CoL Discussion: President of the Senate

zorven

12,000 Suns
The President of the Senate is responsible for posting slider instructions in the Turn Chat Instruction Thread. However, there are no provisions in the 3 Books for the absence of the Sentate President. This thread is to discuss if we want to amend our laws to account for this problem.

The Senate of the President is defined in CoL C.1.a.2:
Code:
2.  The Senatorial President shall be the Vice-President
        B.  The Senatorial President shall be empowered to 
            vote only when a Senate vote is tied.

(By the way, you can see the sub-section B should have been listed as A.)

The problem comes in at CoL C.1.c:
Code:
c.  The Senate shall meet prior to each turn chat and 
        vote on the slider settings for the next game play 
        session in a Senate Slider poll.
      1.  The results of this vote shall be posted by the 
          Senatorial President in the game play session 
          instruction thread.

One possible solution would be to add a sub-section 2 with wording along these lines:
Code:
      2.  The Senior Senator may post instructions for the
          Senate under the following circumstances.
        i.  Should no instructions be posted by the 
            President of the Senate within 24 hours of the 
            scheduled start of the game play session.
        ii. The President of the Senate is on a declared absence.

Since I forgot to clarify, the Senior Senator is the one that recieved the most votes in the last election. If there is a tie in that regard, it would be whoever signed up as a citizen first.

Hmm, should probably state it as the most senior Senator - that way we cover the absence of a Governor as well.

-- Ravensfire

I am not sure what you are referring to, Ravensfire.

Why aren't we addressing the posting of cash rush approvals since we're tinkering with this?

Originally posted by donsig
Why aren't we addressing the posting of cash rush approvals since we're tinkering with this?

I was addressing the absence of the VP with this proposal. But no reason we can't discuss other related areas.

By your question, I assume that you mean we should add text that requires the Senate Pres to post cash rush approvals in the Turn Chat Instruction Thread? If so, I don't see why we wouldn't add that. Is there support from other citizens to do this?

Yes, I too think cash rush approvals should be posted in the turn chat thread.

Is there any point at all in having a senoir senate? Why don't we just have something like, the guy who casts the deciding vote gets to post the decision in all posts as necessary.

'cos there's only 3 senate members, in the future there may be 5 or even 7; then the 2nd or 3rd, or 4th guy to cast a vote a particular way would be in effect casting the deciding vote. Why not just let him/her do the posting of the decision.

That way it's much faster, and works even when senoir senate is abscent. Also, probably less legal issues and more of a sense of community.

In response to Will_518:

The reason to have a Senior Senator is to have one defined, accountable person to post turn chat instructions when the VP is absent. I don't like your proposal because the responsible party would change with each vote and would put the burden on the Senators to determine the accountable person. I think this method could lead to situations where a senator did not realize their responsibility and instructions do not get posted.

I do however see your point conerning the possibility that the Senior Senator is also absent. I suppose one other option would be to allow the VP to assign posting responsibility to a Senator that has made the commitment to the VP to be available to post instructions.

Are there any other suggestions as to what to do if the VP is absent?

Top Bottom