RBP10 - Spanish Explorers - Team C Interest Thread

hotrod0823

Deity
RBP10 - The Spanish Explorers (we're "exploring" Deity only to find out that there's plenty of people who've been living there for quite some time!)

Civilization: Spain
Difficulty: Deity
Standard Map
Continents, 30% land
Random Opponents
Roaming Barbs
Victory: Just win, baby!

Version: PTW 1.21f (if you *can't* play in 1.21f, speak up now!)

Roster:

Team C

There has been some interest from players lurking in the Team B thread and to avoid any spoiler's etc. I created a Team C thread for anyone who may want to participate in a "neophyte" deity game. If the roster gets full I will post the start and start pictures here and get this Team off and running. All you need is a "host" to keep the ball rolling and 3 other team members willing to play, discuss and have fun.

Hope there is enough interest for a 3rd team. If not I think we may be able to expand the roster to 5 but the goal is to limit the rosters to 4 to allow a bit less time between rounds to keep all players involved.

Hotrod

I'm not a total Deity newb, but...I have only one Deity attempt, and win (diplo), under my belt. RBCiv Epic 17 you can read on my website http://www.kaejae-worx.com/~devin under the Civ3 menu.

I've been out of the Civ loop for abit, am currently only playing Epic 28 and can probably spare enough time to play my turns as they come up. I'm very good about posting a skip if need be.

I've *never* played Diety on PtW yet, though, so this'll be a touch new to me too.

So, if you still need people and don't mind having one guy with a little Deity experience (albeit out-of-date experience), sign me up.

I'll stop reading any further on the threads "B" and "C" now...don't want to spoil it.

Is this v1.21f or 1.14f of PtW?

Interested Players:

Quokka
falsfire
Jumbo2002
Despot (sorry missed your post in the B game)

As soon as the roster is complete I will post the start and you all will be off and running. On the version I think Gris started the game in 1.21 so your stuck with it. Will have to check with Griselda.

Added you to the roster jumbo. Look like with one more player and confirmation by Quokka you'll be able to start in no time :cool:

Added Despot to your roster, missed his post previously in the B game post :blush:

Looks like you all have a full roster.

RBP10 - The Spanish Explorers (we're "exploring" Deity only to find out that there's plenty of people who've been living there for quite some time!)

Civilization: Spain
Difficulty: Deity
Standard Map
Continents, 30% land
Random Opponents
Roaming Barbs
Victory: Just win, baby!

Version: PTW 1.21f (if you *can't* play in 1.21f, speak up now!)

Roster:
Team C
Quokka
falsfire
Jumbo2002
Despot

Teams A and B , and C will not look at any spoiler information from the others' game until their game has ended! Hopefully we can keep things rolling along with 4 players and be able to discuss things at the end.

No exploits as defined here- http://www.realmsbeyond.net/civ/etactics.html

24/48 is a good rule of thumb (you have 24 hours after it becomes your turn to post a "got it" message, and 48 hours after you post "got it" to play and post your turns). Of course, as a small group, the most important thing is to maintian good communication! The rules may need to be bent in certain situations.

The first two players from each team will play 20 turns, then everyone will play ten turns from then on (unless the late game demands 5 turns per round).

Does this sound all right with everybody?

Team C members please "check in" here.

The first start Griselda generated looked pretty interesting, and actually pretty unique:

That's fresh water to our west, and salt water to our east, and the site doesn't look too bad for shields in the long run, either, for a coastal start.

Are we ready? I'm looking forward to a fun game!

http://civfanatics.net/upload4/rbp10start.zip

Fantastic. Confirm me, I'll even get baptised if thats what it takes.

1.21f is fine

I am in Perth, Western Australia, which is 12 hours ahead of the east coast of the US and Canada. If I am rostered between 2 North American players the turn around between turns could be much shorter.

Confirm me too. I'm in Central Canada, in Central Daylight Time (GMT -6h00m).

If you want me to play the opening turns I can, but I will not be able to until Friday at the earliest. If a start in the very near future is desired, perhaps somebody else should go first.

A preview of my "playability" schedule is:

Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays are no problemo.

Wednesdays and Thursdays are out, as I have nightschool til 10PM, and I work fulltime days.

Fridays, maybe, dependant on how soon I need to go out to get in a touch of "real life"

Thanks, hotrod, for getting the ball rolling here. It seems that none of Team A's lurkers were interested in playing, so I didn't know there was interest. :lol:

I completely forgot that I'd lost the random seed when I generated the start in 1.21f. I didn't want to make the map in the editor, for obvious reasons.

I hope this team is looking forward to :whipped: each other along, because it looks like hotrod and I are going to need to check out pretty soon here!

See you all at the end of the game! :beer:

-Griselda

As I mentioned above, I'd gladly start this puppy off, being a person with *one* Deity game under my belt. But I won't be able to play til (maybe) Friday, or definately Saturday I can git me turns in...are you guys okay on waiting til then or would someone else rather take the start?

Falsfire, I"m fine with you taking the start.

I had an ok Diety practice game yesterday...I (Greece) started off stuck in 4CC mode between the Koreans, English, and Babylonians. (All 4 Civs started on the western side of a large continent.) I held my own for a little bit, claiming territory from England and Babylon (helped out by a war between the two of them) to get up to ~12 cities and was just getting comfortable when Korea attacked me. My hoplites performed well for a little while...but the stream of Korean MDIs eventually overwhelmed an important strategic point and then marched on Athens. :(

Anyway, I'm sure that this team will do better! :hammer:

BTW, I'm in Boston, MA, EDT.

Falsfire, I'm fine with you starting as well.

Have you ever tried the early 2nd worker gambit (ie Warrior, Warrior, Worker)? This looks like a goob place for it. Lots of Plains to irrigate and Forests to chop, every tile in our start zone needs improvement and we aren't Industrious. Any thoughts on the idea?

Looks like we have
Falsfire GMT -6
Despot GMT -5
Jumbo GMT -5
Quokka GMT +8
If you are going to play Friday night that order would let you 3 play Friday night also and then I can get it Saturday morning here and have it back for Saturday morning over there. Bump me up the order if someone can't play until saturday.

"got it"

will play as soon as i'm done dinner, and post my turns tonight if i can. quokka should see 'em when he gets up tomorrow morning australia time...

actually, i had to get it from the team "B" thread's start file, as the link in this thread did not work. hope that's okay. i didn't read anything into their game...

:confused: Out of curiousity what is our play order is it what quokka posted above? Or is jumbo or quokka ahead of me? :p

I don't know if there is a play order set yet. I'm just about to play my turns. Since you're listed next, Despot, if you can play after I handoff my turns tonight, we might as well stick with the listed turn order.

Just remember guys, if my turn(s) come up for Wednesday or Thursday evening, consider it an automatic "skip" for me due to my classes.

RBP10 4000BC - 2900BC

Firstly, guys, since this is an "intro" of sorts to Deity, don't mind me if I strategize my turns "out loud" in writing up my reports. Its always good to understand the reasoning behind why people do the things they do.

Secondly, I'm going to try and push for my usual Deity strat, which is to setup one "settler factory" city (usually the capitol), that can pop 'em out every four or five turns at the most, one worker farm, and two to three decent shield cities for building military. If we can secure more than five good reasonably low-corruption cities peacefully, then we can add more settler/worker farms and/or troop production cities.

With that said, I look around at the starting position, and try to "visualize" the shields/food that we can get, to try and make the magic numbers to make our capitol into a settler factory.

4000 BC (1): I send the worker north onto the grassland game I'm going to forest-chop, irrigate, then road. This will give us four food under Despotism. Growth=power. Found Madrid on the starting tile, order up a warrior for scouting, then request Pottery @ max for granaries.

3800 BC (5): First warrior built, heads off scouting to the south. 'Nuther warrior ordered up.

3600 BC (9): 2nd warrior built, heads generally SE to scout. In all odditties, I decide to build a WORKER, I want to get our tiles around Madrid improved ASAP to start churning settlers.

3250 BC (14): I am by my very nature a gutsy person, so I decide to enter the GH found to the south. I know this is Deity, I know we're not expansionist, but what the heck. Fortune favours the bold, no? Of course, I draw three angry barb warriors.

IT: Only one barb attacks, and we hold him off without taking a scratch. We don't promote, either, sadly.

3200 BC (15): Major :smoke:, I didn't realize I was still running 20% lux 80% science with Madrid at size one after the worker popped out! Grrr...I change it back to 0.9.0, still -1gpt, at 9g.

IT: One of the other barbs attacks our warrior in the forest, we defeat him, taking only one hp damage and promote to veteran.

3150 BC (16): I fortify our 3/4 vet warrior in the forest adjacent to the one remaining barb.

IT: We defeat the last barb with one hp left, and don't promote.

I played to 2900 BC. By my count, that's 20 turns...I might have miscounted, it's been a long week. If so, forgive me.

Our lands as of 2900BC:

It looks like we drew an island start. I'd recommend heading towards map-making as soon as possible. We should thus research Writing next, then Map Making. This way we can get off this rock as soon as possible, and make contact with other civs so we can trade. I'm running a bit short on time, R.L. demands I head out soon, otherwise I'd do us up a dotmap. If any other players in this game are capable of doing so, feel free and I'll comment on it when I get home l8r this evening.

The rax in Madrid is a placeholder for a granary. Was my early 2nd worker weed? It is a 1gpt drain on our treasury, BUT...if we make good use of him we can get our lands improved sooner, and regain that lost gold. Not to mention grow faster.

Here is the save:

rbp10-2900bc

Top Bottom