan of Lone Wolf and still have all the original books up to number 12. I've just downloaded and I'll check it out tonight. Are you planning on turning this into a full mod/scenario? I'd be very keen to help.

Has anyone tried the map?
Tried it last night - it looks real good. I compared it with my map in the The Prisoners of Time book and it looks very accurate. It would be nice to have new terrain types for swamp and wasteland and maybe chasms considering their importance.

I have a few suggestions and comments:
-1-Surround the 'mongol/Darkland' start position with coast rather than volcanic mountain. In a scenario I think the only way in and out of this place would be via zlanbeast/kraan. It makes it an impregnable stronghold and very difficult to remove this player from the game.
-2-Include the Lakuri Isles so that a scenario could include Lakuri Pirates.
-3- I appreciate that it's too late to rejig the map now but more land mass in the Kalte Wastes for an Ice Barbarian civ would be nice.
-4- Where the rhymerift is (bit of water that separates Durenor from the rest of the continent. The rift should run for almost the entire length with the land only connecting at the top and bottommost parts - this makes those land bridges strategically more important and outpost or fortresses and units can be placed there.

All in all I think its a great basis for a major mod and additional scenarios!

Originally posted by KingArthur

Tried it last night - it looks real good. I compared it with my map in the The Prisoners of Time book and it looks very accurate. It would be nice to have new terrain types for swamp and wasteland and maybe chasms considering their importance.

I have a few suggestions and comments:
-1-Surround the 'mongol/Darkland' start position with coast rather than volcanic mountain. In a scenario I think the only way in and out of this place would be via zlanbeast/kraan. It makes it an impregnable stronghold and very difficult to remove this player from the game.
-2-Include the Lakuri Isles so that a scenario could include Lakuri Pirates.
-3- I appreciate that it's too late to rejig the map now but more land mass in the Kalte Wastes for an Ice Barbarian civ would be nice.
-4- Where the rhymerift is (bit of water that separates Durenor from the rest of the continent. The rift should run for almost the entire length with the land only connecting at the top and bottommost parts - this makes those land bridges strategically more important and outpost or fortresses and units can be placed there.

All in all I think its a great basis for a major mod and additional scenarios!
I'm working on a mod for this map. I've changed the map a bit for the mod. I think that Warpstorm's jungle works as a swamp, just pretend it's called swamp. :D And remember that it's impossible to add terrain, it's just possible to rename terrain. I've thought about renaming desert to wasteland, and plains (which isn't really needed) to desert. The reason for this (not just keeping desert as it is) is that I want flood plains in the Darklands, so the Darklords get enough food. This isn't on top of the to do list though. I really need to get the tech tree working first.
Your points:
1. Volcanos look cooler than light blue water. And, as it is a mod (you start from the begining) they need to be able to leave the island! And, remember that mountains is impassable for everyone, so you can only get close to Helgedad from one tile, which is good enough I think. I don't think there will be any pterodactyl/kraan graphics made. :( And remember the iron bridge going over to Helgedad. And that the AI must be able to use the map.
2. Already done.
3. Remember that you can't build cities in tundra. The only tile you can build a city in Kalte is in the hill tile at Ljuk. But, the fur resources are distributed over the whole Kalte. So, if you have barbarians in the mountains (impassable) there, you really have to protect your roads and colonies. :nya:
4. There is only two tiles that connect. I think that's enough. Where they connect shouldn't be that important.

Playtesting has led me to adding Talestria as a civ. If you want I'll post a later version of the map/mod. I have changed the civs, so that citylists and leaders are more correct. And modded leader graphics and added giaks (goblins) as barbarians. And some other things. :)
If you know of any heroes from Lourden, let me know. :)

I thought you might have already started. :D Post a later version and I'll have a look. It sounds great.

It's a shame about not being able to add terrain. As an alternative to flood plains in the Darklands why not add a resource that generates food there. Something like algal pools (you could take the pollution graphic from the game and change the colour to green).

I remember the iron/steel bridge now and the volcanoes do look cooler than the water (I just tried it out).

About the Kraan - maybe someone will do a Lord of the Rings Wraith riding a winged beast. I imagine you've already got the warg rider earmarked for a Doomwolf rider?

The tech tree will cause you many headaches I think. There will be many civ specific techs that you won't want anyone else to get.

I can't think of any heroes from Lourden off the top of my head but I'll do some digging for you.

All the best.

I thought you might have already started. :D Post a later version and I'll have a look. It sounds great.

It's a shame about not being able to add terrain. As an alternative to flood plains in the Darklands why not add a resource that generates food there. Something like algal pools (you could take the pollution graphic from the game and change the colour to green).
The good thing with floodplains though is that it is 'invisible', at least if you place it behind a mountain. A big green blob would be quite ugly.

I remember the iron/steel bridge now and the volcanoes do look cooler than the water (I just tried it out).
I already tried. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. :D

About the Kraan - maybe someone will do a Lord of the Rings Wraith riding a winged beast. I imagine you've already got the warg rider earmarked for a Doomwolf rider?
You bet!

The tech tree will cause you many headaches I think. There will be many civ specific techs that you won't want anyone else to get.
I'll try to steer away from civ specific techs, as that is almost impossible. I'll have it so that when you discover armor, the humans can build 'med inf' and the Darklords Drakkarim.

I can't think of any heroes from Lourden off the top of my head but I'll do some digging for you.

All the best.
There is very little info on Lourden, at least in the Magnamund Companion. I've not even found a leader, so the leader is now called Arlcor (as the 'Senate of Arlcor'). I've been playing a few games as Lencia, as they are quite isolated in their corner, just to check how the AI expands. I've added resources, but not their use, so you'll find timber, but not be able to use it for anything yet.
Get your newer version here, here and here. (6 megs in total)
This is the tech tree for the first age:
EDIT: Obsolete tech tree removed.

Looking good. Just a few suggestions and comments

Durenor:
Some great leaders are: Lord Axim; Admiral Calfen.
The noun and adjective of Durenor is Durenese
Civ colour should be light purple (their flag is a white mountain on a purple background)

Sommerlund:
Some great leaders are: Captain D'Val; Lord Rhygar; Prince Pelathar.
Civ colour should be red or yellow (emblem is the sun)

Dessi:
Proper name is the Magiocracy of Dessi. The noun and adjective is 'Elder Magi' not 'Elder Mages'.

Vassagonia:
Noun and adjective is Vassagonians.
Some great leaders are: Barraka
Casiorn is an independent city-state not a city of Vassagonia.

Are you planning on adding other civs?

According to this map the royal arms of durenor is a white mountain on a black background. And I want to use the Crusader graphics for a Knight of the Mountain UU. And a white civ colour cross on a white background is invisible. :)
Sommerlund: OK I think Slovia should have red (a black horse on red), but Lourden doesn't have to have yellow, I think.
Dessi: I know it's called the Magiocracy, but I think that name is too long. Just dessi is enough IMO.
Vassagonia: The people is called Vassa, so that's correct. And I also know that Casiorn is an independent stat, but it's the same people. And I've done this numerous times, just to get enough city names, for some countries I only had a few names, so I took names from neighboring states. But I've put them on the bottom of the city lists, at least. :)
And here is a Excel sheet with some units lines and stuff. It's subject to change, for example I think I'll use the Swedish pikeman as a Slovian pikeman. And use the new Chaos warrior as a Drakkarim. Some words might be in Swedish, but you'll get the general idea at least.
I wont add other civs.

A new version of the excel sheet with buildings (which I need help with) added.

Attachments

• mrtn_magnamund_excel2.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 531
A new version of the excel sheet with buildings (which I need help with) added.

Some building suggestions:
*Apothecary - replace hospital(?)
*Coach Station - gives some sort of commerce bonus.
*Gaol - happiness bonus (keep the scum off the streets)
*Daziarn Portal - replace airports comes after you manage to harness the 'Daziarn plane' tech.
*Trading Post - commerce bonus again.

and some GW suggestions:
*Healing Elixir (e.g. Laumspur Potion) - replaces Battlefield Medicine and comes with the 'Herb Lore' tech.
*Tower of the Sun (maybe a bit Sommerlund specific though).
* Plague Synthesis (like the Cener Druids came up with) replaces Manhattan to give you plague weapon (replaces nuke) - use the spell or gas bomb unit graphics.
* Plague Vaccine replaces SDI to give you protection against the above!
*The Arboretum (bit sketchy on this but didn't the Zakhan of Vassagonia have a sort of 'room' with every tree/plant species in existence) -this could replace hanging gardens or something that just gives a culture bonus.

Some other things you might want to try and fit in:
Necromancy (build zombies)
Evocation (Death-hulks and Crypt Spawn)
Battle-magic (build Vakeros)
Sorcery (lets you build those fantasy cruise missile unit graphics as well as Nadzarim and Mages)
Psi-abilities (build Kai warriors and Helghast)

Other units you could employ:
Sharnazim for Vassa, Vakeros for Dessi, Ogrons (mercenaries with hidden nat)

Erm, I think that's all I can come up with for now. If you have a newer version of the bix or spreadsheet pls post it. I hope you reconsider adding more civs

Some building suggestions:
*Apothecary - replace hospital(?)
*Coach Station - gives some sort of commerce bonus.
*Gaol - happiness bonus (keep the scum off the streets)
I like these.
*Daziarn Portal - replace airports comes after you manage to harness the 'Daziarn plane' tech.
*Trading Post - commerce bonus again.
I don't like these. The Daziarn Portal takes you to another world, it doesn't teleport you halfway around Magnamund. The Airport is out. The Trading Post sounds like something from colonization, not a big building that increases commerce. What do you think about a 'Merchants Guild'?
and some GW suggestions:
*Healing Elixir (e.g. Laumspur Potion) - replaces Battlefield Medicine and comes with the 'Herb Lore' tech.
*Tower of the Sun (maybe a bit Sommerlund specific though).
* Plague Synthesis (like the Cener Druids came up with) replaces Manhattan to give you plague weapon (replaces nuke) - use the spell or gas bomb unit graphics.
* Plague Vaccine replaces SDI to give you protection against the above!
*The Arboretum (bit sketchy on this but didn't the Zakhan of Vassagonia have a sort of 'room' with every tree/plant species in existence) -this could replace hanging gardens or something that just gives a culture bonus.
Laumspur Potion is a good idea. What is the Tower of the Sun? I don't remember that, and what would it do?
I don't like the idea of nukes.
The Arboretum is good. It could require Spices, which only exists in Vassagonia. This means that only Vassagonia or one of two trading partners can build it.

Some other things you might want to try and fit in:
Necromancy (build zombies)
Evocation (Death-hulks and Crypt Spawn)
Battle-magic (build Vakeros)
Sorcery (lets you build those fantasy cruise missile unit graphics as well as Nadzarim and Mages)
Psi-abilities (build Kai warriors and Helghast)

Other units you could employ:
Sharnazim for Vassa, Vakeros for Dessi, Ogrons (mercenaries with hidden nat)

Erm, I think that's all I can come up with for now. If you have a newer version of the bix or spreadsheet pls post it. I hope you reconsider adding more civs
I don't remember any zombies from Lone Wolf, and I don't think it really fits.
Where Death Hulks those Ironclads? Or those wrecks full of undead? I might add them (the ironclads), but I'm not sure.
Crypt Spawn: We don't have any Flying Brain graphics, and I don't think we'll get any.
Vakeros is a good idea. Do you have any suggestion for unit graphics?
I won't use the cruise missiles, but I'll use the spell graphics as the Magician AttackB graphics, and the Temujin graphics for the rest of the Magician.
What were the Sharnazim? Some sort of Vassa warrior? I'm thinking of using the Turk Pikeman from Cossacks as a Vassagonian pikeman.
Ogrons: I don't remember these either, and I don't think hidden nationality units is a good idea, as the AI hunt them hard.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll call the Forbidden Palace 'Castle'. Is there some special civ you want to add?

I like these.
phew, I was ready to give up ;)
The Daziarn Portal takes you to another world, it doesn't teleport you halfway around Magnamund. The Airport is out.
Ok, I was just trying to see if I could fit existing stuff into the mod. What about renaming it 'Teleportation' then and putting it on the tech tree. There was a crystal star wizard who could teleport - he popped up in the Caverns of Kalte book.
What do you think about a 'Merchants Guild'?
A merchant's guild is good
What is the Tower of the Sun? I don't remember that, and what would it do?
"The tallest tower in the Kai Monastery. It contained the various Lore Halls, Kai Masters' Hall and the Grandmaster's Hall." Later on Lone Wolf has a chamber built there to house the Lore Stones.
I don't like the idea of nukes.
They wouldn't be proper nukes but something from the Lone Wolf world that's just as devastating eg. the plague virus developed by the Cener Druids the one that intially wiped out most of the Elder Magi.
I don't remember any zombies from Lone Wolf, and I don't think it really fits.
They were there in the second book and manned those Death Hulks.
Where Death Hulks those Ironclads? Or those wrecks full of undead? I might add them (the ironclads), but I'm not sure.
Yup the wrecks full of ex-sailors who couldn't keep a hold of their body parts. You should put in the Ironclad, the pic in the books is actually quite like the iron clad in the game. About civ traits I think the Darklords should probably be Militaristic + Scientific.
Vakeros is a good idea. Do you have any suggestion for unit graphics?
[/B]
Well they were dark skinned warriors with very little clothes so you could use the Impi and give him a bombard ability to represent their use of battlemagic. I'll look and see if there's anything more appropriate.
I won't use the cruise missiles, but I'll use the spell graphics as the Magician AttackB graphics, and the Temujin graphics for the rest of the Magician.
Good idea. Have you looked at the Sorceror unit graphic? I have only seen a still shot of it so I don't know if it might be better than Temujin.
What were the Sharnazim? Some sort of Vassa warrior? I'm thinking of using the Turk Pikeman from Cossacks as a Vassagonian pikeman.
I'm not sure about the spelling this is from memory (which isn't always reliable). They were elite warriors dressed in black (look very much like the Assassin unit that you have reserved for Helghast). They were in the Shadow on the Sand book and apprehend LW at the start of the book.
Ogrons: I don't remember these either, and I don't think hidden nationality units is a good idea, as the AI hunt them hard.
They are fairly numerous in the Stornlands acting as mercenaries for the various warring states. They are large (10 foot tall and broad) and blue-skinned (a bit like an ogre).
Thanks for the help. I think I'll call the Forbidden Palace 'Castle'. Is there some special civ you want to add?
No problem I know you'll make this a good mod as your map is of a very high standard. About a special civ - let me think about that one I have a couple to chose from.

...Ok, I was just trying to see if I could fit existing stuff into the mod. What about renaming it 'Teleportation' then and putting it on the tech tree. There was a crystal star wizard who could teleport - he popped up in the Caverns of Kalte book.
That's just one magician. I don't want you to be able to teleport all your crossbowmen to Toran. :)

..."The tallest tower in the Kai Monastery. It contained the various Lore Halls, Kai Masters' Hall and the Grandmaster's Hall." Later on Lone Wolf has a chamber built there to house the Lore Stones.
Copernicus, or some other scientific wonder.

They wouldn't be proper nukes but something from the Lone Wolf world that's just as devastating eg. the plague virus developed by the Cener Druids the one that intially wiped out most of the Elder Magi.
The AI will still think of it as nukes, though. And the Cener Druids isn't in, Ruel is very small. And no one else should be able to construct a plague. I refuse!:mad: ;)

They were there in the second book and manned those Death Hulks.

Yup the wrecks full of ex-sailors who couldn't keep a hold of their body parts. You should put in the Ironclad, the pic in the books is actually quite like the iron clad in the game. About civ traits I think the Darklords should probably be Militaristic + Scientific.
I want them industrious so that they aren't too stuck in the desert/wasteland.

Well they were dark skinned warriors with very little clothes so you could use the Impi and give him a bombard ability to represent their use of battlemagic. I'll look and see if there's anything more appropriate.
Do that.

Good idea. Have you looked at the Sorceror unit graphic? I have only seen a still shot of it so I don't know if it might be better than Temujin.
I've checked it. I'll use the Temujin fidget (he waves his arm) as AttackA.

I'm not sure about the spelling this is from memory (which isn't always reliable). They were elite warriors dressed in black (look very much like the Assassin unit that you have reserved for Helghast). They were in the Shadow on the Sand book and apprehend LW at the start of the book.
If you find any better graphics for the Helghast, I'm all ears. :) Or for the Kai lords, for that matter.

They are fairly numerous in the Stornlands acting as mercenaries for the various warring states. They are large (10 foot tall and broad) and blue-skinned (a bit like an ogre).
I don't think they will be in, at least not from the start.

No problem I know you'll make this a good mod as your map is of a very high standard. About a special civ - let me think about that one I have a couple to chose from.
Remember that it should fit in mapwise also. I've tried the map some times, and the start of the game is quite good as it is. (Except that the last time Durenor conquered a Dwarf city in the Stornlands :lol: )
BTW I wonder who the other three are that downloaded the excel sheet, or are you hoarding them?:D You guys, please stand up. :)

Edit: Wouldn't the Sommerswerd and the Seal of Hammerdal be good wonders? Maybe one of them could act as a great wall?

This is the latest incarnation of the excel sheet. It includes (=mentions) some building graphics that I'll use. The text in red is changed from the older version. I t also has more wonders than the last one. This zip also includes Tech Tree.doc which is the tech tree for the first age (the one posted above) and Second Era.doc, which is what I have (it's very rudimentary) of the rest of the tech tree.

Attachments

• mrtn_magnamund_excel3.zip
    23.5 KB · Views: 388
I've added the first era into the bix now, except for wonders, which isn't finished yet. This is a screenshot of the science advisor screen. I might change some few things, but the start of the game will look quite like this. The mod is now about 20 megs, so it's gonna end up quite big. :)
I have more than 20 new tech icons too. Check this!
KingArthur, check pm and/or mail. I want your comments.

Top Bottom