CTP2 source code

child of Thor

Chieftain
Modders to get source code?

In the last few days it looks like some of the programming team behind the CTP games have been in touch with people at Activision, with the aim of trying to get the source code for the CTP2 modding community. Its very ealry days but after months of efforts by the CTP2 community at apolyton it finally looks like they may get an answer over this issue.

If it does go ahead then it will mean the modders will be able to fix some of the issues that stopped CTP2 getting the recognition it deserved. It would also go some way to repairing the bad will that was created between the customers of the game and Activision.
More information is available over at the apolyton CTP2 forums. :)

Indeed. Our chances are looking good... we're going to get parts of the source, but we're really looking forward to getting all of it at the moment.

Praise us!

If only I could get to Apolyton.............. :(

I meant it was down at the time Matrix, not that I don't know where it is. :)

Well things are quiet for the momment on this(Poly is down again so i'm here posting again;) ).

We've had one of the programmers offering to help the modders with any problems/questions that might arise once(IF!) the code is released.

I'll say it again here - if Activision can do this, or at the very least explain why it cant be done(no bs please;) ), then i will start to buy their products again(I got very pi**ed over CTP2! and made a vow, which i've kept(Note: i buy on average 8-10 titles(2-3 full price) a year, it is getting less as the quality drops)).

So the ball is really in their court on this. It might take awhile to hear anything(The CTP2 fans have been after answers for many months!), but atleast something has been happening. This isn't just good news for CTP2 fans - all fans of the civ genre stand to get a really great game, one that continues the grand tradition of Civ(or kingdom if you back far enough).

Lets hope Activision can see the wood for the trees on this:thumbsup:

Correct you are, I have also promised to get another Activision product. Honestly, they don't have any games that I am interested in at the moment, but I'll get one nonetheless. I must say though that I get few titles... my only ones this year so far are Morrowind and Rise of Nations.

Well we got good news - Activision has decided to release the source code.It may take a while before the modders get it, but it is coming for definate.

All fans of the Civ games should rejoice for what this means is you will now have the ability to design and build the perfect civ game, you know that one you've always wanted to play
:D

And if that is way beyond your capability to do(as it is mine!), then don't worry as there will be plenty of people happy to have a go:goodjob:

Great news, surprising from a big company and i'll have to go and buy an Activision game like i promised:p
Thank you to all who helped make this happen:cool:

Wow, this is amazing news to me. There are so many great things about CtP/CtP2, but so many bad things. I would love to see the "ultimate" version of CtP.

Big respects to whomever made this possible.

Any idea how long such a code would be?

50,000 lines? 200,000 lines?

What compiler was used?

well most of the exact info is at apolyton(which seems to be down again!), but if memmory serves me its something like +150,000 lines of C++, jeez glad im not the one going through it all:crazyeye:
:)

Jees one single thread in a dead section of a another dead section of the whole forum and just because we talk about Apolyton its hunted down and killed. :(

You seem to be having some fun with the tacky smilies though Peter and i must say i dont envy you the task of digging through 100K, let alone 2M lines, im sure youll all find it very exciting though :D

Originally posted by Maquiladora
Jees one single thread in a dead section of a another dead section of the whole forum and just because we talk about Apolyton its hunted down and killed. :(

Yep, I think the A-word must upset some people around here :) we'd better be careful or this one will be closed too. No more A-word refugee camp :cry: :cry:

and I agree, something about searching through millions of lines of code just doesn't sound like very much fun, but I'm glad that there are those among us who are willing to do the dirty work.:goodjob:

ah yeah i was REALLY hoping it wasnt the +1.5million figure that kept swimming through my mind!!!:cry: :crazyeye: [plasma]

OUCH! and i hope they are pleased when we come here?:) Poly is down alot at the mo, so please dont ban us some more....pretty please:beer:

I got no problem with how many lines of code there are. I'm just hoping they used OOP principles, and the classes and function names are helpfull.

Just so you know why I don't care on the size, my game Empire is at something like 950,000 lines right now. :D

BTW, if you want to try a new version I uploaded last night, you might want to click http://members.dodo.com.au/~thesdale/download.html

Oh, I had to disable a lot of things (bugs to fix in them) like most of the AI, unit movement, but you can build a city. ;)

smalltalk asked about the compiler: I think Pyaray told MartinG that it was done using Microsoft Visual C++.

And I think that the 1.8 million will prove to be an upper limit. CTP1 had 500k lines and they took some stuff out of it (fuzzy logic and the space layer for sure).

Here's an attachment with some source that they released with the sprite maker. No one ever did anything with these functions because, as we were warned, they're "not for the faint of heart". I hope it's not all like this.

Attachments

• sprite functions.txt
    15 KB · Views: 126
Yeah, when it comes to lines of code, it's deceiving just to count the total. There's blank lines, comments, lines as simple as "x = y;" and such. So even though they give a certain figure, most of it's going to be either comments (which will be cut out anyways) or simple code excerts.

In my 950,000 lines at least 3/4's of that is comments.

Top Bottom