Rome Deity Always War

Zwingli

Prince
Civ3 1.29

Civ: Romans
Landform: Standard Continents 70% water.
Opponents: 6 Random
Land Setting: Arid, Cold, 3 Billion Years.
Options: Respawn and Cultural linking off. Everything else standard.

-----------------------------------------------
Caesar had always been fond of metal objects. His throne was decorated with copious gold and silver, and he took pride in giving detailed orders to his goldsmiths as they crafted elaborate works from precious metal. Thus it was of great consternation to him that all Roman weaponry should be made from common rock rather than fabulous metal. Unfortunately, gold was too soft and rare to make useful weapons, so Caesar ordered his goldsmiths to investigate the possibility of fashioning weaponry from copper. Paying his smiths but the barest wages for their toils, it was quite a long time before they learned the craft of Bronzeworking. Rome outfitted a few troops with the new bronze weapons, but the metal was still too soft to make decent offensive armament. Ill pleased that the best offensive Roman soldiers would still fling ugly flint arrows at the enemy, Caesar ordered the smiths to dig deeper into the earth to find a more suitable metal. The years dragged on as the miserable metal smiths tested various rocks and minerals and fashioned new types of sword and armor. In the course of time an emissary from the Huns (Germany) was sighted, bringing word of the knowledge of Iron and of the existence of two other great civilizations, the Chinese and the Babylonians. Caesar, considering himself emperor of all the earth, was enraged that anyone should live free of his rule, and promptly declared unending war on any who would not submit. Seemingly distracted by unseen events, the huns did not take any notice of Caesar's declaration, and few foreign troops were seen for many years. Finally, after years of meandering effort, Caesar's metal smiths perfected Ironworking, and notified their master that a plentiful supply of the metal was within the limits of Rome itself.

Soon, Roman workers had begun harvesting the metal ore, and Caesar grudgingly spent some of his precious gold to outfit Roman warriors with new armament. But when Caesar saw the results: row upon row of soldiers clad in gleaming grey armor he almost wept for joy. Finally he had metal weaponry to arm his invincible legions and to punish all who would defy the Emperor of Rome.

A certain advisor (whose name is lost to history) suggested that the iron supply should be disconnected in order that more of the old club wielding warriors could be trained without expensive armor, but Caesar would hear nothing of making those disgusting stone age troops ever again. Shortly after the first magnificent legions came on the scene, the Chinese civilization introduced itself, and gladly traded maps with Rome for some of the treasury. China was far larger than the territory of the Huns, and had their own supply of iron ore within their borders. Caesar decreed that no other civilization would ever make soldiers to challenge his legion, and ordered 9 divisions of his new troops to lay waste to Chinese territory until their Iron supply was destroyed.

[translation]
I took the first randomly generated start which came up, although I would have restarted if the start position didn't look promising. With Deity tech costs I just ran minimum science on Bronzeworking then Ironworking, and was surprised to see Iron right next to the start position. I didn't contact anyone until a German spearman showed up around turn 60, and the initial map trading (yes, they already must have had Map Making) showed evidence that Germany was already at war with another civ (note a missing city in the territory map). Also Germany's land is much worse than Rome's (mostly desert and mountains), so when China contacted me shortly after the legionary upgrade, they became the primary target of the new army. The legions were sent straight for China's iron supply, and triggered Rome's golden age while destroying a small town along the way. I happened to meet Babylon (the last civ on the home continent according to the diplomacy screen) while destroying that town.

I traded maps before declaring war, revealing that Babylon was also quite a lage civ which had aquired the Great Pyramid. The high defense of the legonary allowed them to reach the Chinese Iron with little opposition, and while pillaging it I saw the Chinese swordman (shown in the screenshot below) attack a Babylonian Bowman. Babylon was at war with both Germany and China :crazyeye: ! Maybe this won't be impossible after all :D.

The group of legions to the south of the pillaging group would destroy an additional Chinese town and a spear/settler pair.

Reports from the northern front were encouraging. Roman soldiers had destroyed several Chinese towns and occupied their sole source of iron, reducing them to using primitive archers or ineffective horsemen. Protected by the rough terrain of central China, legions were even now burning down farmland and mines on the outskirts of Beijing itself. On the eastern front a handful of divisions (initially sent to on a resource raid) had captured or destroyed much territory from the surprisingly weak Germans. Inspired by the grand success of the invincible legions, Rome was in the midst of a productive boom, manufacturing new armor at an unprecedented rate.

Yet Caesar still had good reason to worry about the future of his empire. Rome was technologically backward after so many years dithering on metallurgical research, and the salary commanded by the hoards of legions exceeded the constraints of local support, eating away at the imperial treasury. The greatest threat came from Babylon whose sturdy Bowmen were pushing back China and Germany along side the Romans. All legions who attempted to attack the Babylonian iron supply were destroyed by great numbers of inferior Babylonian swordsmen on the open plains.

Thus, when Caesar learned of the construction of a Great Library in Berlin he made the capture of this city the highest priority, and assigned his most elite units to the task. The knowledge he might plunder from those books could ensure the survival of Rome for many years to come.

Although the starting land was not perfect, I could not ask for more of a lucky start for this varient. Rome is isolated from the northern rivals by a huge stretch of jungle which delayed contact with Babylon and China until after 1000 BC. Babylon continued to wage all out war against China and Germany long after I met them and declared war myself. To top it off, Germany built the Great Library in Berlin just as a decent group of Roman units was approaching.

Since Bablyon had access to iron well within their territory, their swordsmen and bowmen relentlessly conquered Chinese territory, and successfully counterattacked incoming stacks of legions. In order to make lasting progress against Babylon, it would be necessary to make a naval landing on their iron supply in the Northern Mountains. Unfortunately, Rome lacked the technology to produce ships until Berlin was captured in a protracted (2 unsuccessful attacks) siege, and the Great Library yielded it secrets.

250 AD South-Eastern Map

Northern Map

Even while the mini-armada on the way to take out the Babylonian iron, I tried to make some progress with legions massed out of the captured city of Lagish. A stack of around 12 units with constant reinforcements burned Akkad and Nineveh while Bablyon was still distracted by China, then even managed to capture the city of Babylon itself. The capture was short lived as Bablyonian culture was nearly 10 times that of Rome causing unending resistance in the city. Unwilling to destroy the Pyramids, I sold all improvements and let the Babylonians recapture their former capital. The sack of their capital seemed to catch the notice of the Babylonian army, and most of the remaining legions were slaughered by attacking swordmen. Babylon refounded their lost cities, but the war weariness from the offensive pushed them out of Republic. Finally, by 550 AD Babylon's iron was severed ending the supply of new swordsmen for good.

Around the same time China had been reduced to only a few cities, and apparently sued for peace with Babylon. The first indication of this change in foreign relations was hoards of (leftover) swordsmen and bowmen heading South near Lagish toward my holdings in former Germany and the all important Great Library. Up to this point the game had been a slugfest with Bablyon rather than the typical defensive always war, but now I would have to scamble some catapults or face a losing battle of attrition.

You are truly crazy to even attempt this variant of the game on deity. With your great starting location and a little bit of luck, you might own the entire continent without meeting/fighting any of the civs on the other continent.

I am looking forward to reading your next installment. Keep pounding away at the Babs and the Pyramids will soon be yours.

Caesar always liked to get away from the throne room at times like this and sit alone in his treasure vault. All day it had been a non-stop uproar with the science advisors crowing about all of the new information from the Great Library, generals lobbying for their favored defensive formations, and weapons experts giving their appraisal of "the thing". Raised on a special pedastal amidst the treasures of gold and bronze was the armor of mighty Trajen who led the constuction of this new palace in Babylon. Once the capital of the hated enemy, the city was now the seat of Royal power. Yet fighting Babylon was like wrestling a hydra, and even with the loss of their premier city and supply of iron, they seemed to replace each lost city with two new ones. From the royal balcony, Caesar could see the front line with Babylon to the North, and the manuvers of the infinite Bowmen.

The 7 season controvery following Caesar's proclaimation of Monarchy had limited progress and allowed the forces of Babylon to march on Roman soil, even burning cities in the Germanic province. Ever since China and Babylon had joined forces at last against the threat of Rome, all territory was paid for in blood.

What finally turned the tide was the use of new settlements to deny the use of land to the enemy. The supply line from the Roman province to the city of New Rome (former Babylon) had given the empire control of the Southern half of the continent, and even now a vast army capable of defeating the Babylonians was being assembled at the front. The Bowmen were always present, harrassing supply routs and wearing down Roman soldiers, but the legions could kill 3 of these detestible units for each loss with the aid of friendly catapult crews.

The whole plan was in question now. What technology governed the strange vessel which appeared from over the horizon in 950 AD. What could be done about this new threat, the Americans...

I think the answer is rather obvious.

Kill em all!!!!!

Yes, the story does not end with the American contact. The upcoming stages might take a while, but I'm going to keep at this one until the end :) .
-------------------------------

America has contact with Zululand and Japan, and each nation occupied its own island. Japan inhabited a cursed rock filled with ice and desert, and was behind the Romans technologically. Shaka had better land with sole access to dyes and gems, which allowed him to slightly surpass Rome in scientific achievement. Caesar was most jealous of America who possessed a wide and varied land containing the world's supply of furs an two sources of horses and iron. America was technologically advanced far beyond Shaka or Caesar, having the ability to freely Navigate the ocean, and contained the Sistene Chapel, Bach's Cathedral, and Copernicus's Observatory. Caesar vowed to take or destroy all of these lands in due time, declaring total war.

It was Babylon who remained the most immediate threat to Rome, and Caesar unleashed his offensive forces on Babylon at last. Since legions took a long time to get to the front, horsemen were employed to suppliment the attack power of the advancing column.

This mixed force broke through the unending Bowmen, pushing the Babylonians from their stronghold in the North. Before the Great Library of Berlin became obsolete, information on how to produce armored horsemen was found among the books, spelling the doom of Babylon. Knights wiped out the primitive bowmen with ease, and out of all this successful combat came a multitude of great leaders. Leaders produced a new Palace in Babylon city, Leonadro's Workshop, 3 organized armies, the pentagon, and the Heroic Epic. By 1200 AD the last Babylonian and Chinese cities were removed from the continent.

With control of the home continent, Caesar turned his attention to America who even now was showing utter distain for Rome by attempting to construct settlements. The years of unending warfare had left Rome with very underdeveloped infrastructure, and the people were in awe of the cultural achivements of overseas nations. Did Caesar have a plan to keep up with his rivals?

Impressive!! You keep this up the world will be your's by 1500:;):

Owning the home continent should make me immune from defeat by conquest, but the game is far from won. The early isolation of the three offshore civs has slowed down the early tech pace, but has allowed each of them to focus entirely on infrastructure while I built almost excusively troops. :wallbash:
------------------------------
Rome was in the midst of an economic revolution as libraries, banks and marketplaces were constructed throughout the land. New cities were founded to replace those burned during the great war to destroy Babylon while Roman scientists strove to match the achivements of overseas nation. Despite these efforts, America was running away with a huge technology lead over all competitors. Soon flotillas of American Frigates were bombarding the shores of Rome in ever increasing numbers before Roman science had even perfected Chemistry. America also completed the great wonders of Newton's University and Smith's Trading Company while Caesar could not yet concieve of their importance.

In the brief period before America got warships, Caesar saw an opportunity to deal a blow to the Japanese economy using a sea lane between the main continent and Japan. Since most resources were devoted to infrastructure, Caesar only had leftover legions and a spare musketman to send at Japan. 8 divisions in total landed on a Japanese mountain, bent on pillaging the land. Japan was stronger than expected, sending waves of longbowmen and swordsmen at the force until it was completely destroyed. The invasion force held off 3 Japanese units for each loss, and managed to temporarilly disconnect Japan's iron supply, but they had not dealt the crippling blow Caesar had envisioned.

As the Japanese task force was being worn down overseas, the Americans began to step up their own invasions on the Roman homeland. Invaders armed with advanced weaponry (riflemen and cavalry) captured Canton, and used it as a base to conquer 2 more Roman cities before adaquate reinforcements could be brought in for a counterattack. The Zulu also began to land invasion forces in increasing numbers, and Rome's scattered and outclassed defenders were hard pressed to cover the extensive coastline.

Caesar needed to pull together a desperate plan to prevent one of the other nations from becoming dominant by culture or diplomacy. He was determined to launch a full scale invasion of the most powerful opponent of all.

Zwingli, this is a great cliffhanger - mainly because i have great faith in your ability to pull of something. Now back to reality: they have rifles and you have swords?

Txurce,
For a brief time I was fending off cavalry and riflemen with legionaries and knights. Fortunately, shortly after the Americans took Canton I discovered Military Tradition and was able to neutralize that particular threat. At that point, America was about 4-5 required techs ahead and Zululand was 3 ahead.
---------------------------------

For years, the Americans and Zulu ruled the seas with their frigates and relentlessly pounded the coastline of Rome. Worker teams struggled to repair the enormous damage to coastal infrastructure, but they were being overwhelmed. The newly invented cavalry were making it easier to hold off invasions, but Caesar did not yet have the means to fight on the open ocean. America suddenly seemed to become fixated on the island city of Nipur, and sent 2/3 of their fleet (around 20 ships worth) to pound the city into dust. Caesar spent a limited amount of funds to aid in Nipur's defence as the American ships were diverted from their coastal bombardment of the mainland, giving the exhausted workers time to make repairs. The Americans landed shipload after shipload of troops onto the island, but the hilltop city held out for a while. Finally, when the city had been bombed into rubble, the last damaged spearman was taken out by a Zulu attack and the city was burned to the ground.

The Americans then returned to shelling coastal improvents, but Caesar was unfazed. He commissioned the construction of a great armada to establish a permanent presence on the American home island. Cavalry, cannon, and musketmen were assembled from every city, and the old caravel fleet was upgraded and supplemented with many additional ships. As Roman scientists studied the Theory of Gravity, spies from overseas heard talk of American Industrialization and a quest for Universal Sufferage. However, the long struggle for Nipur had unseated the former American government, resulting in a Communist regime. Shipwrights and gunsmiths continued to toil as world events unfolded, and shortly after the discovery of Nationalism Caesar's grand armada was complete.

The Zulu and American fleets dominated the seas, but the Galleons departed without any defensive ships. There was not time to assemble a significant number of Roman warships, so Caesar ordered his captains to face death with courage. The armada was attacked 3 times by American warships sending 2 loaded galleons to the depths. Fortunately, the bulk of the American fleet was busy bombarding the opposite shore of the home continent allowing the rest of the ships to make it safely to America.

Miami was burned to the ground, and the fortress of New Cumea was established on a hill. The landing met little initial resistance, but surely Lincoln would not tolerate the presence of a Roman city on his homeland.

Indeed, the same year Lincoln attempted his largest invasion to date, landing 12 divisions at the same time. Since the majority of Roman forces were now holed up in New Cumea, Lincoln's attack force managed to capture Leipzig due to the scarcity of Roman cavalry.

At New Cumea, the American's launched a fierce attack of many cavalry at the city. Just when it looked as if the defenders would be worn down by the repeated American cavalry charges, Caesar ordered his riflemen to organize into 3 unbreakable Armies. Lincoln send wave after wave of cavalry and riflemen at New Cumea, but due to the strength of the city walls, the persistance of the cannon fire, and the tenacity of the Armies all attackers were obliterated.

Caesar had a city which could hold fast against any assault, even without the ability to send reinforcements. Now he consulted his admirals on how to take control of the ocean to allow more troops to be safely deployed overseas.

Zwingli, youre a Mac based Charis. Pulling off a fortress like that... I cant wait to see how this one ends. I just wish to ask the RBC lurkers out there (I know you're reading...)- has anyone pulled off a sucessful Deity AW? Epics 6 and 27 were Monarch and I know that RBP7 isnt done yet, so has this been done?
(Yea, Im an RB Lurker. BTW, where is the signup thread for 31?)

Zwingli--great read so far! Good luck.

SAAM--Urugharakh is the only one (to my knowledge) that has pulled off a win in deity AW.

Signup thread for Epic 31 is here.

Bam-Bam

Stuck_As_a_Mac,
Thanks for the commentary :D. I did take in some ideas from the RBC succession games, such as the multi-army defence strategy from an RB Always War game.
--------------------------------------------

An Unsettling Discovery

At first, the defences of New Cumea appeared to be completely invulnerable. Each wave of attackers was completely destroyed, and the Armies were able to fully heal after each season. Caesar's defense analysts had predicted that the Armies would be able to handle 7-10 cavalry per season, and further estimated America's production capacity at 5-8 cavalry per season. For a few years Lincoln did send the expected number of troops, but the numbers had suddenly increased to 10-12 cavalry per turn. This number continued to grow as the American rail system was improved, and the Armies were slowly being worn down despite the day and night effort of the cannon crews.

Also, the massive American fleet had suddenly ceased all shore bombardment, and was being withdrawn out of sight. They could only have one possible destination.

But the production discrepancy was most disturbing and unexpected for Caesar, and he commanded all of his advisors to investigate the matter. There was something wrong with American culture as Roman historians pointed to a sudden decline around the time of the founding of New Cumea. After several seasons of research, the advisors discovered the source of the problem. America had completely dedicated their economy to military production; America was Mobilized. :eek:
-----------------------
To Be Continued...

Ouch!

That does sting a bit. But I'm sure you'll find a way to exploit it to your gain.

At least you'll catch up on tech now ;)

Lincoln was bent on destroying New Cumea at any cost. Every ship and every division was immediately redeployed to assault the city. For the first time in centuries, Rome's west coast was free from naval bombardment, and American invasions of the mainland ceased. Japan and Zululand also focused more than half of their strength at New Cumea, sending their soldiers overseas to aid the Americans. The fate of the entire world war would be determined at the walls of Cumea.

At first, the fierce attacks were replused with no lasting damage, and 8-10 American divisions were obliterated by the Armies each and every turn. Destroying all of those retreated cavalry inevitably produced great leaders, one of which formed a cavalry army.

The American fleet arrived in force, shelling Cumea and its surroundings. Cannons out of Cumea blasted nearby ships, and the few ironclads which had been rushed to completion picked off a few vessels. However, America's fleet was vast, and the ironclads were becoming worn down, so even galleons were employed to attack damaged American frigates. If Lincoln's fleet could destroy the harbor or barracks of Cumea, the results would be disasterous.

Gradually the American Navy was sunk, and Caesar ordered his galleons to depart and bring back reinforcements for his planned offensive. 3 galleons were destroyed on the way, but they took 3 frigates with them to the depths. Note that fighting had produced another leader for an Army. Confident in the strength of Cumea's defense, Ceasar sent the new Army with a single cavalry escort on a pillaging mission (this will be important later on).

However, Caesar had underestimated the Americans who now attacked with overwhelming numbers every turn (see An Unsettling Discovery). When Caesar removed an Army from the city in preparation for his offensive, things began to fall apart. A particularly intense attack reduced the Armies in Cumea to half strength, forcing Caesar to abandon offense and pull back to the city. Now the defenders were being worn down season by season with a reduced reserve of hitpoints.

In this time of need Trajen, who had constructed Caesar's palace in Babylon, now arose on the Roman homeland. Caesar assigned Tragen to attempt the pillaging strategy against Japan which had failed earlier. Japan was producing ironclads, so destroying their economy would go a long way to gaining control of the seas.

The assaults on Cumea were relentless, and finally a devestating attack by around 20 combined Zulu and American cavalry managed to destroy one of Caesar's prized rifleman Armies. The city could not survive such attacks with only 2 denfending Armies, so Caesar desperately assembled a new Army composed of 3 heroic (elite*) cavalry and the last rifleman division in Cumea. If Caesar had not sent that extra army on a pillaging mission, surely Cumea would have been secure, but now renewed attacks pushed all 3 defensive Armies below half strength. With defensive cannon shots and Zone of Control shots from the cavalry Army, the city barely held on long enough for a second group of reinforcements to arrive. Would the reinforcements be enough to turn back the onslaught?
-------------------------------------------------

Note that in that last picture the top defending Army is actually my original legion Army which was decisive against Babylon in the Ancient Era. Using the pentagon to put a rifleman in that Army made it nearly as tough as an all-rifleman entity. If I had not used Armies to defend Cumea, I would have lost about 1 rifleman per turn just due to lucky streaks by attacking cavalry (remember, America sent 10-14 cavalry/riflemen per turn on average; only the retreated cavalry show up in my screenshots). Now the mixed legion/rifle army is the strongest one left with the pure rifleman army battered to the red zone, and the cavalry/rifle army at around mid strength. At this point, probably more than 300 enemy units have been destroyed attacking the city.

Badass is right!!!

Good luck Zwingli!

Top Bottom